DC Throttle

Maxitrains

Hi, This is the type of DC throttle I'm using at the moment, so far I made 6 of them, and even though they still need some tuning, they work perfectly. I though have to start again and create a single board with 8 to 10 outlets (pots) so I can control the different sections and sidings I have. I tried to contact a friend of mine & maybe he can help me, but not sure about it :S.

What do you think about this type of POT for a DC layout? I would like some feedback, so if my friend can help me building this larger board, I might do the right one in the first place.

Here are the circuit picture and the finished product.

Throttle_boardsize.jpg

Throttle_sm.jpg

What kind of amperage does this thing put out. It seems like there's not enough guts to put more than an amp at most. How many amps do you need to run your layout and how many blocks will you have? What kind of power supply does this thing have? It looks like you're trying to control things the way you would on a DCC layout. If that's the case, why not just use DCC to begin with?

In case U never saw my layout, here it is
Plan_1_exsm.jpg

My layout wiring is set as follows.
I have a mainline controlled by one POT then I have several sidings which will be comtrolled by other pots ( the above circuit). all these pots ( approx 8 or 10 ) will be working over a 14V DC 7 - 10 AMP PSU, then I will have another PSU that will handle switches (turnouts) and magnetic uncouplers, and another PSU for lights and building lights. That board will have a Heatsink attached to the transistor ( not attached in the photo ) to sustain load, and I managed to run 3 locos on the same line with that POT and they ran perfectly, normally I won't be running more then 2 at the same time on the mainline, and most probably there will be only one operating loco on every siding, so I guess we are not talking on more then 3 AMPS ( on each circuit ).

As for DCC, I think I cannot go on that now, first of all I will have to do all the trackwork, as for insulations and wiring, second, all the locos I bought are not DCC equipped and have to buy decoders for all my locos which I don't even know if they can take it or not.

I went for manual and not DCC for 3 reasons.

1. I thought it would be more fun controlling everything manually and not letting the computer do the job.
2. When I started this layout DCC was still in the early stages and was expensive, so I erased it out of my do list.
3. I didn't know at that time that I would run more then 1 engine on the mainline.

I hope U understand my situation.

Thanks

Back