how to remove numbers

tlark

RE: Athearn Genesis # removal

is it as simple as using a pencil eraser, was at a local hobbie shop and they said such. I don't want to take a chance unless I have a good idea. I suspect certain manf. have differing ways of painting.

Don't use a pencil eraser! It will take off the number but it will also damage the underlying paint, as Josh said. A little alcohol on a Q-Tip will usually work fine to remove numbers without doing anything bad to overall paint.

alcohol=rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.

not Jim Beam or Crown Royal......or Everclear.

I purchased non-acetone nail polish remover from Walmart and used it to remove some lettering from a few vehicles. It's potent so if you rub too hard and let it stay on too long it can remove the paint (but so can 90% isopropyl alcohol). Test it on a inconspicuous area before you use it on a locomotive you don't want to have to repaint.

Ray

basically, anything that will remove pad printed numbers will also remove the underlying paint (some really old stuff is often an exception). the trick is to find something (like iso) that is a slow worker/mild solvent so that you have time to remove the number before the paint get affected too much.

Iso can be weakened with water to slow the action even moreso.

there's as much art in this as science.....

Back