Layout lighting re-visited

tlark

There have been a couple of lengtly threads on this topic and I have read through them to the point it became confusing.

1) If you don't want fading of walls and/or scenery by UV rays given off by certain bulbs what type should I use ?

also

2)what type use the least amount of volts/watts as I do not want to have to worry about blowing breakers

Thanks

a daylight balanced long flourescent tubes will be the best light for the least $$$ in energy use. In my opinion, however, the shadowless results are awful for photography if that's a concern. For most it isn't but it is a very major consideration on my layout.

To avoid fading, the best solution is to turn the lights off when you aren't using them. I know that sounds simplistic, but all light sources have some amount of UV.

After that indirect light from a window or skylight would be very good and natural too.

Having said that, I use probably the worst possible: Halogens on track lights. Incredibly hot, power hungry and very UV-heavy. But I like it as i can control shadows for more realistic photos. And they can be dimmed, unlike most flourescents.

I'll go with Ken on this one. I also use track light halogens. I think I'll probably put up two 8 foot fluorescent tubes as fill in lighting for just operating and when people come to see the layout. The halogen spots are unsurpassed for creating intense shadow that mimics sunlight better than any light I know of, or least that I can afford. You can dim them down for a twilight look or crank them up for noon sunshine. I'm not a very good photographer but I've found the halogens allow me to control the lighting and get better effects than when I had all fluorescents. I don't have a very big layout so three 50 watt halogens and a couple of fluorescents are all I really need. For a bigger layout, the cost both purchasing and paying for the electricity to run halogen spots could be substantial. For larger layouts, fluorescent tubes hidden behind a valance are the way to go for low installation and running cost.

Thanks, thats the straight forward answers I was seeking. With 900sqft of layout room I have already put up these track lights in focal point of the layout and use the 4' & 8' fluorecent tubes elsewhere. The tube style is a good money saver.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much a duplicate of my track light. I bought the 50 watt outdoor halogens, usually used for soffit lighting. They have better reflectors than most floods and are very bright. They are more expensive than the indoor type halogens but they also last a lot longer. I'm still not sure if I'm going to add a another tracklight with wider spread halogen floods or fluorescents. I do like the maore natural light of the halogens and, since my layout is small, the additional expense isn't great. With 900 square feet, that's really not an option for you unless you win the lottery. :)

Realize that SOME of the newer flourescent bulbs (not tubes) are dimmable, but even so have a limited range of dimming, unlike filament bulbs which can go from 0-100%.

GA8 halogens for me, five on each of two parallel tracks set about 4' apart. They are very hot, but they have a UV filter, and they give crisp shadows on our layout...very important for photography. Because each one of them uses 50 watts, my total usage when I have both banks lit is 500W. Nothing to sneeze at, but my total usage is typically about 2-3 hours per week. The layout is in a basement, that only has two windows, and at night....well, it should be obvious.

I have two rocker switches on the wall outside the layout. If I will only need one bank lit for working in a given area, it cuts down on energy. Also, no one says you can't remove two or three halogen pots from the track...press up the collar and rotate 90 deg...they drop out...if they are not needed. Two spread five feet apart and aimed at the spot where I am working suffices.

Most modern cameras come with a colour balance setting for halogens, so at least that much is covered.

Selector made a good point: multiple circuits are a real good idea. I wired my train room myself, and gave it 2 light circuits. Most times I only need one circuit, but 2 are available if needed.

And by using track lights, I can rearrange them easily.

I have a low ceiling, and there are times when I am standing with one of the lamps directly shining on the back of my head.....let me tell you that gets hot!

Back