New releases......do you wait ???

tlark

With the economy being in a holding pattern and this type of hobby certainly being effected in some regards at what point have you or do you wait for pricing to come down on a new release.

Meaning: for you guys with more experience can you share some real experiences about things you have wanted but waited on and perhaps picked up at better pricing.

Or are there instances you wished you had pulled the trigger. Broad based ? I know but after being out of the hobby for a few years missing some really cool stuff (Kato AC4400 & Genesis SD70M or some Intermountain stuff thats darn pricey when you can find it on ebay) its hard to know if I should wait for these new releses to come down IF THEY DO or get them at the best price now.
Case in point in the picture below

Last edited by a moderator:
How are those Maxi-IV's? I would like all 6 Kato's and pretty much all the IM's coming next month.

In any case, I've been holding off on them (as with a number of new stuff), I usually wait. I was going to buy my 1st one this weekend, but now I need to rush to my sister's this next weekend to get my stuff before she moves!

The first thing I do is check the price with discount on-line retailers like http://www.modeltrainstuff.com and http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/u.htm. If the price is less than 80% of the list there, I'll buy it from them. If they are selling for near list, then I have to decide how bad I want the product compared to the risk of having to pay even more later. If I really want it. I'll pay list. If it's on my "nice to have" list, I'll wait and see what shows up on e-bay. This has worked out pretty well over the years for me.

My approach is similar to Jim's. I have to keep a very close watch on my hobby dollars. Especially since I've pretty much got as many locos as I actually need - I was close to pre-ordering an Atlas HO GP40-2, but decided I'd rather wait and see if they release it factory-painted in the CSX "Bright Future" scheme. I need a rest from painting locomotives...

I used to have the "first kid on the block" attitude where I had to have the new releases, but now I'm with Jim and Ken.
Case in point: I usually spend around $20 max per car but when Kato released the CB&Q business car I just had to preorder at the LHS. Well that turned out costing $20 per axle! Now you see them going for $20 to $40 each.
Of course I've now reached that point where I have pretty much all the cars I will ever need, so unless something special comes along my money goes towards scenery.

Ditto I'm like a kid in a candy store and then my parent (wife) gently pulls me have away and I keep walking !!!

Uh oh, I may be in trouble. I've done pretty good staying out of the hardware store. Now I need to stay out of the LHS too... Self control is not one of my strong points when I want to get things done.

How are those Maxi-IV's? I would like all 6 Kato's and pretty much all the IM's coming next month.

Have not pulled the trigger on them, I used it as a case in point that they are already on ebay for "buy it now" $65 + 7 for shipping with most retailers @ $80. They are very nice but I find it hard spending that type of coin on just 3 cars.

I have near 40 InterMountain hoppers at the lessor cost of $14-19 when retail is $24-30. A few CNW hoppers I have had to pay near retail but they are difficult to find. These are releases from over the past few years but its not the same apple/apple comparison w/Kato and Genesis, thus my question.

The only thing I ever reserved was the Fla. Tri-Rail cars when they were in a 3 pack for $49.95. Since then I wait till people get tired of what they bought & it ends up at a train show. I'm at the age when I'm not in a hurry for those 1st run items. At a train show 2 years ago I bought 12 Walthers well cars for $35.00 & a month later I bought 11 Walthers Spine cars for $25.00. Oh, & last year I bought 7 Walthers 89ft Box Cars for $15.00. In the boxes were metal wheel sets & xtra Kadee's.

Larry

Have not pulled the trigger on them, I used it as a case in point that they are already on ebay for "buy it now" $65 + 7 for shipping with most retailers @ $80. They are very nice but I find it hard spending that type of coin on just 3 cars.
Ahh, ok. MB Klein has/had them for $53. My closest LHS actually had them for $69, where as MSRP is $80. :rolleyes:

I'll get some eventually.

I think my next "have to buy immediately" will be the MTH SD70ACe.

I dont know I just picked up my UP 844. Its got sound and DCC allready installed and I got it for 285 with shipping. The box had a price tag of 400 so I dont think I did so bad.
I think the one that I am going to pre order is the Blue Line GS4 you get the Special run passenger car with it and I really like BLI and there engines.

Ahh, ok. MB Klein has/had them for $53. My closest LHS actually had them for $69, where as MSRP is $80. :rolleyes:

I'll get some eventually.

I think my next "have to buy immediately" will be the MTH SD70ACe.

Holy sheite terrorist......never heard of MB Klein !!! Like I said I have been out of this hobby for a few years. I guess I need to wait on the Maxi's.....

I just preordered the PCM GS4 Daylight due to the parlor car that comes with it when you preorder List price is 499 and Factory direct trains has the preorder listed at $360 I got in time to get the car with it.

A little late coming to this thread, so here's my two cent's worth. My modeling cutoff date is set to 1950 and I model the SRR in steam, with a shortline to cover just the locos I like the SRR never had. Since 95-99% of new products are made for after 1950, I have no problem passing them up.;)

Back