Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

Holy Crap Steve:eek:! Man, I want them to drill for oil but not in your head!:eek: Man, I don't care where your from.......Doctors these days @#$%&* Sux! Dude, I hope you get to feeling better!:) BTW: Want me to Plant my boot in her @$$ Fer ya?!:D I aslo I got some Chicken and rice on the stove;) Steve!:p

I know it ain't much smarter but, that's why I avoid the Doctors office and hospitals! I'd sooner see a Witch Doctor or a Root Healer than see any form of edumecated Doctors:p;):D

Man, the weather down here is GREAT! to day it got to a Dry 78 degree's and to night it's going to fall to 40 degrees! wow:D:D

Wow, you guys got it easy on the fire wood..... we use ONLY wood fired heat for our house and burn about TEN cords per season. (thats 40 face cords for Ray!!) Ray, i knew what a face cord was, but never really herd the term used as much as you do, must be a upper NY thing. Here in southern PA, we can get a full cord cut, split seasoned and delevered for about 145.00 I cut most of our wood from our property and towards the end we just get it delivered. I have only cut and split about two cord thus far. I blew the tire out on the old Ford 8N dragging it out last week. so when ever thats fixed, it back into the wilderness for more wood.

Enjoy the cool weather Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you guys got it easy on the fire wood..... we use ONLY wood fired heat for our house and burn about TEN cords per season. (thats 40 face cords for Ray!!) Ray, i knew what a face cord was, but never really herd the term used as much as you do, must be a upper NY thing. Here in southern PA, we can get a full cord cut, split seasoned and delevered for about 145.00 I cut most of our wood from our property and towards the end we just get it delivered. I have only cut and split about two cord thus far. I blew the tire out on the old Ford 8N dragging it out last week. so when ever thats fixed, it back into the wilderness for more wood.

Enjoy the cool weather Ryan

Ten cords...... that is a lot of splitting for sure! The face cord thing is how most wood is sold around here. If you just ask for cords, most dealers will think you are talking face cord. I would probably use 12 to 15 face cords (3 or 4 cords) of wood to heat my house if it were the only heat. Of course I live in a small ranch house and two of my bedrooms are not heated at all during the winter as I only use them for storage. About half my heat is from wood (when I can get it free or cheap).

Got my two doctors visits wrapped up this morning so I wouldn't have to make a second trip to town in the afternoon. When I got home I discovered that the cable internet was out - again! Called Suddenlink and told them what I think of the problem. Supposedly there's a tech coming tomorrow to check the problem out. My parents (1/8 of a mile from here) were off too so the problem isn't in my system. My neighbor was off too. Boy, was he ever ticked! Seems that the promblem is in a booster between here and the highway but nobody seems to know which one. RIGHT!Someday somebody is gonna put a load of buckshot in that booster then it will HAVE to be fixed.

OldTrail/Ray: A cord is a tight stack of wood cuts laying parallel and 4x4x8 feet or 128 cu.ft and I always thought a face cord was half of that. My curiousity got the best of me and I now know it's a little different. First, its not an exact nor legal measurement, but generally accepted as 13-16"x4'x8' and closer to 1/3 cord. So I guess my delivered loads are ~1/2 cord since they are ~2x4x8. Interesting.:rolleyes:

Good late evening/early morning, everyone.

Been out running around with the relatives today as well as spending about six hours with sprint trying to get my brother's Palm phone to receive data again. Turns out that something is bad in the phone and Sprint tells you to call Palm and deal with them. Now he has to pay $25 for a new phone that's still under warranty. I knew there was a reason I dumped Sprint about 10 years ago. :mad:

Steve. holy cow, that's about the worst dental injury I've ever heard of. Is this your regular dentist? I know what happened was bad enough but it could have been much worse. I'd really consider filing a complaint with whatever agency regulates dentists in the UK. Either she doesn't have enough experience, incompetent, or she's on something.

Jeffrey, there have been several times I wanted to shoot my Charter booster as well. Heck, it might even make it work better. :)

Now, coming from California, the land that regulates all things, firewood is part of the deal. A cord of wood is defined by the Department of Weights and Measures as "128 cubic feet of wood". To be sure you have a cord, stack the wood neatly by placing the wood in a line or a row, with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other. Make sure that the wood is compact and has as few gaps as possible. Then measure the stack. If the width times the height times the length equals 128 cubic feet, you have a cord of firewood. The use of terms like face cord or pickup truck load is illegal in California. You can only sell in cords, half cords, and 1/4 cords. Most of the wood dealers have containers built to these sizes and stacked the wood in the container and delivered it so you could see that you were getting a true measure. Of course, all these snappy regulations are probably why a cord of green pine costs $250 in California. :)

It didn't snow here today but it was chilly, with a strong north wind, which made it feel a lot colder. It's 40 right now and I don't think will get much colder since the wind is still up but the wind chill is 33 which is near to about as cold as we Southern boys can stand this early in the season. :D

10-28-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

Good morning.

It's 39 and clear. That Yankee weather is making itself felt way down here in the south. The high will be in the low 60's and it will be sunny.

Got both of my doctors visits wrapped up in the morning yesterday and got home to find that the high-speed internet service was offline. So what else is new! I spent almost two hours on the phone talking to a tech in Tyler who seemed intent on proving that the problem was with my system, even after I had already told him that everyone else out here was out as well. He checked the status of my modem and didn't get any signal back, little wonder since no signal was getting through to it. I had him check the status of my parents modem (I know it was on because I was looking right at it, as I was using their phone) and he got the same results. I asked him what does it signify when you get the exact same result on two completely independent systems 1/8th of a mile apart and he agreed with me that it's got to be a problem upline of our location. The nets up now, barely. It's running about 1/3rd speed on download and upload. A tech is supposed to be coming today to look into the problem. Usually that means they make adjuments on the piece of equipment causing the problem and it's OK until the next time the weather changes (about a week).

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/28/2008

Wind Chill: 39°F
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 30°F

So Far Today
High: 41°F
Low: 39°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NNE

Today High: 65 Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 35 Clear. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010073.jpg

Good Morning Everyone ! It's hold on to your hat weather here in Western New York . Got another doctor's visit today . It's my kidney doctor . I see him once a year and it is mainly to stay in touch. He isn't very active in my care but it is good to to see him . I've been going to him since 1981 and lets just say he knows my condition better then any other doctor. Ray those thunderstoms stayed mostly east of us off Lake Ontario nearer Lockport and Akron way . Well have to get in gear . Hope you all have a nice day !

Good morning folks

It was a wet and raw 39 F as I headed onto the leaf-slick roads this morning. The traffic report read like a litany of accidents. It seemed like you couldn’t get any where with some sort of delay. I even saw some snow flurries. Our high today is supposed to be 46 F with the rain continuing. They are calling for accumulating snow up in the Pocono’s.

No modeling last night. My daughter had an away volleyball game which they won. I am trying to wrap up our Cub Scout popcorn sale. We have to turn everything in at the end of the week.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Mornin' everyone!

Wood stove got reloaded this morning for the first morning this year...... Currently 41°F with a high of 40°F, ah, hmmmm? Well anyway it isn't going to get any warmer and the low will be 32°F this evening. 1" to 3" of heavy wet white stuff supposed to be on the ground tomorrow with another 1 to 3 tomorrow night. Just another beautiful day in the Finger Lakes!

Rex/Jim the buying of wood for fuel falls into that "Buyer Beware" rule. Most of the Tree surgeons around here and others that cut wood for sale are pretty good about making sure the customer gets a fair share, but I have heard some stories about people buying hardwood and it came mostly pine, or upon restacking the wood you only get 3/4 of what you paid for. I usually glean from limbs or trees that are down as much as possible. I prefer free fuel to paid for any day......;);):D

I have 3 days worth of stuff I have been avoiding that has to get done today. So I best get at it! See you all later.

Good Morning Everyone! Brrrrrr! Its cold in the South.

Today, is my wife's anniversary for having the honor of being married to me 42 years :rolleyes::eek:...and I didn't forget...thank goodness! :D

When it comes to firewood, I have been very lucky to find a good supplier. Many will try to screw you over by just throwing the logs in the truck instead of stacking them. They will say that you will get a "pickup load", but if you don't ask it may be a loose pile in a 1/2 ton or even a mid-size truck. One of my students sold wood and showed up at my house in an old Toyota. He told me, "Well, that's the load I sell over at...(He named this richy neighborhood)". When I told him I didn't throw my money around like they do and asked if he wanted to pass his course (kidding).......he added another load.:D:D

Jeffrey: I think all the ISP's hire shade-tree techs. I once had the exact problems you are having. I tried to convince them that it was an area problem and not just me. No-no, they said and ran me a new cable from pole to house, even replaced my modem. Guess what...still didn't work...duh! They finally found the problem 3 blocks away on the pole.:p

I just went out for lunch and the temperature is 38 F and there are snow squalls a couple miles to the east. Some roads are snow covered and in a few cases closed. I don’t think we will hit that 46 F mark. The rain and the wind are really nasty. It actually stings when it hits your exposed skin.

Yes,,, gotta say it's sore today, woke up with what felt like a horses tongue, it was swollen a bit you could say. She is a newly qualified dentist a few months ago, and new or not i don't pay for butchery which is what i went through. You see we are short of dentist in the UK and the calibre of new dentists is generally falling short of the mark, which government must take some of the blame for pushing new recruits through with back door methods. anyway just sucked my mush meal up,,, boy are they gonna pay

My father and I have learned that when dealing with phone and internet companies, it is always best to inform the tech support (at least on the phone), that you are a hired consultant, and you charge say, $50-100 dollars an hour, and you have been troubleshooting for a couple hours already, and ask where to send the bill. Usually they will deal with you in a much quicker manner.

Of course it may help if you are actually licensed for the type of stuff, but its how we got our modem replaced twice. Of course they still tried to blame the problems on the splitter (which works fine and is of higher quality then the junk they use, and it still didn't work without the splitter)

Jeffrey: I think all the ISP's hire shade-tree techs. I once had the exact problems you are having. I tried to convince them that it was an area problem and not just me. No-no, they said and ran me a new cable from pole to house, even replaced my modem. Guess what...still didn't work...duh! They finally found the problem 3 blocks away on the pole.:p
Know just what you mean. It took what happened yesterday to get their attention. A whole node went down. The box finally gave up the ghost. They put up a new one yesterday afternoon and spent most of the night and part of today tuning it. Maybe it'll run longer than a week.

Yes,,, gotta say it's sore today, woke up with what felt like a horses tongue, it was swollen a bit you could say. She is a newly qualified dentist a few months ago, and new or not i don't pay for butchery which is what i went through. You see we are short of dentist in the UK and the calibre of new dentists is generally falling short of the mark, which government must take some of the blame for pushing new recruits through with back door methods. anyway just sucked my mush meal up,,, boy are they gonna pay

"anyway just sucked my mush meal up,,, " Please Sir, Can I have some more?!:(" LOL's

Dang right! Steve you really took one for the team this time....;)

Ray / Rex I try to get most of out wood off our property. I TRY to get the nice red oak rounds that seam to die off at about the 6" dia and plenty fall every season., plus, this year and last we had bad gypsy mohs, so the picken's are good. I dont mind splitting wood (maul and wedge) but its tha bending over to pick it up put it on the stump, then into the wheel barrow, ect. of all the fancy gizmos we waste our money on, some needs to come up with a way to minimize all the "handeling" of the wood. IE pick it up in the woods, un load at house, pick up to split, pick up after spliting, take out of wagon and stack, take off big stack and take in house to small stack, take off small stack and put in wood stove.

Never realized how many time you touched a stupid piece of wood just to get some heat????!!!! yet still, after all the dropping and moving, how in the world, does all that saw dust still end up in the house??

Ryan

Never realized how many time you touched a stupid piece of wood just to get some heat????!!!! yet still, after all the dropping and moving, how in the world, does all that saw dust still end up in the house??

Ryan

It's kinda like....No matter how many times you wash your dog, he always smells like a dog!:rolleyes:;):D

Good afternoon to all from Coarsegold,
I sure did have problems with my computer containing Viruses and Spyware and for about
three days have had a heck of a job to get rid of the crap! It took some effort to get enough of the crap removed to allow me to load AVG Antivirus on my system, BTW, 'It's a Totally Free Antivirus, Antispyware, Email scanner & Antispam program' so if your in need it is a good one nad the price is right!

I guess I got some of you guys thinking in asking Ray about a Face Cord as far as the actual size. As Rex said, and I guess it happens most everywhere some guys will try and short you by using a couple of different methods. Either not stacking the wood so you can actually what was delivered - especially if they use a smaller truck or very loosely stacking it to make it streach out in filling the area. I found a couple of guys who, along with my help will stack the wood to ensure that there is a full Cord there and bring whatever is needed to make up the differencce if they are short. These are the guys who are making a living from cutting and selling wood. The way I've always been shown to stack a coard of wood that is cut approximately 24" in length is to measure off an 8' length if your going to stack double rows or 16' for a single row and then at each end you stack four or five pieces side by side nice and tight and then build upon those a next row stacked at a 90* angle to the first and son on till you reach the 4' or so hight and this wat it form two usually fairly substantial columns on each end to contain the rest of the wood stacked fairly tightly in between .

Speaking of guys trying to short you or me in this situation, I had one guy come around one very rainy night, after calling saying he had a Cord of wood to sell and he shows up in a Chevy Elcamino and the bed wasn't even piled high or didn't even fill the width with Oak wood and he was trying to pass it off as a Cord and I told him that if he had a quarter of a Cord there he be lucky and sent him on his way. You do have to be careful
about buying wood as there are all kinds of tricks used. Another trick is to try and sell wood that is cut to 16" lengths, for some wood stoves, and only stacking two rows to supposedly equal a Cord when in reality it should be three rows to come up with the actual 4' width.

Well guys have a good night and I'll see you tomorrow, sure glad I got the AVG Antivirus program loaded!

Take care!

Back