Loco question/prototypes

tlark

1)BNSf in the MAC70's, (colors below) from what I can find they seem to be used most for coal hauling. I ask the experts here. Do they use these engines in these colors for intermodel, grain or other service. I have seen them personally running through KC out of the Powder River Basin and nothing else.

2)CNW Falcon Service. I have a Kato SD40 with the inscription on the side and a falcon above it. I had heard it was some type of special service on a specific route and would like to find out what years CNW ran it and where. I have searched w/o much luck.

Odd ?'s I know, I just have more Loco's than I need and its time to clear some out and trying to decide

The BNSF Mac's make it out from time to time. They're usually in Coal service but I've seen photos of them out here in Cali.

I've seen the BNSF engines come through Montana fairly regularly. Coal seems to be the primary load, but I have seen them on unit grain and intermodal trains also. I've seen them sitting in the fueling racks in the Laurel,MT yard (BNSF interchange) regularly also, which means they could get hooked to anything coming out.

That Falcon Service logo on the C&NW SD-40 meant it was assigned to the Falcon piggyback, or trailer on flatcar service, run by the C&NW on fast schedules between Chicago to Omaha and Kansas City. This was an attempt to take time-sensitive, high value merchandise away from over the road trucks. A large proportion of thier business came from UPS. It was very successful from its start in 1974 until about 1981, when they lost the UPS contract, since UPS began flying their own merchandise in thier own aircraft. It struggled on for a few years but the Falcon Service was discontinued about 1986. The Falcon painted SD-40's lasted until the UP merger in 1995 and a few are still left (in UP colors) as yard switchers on various parts of the system.

Jim, thanks for that summary. So well written that I might use part of it in a ebay ad if I sell this loco. I have one in Kato and it might be a little outdated for the early 90's to early 2000's time period I run. Thanks again

Back