Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Well I'm back in business. It was a family affair. The guy from the electric company showed up to cut the power and went on his way to other calls. My father located a new service pole, my niece paid for it and her husband went to DeRidder to pick it up. Then he and one of my nephews friends dug a three and a half foot hole to stand the pole in. The boxes and associated hardware were attached to the pole. I made sure the wiring of the boxes and the service plug were OK and my nieces husband fitted the insulator to the top of the pole. My niece called the electric company guy back and he came and reconnected the lines. I turned on the service breakers one by one. No sparks flying. Everything is working.

Well I'm back in business. It was a family affair. The guy from the electric company showed up to cut the power and went on his way to other calls. My father located a new service pole, my niece paid for it and her husband went to DeRidder to pick it up. Then he and one of my nephews friends dug a three and a half foot hole to stand the pole in. The boxes and associated hardware were attached to the pole. I made sure the wiring of the boxes and the service plug were OK and my nieces husband fitted the insulator to the top of the pole. My niece called the electric company guy back and he came and reconnected the lines. I turned on the service breakers one by one. No sparks flying. Everything is working.

Glad to hear you got it done, but if that isn't a backward way to do things. If the power companies up here operated like that, alot of folks would be in the dark! ;)
Of course, it is one way to thin the herd!:rolleyes:

A lot of people can't do it like I did as they lack the knowledge. They usually call in a handyman to put up the pole and get an electrician to wire and pass the equipment.

Busy day for me today. First moved the stuff from my fridge down to one of the fridges at my parents place. Then with a lot of help from family got the power problem taken care of. All that while my right leg was beyond the point of surrender. I was on it a lot today but what else could I do. I can hardly walk now and it's probably going to be hurting very badly in the morning. I have the heater turned on low tonight. It's 46 and is supposed to get down to 38 tonight. It never got over 59 today.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow. I'll probably be to the point of crawling.

P4270245.jpg

Good Evening

Well, we had a band practice of our'n own here tonight....all three of us. I have a gig to get to next weekend and we hope to have someone there video us up there...this oughta be fun:rolleyes:... Of course it all depends on how I take to the treatments again...:eek:

My goodness...Jeff...that sounds like too much stuff to do in one day..but as you say..it has to be done at some point. Just take it extra slow tomorrow...:)

Good Morning

We be doing the thing here..getting all the patio furniture put away..prepped the generator yesterday....all that fun stuff...:eek::rolleyes:

All I can say is it better not stall out and sit over us...grinding out barrels of rain and wind...:rolleyes::mad:

Good morning. It's 38° with 97% humidity which makes it feel even colder. A northwest wind off the lake isn't helping matters any. It'll be mostly sunny with an expected high of 65°.
cond026.gif

Cold out here on the side of the lake this morning. I'm glad I have heat. Nothing much going on today. I'll be getting my stuff from my parents fridge and bring it back up here to mine. Right now all the food I have is rice, some chili and a few pasta dinners. There may be some layout work today but I somehow doubt it. My right leg is hurting so badly I can't hold my weight on it for long. I think the bulk of my activity today will be watching some movies.

P4270246.jpg

Hi gang!
Light mist of rain and light easterly winds greet us this morning. Looks like Sandy is heading further north before it comes ashore. (Yeah!!)
Gotta go check out why the blower fan isn't working in the wifes car, then maybe a trip to the LHS today before the weather gets nasty.
L8ter!

Good morning upon thine most sacred of railroad fans....and all yee track laying enthusiast types. How iseth thou art today? :) The itsy-bitsy spider must have went up the waterspout......as in......down cameth the rain for the last three days. Heavens to mergatroid already.....when shall this cease to be? :rolleyes:

Mike

Good afternoon coffee shop patrons. Nice to see some old faces still around. Been busy for the past year or so. Got engaged moved to Erie PA bought a house and I'm till trying to unpack. I'm in the planning process of a new Eire PA region based layout. My fiancee has been busy playing with the 1:1 scale stuff as a overseas Train Control Engineer for GE trans. I look forward to hanging out with you guys again as I get settled out here and begin the new layout.

The new place, built in 1905, 2500sqft of finished space, large walk up attic and full head height basement.

home sweet home
2012-08-1918-07-29843-S.jpg

just some of the wood work on the first floor
IMG0223-S.jpg

OOoooohh! love that timber panelling.

Nice and strong to screw L brackets to fo' Roun' the walls layout :D:D

Good evening folks

We are waiting for Sandy. We have done all the preparing that we can do. It has been raining steadily since about 5 PM. Winds are not blowing too hard. It is supposed to get worse overnight. According to the latest track the “eye” will pass about 15 miles southwest of us. Looks like South Jersey and the Wilmington, DE area are in the bulls eye. Landfall is supposed to be along the South Jersey coast sometime late tomorrow. AMTRAK, SEPTA, and NJ Transit are shutting down overnight. I still have not heard from work about tomorrow. The schools are closed tomorrow and Tuesday.

We got out for a little. My daughter attended a volleyball open gym outside of Wilmington. Traffic was lighter than normal for a Sunday afternoon. There were lines at the gas station. The open gym went well and she will be trying out for this club.

Train time will depend on having power. If there is power I may get some modeling time since there won’t be other things to do that would get in the way.

I hope everybody has a good evening.

Good Evening

Got the last minute things bought..all stocked up on batteries for the flashlights, candles, and other whatzits...plus other groceries such as needed. Like I said before..generator at the ready and what all else besides....

Around here they are forecasting anything from 2" just west of us to 6" around the Toronto ON region...and winds around 40-65 mph...who knows what merry mayhem might develop....:eek:

Here is hoping that everyone makes it through OK....:)

Well other than moving my perishable stuff from my parents fridge to mine and going to town to get gas for the van I accomplished an incredible amount of absolutely nothing today. I mostly laid around with my feet up and watched some movies. Once in a while I'd check to see what was going on online. It's been a slow day.

It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0988.jpg

Good evening yall,

Finished my preparations for Sandy...I think? Seems like I'm always discovering something else that I overlooked...like having an indoors stash of firewood. Overworked myself trying to bring in too many logs at once, hyperventilated and got dizzy (thought the rain was gonna start any minute). Then I installed some additional temporary wood braces on my shed doors, since the latch seems a bit weak against possible 70mph wind gusts. Parked my vehicles right in front of the garage doors as close as I could get 'em, in order to partially deflect the wind. I do believe this is the "preparedest" I've ever been for a storm!:D

I think these hurricanes are to the Weather Channel, what Christmas is to retail merchants. They keep talking about how "this storm's gonna be the largest and most devastating storm in history!" <ultra-dramatic music in background to set the mood> I bet their viewership increases a hundredfold in times like this, and they want to keep 'em riveted. Wish I could get the tracking and projected path info without having to be subjected to these armageddon-style videos...

Good Morning

Well, they have a wind warning out for us'uns here...winds from the north this afternoon 35-45 mph then up to 55-60 mph all night into tomorrow before it all dies down...apparently we are only going to get about 2" of rain here...after all the dang rain we got all last week....:rolleyes::eek:

If you all do not hear/read me on this forum it will be because we have lost power as well....so take care, everyone!!:)

Back