Athearn Genesis

tlark

Was told that name is going away by a local hobby shop employee for rolling stock and will stay for engines only when they are produced. RTR production will remain. Anyone else heard this, any truth to it ?????

Yes, Athearn figures RTR is up to the same standards as Genesis rolling stock now. They're downsizing Genesis rolling stock, they'll loose the air lines and Genesis trucks in RTR but the rest of the detail is the same.

There's no doubt its true, but they just recently (in the past few months) announced Genesis passenger cars, so there's still hope.

what about the locomotives? are the RTR upto par with the Genies?

I purchased some 2 bay hoppers in the RTR's and I cannot tell any difference. Weight is proper and they are very free rolling. With respect to the Locos' common marketing and demand should tell. They did just release the SD60M's and depending on how well they sell would be the key if Genesis will be around in the future.

The only difference between the Genesis equipment and it's follow-on RTR will be the RTR trucks (Genesis available separately), and no airline and coupler lift lever detail.

Everything else should be the same.

Ah - I suppose I should specify that that only goes for the rolling stock. Locomotives are a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish they would add Sound and DCC to the Genesis line of locomotives. would make them alot better and I wouldnt mind paying more for it.

Athern News

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Greetings! September 20, 2008

Athearn Acquires T55 Tooling

Athearn® Trains is excited to announce we have purchased select tooling from T55, the plastic division of Overland Models. T55 is one of the model railroading industry’s leading producers of high-quality injection-molded models. Using T55’s outstanding tooling, Genesis will soon be producing a run of General Electric GEVO (ES44AC and ES44DC) models, as well as EMD SD70ACe and SD70M-2 models.

These prototypes are the most current locomotives from North America’s primary builders, and are found in the fleets of Union Pacific (including the Heritage Fleet and Bush Presidential Library and Museum), BNSF, CIT Leasing, CSX, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific, EMD Demonstrators, Ferromex, Florida East Coast, GE Demonstrators, Kansas City Southern, Montana Rail Link and Norfolk Southern.
Athearn News Athearn News

Just as these locomotives are the backbone of today’s Class One and Regional railroads, they will also be an important addition to Athearn’s Genesis® series of top-of-the-line HO models. Locomotives, in keeping with Genesis standards, will be offered with and without sound. They will also feature directional lighting; operating ditch lights; separately applied, etched metal details; and the same attention to detail you expect from Genesis.

Any backorder you may have placed with T55 will unfortunately not be transferred. As Genesis announces each new run, please contact your local train store to place your new order. Release dates, pricing and specific product information will be announced in future editions of Athearn News and online at Athearn.com.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just wish they would add Sound and DCC to the Genesis line of locomotives. would make them alot better and I wouldnt mind paying more for it.
They do, The SD60M's have sound. AS do the Steam engines. I think (don't quote me) that the 70 series and the SP MT-4 4-8-2 are the only ones that do not have that option.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Greetings! September 20, 2008

Athearn Acquires T55 Tooling

Athearn® Trains is excited to announce we have purchased select tooling from T55, the plastic division of Overland Models. T55 is one of the model railroading industry’s leading producers of high-quality injection-molded models. Using T55’s outstanding tooling, Genesis will soon be producing a run of General Electric GEVO (ES44AC and ES44DC) models, as well as EMD SD70ACe and SD70M-2 models.

These prototypes are the most current locomotives from North America’s primary builders, and are found in the fleets of Union Pacific (including the Heritage Fleet and Bush Presidential Library and Museum), BNSF, CIT Leasing, CSX, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific, EMD Demonstrators, Ferromex, Florida East Coast, GE Demonstrators, Kansas City Southern, Montana Rail Link and Norfolk Southern.
Athearn News Athearn News

Just as these locomotives are the backbone of today’s Class One and Regional railroads, they will also be an important addition to Athearn’s Genesis® series of top-of-the-line HO models. Locomotives, in keeping with Genesis standards, will be offered with and without sound. They will also feature directional lighting; operating ditch lights; separately applied, etched metal details; and the same attention to detail you expect from Genesis.

Any backorder you may have placed with T55 will unfortunately not be transferred. As Genesis announces each new run, please contact your local train store to place your new order. Release dates, pricing and specific product information will be announced in future editions of Athearn News and online at Athearn.com.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HOLY CRAP!!! That sux for overland but atleast now they will be readily available. I will now start saving for some ACe's!

If I remember correctly they will have the Genesis trucks available separately still. And the air hoses as separately applied parts.

Ryan

I'm glad to see Overland finally dump thier plastic line and sell it off to Athearn. At least there's a chance that we will actually see these engines produced now instead of listening to endless litany of exuses from T55.

Back