Loco wheel cleaning

The cheap way is to use cotton swabs, two wires, and some alligator clips. Remove the shell of the locomotive and attach one end to the motor terminals and the other end to each track. Crank up the transformer to get the wheels spinning. Dip a cotton swab in 91% alcohol and run it over the tread and flange of each wheeel. Repeat as needed. :) The easy way is with a brass wire wheel cleaner like the one made by Kadee at http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page159.htm. It's not very expensive and saves removing shells. The brass wire does a good job of cleaning without scratching the wheels.

I built a cleaner, actually pretty simple. I dont like abrasive material so I use denatured alcohol on a cloth attached to the end of a straight piece of rail.
Power applied to the rail i hold the engine in place while the drive motor spins the wheels on the cloth. Now as not to ruin the wheels im holding I usually disconnect the drive shaft.
I also have used gator clips and held it upside down while applying the cleaner.
One is great for quick cleaning the other required shell opening.
A friend of mine built a cleaner track some years ago after he modeled Conway.
Somehow the locomotive actually went through a little area of what I believe was Simple Green solution about 1/4 inch high then onto a drying section of rail where the engine sat for a day or so. His engines always ran like champs.... I couldnt tell ya how he built it to save my soul.

Back