Search results

1. Beady

enterTRAINment Junction (picture heavy)

Just got back from visiting relatives, and they took us to the place in the title, halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. I'm unfamiliar with the larger scales, but I think everything is ON3, with an occasional HO thrown into the far distance to force perspective. The operating displays...
  2. Beady

MRR Consumer Reports

On my wish list is some sort of resource that describes, rates and locates the various sources for MRR supplies. I don't mean individual product reviews, I mean the manufacturers' reputations in general, plus ratings for their product categories. This would especially help when considering the...
  3. Beady

Photo heavy-Lansing MRR OPEN House

Today's open house at the Lansing, Michigan, model railroad club (http://www.lmrc.org/). The club is located in an old terminal building, moved to the site as was a signal tower and other items currently undergoing installation and restoration. Here, without further ado, is what the inside...
  4. Beady

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Took an out-of-town friend to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn yesterday. I know there are a bunch of car aficionados here, and I assume there are some plane guys, so I took bunches of pics. Here are a few: Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  5. Beady

Finally Got Started

Finally ran out of excuses and overcame my inertia. I credit my recent trip to Texas. Anyway, this is what held me up for so long; the table and dresser were too much for me to handle alone: Here's the space after the furniture had been moved, roughly 12' X 12': And what I have to work...
  6. Beady

Passenger v Freight?

The question occurred to me when I noticed I seem to have about an equal amount of passenger and freight rolling stock. I honestly don't have a preference, although my mother seems strangely proud that my grandfather never worked passenger trains. So, what's your preference, and why? Oh crap!
  7. Beady

Unusual tools

Wasn't quite sure where to put this question, but this seemed close. What unusual tools have you found handy in building layouts? One thing I picked up at Harbor Freight that I haven't seen anyone mention, is a mechanic's dolley, used for scooting around underneath things while lying on your...
  8. Beady

Ground Cover.

I'm suddenly noticing how many "permanent" layouts don't have basic ground cover (grass, etc), but have everything, including trees and bushes, placed directly on bare plywood. Is it intended to fill in these bare patches at a later date, or is this the finished state? Oh crap!
  9. Beady

Kato Soundbox Question

What's the difference between the Kato Soundbox 22101 and 221011? I assume the extra digit represents some sort of improvement, but is it anything substantial? Oh crap!
  10. Beady

Michigan High Speed Rail

I think I'm in the right forum. Any way, thought this site might be of some interest. The thought occurs to me that this outfit may be in the market for a physical layout to show to legislators and prospective investors. The quoted paragraph is from their About Us page...
  11. Beady

1\150?

I see a lot of ads, mostly from Europe, that are for N scale items, then in parentheses add "1/150." I realize that there's not a lot of difference between 1/150 and 1/160, but how well do the two mix on the same layout? Oh crap!
  12. Beady

Trains and Literature

I wasn't sure what to call this, but I ran across the following story by accident and just had to post it here. "In his later years, Charles Dickens often suffered from siderodromophobia—a fear of train travel—caused by his involvement in a railway crash in 1865. If you suffer from say, a fear...
  13. Beady

Railroad Quotes

"Thank God for the model trains, you know. If they didn't have the model trains they wouldn't have gotten the idea for the big trains" Amber Cole in the movie "A Mighty Wind". There's gotta be more than one!
  14. Beady

A slight change of pace

The 'normal train' that crosses the Sahara http://www.cnn.com//2016/01/12/opinions/cnnphotos-sutter-mauritania-train/index.html Oh crap!
  15. Beady

Bare-bones experimenting - Newbie fun

My first attempt at posting pictures; apologies if it doesn't work. This probably isn't interesting to anyone but me, but I've been "collecting" (as in, buying everything that I could afford as fast as I could) N scale train stuff for about three years, and this is the first time I've been able...
  16. Beady

So, am I missing something here?

Oh crap!
  17. Beady

Radius Rant

I've been reading this forum for months (over a year?), and one thing has been driving me to distraction. In general discussion, people talk about various curve radii without specifying the scale. I assume, just playing the odds, that HO is the default but I can never be sure. I do N scale...
  18. Beady

Decals for Weathering

Anybody seen or tried these? They sound good for those of us who don't know what we're doing. Maybe too good. http://store.weatheringsolutions.com/ Oh crap!
  19. Beady

Hello?

Testing Oh crap!

Back