DC & DCC engines

Maxitrains

I was wondering if all DC locos could be converted to DCC and what would be required apart of the decoder!!!

I'm not planning of changing to DCC now, but was wondering if later in teh years I decide to build a bigger layout, if I would be ably to convert the locos I have into DCC.

You can convert almost any engine to DCC. Some older engines can be a real pain since the motor isn't isolated from the frame and you have to solder everything. Steam engines, in general, are the most difficult. A place like Tony's Train Exchange can sell you the right decoder and give you instructions about how to convert almost any locomotive made but some of them require some real electrical skills to get it right. My policy is to only buy engines that are either DCC ready with a plug or already have DCC installed. It's not a matter of if you will convert to DCC, just when, so you might as well prepare for it now.

I wrote my thoughts on this over on the DCC area a couple-three months ago. I think my comment was that almost all were convertable; the issue is 'how easy'.

I think the topic was what does 'DCC Ready' really mean.

Kennedy

In my experience, the main considerations that could be a problem with older engines are:

• The motor needs to be completely isolated from the chassis.
  • Motor current draw - some lower power decoders may not be able to provide enough power.
  • Space in the chassis for the decoder.

Mark

Back