Unusual tools

Beady

Wasn't quite sure where to put this question, but this seemed close.

What unusual tools have you found handy in building layouts? One thing I picked up at Harbor Freight that I haven't seen anyone mention, is a mechanic's dolley, used for scooting around underneath things while lying on your back. With my Old Man Problems, I figure this will be terrific for under-table wiring. $20.

Oh crap!

I built my benchwork high enough so that I can use a furniture dolly to scoot around on and still not hit my head. Getting my old butt back up off that thing is an issue though.

Hi,

I bought a padded creeper off Amazon, added some wood to get it to the correct height, a articulated TV mount with tray for holding tools and what not.

Worked out well.

Frederick

Attachments

• Creeper v2 1.jpg
    Creeper v2 1.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 148
I like my hemostats. My cousin used to be s surgical nurse and she gave me close to 30 sets of hemostats that could no longer be used in the operating room. I have small ones, large ones all with different tips. They sure come in handy working on different projects. Love them.

Hi,

I bought a padded creeper off Amazon, added some wood to get it to the correct height, a articulated TV mount with tray for holding tools and what not.

Worked out well.

Frederick

That dolly is AWESOME!!

A dry wall lift. That was indispensable when installing the ceiling and walls around the basement prior to starting benchwork.
Also, small mirrors. When I was installing the signal system, I had a laptop to do the signal programming. In order to see the signals that were facing away from me I used small mirrors clamped in a modeling vise propped up in front of the signal so I could see it from across the basement.

Beady:

I have a Craftsman's mechanic's chair that is on rollers that I can sit on at the workbench, but most valuable to sit on and roll under the layout to work on wiring and other maintenance tasks. The tray installed on fcwilt's creeper is a great idea. Many need to consider installing one on my mechanic's chair.

Greg

I agree with the creeper seat for wiring underneath. I use magnifying glass pieces of different sizes all over. One very low tech "tool" that I have handy are "T" pins. Alot of them. These are push pins about two inches long in the shape of a "T". These were great when working on everything after the initial bench work. Great for holding scenery, retaining walls, tunnel portals, vehicle roadways, track road bed and anything else that one would need to hold in place while glue dries.

How about these. Us older folks probably have a few sets of these hanging around. I know I have four.

IMAG0444.jpg

Back