MRR Consumer Reports

Beady

On my wish list is some sort of resource that describes, rates and locates the various sources for MRR supplies. I don't mean individual product reviews, I mean the manufacturers' reputations in general, plus ratings for their product categories.

This would especially help when considering the purchase of rolling stock from a lesser - known maker to be used with another maker. Do Con-cor passenger cars play well with Kato locamotives? Do Red Caboose products have any endemic defects? That kind of thing.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Unless people were prepared to pay for a professional resource, it would have to be volunteers who would offer to compile such a thing. If the former, you'd maybe get a few subscribers...not sure, but it wouldn't be cheap. If the latter, you'd get what you pay for and you'd have no recourse with volunteers.

I don't think it's a bad idea by any means, and I can see the potential utility for a great many people.

We do have reviews down at the bottom of the Forums page in Model Railroad Resources. New Products Reviews, which seems to be quite well established, and Model Railroad Product Reviews, maybe not quite so well represented. What you are suggesting though is a somewhat different slant on the usual review, a sort of broadening of the subject to include the usage of an item, compatibility etc in the general scheme of things. There are probably some posts of the type that get aired in this very thread, or in the Coffee House. Maybe write something that you think would be of interest as a starter to judge the acceptance and potential usage of the need for a thread like that. Trying to think just how you'd format it. Consumer Reports is probably not quite different enough to distinguish from what's already there.

In the forum there is a product review section, but I haven't seen many recent posts. We are the consumers. Many web sites have product reviews on products. Maybe we should review more model railroad products and post them.

Back