My yard is finished, what to do ??

tlark

Read more here than post so I want to tap into the knowledge of others.

A pretty good chunck of my layout is up and running. I designed it with (3) 19' open staging tracks, 1 flyby track at left and 2 mainlines at right, which are 30' The mains would allow for staging as well. The entire yard is a ladder so I can stage from both ends and all the tracks run into the mains with plenty of room to switch aout as many as 25 cars if I like. I don't have to have exact prototype operation but I want to ask if there are any resourses on line that I may read about how trains are assembled (etc). Or, operations for trains in the yard and what are the practices.

Sorry for the quality of the pics, my 15 year old daughter has my good camera.

I'm a "little" confused as to which is what.....In the center pic, for instance, I presume where the 2 diesels are is a mainline, and the 3 tracks to the left are your staging tracks. I'm not sure what you mean by a "flyby" track...
In any event, we would need to know what your RR is supposed to do. What is in the rest of your "world". As for prototypical practices, these are more often "bent" to suit the layout since our operations are limited by the space available. Although in your case, space does not seem to be too much of a limitation...

I'm a "little" confused as to which is what.....In the center pic, for instance, I presume where the 2 diesels are is a mainline, and the 3 tracks to the left are your staging tracks. I'm not sure what you mean by a "flyby" track...
In any event, we would need to know what your RR is supposed to do. What is in the rest of your "world". As for prototypical practices, these are more often "bent" to suit the layout since our operations are limited by the space available. Although in your case, space does not seem to be too much of a limitation...

Those tracks with the engines are for the engine facility and not for other cars. The track next to those engines I called a "flyby" I really don't know if thats correct in its term but it allows for a train to pass through w/o having to stop, it hits the mainline about 25' later. The red cars (on the right) is one of 3 yard tracks and the farthest two are the two-mainlines.

With respect to what the RR is supposed to be. This portion of construction is the "Neff UP yard in Kansas City running through the west bottoms which I have provided more pics. This section has enough track to run 25 cars with 3-4 engines no problem the can sit while the yard opens if need be. (Its similar to the real deal). Your likley to see just about any road name in these areas with all kinds of traffic. Coal is pretty big in the area with it being a central artery from the Powder River Basin. Intermodel and especially grain. If you look closely in the first set of pix you will see 22 hoppers at what will be a silo.

As time allows I will add the BNSF Murry Yard which will allow 20-30' of yard, although on a shelf. After these trains go through the bottoms they will enter to western sections of the country with mountain terrian single line track for the most part.

Here is something I use for my Op sessions and even for just myself. I have been using it for around 5 years and it is good for the smallest or largest of layouts.
http://www.railop.com/index.php?main_page=index

oh nice. thanks for the link. seems to be bit overpriced but i guess they don't sell to many copies.

i'm not familiar with RR operations but that software doesn't look to be very complicated. makes me wonder if i want to start yet another project...

as far as "no mac!?" comment. cross platform software compatibility takes enormous effort (read cost) to make and even then it is not perfect on either platform. IMO this software is quite a niche product as it is so they just went with more widespread platform.

but all is not lost :) you can pic up old pentium2 for 20$ on your craiglist (and perhaps even for free) and you have a dedicated computer in your train room just for that (+ another software DCC cab perhaps?)

I don't have to have exact prototype operation but I want to ask if there are any resourses on line that I may read about how trains are assembled (etc). Or, operations for trains in the yard and what are the practices.

Well these days trains are built mostly by convienence. The yard job is given the switch list containing the cars that will be placed in the train. They pull them out in the quickest, easiest way for them...... MOST OF THE TIME

Manifest Tains (Box Cars etc) are built basically by tonnage. Heavy (loads)cars on the headend, light (empty)cars on the rear. Of course there are Hazmat requirements, oversized load requirements, no empties on the rear for DP or helper trains etc etc.... There is a long list of specific restrictions that really don't or can't apply to model railroading unless you are running prototype style by assigning each car to an industry and classifying it loaded or empty.

Intermodal trains---- For the most part again... Heavies on the front, light cars on the rear. Stacks on the headend, pigs on the rear. However, these days the restrictions are very limited for intermodal trains. However they double them over, thats how they go....again... CONVIENENCE

Train make-up intructions can be very confusing and constantly changing on the real RR.

as far as "no mac!?" comment. cross platform software compatibility takes enormous effort (read cost) to make and even then it is not perfect on either platform. IMO this software is quite a niche product as it is so they just went with more widespread platform.

but all is not lost :) you can pic up old pentium2 for 20$ on your craiglist (and perhaps even for free) and you have a dedicated computer in your train room just for that (+ another software DCC cab perhaps?)

That would be treasonous! Mac is a "lifestyle choice". Didn't you know?:D

That would be treasonous! Mac is a "lifestyle choice". Didn't you know?:D

i heard of it. religion can make a very flaming discussion. but i also heard of dual boot, so zealous mac users can run PC software and stuff when in a pinch. so nothing says you can't get the pretty ~1000$ imac for your train room and run winXP on it - lifestyle is above all ;) :rolleyes:

i'll stick to my old P3 for the train room - 0$ :)
my life style is cheap ass procrastinating slacker :D

I also see that alot of yards will sort trains to their specific destination. they pick apart the inbound and sort it to the tracks that are desagnated to the next city or next yard etc... As L.O.S. said... with uint trains I seen them all have heavy cars at the front and empties at the rear. What I like to do when I switch the yard at the club is to sort the mix of cars into yard tracks so that each track has the same car. Coal, flat bed,tanker,box etc.. I then take one row of the cars out of the yard and set them at the diffrent industries around the layout. After I empty all the yard tracks with road switchers I go back out and pick them up again in no order. This is how I can sort in the yard ,drop off and pick up the cars in a somewhat fun way on the layout.

Trent

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some good books on this subject you might want to look into. About yards specifically there is:
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12248.html

And for Operation in General:
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12231.html

There are many others too.

I'm not quite sure how broad your question is, so forgive me if you already know some of the things in the following 'wall of text'.

There are many kinds of railroad 'yards', but the most common one we think of-and the type it looks like you've modeled-is a classification yard. The main purpose of a classification yard is just what it sounds like; classifiying cars for delivery to their destinations, whether local or further down the line. While classification yards can be located many places along a railroad they are most often located at division points.

Railroads are organized into divisions, usually encompassing a geographic area. These divisions are often further divided into subdivisions. For example, the railway I will model, the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Omaha-the Omaha Road, was divided into two divisions for most of its existence; the Western Division (Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota) and the Eastern Division (Wisconsin). The Eastern division had several subdivisions, including the Eau Claire subdivision.

To understand the purpose of yards you have to understand the different kinds of trains that would run over a railroad. There are many different kinds of freight trains: Express, manifest, local, etc. Different railroads might use slightly different terminology for the various kinds of trains, but in the end they all boil down to two basic types: through freights and local freights. A through freight travels from one point to another typically with no stops in between. It carries cargo going from point A to pont B (or points further beyond B). A local freight might travel from point A to point B, or it might travel from point A a certain distance, turn around, and come back to point A (this type of train is oftern called a 'turn'). In any event, a local does just what the name implies-it serves the local industries along its route.

Now that we know the (basic) types of freight trains we can understand what yards do. Again I'll use the Omaha Road as an example. The main classification yard of the Eau Claire sub was actually located just east of Eau Claire in Altoona. At Eau Claire the main line branched off to the west toward Minneapolis/St. Paul and to the North toward Duluth/Superior. Through freight trains originating in Chicago would terminate either in Altoona or Minneapolis (this depends on the era; generally speaking the more modern the era one models the longer the distance between terminals). If the freight was terminating in Altoona it would have cars destined for Minneapolis and points west, Duluth/Superior, and cars for local industries. The Altoona switch crew would break up the train and resort the cars into new trains based on their destination, along with other cars that had arrived on other trains. For example, a through freight might have arrived from Duluth around the same time with cars bound for Minneapolis and local industries. The cars bound for the same destination would be grouped together in new trains. These would either be new through freights (to Duluth/Minneapolis/wherever) or local freights to deliver the cars bound for local destinations.

Many other things would happen in a yard depending on prototype and era. On the Omaha road for example even the through freights from Chicago to Minneapolis would have to stop in Altoona in up through the mid 50's. This is because these freights used Chicago and Northwestern (Omaha's parent company) power, which oftern were the CNW's big class H 4-8-4 locomotives, which due to bridge and curve restrictions could not travel west of Altoona on the Omaha. Yards at division points also often acted as crew change points. Train crews are not machines, they need to sleep too. Even though a train might travel from point A to point B it doesn't mean it might not stop at point C in between and change its crew. And even though it was a 'through' freight these trains likely had a cut of cars to drop off at Altoona bound for local destinations or points north, and would likely pick up cars for destinations west. Which brings up the next concept: blocking.

If a yardmaster is doing his job properly and is not rushed by some factors out of his control (late arriving trains, etc) he will 'block' the train he is making up so that cars with similar destinations are grouped together. In the Chicago to Altoona example, the train would probably be blocked into three sectioon: cars bound for Minneapolis/St. Paul and west, cars bound for points north of Altoona, and cars to be delivered locallly upon arrival at Altoona. So when the Altoona yardmaster has to break down the train upon arrival, he simply has to pull cuts of cars instead of reclassifying the entire train. To show this graphically, a train that has not been blocked may look like this, where each city name represents a car and its destination:

Minneapolis-Duluth-Altoona-Duluth-Minneapolis

In the above example the yardmaster has to resrot each car individually, creating a lot more work. If the train had been properly blocked it would look like this:

Minneapolis-Minneapolis-Duluth-Duluth-Altoona

Here the yardmaster can pull both the Minneapolis cars at the same time, and again for the Duluth cars; saving considerable time and switch moves.

On top of all that there were other considerations, as hinted at in posts above. Hazardous materials such as oil, chemical, etc could not be located directly behind the engine for safety reasons. Certain other loads might be intentionally placed behind other loads to avoid damage also; for example, a hopper of coal would not be placed directly in front of a hopper of wood chips, as the coal dust would 'contaminate' the wood chips as the train moved at high speed.

As you can see there is a lot to consider when operating a yard.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert, I have a basic knowledge at best of this sort of thing. If anything I wrote is incorrect my apologies and feel free to correct me. I also apologize for any bad writing; have a bit of insomnia tonight (6:45 am local time and haven't gone to bed yet).

thanks for taking the time to explain and clear up a few things Omaha Road Man. You have provided and detailed explaination of what could work on my layout. As I stated early in the thread, coal and grain are what I intend on being the primary traffic and with the yard length I have its possible to run 18-24 cars w/o a problem. KC sees many differing traffic examples which I will also include. I just didn't know how or what way things could or should be classified. I am not a memeber of a club and pretty much fly solo at present.

I intend to build another similar sized yard over the winter which will represent the Murry BNSF yard of KC, with another 400-500sqft of available space I plan on modeling the western US specific to UP/BNSF geograpic locations which will allow me to follow your example of classifing trains to destinations or for my example specif regions.

Some would say why take so much space for your yards, but I have included several large to moderate sized industries for local switching and while the structures have not be built I have experimented with switching them and its works. If anyone has any past experience with a home layout and regrets with a yard this size please share. I will abmit there is something to be said for looking down at a yard this size full of cars that I like.

I will abmit there is something to be said for looking down at a yard this size full of cars that I like.

I couldn't agree with you more. I like to look down a yard and see all the different cars and wonder where they are going and what they have in them. We have a small yard just north of W-S and I'm thinking about sitting on the hill and watch it one day just to see how it goes. I wish I had done this in Spokane, WA where we had a LARGE yard.

Thanks Omaha Road Man for that very detailed and enlightening report on how a yard works. My only regret is my current location won't allow the yard that I envy like Tlark's.

Back