The 30th Coffee Shoppe Dec 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly the stock cars....I like that AHM GN car....I bought one just like it (same number) last year at a train show for $3.00. Looks like the door is glued shut.

I've seen a ad on CL for a bunch of HO and N scale stuff for $75. Mostly Tyco trains and Life Like buildings still in the box. I'd buy it, but don't need most of it. I could probably sell the N scale stuff. Do you get stuff the CL at all?
The doors are glued shut. Both lower door are gone. Don't think I've heard of CL.

Got two more cars done. An AHM Niagara covered hopper and a Tyco Red Box NH boxcar.

Thunderstorm blew through so I went to town to get the second half of the grocery shopping done. Got the groceries put away and now I'm working on another car. An AHM/Roco dry ice reefer.

P1010362.jpg

P1010363.jpg

I have five more cars done. The AHM/Roco dry ice reefer and four of the seven AHM/Roco KO&G boxcars. I was working on them two at a time. Time to take a break!

P1010364.jpg

P1010366.jpg

I got the last three KO&G boxcars and a thrall Weyerhaeuser boxcar done. That's thirteen cars in all. That leaves ten with wheels and couplers.

Here's a list for the curious so I don't get buried in PM's.

One AHM/Tempo MKT stock car. Fleischmann type trucks/couplers.

One CARX 50810 plug door boxcar. Fleischmann type trucks/couplers. Brake wheel missing.

One ART 700 Walthers Berghoff Beer reefer. Broken horn hook coupler. Missing One roof hatch. One broken stirrup.

One EKSX Kahn's brine tank refrigerator car. Horn hook couplers. Missing brake wheel. One broken stirrup.

Two Life-Like URTX 4750 Dubuque reefer cars. Horn hook couplers. Missing brake wheel on both cars. One car has a broken sroken stirrup.

Two Tyco Dairymen's League reefer cars. Horn hook couplers. Both cars missing brake wheels.

One Bachmann Swift Premium reefer. Horn hook couplers. One coupler broken.

One Lionel HO? (Athearn) stock car (D&RGW 78573). Horn hook couplers. Missing brake wheel.

Five other cars, just bodies.

One AHM/Tempo MKT stock car. One broken stirrup. No trucks/couplers.

One AHM/Rivarossi Oscar Mayer reefer. Three broken stirrups. No trucks/couplers.

One Roco? SRLX 4226 Swift reefer. Missing brake wheel. No trucks/couplers.

One Life-Like Soo Line 29647 stock car. Missing brake wheel. Loose door guide. No trucks/couplers.

One AHM NKP 50491 stock car. No trucks/couplers.

Time for me to call it a night. It's been very busy day what with all the work I did on the rolling stock and I'm very tired. Not to mention bringing the groceries in. Trying to balance a load like that while coming up the steps is hard and I almost have to drop to my knees to get in the door. Well, nobody said life was easy. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010369.jpg

Hi Kids!

LONG time...no see! Well, actually, I've been sneaking in now and again
just to make sure all was well. Life has just been too busy to stop and chat.

Got about 12" of snow downtown Denver today. Needless to say that the drive was interesting.

Just wanted to stop in and say "howdy". Haven't heard anything about Jim for awhile, and Bob is absent as well. I hope all is going smoothly for the rest!

Have a great weekend!

Sandy

Morning all from Ye Olde London Towne. Like Sandy I seem to just pop in from time to time. Have a coffee and quietly sit in the corner. Just thought I'd say hello and give a bit of an update on this side of the pond.

Lots of people moving about and it looks like there is now a critical mass of NMRA members in Kent & East Sussex. With that I'll be tagging along with this new regional group. Sadly the group I'm currently with has moved further to the north east making it a 3-4 hour round trip for meetings. Work has also made it very difficult to participate in club activities.

Layout construction in the shed continues slowly. I've now got all the module frames assembled and need to start erecting the thing so I can get down to track laying. I've actually built 4 extra modules so that it can be stretched to 31' when taken to train shows. When in the shed though its 7' by 23'. As a result, I've also had to start culling my British outline stuff to make room. I just don't have the space and time to do both anymore.

Winter has finally arrived. No snow but chilly at -3c (26f) last night with highs today around 1-2 (34-36f) For only the second time in 14 months I'll need the scraper and brush for the Landy today.

Take care all and I'll try to keep up more frequently. Time now for a nice hot cup of Flo's java and that massive steak & eggs breakfast looks tempting. :D

Sandy & Andrew! Heya! Long time no see!
Ya ought to come around more often, we wont bite!!:D

Ooops, gotta run myself! Train show at Timonium today!

Good morning. It's 68° with heavy clouds and thunder. The high will be 72°. There's an 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms.

Here it is 7:25 am and it's still pitch black dark. We're under a flash flood watch for what looks like a good part of central Louisiana. The lake is back up to it's normal level and probably a little above by now. I'm glad my home is on a hill top about thirty four feet above lake level. The highest the water has ever come up was twelve feet. It couldn't go any higher as the water was pouring over the top of the dam. For some reason the flood gates wouldn't open. Jammed up with logs I think.

Well, already this morning I've added weight to all seven of the KO&G boxcars. It took a piece of sheet lead the length and width of the car to raise the weight to 3.9 - 4.2 ounces. The dry ice reefer is next.

P1011201.jpg

Late Evening time to go to Bed time. Been a real busy day, beautiful weather. Got up to about 78* w/a med. breeze. Finally got the train shop cleaned up. hauled all the printer & puter parts out to the trainroom & stored them under the tables on shelves. Now, I can do some repairs on about 3 engines. have to take the noise out of 2 Bachmann Spectrums & add LED's for lites. Also, have another engine w/a blown headlite that I gotta fix. There's always another day. See ya tomorrow folks.;)

Time for me to call it a night. It's been a busy day starting with a busy morning. I added sheets of lead to to thirteen freight cars with them held in each car with brass screws. I spent an average of four and a half minutes on each car with a gap between cars only long enough to cut a piece of lead sheet, get a couple of screws and pop open the next car. Ten boxcars/reefers, one thrall car, two covered hoppers. I had an audience of one so I did the absolute best I could in as little time as possible.

I posted this morning and there's been one post since until now. Slow day.

See y'all tomorrow.

P1010379.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.

anim_coffee.png

:cool:

IT'S SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
FROM
INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA!

964-Y4yWE.Em.55.jpg

Good morning. It's raining and 42. Still haven't heard the results of the special board meeting, though I'm beginning to believe if there's no place in the club for someone that only wants to run trains and repair them, there may be no place in the club for me.

Moving on to other excitement, my wife's Pontiac G6 has been very economical and reliable, until about 3 months ago. At that time, we started having problems with the brake lights coming on, and not going off. This is not a good thing, for a couple of reasons. First, dead battery and burned out tail light bulbs. Second, the way people drive, the guy behind my wife would not notice my wife was stopping until he hit her. Also, with this happening, it sometimes is difficult to shift out of park because of the Audi interlock. I tried replacing the brake pedal position sensor (there is no switch), and removing and cleaning all the connections to the onboard computer. No luck. Since Pontiac is out of business, I tried the Chevrolet dealer. They told me the only thing they could do was replace the sensor, replace the wiring harness, replace the computer, and program the replacement computer, and hope it fixes the problem. They will not guarantee the repair. Cost is $1100 for the computer, $700 for the harness, $1800 for labor to replace the entire harness (it's all one big harness/bus line, that goes all through the car).
So, for $3600+, it may or may not get fixed. I have to have the dealer perform this work, since the dealer is the only one that can program the computer. I CAN do the work, and have the car towed to the dealer for programming. The labor to reprogram the new computer is about $200, still total of two grand.
The solution was to spend that money as a down payment on a new car, trading in the G6. My wife is now the proud owner of a new Ford Focus, and it will be a LONG time before I buy another GM product. Incidentally, the extended warranty we got with it covers all computer-controlled components and bus wiring. Get me once, shame on you, get me twice, shame on me... She's happy with the car, and I was watching the fuel mileage as we drove to Salisbury and back last night. IF the calculator is accurate, it gets 38-40 mpg on the road, and 31 around town. Both without the a/c running.

Good morning. It's 45 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 57, cloudy and cooler. There's a 20% chance of showers.

The newly weighted and Kadee converted freight cars will be moved to the paint shop for weathering. They're way to clean considering they range in age from ten to forty some odd years. That's if the weather cooperates as the sealing operation must be done outside. I didn't have the time to get over to Lowe's the other day to get a can of Valspar Clear Flat as I was trying to beat the rain, so I picked up a can of Krylon Matte Finish while I was getting the groceries at Wal-mart. I also got two bottles of Loctite super glue gel whether I needed it or not.

P1010382.jpg

Terry

Its 34 degrres right now, cloudy and going to 43 (how I don't know, cant see the sun!) Eveything is white, got a whopping inch and a half of snow yesterday!

Still in limbo eh, havn't they got phones down there?:rolleyes:

At least you have the Mrs. straightend out with a new car. Sounds like the GM dealer wanted to do a "shotgun" repair. Good thing you were too smart for that, shame on him! I hate to say this after being involved with the repair of GM vehicles for 20 years, but the tech who checked your car better go back to changing oil. Thats all he's qualified for and he just lost a customer!
Anyways, enough about that. My blood pressure is up enough!

Coffee anyone, Flo just made a fresh pot!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
morning its 25* out & there is no snow anywhere except in 3 place & 1 of them is my yard :eek: funny i mean there is no snow except my place & 2 neighbor, damn you snow gods lol, well my son is doing a rail senery project for school & the exwife is out for the weekend sooo it quite ;)

Well if there could ever be a week from hell !

Started out with having to go to my grandparents to assist my grandma everyday after school. She just had a knee replacement surgery thing and cant do a whole lot, so me and my mom got to run over there every single day. Sure my grandfather does what he cant, but hes not exactly the best at doing stuff like cooking and cleaning. My mom and sister took care of that, while i helped out where i could.

Yesterday was spent at my house but i started at 6am by cleaning everything out of my room and storing it in various places so i could start on redoing my room. I also wound up tearing the entire front end of the red fourwheeler apart. The last trip to camp my dad discovered what appeared to be leaking break fluid. So, in order to check all of the break lines i went ahead and tore everything apart and took a couple laps around the yard using the brakes to try and replicate the problem. Imagine my surprise when no more leaks ! After some head scratching my dad and i determined it mustve just been some hydraulic oil splashing up onto the frame from the ride, i mean after all they discovered it after driving to go check out the logging operation. Of course the parts had already been ordered, so that whole project was nothing but a waste of time and money. In disgust i didnt even reassemble the wheeler, it sitting torn apart in the garage where it will likely stay for a few days until i can get over myself :rolleyes:. Anyways, that night we went to the hockey game with my other grandparents. After a killer 3rd period the phantoms lost with a shot from the red line that scored with 1 second left to tie it. Of course the rest of the team wasnt back out of the zone and it was no goal, damn :rolleyes:. After the game it was about 10pm and i decided to start tearing the paneling off the drywall in my room. It managed to get about 1/3 of it off before i called it quits around 1am. I woke up at 7am this morning and went right back to it. Im about 2/3 of the way done right now. Originally the paneling was just nailed on, and then i found where it was glued on. Needless to say progress slowed drastically :mad:.

So, after all that i decided to set the hammer and crowbar down, grab my laptop, and finally settle down and relax. After all, its Superbowl Sunday, there things to do ! My main objectives for today are to go shopping and start cooking. Ill be making the bean dip and buffalo chicken dips, both are mmmmm good ! Other than that ill be looking forward to bonless wings, montzarella sticks, french fries, and maybe some burgers :D

So, its the big day, lets hear everyones picks ! :D:D

As a Patriots fan, ive got to pick Tom and the rest of the team. Even though the Pats lost to the G-Men earlier in the season, I cant see Tom Brady losing to Eli twice in one season, and definetely not twice in two Superbowl appearances. Living in NY im definetely a minority as a Pats fan, so im looking forward to hopefully showing up and shutting up every single one of the Giants fans/Patriots haters :cool:

Karl- I know you went to a train show, hurry up and tell us what the haul was ! :D

Jeff- Nice work on those new cars ! That Thrall car is nice looking, i think I have a GB&W painted one somewheres, its not bad !

Terry- Car Shopping is really something im dreading. Ill probably start that next weekend. Thats excellent fuel mileage though !

Hope everyone has a good day, and remember to root for the PATRIOTS !!

Sunny and warm in SoCal. I have no dog in this fight, but I believe the Giants are the better more rounded team. I do have a soft spot for Eli as he QBs a couple of my fantasy teams. Should be a heck of a game though.

Definitely can do without all the pregame hype. I'll find stuff to do during the day and turn the game on when they're about to kick-off.

Karl- I know you went to a train show, hurry up and tell us what the haul was ! :D

Matt. I sold more than I bought, and ran trains most of the day, In fact, the only thing I got was this engine, a Stewart Baldwin 4-4-1000, but here's the killer. It is missing the 2nd accessory bag containing coupler pockets,horn,bell, exhaust stack and wiper blades. But I got it checp. New in the box, 10 bucks.:D:D:D
B&O451a.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back