Passenger v Freight?

Beady

The question occurred to me when I noticed I seem to have about an equal amount of passenger and freight rolling stock. I honestly don't have a preference, although my mother seems strangely proud that my grandfather never worked passenger trains.

So, what's your preference, and why?

Oh crap!

Beady: FWIW: I prefer mid-1960s passenger operation, but don't have the room to effectively model it. Therefore, I model the freight side, and have limited passenger operation to "interfere" with the freight operation.

Although, in reality, both operations are mundane in real life, passenger operation is more hands on and personal, where as freight is a block of cars.

I've always modeled what I see, and mostly what I see (in what little railroad activity there is in my immediate area), is freight. Mostly, crude-oil tank cars and gondolas. I think modeling freight is really fun, especially since I was able to climb all over untended tank cars and gondolas in a nearby light-industry yard back when I was in high school.

Of all my railroading books, "Railroad Rolling Stock" and "Freight Train Cars" are my favorites. In the mid-1980s, my rolling stock consisted of Railbox boxcars and GATX tank cars. Since returning to the hobby, I've purchased the exact same cars in N-scale, over three decades later!

However I do love the look of Amtrak Superliners, which you do see in the northern part of L.A. County (I had a set of Con-Cor Superliner cars back in the 1980s as well). Unfortunately, Superliners are difficult to model realistically for those of us who own limited-radii layouts. I was planing a Superliner railroad in my new layout, but the limited radii gave me pause. I'm now looking at Japanese light-rail cars to substitute for the Los Angeles Metro light-rail line that we have here.

although my mother seems strangely proud that my grandfather never worked passenger trains.
I guess it depends on how old he is. Were it in the 1950s and even 60s that would seem an odd "accomplishment". What position did he work? For a T&EY employee to have never worked a passenger train they would have had to be a master at sharp shooting the boards, or never gotten high enough seniority to bid on those bulletins. Neither of those is something I would think anyone should be proud of. As far as engineers go, often passenger trains were a choice pick because one could accumulate more mileage in a shorter period of time. After 1970, I would guess that most people never have worked on a passenger train - just because there weren't hardly any anymore.

So, what's your preference, and why?
I've always said I've been a passenger train person. Why? Prototypically I love the romance of the rails - a more educated, elegant, and sophisticated era. Modeling is a more simple reason - speed & short trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both. Growing up in Montana in the 50's and 60's, we rode passenger trains a lot, the Northern Pacific's North Coast Limited and the Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha. Highways and vehicles back then are not like they are today. I think the train trip was as good as getting to a destination.

Unfortunately, my layout is built as a switching layout in a rural part of Montana and there's no way I can justify either of these trains showing up on my layout. The majority of my equipment is freight equipment but I do have some passenger trains. For local service I have an RDC and a few passenger cars, but, being that I am freelancing in the transition era, I do run an excursion train with Northern Pacific equipment south through my layout to take passengers to Yellowstone Park.

As a kid in the '40's and '50's, I rode the Burlington Zephyrs and the C&NW 400's. My ruling HO curve radii are 20" and 18", and while I have a lot of freight cars, I really like running passenger trains more. I find I can get even some 85' passenger cars around these curves, and by interspersing them with "shorties" get reliable and not bad looking 6-7 car trains. If I run a "Denver Zephyr" with the room lights out, I can still imagine I am aboard a Pullman car, listening to the mournful sound of the E-7's horns, going to see my grandparents. :)

The railroads were the airlines of the late 1800's and on to the end of WW II. If you wanted to get someplace overnight, you went by train. When you went to "the city", you went by train or maybe by bus. When you went to a summer camp across state, you went by train or by bus. The rails did a fine job of putting up poster showing the luxury of dining on a fast-moving train, and the Pullman company did a great job of selling the romance and the finery, not to mention the promise, to the rails first, and from there to the traveling public. Later, the elegance went hard in favour of the airlines...it became the cool way to go.

Sadly, the rails never made a buck hauling passengers. It was a duty in exchange for grants. Our first rail company in Canada, the CPR, went to court three times to divest itself legally of the requirement to run an RDC up and down Vancouver Island in perpetuity, with the third and last time being at the SOC (Supreme Court of Canada). That body agreed that the CPR should not be burdened with an RDC running maybe six passengers a day along the 100 miles of tracks it serviced. But, according to its charter, that was the CPR's liability in perpetuity. "We gave you huge land grants (20 miles on either side of the right-of-way all the way across Canada!) and money, and you agreed to run passenger service. Period." That was the government's and unions' positions. Thankfully, the SOC said it was not in keeping with the intent of the Charter as foreseen at the time.

I like the rails for all the reason everyone else does....freight, pax, it makes no mevermind to me. I like the slow grinding coal drags with distributed power. I like the fast freight with those powerful engines at the front, and I like the fast(er) pax service with the Duplexes and Northerns hauling them. If I have only two complete consists on my layout, and that is usually the case, one of each will be available for me to play with.

I guess it depends on how old he is. Were it in the 1950s and even 60s that would seem an odd "accomplishment". What position did he work? For a T&EY employee to have never worked a passenger train they would have had to be a master at sharp shooting the boards, or never gotten high enough seniority to bid on those bulletins. Neither of those is something I would think anyone should be proud of. As far as engineers go, often passenger trains were a choice pick because one could accumulate more mileage in a shorter period of time. After 1970, I would guess that most people never have worked on a passenger train - just because there weren't hardly any anymore.

I've always said I've been a passenger train person. Why? Prototypically I love the romance of the rails - a more educated, elegant, and sophisticated era. Modeling is a more simple reason - speed & short trains.

I believe you're under a misapprehension. My grandfather retired sometime before WW2. Couple of months ago I posted a photo of him standing in front of his locomotive in France, 1917-1918. Afterward, he was a conductor on the Grand Rapids-Jackson run with the Michigan Central and New York Central. I've got his railroad watch (a 21- jewel Elgin), which is apparently supposed to pass to the oldest male in the family. Somewhere along the line Gramps also worked as a fireman and engineer. He got a battlefield commission, and I don't know what that would have meant for the position he would have worked on a train, but he would have gone out of his way to avoid a desk job - he liked a action so much that he enlisted in three separate wars. Also, he would have avoided passenger service 'cause he definitely was not a people person (he says, with tongue in cheek).

Oh crap!

My grandfather retired sometime before WW2.
Oh, that either makes you older than I, or you and your parents were late life babies. For some reason I thought you were a young man. I know very little of how the railroads did their pool/extra board job assignments before WWII.

Any occupation that involves contact with the public is less desirable than one that doesn't involve a lot of public contact. That's why I was always happy to be in engine service, and not in train service. :rolleyes: There are people out there, who are so vile, so miserable, so hell bent on making someone's day miserable, that they thrive on it. If they can cause someone to loose their job, so much the better. These people ride passenger trains and fly on commercial airlines, and love to "create" incidents. That's why freight service is better. old saying, "Box Cars don't talk back". :rolleyes: On the other hand, I really enjoyed my time working as a passenger Engineer, so much more than my time in freight, for all the reasons the Iron Horseman outlined.

Modeling, of course, is a different perspective. On my model railroad, we don't carry grumpy miserable people, only happy Preiser people.:rolleyes:

Oh, that either makes you older than I, or you and your parents were late life babies. For some reason I thought you were a young man. I know very little of how the railroads did their pool/extra board job assignments before WWII.
I'm 66, born in 1950. Mom was born in 1927. Not sure how old Gramps was when she was born. Let's see: he lied his age by two years to get into the Spanish-American War (and apparently was brigaded with the Rough Riders). 1898 - 16 =1882. 1927-1882=45. So, he was 45 when Mom was born. Just to continue, he died Thanksgiving night, 1957 (?), at 75, but his headstone says he was 77 (see above). I was in bed in the next room and still remember.

WLI26. Tell me about it. I was a corpsman; talk about grumpy customers!

Oh crap!

I will have both and operate how I feel, but working on multiple scenarios, my layout will have multiple railroads interchanging so my focus is on freight and interchanging, but not limited to that. I like variety...

I have only dim memories of pre-Amtrak passenger train travel, but for my layout in progress... set 20 years before I was born...I definitely wanted to include passenger service as well as freight. I made a point of getting a set of the Rivarossi 60 foot heavyweights in C&NW lettering to provide through service on my line and a set of 50 foot Roundhouse Overland cars for local service. I like freight switching, but I knew I just had to have some passenger presence on the layout or I would not be content.

There are people out there, who are so vile, so miserable, so hell bent on making someone's day miserable, that they thrive on it.

So you've met my ex-sister in-law? ;)

------------------------------

My railroad doesn't really have a "time," per-say, other than Modern-ish. The Whistle Stop RR runs mostly Diesels that would be considered "older" by today's standards, even though they are mostly still in heavy use (GP38's and the like). The Diesels run mostly freight. I also have a nice Hundson Steamer that runs the passenger excursion from time to time. And the diesels will always toot their horns at him when they meet on the track (the ones with sound anyway).

I like the freedom of the "any-time any-place" RR concept. Lets me run what I want when I want to run it.

Beady:

My layout is primarily a freight operation since the layout is smaller in size. I did at one time have Milwaukee Road passenger cars, but not enough HO passengers to justify the passenger service. So the management of the Milwaukee Northern is leasing a SOO Line doodle bug to carry HO workers to several sites on the layout. The SOO Line also has trackage rights on the Milwaukee Northern.

Thanks.

Greg

Being set in the early 80's..I'm limited to Amtrak or employee specials..but passenger ops never really lit my fire anyway. My layout now doesn't have the room, and I don't plan on making room for it when I get a larger space. I wouldn't mind having a couple BN passenger cars for a special but it won't be anything substantial. Growing up in the 80's, I missed the hay day of passenger trains so that bug never bit me.

Being set in the early 80's..I'm limited to Amtrak or employee specials..but passenger ops never really lit my fire anyway. My layout now doesn't have the room, and I don't plan on making room for it when I get a larger space. I wouldn't mind having a couple BN passenger cars for a special but it won't be anything substantial. Growing up in the 80's, I missed the hay day of passenger trains so that bug never bit me.

I think part of that is due to the generic nature of Amtrak trains, they all look alike and run in the background. When the railroads ran their own passenger trains, the trains were unique the road you were modeling, and there was a variety of equipment, thus generating an interest. On the other hand, it's easier to model Amtrak trains, simply acquire one P42, and three Amfleets, or five Superliners, and you're done. Passenger excursions, and Officials Trains, while generating a lot of railfan interest, are rare in general. My own prototype, for instance is freight only. However to stimulate operational interest, I can run a plausible commuter service, involving a road switcher, and a couple of coaches. An instant nuisance operation, requiring freight crews to clear up in advance of the commuter train.

Joe - I model the transition era as many know, and in a rather rural area, but do provide passenger service. I can't justify having my entire North coast limited show up on the layout, but I also have a train that takes passengers from my connection with the Northern Pacific at Logan, MT south over my rails to Yellowstone park. A short train, with a couple of coaches and dome cars.

110.jpg

My local passenger service is taken cars of with a number of different short trains, using leased older Northern Pacific equipment some of the time. Could be a steamer with a combine and coach or an RDC with a club car in tow.

IMAG0393-1.jpg IMAG0048_BURST002.jpg

There's also a doodlebug that makes the rounds.

IMAG0205.jpg

Nothing fancy out here. Passengers can also hop a drovers caboose if they want.

My situation is similar to Joe's, i.e., a freight line that is occasionally punctuated by a very short passenger train (a single E-unit plus 2 coaches) to "interfere" with the local crews. That was the norm for passenger service on the B&O around my modeling era, 1970, immediately before Amtrak came into being.

Chet: Didn't NP run a seasonal connection from the NCL to Jellystone during the Tourista season?

Back