Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

It's 42° here with 82% humidity. It'll be sunny with a high of 65°.
condsunny-1.jpg

Not a good morning for me. My ankle is causing me a lot of pain so I'm trying to stay off it as much as possible. Good thing I didn't have any plans to go anywhere. I may be able to get some cleanup work done on the layout today. It just depends on how I feel later.

Looks like nasty Sandy is making her move. Good luck to all in her path.

P1011758.jpg

Getting a good pelting of rain and some 20mph wind here in King George, VA. Got all my batteries charged up. Bags of ice in the freezer to extend the freeze ability. Bath tubs filled with water for the toilets. Jugs of water sitting in the garage to keep cool. Propane tank filled so I can BBQ. Plenty of material on hand to work on the layout if power goes out.

Good afternoon folks

Waiting for the worst of Sandy to come. We have been getting waves of heavy rain since midnight. Now the wind is picking up and we have had some big gusts. I am afraid we are going to lose one of the trunks off the tree in the front yard. I moved the van into the neighbor’s driveway to get it from under the trunk. We are starting to get some water in the basement in the usual spot by the heater. It will follow the wall to the drain.

I hope we got all the preparations done. We are trying to get all the laundry done. We are hoping the power stays on. I was off from work today. I am reading that the PA Governor is going to close all the interstates and major highways this evening or earlier.

Looks like the center of the storm will pass about 10 to 15 miles southwest of us sometime over night.

Like others have said if you I don’t get back to the forum it will because the power is out.

I hope everybody has a good day.

It's 7:30pm and, according to the dart-throwers, we're due to be catching the worst of the wind effects at 8:00pm. I'm amazed we still have power! So I better hit the POST button before the lights go ahead. Prayers for my fellow members in the path of Sandy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 7:30pm and, according to the dart-throwers, we're due to be catching the worst of the wind effects at 8:00pm. I'm amazed we still have power! So I better hit the POST button before the lights go ahead. Prayers for my fellow members in the path of Sandy.

Hey ken,,, its 804,,,were still here!!:D:rolleyes:

Good luck to you guys in the east. We just have had our fourth day of rain and some wind too at times.

Mike

Evening..

Been raining and getting windier as I type...winds trending north to northeasterly at 40 mph gusts up to 55 mph right now..supposedly getting higher later on.

So far power is still on although I did notice that down the road a ways no lights on....trees looking pretty bare of leaves right now.

Better be getting off the 'puter here...try to have a safe evening here....

It's snowing here with moderate intensity right now. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. :cool: The cars have about a quarter inch on them. First white stuff this fall.

Good morning - not that there's much actually good about it. Appears that NYC really got clobbered last night, water 13ft above normal in some areas of lower Manhattan, subway system flooded! :eek::( Prayers for everybody there and on the northeastern Atlantic coast.

Incredibly my neighborhood hasn't lost power [and Karl it looks like you guys were still doing ok, glad to hear it]. Too early to pop the champagne corks yet though, TWC is still predicting 30mph winds here thru this afternoon from the backside of this system - and all it takes is one falling tree to plunge us into darkness.

Stay safe everyone!

Good morning. It's 35° with 100% humidity. Weather guesser doesn't say it but it's foggy here. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 72°.
cond026.gif

Yesterdays rest did me a lot of good. Leg still hurts but it's down to a somewhat intense throbbing pain, not the sharp stabbing pain it was yesterday. Today will be more rest and watching more movies. I keep the DVR stocked with plenty and delete them after I watch them to make room for more.

The layout is still a mess. Never got to it yesterday. Maybe today.

P4200142.jpg

Good Morning

Welp...here at our manse our anenometer read at 1:35 am a gust from the north of 110 kph...about 75 mph. We lost power for about 2 hours after that...London Hydro took care of that little interruption...there are a number of pockets around here that have yet to see power restored as winds have taken a lot of trees down. The big ol' Maple tree that used to sit in behind our crescent went down taking a number of townhouses with it..neighbourhood is taking care of the victims here....

So, with all that out of the way I'll be having a coffee as I look over the forums......help those in need of help...take care ...

The grain elevator is nowhere near ready to set up but I wanted to see how the main pieces would look together. So I set them up on the only clear place on the layout at this point, the park. I haven't added any details as there's still plenty of work to be done on the silos and the main structure. It fairly crude at this point.

P1011765.jpg

Good evening folks

We made it through the storm without losing power. That is a first for us. We did not escape unscathed, however. One of the trunks on the tree in the front yard came down. At first we thought it missed the house. While we were clearing the tree my wife noticed damage to a downspout. Looking at the house we could see scrapes along the roof molding and some mortar knocked out. I can’t tell if there is any damage to the wall behind the downspout or to the roof itself. Called the insurance company and they will have someone look at in a few days.

Not much else happening now. I am sore from cutting the tree. We still have about a quarter of the trunk to finish cutting up.

It was a little scary last night with the wind. Before the tree came down we were seeing flashes and the whole neighborhood lit up. We then saw that the flashes were coming from a couple of blocks away. A few moments later the fire trucks started appearing and the smell of burning wood was everywhere. Then we started having flashes in the opposite direction. I kept expecting to wake up in the middle of the night to find that the power was out.

Overall we were lucky. I cannot believe the damage at the Jersey Shore.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Hiya y'all!
It was a noisy storm,. but with the exception of a ton of leaves in the yard, with a bunch of sticks, we made it through unscathed.:D
Of course the worst part was driving home from work at 6:30 last night! :eek: Fun!
but we made it.
Ken, glad to hear you made it through,
Tom, sorry about the tree incident, but it could have been much worse.
Hopefully everyone else made it through ok
Well, gotta run,,,sloppy Joes are ready!:D

I've been trying to get hold of some of my friends in New Jersey without luck. Atlas' website is down, no one is answering the phone, and none of the phone numbers of anybody I know are working, either. I hope it's just the phone lines, though Hillside (where Atlas' offices are) is very close to the water.

Time for me to call it a night. Not hurting so much tonight. Maybe I'll be able to get a descent amount of sleep. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011769.jpg

Good Morning

We be all energetic here...checked out the neighbourhood...apart from what was said earlier, only three trees in our immediate neighbourhood went down...and took wires down with them...few pockets still left with no power here...did hear about one woman in TO that died due to flying debris from the storm...prayers for her family..and many others....

Back