Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ducking in for a minute to say hello. We've had severe storms and several tornados in the area since about noon, with one tornado passing just south of us. Deja vu all over again. Still safe here. Rex and the rest of the ARG, I hope you guys are all OK too. I'll post later when everything calms down.

Jim, keep your head down!

On my way out the door this morning I heard a train coming. The tracks are about a hundred yards form our door. I usually look for the locomotives, then I lose interest. This time I started to count the locos 1,2,3,4,5,6!,7!!,8!!!! Holy cow, that is the first time I've ever seen that. The DM&E train was traveling much slower than they usually do. From what I've been able to tell, DM&E usually runs SD 40-2's on this line. That is a whole lot of horsepower! I didn't have the time to count the cars behind the locos, but I would imagine that the train was quite long. I still can't believe how impressive that was!

Peace!

Evening.

To all the ARG members: Hope you guys are safe down there.

So tomorrow morning I am getting four wisdom teeth yanked out. Figured it would be cheaper to do while I still have dental insurance than it would be without it. The bottom ones are growing in sideways and need to go.

Haven't done any modeling lately, been busy with school. Today I figured out a few things, like my hood latch release cable needs to be repaired, and I should get a new set of jumper cables before mine break again. Thankfully my friend had his multitool so I was able to MacGyver some repairs so I could get my car started. Also learned later my other friend totaled this car this morning when he slide on some ice avoiding a head on collision. Instead he took out a utility pole. He is fine, and in rather good spirits considering what happened.

Everything ok in T-town...best I can tell tonight. We had several bad storms come through with the last having large hail. I'll have to check out the pickup and camper in morning for dents. Thank goodness the car was inside. Some limbs down, but nothing too major.

I knew something had to give when I went outside this morning and felt how warm and muggy it was...a strange feeling in the air. That is always a bad sign this time of year.

Phew! The cold front has finally passed and all the storms are to the south of us now. We had a surprise squall line form about 9:00 and spool up another tornado that passed just to the south of us again. We've been really lucky today. I think the total number of tornado warnings in the state today were somewhere around 100. I haven't heard of anything serious, thank goodness, but it looked like some of the worse weather was in a line from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta.

We had to head down to the basement three times today and, with four cats, this is a real challenge. Anyone got any ideas on how to round up cats when they are running in four different directions at once? I've thought of a stun gun but I don't think that idea will fly. :) Dianna and the girls would be heartbroken if the house really did get hit by a tornado and the cats died. I couldn't get one of the out from behind the couch for the last tornado warning and finally just got everyone else downstairs and just prayed the tornado missed us. I'm not about to risk the families life for cats but I sure would like to hear any ideas that someone who's better with cats than me has.

My bizarre record for causing weather havoc remains intact. This was my 63rd birthday and I spent the day herding cats. :eek:

Ah, good to hear from you, Rex, I was hoping everything was OK. It looked like some bad storms up there on the radar. Lots of hail down here too but mostly in Montgomery, some baseball sized. Hope your truck and trailer came through it without too many dents. Like I wrote yesterday, if the sun came out, things could get dicey. I felt the same thing as you this morning and had a real bad feeling about what was going to happen.

02-19-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png

:confused::):D;)

Good mornin Coffee Shoppers. We received some white and fluffy this mornin and the wind is a movin it around a little a bit so driving could be a little on the dicey side this morning. Yesterday was not a very good day for me as I had little sleep tues nite into weds morn. The shoulder was bothering me quite a bit so I must have over done what I was not supposed to do so yesterday I took it a lot easier. I went to bed last nite at 9PM and got a good nites rest and feel hunky dory this fine day.
Phillip The letters you are needing to finish your helmet are ordered but did not come in on Weds truck but should be here Fri providing the warehouse is not out of stock. I will let you know if they arrive Fri.
I hope all goes well for everyone today especially anyone who is having any kind a difficulties or problems.

Good morning people!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jim! It looks like Ma Nature gave you a rather cruel 'gift' yesterday with those storms. Glad you got thru them OK.

Rex - that's one of the reasons I've opted not to get any really fancy cars where I'd have to worry about marring the mirror-smooth appearance. All it takes is one hail storm.

Chris - I thought that wasn't supposed to go into effect until several months from now - or is that in addition to that other list of poisons?:confused:

Larry hope the shoulder is doing better

Well I had another op session last nite with Karl and two other guys from the FCSME. Overall it went quite smooth, and each guest was occupied with a train ~ 75% of the time. As with any time visitors come around, so do the gremlins. Cars that normally perform flawlessly were derailing, and my P2K GP38-2 reverted to its former habit of acting like it had oval-shaped wheels. I made a list of todo's to complete [hopefully] before next month's session.

Have a good'un!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks.

I have a long, boring day at work today. I think I may bring some reading material to keep myself busy.

Jim, I would try shaking a bag of treats, banging a spoon on the side of soft food, or the stun gun! Two out of the three should work. It's up to you to decide which two to use!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning. The current temperature is -9C and will be that way all day. We've got flurries/squallls all around so some areas may get up to 20cm of the white stuff. And we have 40-50kmh winds therefor giving us windchills---:(

I hope all of you in the south come out without too many dents from those hailstones:eek::eek:Thankfully I didn't hear any major reports of tornadoes so there might not have been too many(?):confused::confused:

I only have 1 client to work with today so it's going to be a short day. I'll try to do some photographic stuff today as this client lives near the CP yards here---that is if my hands don't freeze up before I get anything--:cool:

Mornin Gang!
Happy belated B-Day Jim! Sounds like all the south is getting some pretty crappy weather. We had snow/sleet/rain mix yesterday, but all was clear by the time I went to the op session at Ken's. More rain today, wind to follow, and I have firewood to cut! :(
Ken, Much improvement was noticed last night:D, but car cards might be the way to go. That way, all you have to do is clear trains for the main. Us grunts can assemble/break down trains according to the cards. That will keep us even busier, and you can do more "railfanning"!:D
Flo, I'm wiped out, can I just get my coffee in an IV bottle?

Karl--the card idea for OPs-does anyone have any ideas where one can pick up a template to do up cards of their own? I like that way but can't seem to find any useful--or does one make them up?:confused:

BTW-You might like raw caffeine in an IV bag--might wake a person up:D:D

BTW and a really belated happy birthday to you Jim.Teaches me to read the dang things before doing up the post:cool:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM!"
We now share the same age...for a few more months.:D

No hail damage...thank goodness! I believe the house blocked a lot of it since it was coming down near horizontal. Sure sounded like it would break the west side windows, though. The big pups sure showed there bravery during the hail. Almost broke their necks trying to get through their doggy door :D.

Got to crawl under the layout this PM and try to wire up that sig bridge. I don't have a decent stripper for 28awg wire, particularly Teflon coated. Guess I need to bite the bullet and buy one. Man, tools have gone up in price!

KenL: I always have a list of to-do's after an Op session, but it gets shorter and the Ops getting better each time.;) Don't know if you want to spend the cash, but RailOps is one heck of a good program for running operations. You don't have the handful and clutter of car cards all over the place and it prints out the train manifest randomly and automatically. It also helps keep the layout balanced with car locations. Read up on it at: http://www.railop.com/index.php?main_page=index

Afternoon, everyone. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Tranquility has once again returned to most of the Southland. Nice blue skies and cool today. It looks like one person was killed in a tornado right across the state line in Georgia but it's amazing there weren't more fatalities given the size of the tornado outbreak. The NWS is investigating about 40 possible tornados in 10 different counties in Alabama. It looks like most of them were either weak or hit in mostly unpopulated areas.

My neighbors are now even more convinced that I am personally responsible for bad weather here since the tornado last year was the day before my birthday and now we had another tornado outbreak on my birthday. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of them knotting up some ropes last night. :eek:

Rex, glad to hear the truck and trailer were spared. Sounds like the boys acted like typical dogs during a storm. :) It's a little disturbing to hear we are now both the same age since I'm obviously much younger than you. ;)

BOC, there are a bunch of car card templates available. Check out http://www.gatewaynmra.org/articles/essence-of-ops.htm for a very comprehensive article about car cards and waybills. It's easy to create them in MS Word or Publisher.

Karl, looks like the whole East Coast except Florida is in for a few days of clear weather finally. Sounds like you had a good time at Ken's place.

Corey, I've done the can of treats and bowls of food thing but they are on to me now. They have to go into two big pet taxis once I get them in the basement or they would destroy the layout in about 10 seconds flat and they hate being caged up. I'm thinking about a giant shop vac with a three foot diameter hose so I can go around the house and suck them all up at once. :D

BNSF, sure sorry to hear about the hours being cut. Unfortunately, with the government having announced almost a trillion dollars in new spending in the last three days and the market still at it's October lows, it's hard to see this getting better soon. Chris, the new whatever they're calling the $800 billion bill that got signed Tuesday is supposed to have about $200 billion to backstop state and local government budgets so maybe there's more hope for you.

Ken, I'm glad the ops session only had the normal amount of gremlins pop up. The software that Rex uses really is nice. No car cards to lose and you get a nice printed list of your manifest that you slap on a clipboard and check off as you pickup and drop off cars. Car cards do work but I'm the world's best at dropping one and losing it under the layout. I can screw up a whole railroad as one car sits blocking other cars because I never picked it up.

Larry, I hope your shoulder is doing better. No snow down here yet but Saturday night still looks interesting.

Dan, I hope the wisdom teeth came out without too many problems. Don't work on your car while you're doped up on pain pills though. I've done it and the results weren't good, even though I thought I was doing a pretty good job. :)

Haha Jim, I won't be needing the car for a couple days anyways. I told my teachers I won't be in class tomorrow just to get some extra down time. Everything went well and I was home 3 hours after I left. There is some pain right now, but nothing unbearable. I love having high pain tolerance.

Also Happy Birthday.

Let me start with Happy B-day Jim!:) Are you old enough to know better and still young enough not to care:confused::);):rolleyes:

I'm running on 3 hours of sleep today:eek: last night we had a real wack-a-do creaping around our street!!!!!!:eek: To make a long story short, end with my wife calling the cops and Jacob and me scaring him away! we were the third call on this guy! Not sure if the cops found him or not? But I have to say my wife was calm and Jacob(My 85lb. Black lab/Chow Mix) did his job too!:) My wife and Jacob get a steak dinners!:D

Ken, I only got to October 2009 before they decide what they are going to do! That's not that far away for my taste:rolleyes:

Jim, when it come to the Government...........I'm not holding my breath!

Jim- Congratulations on achieving another year of experience.
It disturbs me to realize I am Rex's age and you are so close behind. But it is comforting to know how much younger I look than you two.:D
I believe that hurricanes and tornados in the south are Mother Nature's compensation for the snow and ice in the north.
We dodged a couple of tornados over the house last night. We saw the funnel clouds up in the air and they did not touch down before they dissapated. Makes one a believer in the power of prayer!
Sorry I cannot enjoy the forum tonight. I must gather my tax information and begin to fill out those wonderful forms.

Mikey
Personally, I'll take the snow and ice. Yeah, I hate those 2-3 inch nuisance storms. I'd rather have a few real good snows. 4 wheel drive will get me where I want to go, and we have yet to have a snowfall deep enough to get the big Deere stuck plowing the driveway. All the B-more transplants that moved to the country will happily pay for big green tractor and me to plow out the driveway.;) Yeah, it may be cold, but at least the house is still standing! Besides, after fuel, all the rest goes in the hobby fund!! :D Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back