The 30th Coffee Shoppe Dec 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh i finally got in its 34* up to 45* partly cloudy , im driving my z28 to the shippers so i gets to fla & im running my 2-8-2 mth in the background for steam sound while im on the computer :cool:

While were on the subject , JB Weld makes a great body filler! :D Rather than squadron putty I use JBWeld. Sets up in minutes, not hours, can be filed, Dremeled, sanded, adds structural strength, and best of all, it wont shrink!! Holds paint like any plastic. 1001 uses on the workbench!!

1 drawback, it does have an odor til it cures, might want to try to keep fragile female noses away from it, or at least ventilate.:rolleyes:

Dang good idea! I have some on hand, but never thought to use it in my modeling.

Had a good day, yesterday. Carey came over and helped me with my yearly (+, :eek: ) locomotive maintenance. We still have about a dozen to go and will get into them next week. In the meantime, I am going to give all the track a super cleaning that has been long overdo.

Went to the dentist today for teeth cleaning and he found a sneaky little cavity that needs to be taken care of. Will be going back in the morning for that....dang-nim-it!

A rainy but warm day in T-town at 72* with 74* forecast for tomorrow. I would be leery of this warm weather in February if the whole country wasn't the same.

:)Hope all are well and have a good day.:)

Got the bills paid. Got the groceries and filled up the tank on the van. $47 for fourteen gallons. That's a little over half a tank on that monster. Got to go see my primary doctor tomorrow morning. Follow-up on the lab work work that was done last time. That's a waste of a morning.

I had an interesting morning. I found out that someone hacked my email and sent spam to everyone on my contacts list. This is a yahoo email that I've had for ten years. What I can't figure out is how they got my password. I try to be careful not to get caught in "fishing" schemes and other obvious pitfalls. I changed the passwords on all of my online accounts this morning. It makes me feel like I need to be a little more careful with online anything.:mad:

Corey
I'd dump Yahoo faster than a rotted hot potato.:eek: We've had issues traced back to Yahoo on 3 occasions with the Wife's computer that have neccessitated a total wipeout of the hard drive to get rid of it. :mad: Thankfully nothing has ever gotten to the backup drive downstairs. :cool:
Might I suggest a gmail account, its free, accessable anywhere, and they are a little more on the ball than Yahoo.:D

My hotmail that I've had since the last century was hacked as well and all the spam they sent was the same that I've seen on the Yahoo forums the last few days. I even got one autoreply that was also spam.

You are probably right, changing the radiator will double the value. Even if I changed the radiator before I burned it for the insurance, I still wouldn't get anything, I haven't had comprehensive for at least a decade.

JB Quick is better for those repairs you need done fast, repairs like dentistry and such.

Jeffrey, another reason I want to keep the car is the 45 miles/gallon it gets on warm sunny days. It's not doing so well now, down to about 35mpg.

Had an electrical issue with the layout. Turned on the Zephyr and pressed the button for track power. Indicator lit and got power to the track then there was a puff of smoke just under the edge of the layout and then no power to the track. Problem turned out to be a crimp-on connector that was missed when I went to all soldered wire joints. The connector had corroded inside and compromised the connection, resulting in the wire burning in two. This is a perfect illustration of why I got away from crimp-on and suitcase connectors. Even at their best they're undependable. I'm pretty sure that was the last one.

Good Afternoon All,

It's rather a nice day here in Coarsegold with a low of 34* and a high of 62* forecast. The Winter sure hasn't been as cold as for as long as it used too, but cold enough for me, and it seems we are behind considerably on rainfall too but we still have three more months that can be fairly bad yet and today being Feb 1st is the start of the next three months that can present bad weather.

I've always enjoyed scratch building the various structures to fit the area I have available on my layout as well as creating additions for others and even played around with offering custom or generic building kits for sale as part of my other MRR supplies such as stain, paint and weathering items.

I ordered a Miter-Rite saw guide for the little hand razor saw but it is just to time consuming to cut many things with it and even after I stiffened it up by building a stand for it it's really only good for very light work where only a cut or two are required. So a little table saw should be just what I need!

So yesterday evening I was looking at a small table saw available through one source but it only had a 2" diameter blade on it and rather a small table. So I checked Harbor Freight and they had what seemed to be a fairly nice 4" diameter blade table saw with a 5" x 7.5" table that came with 1 Reg Wood blade and 1 Diamond coated edged blade. Then I checked Amazon and low and behold they had what appeared to be an upgraded SE version of the same Mighty-Mite table saw and for a little less too so I ordered it and got the confirmation it's in the process of being shipped so next week about this time I should get it.

I'm not sure if it will come with 1 Carbide Tipped blade and 1 Diamond edged blade or not? It seems to say it will in the specs but time will tell? The HF saw had the D blade as well as Reg wood saw blade that came with it. I ordered two additional 4" Carbide tipped blades for at $4.99 each and another Diamond coated edged blade for it too from HF.

Now only two things that I'll need to correct on the little saw are the fact it doesn't appear to have a protractor gauge on the guide that you hold the wood against as you push it into and past the saw blade but possibly I can use the Digital Angle Gauge to set that precisely with if it will also work laying flat on the saw table top? The little saw also doesn't have an adjustable fence either but that can also be made fairly easy I believe?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SNM32W/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The odd thing about the Amazon site was they didn't seem to offer any additional blades for it like the 24 tooth Carbide Tipped blade Harbor Freight offers so I'm going to buy a couple of extras and at $4.99 each it won't break the bank plus HF also had a nice Digital Angle gauge with a Green display with Black numbers that show up very nicely for me and for only $28.99 so it not too bad either.

Well, business wise, things are starting to pick-up which I'm glad to see as I have lots of product to offer any of you at some good savings so I'm hoping more of you will take advantage of what I have available for your modeling enjoyment & savings.

I'm working to get my web site re-railed, but no frog, and get some pricing down for at least the main items, at least from my standpoint, but glad to price out whatever you may be interested in so let me know and I'm sure I can save your hard earned cash for you too! If not I'll say so up-front.

Talk with you again.

Good evening. It's 55 and raining. That suits my mood.
Several months ago, I expressed a quandary I had over whether I should join the local model railroad club. I became convinced what happened was a glitch, after many assurances by all the members I came in contact with. So, yesterday, after having performed all the required tasks to become one, I was voted in as a full member of the club, rather than a probationary one. Then the emails from disgruntled club members started, and in what has to be the shortest club membership in history, I have been suspended as a member pending a special meeting of the board of directors. It seems I am supposed to take time off from work to attend their business meetings, or else I can't be a member. Their meetings start about 5 pm, and break up before 7. I just got home from work a few minutes ago, and I haven't had supper or taken a shower yet, so there would be absolutely no way to attend these meetings they seem to want me at, "so they can get to know me". So it seems if I want to become a member of this club, I have to request time off from work in advance, and go hang around with the people bitching about me, that I am taking pains to avoid because I don't want to be around them. Oh, and that time will come out of my available vacation and sick time... My boss will love my reason for missing work.
This has become increasingly frustrating to me over the years, as any clubs left in existence seem more and more bent on becoming exclusionary "good old boys" clubs. In fact, one of the complaining emails very pointedly said there was supposed to be mandatory socializing, and not just running trains.
At this moment, I am seriously considering Ebaying all my trains, and beginning a collection of pictures of dead presidents on US currency.
Anyway, thanks for reading (or not), and any suggestions short of unloading firearms through their muzzle would be helpful.:mad:

Terry.
Chill for a bit!!:eek:
Besides,
What do ya need them for, You got us!!:D

Mandatory socializing? WTF is that? How did you get out of the probationary period with no one knowing who you were? And if you are not there to run trains, why are you there? If you are contributing to the forward progress of the club, then where's the beef?

Sounds like you got wrapped up in a gang that would rather BS 90% of the time and do stuff the other 10%.If thats the case, find another club.
But keep your trains!!:D

Went to the fire dept meeting tonight. They had more on scenarios (continuation of last time) to see how much the people remembered. A few new things were added and I was able to pass on some of my knowledge and experience. These sessions aren't really like a classroom thing. Getting information from a teacher who may or may not have 'hands on' experience is one thing but getting it from someone who's been there and knows first-hand what can happen in any given situation is something else again. Having a fire scenario presented in text book fashion is OK but it's been my experience that the fire didn't read that text book. Some small change can make the situation start going south in a hurry and you have to be able to recognize it and do something about it. A text book presents it in steps of A, B, C ,D but when you're out there and it goes A, B, and suddenly R jumps in there what do you do? The teacher is NOT there and mommy and daddy aren't there to comfort you. You have to know what to do and that's why learning from a seasoned veteran is important. They've been there. But enough about that.

Time for me to call it a night. I have a doctor appointment early so I need my rest.

P1011192.jpg

Terry.
Chill for a bit!!:eek:
Besides,
What do ya need them for, You got us!!:D

Mandatory socializing? WTF is that? How did you get out of the probationary period with no one knowing who you were? And if you are not there to run trains, why are you there? If you are contributing to the forward progress of the club, then where's the beef?

Sounds like you got wrapped up in a gang that would rather BS 90% of the time and do stuff the other 10%.If thats the case, find another club.
But keep your trains!!:D
For some stupid reason, I thought it would be nice to operate my trains through completed scenery, on a layout big enough to justify the large engines I own. These people that don't know me, obviously never made it to the club open house, where I spent two 8 hour days perched on a stool to keep operations in order, without major collisions or other problems, along with shaking hands with visitors and answering their questions, while the regular members hid in the back office and drank coffee. As for one of the other comments, I am fully aware belonging to a club isn't all about running trains,as I generally spend at least a half hour each time I go there to repair broken club-owned equipment. I really don't know what else they want. And no, I didn't make it a point to wave my hands in the air and yell that I'd just replaced a half-dozen broken couplers, or fixed a balky wheelset or truck on a club owned car. Maybe I should have, but I am not the kind of guy that goes around blowing his horn. The club president is going to explain this to the board of directors Friday afternoon at the special meeting.
I do know I could get a lot more done on my home layout if I stayed home and worked on it, rather than somebody else's stuff.

Terry, I'm sorry you're having a tough time in your new club. It sounds like these folks are a difficult bunch to get along with. I bet they also sit around and scratch their heads while trying to figure out how to add new members.:rolleyes: Now the question is, do you put up with it or move on?

Several months ago, I expressed a quandary I had over whether I should join the local model railroad club. I became convinced what happened was a glitch, after many assurances by all the members I came in contact with. So, yesterday, after having performed all the required tasks to become one, I was voted in as a full member of the club, rather than a probationary one. Then the emails from disgruntled club members started, and in what has to be the shortest club membership in history, I have been suspended as a member pending a special meeting of the board of directors. It seems I am supposed to take time off from work to attend their business meetings, or else I can't be a member. Their meetings start about 5 pm, and break up before 7. I just got home from work a few minutes ago, and I haven't had supper or taken a shower yet, so there would be absolutely no way to attend these meetings they seem to want me at, "so they can get to know me". So it seems if I want to become a member of this club, I have to request time off from work in advance, and go hang around with the people bitching about me, that I am taking pains to avoid because I don't want to be around them. Oh, and that time will come out of my available vacation and sick time... My boss will love my reason for missing work.
This has become increasingly frustrating to me over the years, as any clubs left in existence seem more and more bent on becoming exclusionary "good old boys" clubs. In fact, one of the complaining emails very pointedly said there was supposed to be mandatory socializing, and not just running trains.
At this moment, I am seriously considering Ebaying all my trains, and beginning a collection of pictures of dead presidents on US currency.
Anyway, thanks for reading (or not), and any suggestions short of unloading firearms through their muzzle would be helpful.:mad:

Say Terry,
For some reason now-a-days it seems there's always a few that feel the need to bicker and harass for no real reason other than be the real PIA they are!

And maybe, as unfortunate as the situation seems, it could well be a blessing in disguise as your time may be much better spent on your own layout!

I've always found that if individuals want to be your friend and also accept you as theirs they will do so without making a lot of unnecessary demands on you. These guys are showing you their True Colors so head the hand writing on the wall and forget them! At least the ones that are causing the irritation. Probably there are others of the group that will still be a friend to you.

When individuals expect you to jump through hoops to meet their approval that's a sure tip off they feel very insecure around you and feel the need to control you to show their alleged superority when in fact it's usually to cover up their own inferiority feelings or lack of the knowledge you have.

What you related about what they are trying to do to you reminds me of the story of the guy who was feeling very depressed and called the hot line for help!

He said he was connected with someone in Pakistan,
and when he told them he felt very low and was considering killing himself,

They got all excited and asked if he could drive a truck?? LoL

Oh Yes, as was said above by all means keep your trains.
Hope this helps,
David

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the reasons I never join a train Club. You have workers, then you have Goof-Offs & then you have the guys that bitch about the work you do for them because if they had been there they could do it themselves.
All of the guys around here w/layouts & there's a bunch are always wanting me to start a Club & use my layout to run their trains. They won't come here & work the layout because I have asked them many times. So, I just stay to myself & run my own trains & accept visitors everyday that have their own layouts at home up north.

Find another club! These guys seem to have a 'It's our way or the highway!' mentality. It's nice that they have time enough away from work (do they work?) to attend the club business meetings. To expect you to take time off of work to make time for their meeting is BS. Meeting times can be changed, your work times can't and the last time I checked model railroad clubs don't pay your bills. If they can't make an exception for you or make you exempt from the business meeting in exchange for service repairing equipment and helping maintain the layout or change the time of the meeting then you don't need that club.

Terry Sounds like the Historical Society I belong to. Most of the people are really good folks to work with but there are also those who just want to have a desk with their name on a desk plate. These are the ones who never get their hands dirty but when something good happens make sure they get their photos taken and say what a good job I am doing. I have only been helping out since late Oct. and figgered out who dem folks was in about a week or two.

Good morning. It's 63° and cloudy with fog and a 20% chance of rain this morning. The high will be 75° with a 30% chance of rain for the afternoon and evening. Looks like it's going to be wet all the way through to Monday.

Got a doctors appointment in a couple of hours so I don't really have time for anything else this morning. There's been a lapse in security on the layout. The wolf spider has died. In time a suitable replacement may come along. Well, see y'all later.

P1011172.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back