Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Good morning. It's 48° with patchy fog and 90% humidity. The high will be 78°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

Nothing particular planned for today, just more resting and movie watching. I may get some cleanup work done on the layout later depending on how I feel.
I hope all who had to contend with Sandy fared well and you don't have too much in the way of damage.

P4210150.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 43 F when I headed out onto the roadways this morning. Our high is going to be 50 F. It was cold enough this morning that the house heater kicked on for the first time this season.

The ride into work took a little longer but was not too bad. I only had to detour around a couple of closures. I did see a good number of other roads closed due to downed trees and wires. I did not see much evidence of flooding in our area.

As far as we know Halloween is still on in our township. My son is on the fence about trick-or-treating. I think it will depend on what his friends do. My daughter is supposed to go to a Halloween party at her friend’s house down the street. The wife and I will be home on the front patio with the fire pit handing out candy.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good, late afternoon Guys & Gals,
It been rather cloudy here all day with high clouds an about 52* this morning and about 60* now and possible chance of rain.

I did get some new wiper blades for myself and a lady friend yesterday and put them on both cars. Her's took two and my Eclipse takes 3, one on the rear hatch window. Oh, oddly enough NAPA said the complete wiper assembly that snaps onto the wiper arm was less than just the blade alone! Go figure??

It's been some time since I've gotten around to getting on the forum, just been busy with other things and side track, not the RR though unfortunately.

Speaking about the RR though I did have Bill over as he wanted to take a look at what I had done and I tried to run a train for him but either something in my Aristo-Craft radio hand throttle went bad or something in my Troller transformer? I don't think it's anything in the hand throttle, as I just charged the 9v battery but I still couldn't get any response from increasing the throttle power?? Well I'll have to do some more checking but I've got a feeling it may be the power transistor in the Troller transformer although as I recall when they went out things ran at full speed but of course I didn't have the inline control for the hand throttle before either?

More checking to do and it seems rather odd as I haven't used it in quite a while but there has been no power to it either?? RR detective time.

Talk with you all again

The grain elevator is nowhere near ready to set up but I wanted to see how the main pieces would look together. So I set them up on the only clear place on the layout at this point, the park. I haven't added any details as there's still plenty of work to be done on the silos and the main structure. It fairly crude at this point.

P1011765.jpg

There goes the kids play ground area! Well, that's advancement! Just kidding of course.

It looks like a very good start Jeff. Is it from a kit or are you scratch building it? Sorry I didn't read back on the prior posts about it. I didn't realize it was that big!

Anyway it's looking good.

There goes the kids play ground area! Well, that's advancement! Just kidding of course.

It looks like a very good start Jeff. Is it from a kit or are you scratch building it? Sorry I didn't read back on the prior posts about it. I didn't realize it was that big!

Anyway it's looking good.
So far it's all scratch built. PVC pipe, cardboard boxes, printed paper, some bits of plastic I cut from the wall of a kit. I have some details from an elevator kit that will be going on it.

It's been a somewhat restful day for me. The ankle isn't hurting quite as much now as it was in previous days. Tomorrow morning I have to go down and keep an eye on my mother and make sure she gets her meds. There's usually a private nurse that comes in every day and watches over her but she can't make it tomorrow for some reason or other. Tomorrow is the 1st so that means I also have to go into town to pay some bills and get gas. My legs going to be feeling bad after all that!

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P4140085.jpg

Good Morning

Welb..it is another rainy, cold, blustery day here...one of several we had.

Today is going to be a somewhat slower day for us'uns...I had another chemo/radiation session yesterday and so, my energy is a little on the low side...hopefully the session tomorrow will be the last one..and I won't need another set....dang thing:mad::mad:

Sandy did take a swipe at some beachfront around Sarnia...which made for some interesting times...:eek:

Good morning. It's 50° with 97% humidity and dense fog. Later it'll be mostly sunny with a high of 82°.
cond026.gif

Well the morning will be pretty much shot. I have to go down to my parents place this morning and see that my mother gets her breakfast and morning meds then be there to watch over her until my father gets home. Later I have to go to town to pay bills, buy gas and groceries and do whatever else I need to get done.

DSCN0807.jpg

Good morning folks.

We're stuck in a nice pattern around here. Cloudy or partly cloudy and 50. Not bad since we're getting near winter around here.

Things have been going well at work and trains have been patiently waiting for me. I hope to add the WS water effects to my river on Sunday. I've been meaning to do that for two weeks now!:D

Time to get ready for work.
I hope all doing well.

Good morning folks

It was 40 F as I hit the highways this morning. Our high will be 53 F.

Last night was the usual Halloween chaos. My daughter had to get ready to go to a party. At the last minute my son and his friends decided that they were going to go trick-or-treating and then come back to the house for a small get together. In the middle of this I discovered that I had to make a run to pharmacy to pick up medication for my wife.

For Halloween the trick-or-treaters started out slow. We had only 6 in the first hour. It did pick up. Overall I would say we had about 60 show up. That is about the normal amount we have gotten the last few years. Before we used to get about 150. We did run out of candy this year but it was right at the end of the night anyway.

My son has a freshman football game today. Not sure if he will play. He did not go to practice yesterday. He came home and helped clean up some more of the storm debris. He wasn’t sure whether they had practice or not given the condition of the field.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, America! It's 35 degrees now and headed to 55-60 for a high with partly sunny skies. We've got a whole lot of candy left; we only had three trick-or-treaters last night. Some years we've had fifty or sixty. The last two came late in the evening and, needless to say, made quite a haul! We live in a neighborhood that is located on a dead end street, so it is fairly secluded...............and quiet!:cool: The best kept secret in town.

Back from the morning duty call. Went to town and got the van inspected. From there went to pay on my loan, get gas and buy groceries.

Speaking of groceries, Ezra Johnson bought his wife a new grocery getter. Traffic jams shouldn't be a problem.

P1011773.jpg

Ah, the '41 Willy's pickup (we call 'em Utes, short for utility vehicle). Had one once that had been a panel van, cut down to a flat bed. Unfortunately got squashed between a bus and an ice cream van with me in it, folded the chassis.

Don't think that would happen with that one though.

When she was a teenager my mother had the use of a Willy's vehicle, a sporty little thing. She was always very careful with it. One day she was in downtown Tyler when a truck carrying a big load of large pipes lost it's load. Guess where it landed. Right on top of the Willy's which she had just parked two minutes before. It was smashed flat!

My mates and I had a lot of fun in that flat bed. It had a canvas cover on a steel frame over the deck and some would pile onto the back with 3 of us squeezed into the tiny cab (lucky it was column shift), and for being just a 4 cylinder it was a peppy little thing and could out corner just about anything else that was on the road in those days thanks to it's lightness and that it had great tele shocks.

That is one fairly tall monster truck.....I would say. The wheels without the tires look to be around 48 or more inches in diameter. That would likely win some kind of award at our county fair. :)

Good Evening All,

It's been fairly comfortable around here at about 60* most of the day and then a slight bit of light rain started but didn't last long.

Jeffery said: So far it's all scratch built. PVC pipe, cardboard boxes, printed paper, some bits of plastic I cut from the wall of a kit. I have some details from an elevator kit that will be going on it.

That looks darn good Jeff, scratch building can be fun and rewarding. I still feel bad for the poor kids loosing their play area in the park. LoL

I think I found my problem with my hand Aristo-Craft Radio hand throttle, I think something must have got disconnected in the sending unit as the light showing that it's on wasn't lit so I need to take it apart to see if I can repair it? I hope so as otherwise I'm dead in the water and I love the freedom the Radio hand throttle allows me.

Wish I could find a back-up unit. It's there basic Train Engineer model ART 5480 just in case anyone should run across one. Kindly let me know.

Take care

Good Evening.

It has been dull and dribbly here all day...only got to 40F ...here in the mighty burg of dribbleville....tomorrow I will be heading in to get this latest session done and away with...

Back