Possible problem with grade ?

tlark

HO scale I want to run a .50 to .75% grade that leads into a #8 turnout. The turnout it self will not be on grade and will be level. How much before and after the turnout should I make sure the track is level leading into the turnout that allows for smooth operation and know uncoupling problems. I know its a very slight grade, just want to be safe.

I hope this is explained well enough and assume the grade should be leveledd off at least the distance of the turnout before and aft.

anyone.......anyone

I would still make it as close to the length of a box car as I could...it's a worthwhile goal, especially for steamers that are 8-coupled and higher. If you can't manage at least four inches, then make doubly sure there is no superelevation and no curvature. Ingress to the frog should always be as flush as possible for about six-eight inches outboard of the frog, itself.

Will you still be able to have the grade you envision with 6" of transition on either end of it?

Two much grade

I hope you’re only switching one car at a time. I would say 2 feet on both sides of the switch. That's only my guess.

NYC_George

1/2 to 3/4 inch rise in 100 inches is not very much and shouldn't cause problems. Make sure your two longest pieces of equipment stay coupled at the transition, the vertical curve from flat to sloped.

Back