Search results

1. T

Glue a bridge down, don't do it ???

Have a 150' CV truss bridge running over a 4 track main line, glue it to the bridge abutment or not. Little unsure about this, don't want to accidently hit the bridge and damage it for some reason but it will be secured by the rack leading up to it from both ends obviously. Practical...
  2. T

Floquel out of business..........

and they made a Concrete color spray that was quick and applied nicely to the AIM product castings and plastics from other manuf. Has anyone found or care to share if they have a replacement color in spray can that yields good results. The dealers, or what few are left here in KC are sold out...
  3. T

Transition from foam to 3/4" plywood

Adding on to existing portion of layout where the roadbed is built up on about 5" inches of the high density blue foam that's commonly used. Only about 16-18 inches of this area built up which will lead to this new section in which I will use 3/4 plywood. Any concerns or experience is welcome...
  4. T

Cost of Intermountain ?

Have not posted in a awhile or spent $ on any new rolling stock. Family, business, baseball (etc) has consumed a lot of time and I am back working on layout and running equip. Like the intermountain Hoppers & Tank Cars the best and want to add some more to my roster. Like everything else...
  5. T

Ok one nore Norfolk Southern ?

Only b/c my original thread has morphed into a debate I will ask due to my own ignorance between the brands. Are the Kato and Atlas Engines comparable with repsect to pulling power and/or quality. The Kato's in the last thread all went for north of $100, a couple at $175 and now these Atlas...
  6. T

Norfolk Southern ? again

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Kato+HO+Norfolk+Southern&_sacat=See-All-Categories Not familar with Kato NS and wondering whats so custom about these. I see the hoses are installed and maybe a few added cab details but why are these custom. I ask b/c not to...
  7. T

Why so much $ for NS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170392303705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Is this just a fruit cake that just wants one so bad or were these things produced in such liimted quantity the capitalism 101 proves itself correct. Also noted the SD70M in Genesis will cost a Ben...
  8. T

My yard is finished, what to do ??

Read more here than post so I want to tap into the knowledge of others. A pretty good chunck of my layout is up and running. I designed it with (3) 19' open staging tracks, 1 flyby track at left and 2 mainlines at right, which are 30' The mains would allow for staging as well. The entire...
  9. T

Intermountain hoppers...tough to find !!!

I cannot seem to locate these and have looked pretty consistantly over the last year. So educate me on these hoppers, are they non-existant....sucked up and just plain out of luck. ExactRail makes a similar type but holy moly they are pricey. I don't want to miss out adding these to my...
  10. T

What is it with TTX box cars

in HO scale. Genesis made several of the Gunderson 60' footers but they seem to be hard to locate and out of production. When you find them they are more than MSRP and I have seen some older NIB ones go for $35-$45 on ebay. Then I happen to see Exactrail is making some Trinity Plug Door...
  11. T

Cylindrical Hoppers, have they gone away

My son was at a BB tourney this weekend by a NS line near KC. I noticed I was not seeing this type of hopper at all. Forgive my ignorance but are these now being phased out or did I just miss them. Running 1990's to near present day and have about 20 IMRC type and was just wondering if they...
  12. T

Any hobby shops please help if

you have any Shinohara #8 curved LH in code 100. I need two, please pm if you have any available. We are out locally and my understanding it could be months before they are available. Thanks
  13. T

Possible problem with grade ?

HO scale I want to run a .50 to .75% grade that leads into a #8 turnout. The turnout it self will not be on grade and will be level. How much before and after the turnout should I make sure the track is level leading into the turnout that allows for smooth operation and know uncoupling...
  14. T

LBF freight cars

I have seen a few of late on ebay that are RTR, anyone have any experience with them. Are they comparables to Athearn RTR's ? I doubt they compare to I-Mountain by the looks ut I just don't know. Anyone........Anyone.......
  15. T

KATO AC4400's/ Hard wiring needed...

Not completely familar with them I have recently purchased a couple and realized I had to hard wire a bunch of the early run SD40's from Kato. Someone please tell me I won't have to do that on these. I assume they (Kato) made only one run but I am far from a expert.
  16. T

Athearn Genesis

Was told that name is going away by a local hobby shop employee for rolling stock and will stay for engines only when they are produced. RTR production will remain. Anyone else heard this, any truth to it ?????
  17. T

Loco question/prototypes

1)BNSf in the MAC70's, (colors below) from what I can find they seem to be used most for coal hauling. I ask the experts here. Do they use these engines in these colors for intermodel, grain or other service. I have seen them personally running through KC out of the Powder River Basin and...
  18. T

how to remove numbers

RE: Athearn Genesis # removal is it as simple as using a pencil eraser, was at a local hobbie shop and they said such. I don't want to take a chance unless I have a good idea. I suspect certain manf. have differing ways of painting.
  19. T

Layout lighting re-visited

There have been a couple of lengtly threads on this topic and I have read through them to the point it became confusing. 1) If you don't want fading of walls and/or scenery by UV rays given off by certain bulbs what type should I use ? also 2)what type use the least amount of...
  20. T

New releases......do you wait ???

With the economy being in a holding pattern and this type of hobby certainly being effected in some regards at what point have you or do you wait for pricing to come down on a new release. Meaning: for you guys with more experience can you share some real experiences about things you have...

Back