Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks.

Nothing going on around here. I'm just trying to cut as many expenses at work as I can. The owner appreciates the fact that I've owned my own store. It helps when you really need to look at the cost of something. Some of our employees aren't too happy about it. So far, I've managed to keep it respectable.

We're doing Valentines Day at the in-laws tonight. It should be a good time.

I hope you all fair well with you employment, health, weather!

Larry, it was good meeting you last night. For some reason I'd thought you were in that Horribly Oversized scale.......guess I should know better then to trust my memory!

Chris: My dad is getting laid off from the local school here, it is kind of funny because he may end up going back as a contractor for their phones. I also heard that the school board pretty much cut out the Art department. Guess it doesn't fit in with IB. They cut shop classes way back a couple years ago, and those are probably gone too now. A lot of former and current students are extremely upset at the decision.

The main reason our school gets hit so hard is we have open enrollment, so a majority of our students are from out of the city, where their parent's don't pay any taxes to us. And a majority of our town used to be stockyards, when those start closing done (and finally a year ago the rest went), we took a huge hit to our tax income, and although businesses are moving in, not fast enough.

I modeled in Normal scale at one time but because of my physical disabilities the smallest I can handle now is the Horribly Oversized stuff.

Afternoon, everyone.

I'll avoid any comment about scales. :)

Jeffrey, they have a deal going with MagicJack now to get five years for $60. Hard to beat $12 a year for unlimited long distance. My brother took his to Mexico last year with his laptop and was able to use it with the hotel wi-fi to call back home at no charge.

I really hate to see vocational programs being cut back in high school. My brother was a terrible in regular high school but really blossomed when he got into the electronics shop. That set him off on a career path where he ended up retiring as second vice-president of Honeywell after 34 years. He probably would have ended up flunking out of high school if he had to stay with a scholastic program.

Corey, owning your own business has to be a big help in terms of controlling costs for your boss. In this economy, cutting costs may mean the difference between survival or joining all the other empty store front. :(

CJ, that's a fine looking caboose. I still have a Wright Trak bay window caboose I haven't even started on yet.

Dan, maybe your town will get a big stimulus check to make everything all better again. :rolleyes:

BOS, sounds like Alabama Power took lessons from your hydro guys. For some reason, if I was a young single guy, I don't think tree armatures would be uppermost on my mind today. :cool:

Chris, that's cool that your son is leaning how to be a man. It's a tough thing to teach nowadays. I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about being laid off. OTOH, I have to find ways to protect my money and hopefully make a few bucks income out of it before I run out. I'm completely out of common stocks now and in corporate bonds. If they implode, I guess under the mattress is the next place ti goes. :(

Finished passing out flowers to all the women in my life. I think we should have a national model railroader's day, when all the women have to buy us locomotives. A nice Spectrum or two wouldn't have cost much more than all the flowers, that's for sure. For some reason, Dianna thinks this is a bad idea. :confused: Cloudy and mild today with the chance for some rain tomorrow but nothing severe on the horizon so we'll take what can get and be thankful.

Hi gang

Those of you with 'significant others', I hope you have some special plans for Valentines Day that are not train-centered...;) Vicky and I will be having dinner at the Outback Steakhouse [a highly popular restaurant chain in central MD].

Dan - how's that leg injury, did it resolve?

Phillip - it's great that you were able to meet a fellow Forum member in your own area, especially modeling the same scale!

Jim - that's scary about that flourescent fixture. I once saw a power cord on an old water distiller burst into flames in our laundry room!:eek: Luckily I was able to fan out the flames and disconnect the cord before any serious damage was done. [The distiller was carted off to the landfill the following Saturday.]

Chris - how soon before you know what cost-cutting option your employer chooses? Hope it's the one you wanted...

Went into the trainroom this morning and test-ran a P2k SW-9 on all the mill tracks that I finished GLEAMing last night. So far so good! The headlights never flickered, except for a turnout with faulty wiring that I already knew was bad. Before I pop the cork on the champagne though, I want to make sure it still works this good 3 months from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, they have a deal going with MagicJack now to get five years for $60. Hard to beat $12 a year for unlimited long distance. My brother took his to Mexico last year with his laptop and was able to use it with the hotel wi-fi to call back home at no charge.
Isn't that something? I've used mine at several hotels. I just ask if I can borrow a computer for a few minutes, plug the MagicJack with my little phone into the USB port, the automatic installer installs the software and I'm up and running. After the call I just uninstall the software from the persons computer and that's that. There's nothing to it! The nice thing is that nobody can monitor your call on a scanner.

Chris, OTOH, I have to find ways to protect my money and hopefully make a few bucks income out of it before I run out. I'm completely out of common stocks now and in corporate bonds. If they implode, I guess under the mattress is the next place ti goes. :(

If I get sued by life, then to your house I will look for my next pay check:D

Thanks for the concern guys. My knee still hurts a bit when I stand up or sit down, but it is doing a lot better.

I have to go get the house cleaned. We are taking a loan out against it for the family business so we can afford to stay in business.

Dan good luck on that one--they're getting really stingy now that they let the horses out'n the barn---:cool:

UP2CSX Audrey wasn't feeling too good this morning so we're doing the going out when she gets better--probs Tues. night. We got to actually SEE something out of our collection of DVD's --Typical collector--buys movies and then is about 3000 movies behind in watching them:rolleyes::eek:
The pole was replaced eventually but---:eek::eek:

Well I'm not doing anything with trees tonight--Audrey's sleeping and I'm playing with Spring. He got into a bout of silly pickles and is running around the house---:);)

Went down to my parents house to watch Wheel of Fortune then stopped by my sister's place on the way back. We watched Bill Engel on the Comedy Channel. He was talking about his trip into the wild blue yonder with the Thunderbirds. That was absolutely hilarious!

We have a 60% chance of rain tonight and it's not missing the oppurtunity to rain out my work project some more. The rain is coming down to beat the band.

Good Morning from Ye Olde London Towne. Its finally warming up, currently 4c (39f) going to 8c (46f) Liking the new cafe. Glad to see the old girls back. That last bunch looked like Flo borrowed them from a low rent massage parlour. :D

Not been around lately as I managed to damage a muscle in my shoulder making typing all but impossible. Still, it gave me a few days off and some rest. Amidst all the econimic gloom and doom things are pretty busy for me. My company and their 'strategic partners' have me pencilled in for projects lasting the next 18-24 months. Good in a way but apart from a few long weekends it means no extended vacations for a while.

Spent yesterday at the "local" (75km away?) North American Modelling club's operation session. Great fun was had with their modular layout. I'm thinking its time to join a club properly for the first time in years. Since they meet Saturdays I may actually be able to get to meetings.

Take care everyone and have a great week.

Flo, steak and eggs please. Mooing rare.

02-15-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png

:confused:;):rolleyes::)

Good Morning people-We're going to a high of -2C today in a mix of sun/cloud. Tomorrow will be mainly sunny and a high of 2C so quiet for a few days--:):)

Andrew In your case 75km would be local--I'm always travelling up to Clinton sometimes and that's about 120km(?) from here. :)

Today will be the dreaded honey do list day--then I'll get to hunt for a couple of kits to build something from. I put things away for safekeeping only to have them vanish into thin air---:confused::confused:

--then I'll get to hunt for a couple of kits to build something from. I put things away for safekeeping only to have them vanish into thin air---:confused::confused:

Sounds like you have an infestation of kit gnomes. Put something away and the little b*ggers move it to someplace else. :D I was looking for a function cheat sheet for a sound loco yesterday. I'm positive it was in the box with the loco. Blasted gnomes had moved it into my DCC manuals binder. :eek: They are always rearranging things and moving things.

Phillip - it's great that you were able to meet a fellow Forum member in your own area, especially modeling the same scale!

Yeah, I'd have shook his hand, but I'm afraid I'd have enjoyed it more then Larry would've, what with his recent surgery and all.

Sounds like you have an infestation of kit gnomes. Put something away and the little b*ggers move it to someplace else. :D I was looking for a function cheat sheet for a sound loco yesterday. I'm positive it was in the box with the loco. Blasted gnomes had moved it into my DCC manuals binder. :eek: They are always rearranging things and moving things.

You guys have those too? I've got dozens of those little guys around here, and they seem to work overtime hours for free! And they don't limit themselves to my train stuff either! Everything is fair game for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back