Athearns SD40-2

Maxitrains

I have an SD40-2 from Athearns, this was supposed to be bought as new, at least it looks so too, but I noticed that the wheels were not so shiny, and some components were already fitted to it, but maybe they come like that, cause its my first loco from Athearns.

The rails were all still attached to the plastic moulds and the metal rails sill sealed in the envelope, but this means nothing, as could have been easily replaced with other rails froma new box. There was the Cab glass in the loco, already in place and also 2 small panels ( removable ) on the sides of the same Cab. I also don't know if I have anythign missing, since when I place the loco on the rails and give it power, the whole Cab lights up from inside, and gives it a non realistic look, the bulb inside should lighten up only the number board, head lights & tail lights. So apart of thinking that I have some light cover missing, how the hell should a bulb from the front Cab, light up the tail lights? Or is it such a cheap model that the light glasses are only for decoration?

SD40-2_2.jpg

The only two locos which I have, that has authentic lights are the Rivarossi Steam Loco ( with 2 headlamps ) and the Atlas MP15 which lights power on depending on the direction its moving.

Could someone kindly give me some answers about the SD40-2?

Thanks

Max

Yes, it is one of the Athearn (not Athearns) so called "Blue Box" models, and that is more or less how they come. You will have to move up to their more recent (and more expensive) versions for some finer detailing.

OK!, so is there anything I can do to fix some of the problems, like, the all lighted Cab, and the no lights on the rear?

Josh, My queriy is not mostly on how to do constant lighting, but mostly on how to isolate the light in the CAB, so it won't show from the windows (but only from the headlights and number boards ) and how to make the light on the back go on when the loco is movine the other way. I donno how the real locos work, if the light on both sides light up when moving or else if only the light of which teh train is moving lights up.

Maxi,

What your trying to do isn't possible with that type of engine. If you want to block the light coming out of the windows, put black electrical tape on the insides of the windows. As far as getting the lights to light up in the rear, it will not happen. That is an old style Athearn engine.

Yeah, a constant lighting module should do that, directional lighting... To get the better light set-up, you should use some grain of rice bulbs, like those that come with the SD70 series Athearn Genesis (available on eBay & from Horizon). They're 1.5v, and on DC, they provide a constant light better. Then cover up the bulb with a light box of some sort. Either that or use micro LED's.

Maxi,

What your trying to do isn't possible with that type of engine. If you want to block the light coming out of the windows, put black electrical tape on the insides of the windows. As far as getting the lights to light up in the rear, it will not happen. That is an old style Athearn engine.
As is, no, unless he works one adding bulbs & a light module.

Maxi,

yeah i painted my windows black so that no light would shine through. As for lighting in the rear there will be none since there is no bulb to it, if you want to there are many different ways that you can wire it up though.

Also, there should be a small manilla back with it and the number boards and the plastic light lenses should be in there.

can't you just add a lightboard thats used in the newer RTR models? I have a few blue boxes that will not be using this 1 bulb to light eveyrthing method.

The wheels aren't supposed to be shiny, they're supposed to be that dull metal color.

As far as the cab lighting, you might try to fabricate some kind of plastic cover over the lightbulb to direct it only to the front lens. That might be a lot of work, depending on how much leakage you're willing to stand for, and how irregular the inside of the cab is. You'll have to paint the styrene black, and worry a bit about heat.

The other thing to consider is a light tube, something that will slip over the bulb with the openiing next to the front lens. Again, not sure how much light leakage you're going to get, but these SWAGs might give you some ideas to mull over.

Kennedy

can't you just add a lightboard thats used in the newer RTR models? I have a few blue boxes that will not be using this 1 bulb to light eveyrthing method.
Yeah, but who wants to buy a whole RTR unit to get the light board?

Even getting a hold of a Genesis one requires buying the whole motor. :rolleyes:

The "Its not possible to upgrade" statement isn't fact. My friend Curt has upgraded Butt loads of SD40-2's with that problem to DCC. He just makes a board and wires up the decoder and takes that chunky light and replaces it with minitronics 1.5v lightbulbs in front and back. You can make your own version of this for DC also.

i emailed athearn about the replacement boards. We'll see what they say. In the parts list that came with the new RTR tunnel motors they give a part # to the board.

I know im looking at the instruction sheet and it lists that part # along with 90617 jumper board. I can't figure out from the pic which is which. I just re-emailed them explaining the 2 #'s and which is for the power from the trucks and to hook up the lights.

Josh, here is a .PDF of the tunnel motor instruction sheet. Take a look and see if you can determine what part would be needed. Im going to assume that both if I want to run DCC.

Back