Search results

1. Maxitrains

DC & DCC engines

I was wondering if all DC locos could be converted to DCC and what would be required apart of the decoder!!! I'm not planning of changing to DCC now, but was wondering if later in teh years I decide to build a bigger layout, if I would be ably to convert the locos I have into DCC.
  2. Maxitrains

Steam Loco query

OK Guys, here I need all the Experts help, since I'm getting more into this hobby and modelling a US layout, I only have U.S. Deisel engines so far to run, and I also got about 3 steam locos which are European, these I had bought before making up my mind what layout I was up to, so now I would...
  3. Maxitrains

Athearns SD40-2

I have an SD40-2 from Athearns, this was supposed to be bought as new, at least it looks so too, but I noticed that the wheels were not so shiny, and some components were already fitted to it, but maybe they come like that, cause its my first loco from Athearns. The rails were all still...
  4. Maxitrains

Happy New 2008

Since I won't be at the computer at midnight ( will be near wife ;) ) I would like to take this moment to wish you a Happy New Year 2008 Its only 2 hours from now ( over here ), c you guys in 2008 :)
  5. Maxitrains

curved stone viaduct

OK, so here is my thread about the curved stone viaduct which I need for the upper rail, over the river and lower dockside line. I'm building this in carton, I hope it works, I made a sort of mould to hold the layers of carton while the glue dries up, holding them in the curve I want them, then...
  6. Maxitrains

Which is the.....

...best brand to purchase, as for rolling stock, I would like to buy some detailed boxcars and maybe some tankcars. I would also like suggestions on how to recognise boxcars and tanks cars which were used in the 40's to 60's era. Which other cars could I fit in a normal layout ( with no...
  7. Maxitrains

Diamond Crossing

I am lately looking around for a 30° diamond crossing for my layout, since I have one, but the rails are aluminium, and would like to change it to Nickel Silver, I tried looking around in places I know, but I didn't manage to find an angle so wide. I'm using mainly Bacchman, Peco and some Lima...
  8. Maxitrains

DC Throttle

Hi, This is the type of DC throttle I'm using at the moment, so far I made 6 of them, and even though they still need some tuning, they work perfectly. I though have to start again and create a single board with 8 to 10 outlets (pots) so I can control the different sections and sidings I have. I...
  9. Maxitrains

Loco wheel cleaning

Hi guys, I was wondering how do you clean the wheels of your locos.
  10. Maxitrains

Slip Switch

Hi, does anyone know if there's any brand that makes single or double slip switches code 100 at 30° crossing? when I googled, the search came up mostly with PECO 12° crossing single and double. Kindly help. Thanks Max
  11. Maxitrains

40' or shorter

I'm looking for some 5 or 6 box cars ( sets of 3 identicals ) which should be not longer then 40', actually I'm looking for the shortest possible cars that were/are used on US lines. I also found some pics, but when compared to 40' model cars, they look somehow different This is a 40'...
  12. Maxitrains

More Rolling stock Queries

I have some old rolling stock which I still cannot identify and find on net, I will be taking a picture of the lot maybe someone can help me out and tell me if there were any prototypes of any of the cars or not. One in particular that I'm looking for at the moment is the following gondola...
  13. Maxitrains

River or sea side dock/station

I have a place in the layout where I have to put a sort of small dock, where boats or small ships will unload their cargo, to be loaded on the train cars. this is a very narrow place, so I cannot afford large buildings, and also my layout will be approx in the 50's - 60's. I kept looking for...
  14. Maxitrains

BIG Disappointment !!!!!!!!!!

Finally I got my long waiting ( from US ) Athearn SD40-2 loco BNSF, and my eyes sparkled. To my disappointment, I went to try it on my layout and it won't go on most of my curves :(. This means 3 things, either I have to start changing all my curves again, sadly sell the loco :( or put it on...
  15. Maxitrains

My first weathering attempt (RUST)

This is my first weathering attempt, I ams till working on this tank, but took a break since so far it took me 1 hour to achive that. I'm also using the wrong brush, cause its very soft and cannot apply paint very well. Kindly post comments and tips on how I can improve the look of it. I...
  16. Maxitrains

Tunnels

One thing I will be startign after I finish wiring will be the tunnels, before continuing to construct the layout, since these need alot of attention, especially the tracks, which some will not be easily accessable. I keep thinking on how these are constructed, since I have some long tunnels...
  17. Maxitrains

Postage Query

Hi, I know this may be off topic, but I just wanted to know something about Shipping. Last night I won an item on e-bay and actually I have asked the seller several hours before how much would the shipping be. He didn't answer till after the bidding ended. I placed my bid assuming that the...
  18. Maxitrains

Station look

Could you kindly suggest me, or post pictures of what a 1950/60's US station should look like ( not a very big one, I don't have enough space ), at the moment I have this one, but I don't think it fits with US style buildings and especially 50 / 60s Kindly post ideas and mostly pictures...
  19. Maxitrains

Lights on Locos

Hi, I was watching some videos ( cause on photos I couldn't realize ) that some locos have their lights on bright even if they are moving slowly or not moving at all ( referring to this clip especially on 1 min 35 secs ). I was wondering how this could be possible if the train was not moving...
  20. Maxitrains

Atlas RS-3

Hi there, I purchased an Atlas RS-3 engine, at a good price, and when I went to try it on my layout, on the turns it was derailing the first car that was attached to it, then I noticed that on some tight turns, the coupler couldn't turn enough and was pulling the car's coupler out of the...

Back