Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was me. And it's a white Jeep Cherokee, not quite what it looks like there. ^^^

The wind as I passed must have fooled you, or even glazed your eyes over such that you imagined the illusion. But it was me.

My Jeep also sports stealth technology. Just sayin'.
I’ve never seen a Jeep that could pass anything AND a gas station at the same time.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Good Morning All. Seems to be clear and 56° here this morning. The forecast is calling for 90°+ Friday and Saturday. Rain still in the forecast beginning Tuesday until we get back home. Weather for Gulf Shores AL will be cooler than here, but it will still be in the pleasant range. Night time lows will be higher than here, daytime highs will be lower.

Another day spent on yardwork yesterday, as I tie up loose ends prior to vacation time. In between was two loads of laundry. Today is indoor chores and packing. Sorting out and preparing medications for travel takes some time!:(
Decided to skip the grocery trek today, as we have enough stuff for the next two days as well as when we get home. Most importantly, the beer fridge/stash is good.

While I did spend time out in the train shed yesterday, it was mostly running a few trains. I was going to do some more work on the fence around the fuel distributor, but I dislodged one of the railings that I attached last week. So I moved on so as not to be frustrated. It can wait until I get back. I don't think that trespassing will be an issue on the layout - most people don't move about much.
I did make some mud flaps for one of the trailers that I got from Mikey, using tar paper and short strips of styrene.
IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

I also took a few pictures that I will use in updating my layout thread. I hope to make one more post before departing.

Sherrel - As a further clarification to the "balls to the wall" driving conditions that I follow; after 43 years of commuting 50 miles each way to work, I am an advocate of getting from point "A" to point "B" in the least amount of time as safely possible. We always make stops along the way, but while on the road, I will never be in anyone's way. I tend to fudge the speed limits on the Interstates by 5-8 mph though. I have a copilot that lets me know if I am pushing that too far.:)
Mike - Thankfully the farmer who farms the acreage south of us, generally watches the wind before doing plowing/planting/spraying/harvesting in that field. The fellow who leased the land before him (over 15 years ago) didn't, and the cars, pool and everything else got a good dusting many times a year. I did have to report him once for herbicide drift, but it was already too late; trees lost some leaves but they survived. New guy doesn't use herbicides.
MikeInHubCity - Thanks for the additional BOTD persons. I normally just list persons that are of interest to me, but your listings may interest others here.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from a to be pleasant day in WIsconsin. We should hit 60 today and hopefully I get some time outside.

At least 6 crew are coming today to test the layout. I put all 83 cars in one train yesterday and ran it around the layout, even backwards. No issues with 2 diesels on the front and a DPU in the middle. One guy is bringing his auto rack train and another is bringing 2 stack trains. Plenty of action today on the layout. The average through train after testing is complete will be 30-36 cars. The sidings should be able to hold 40 cars but this will work.

First up though is to add 2 more power buss under the layout. One is for signaling and another is, just because! I purchased the wire a few weeks ago and I am still in sticker shock even though I got a deal from the electrician who wired the hous.

enjoy the day

Well howdy there internet peeps and those mad that people are comparing the US House to a Clown Show. How dare they insult clowns like that! ;) Seriously, even the creepy clowns are better. :cool:

It's Troy again.

Been working on my business entity while I wait on the latest book to get edited. I've set up an LLC, got my EIN #, set up the FB page and I'm about to set up the Facebook Ad Accounts. There are hoops to jump through to get verified. But, whatever.

I'm just beginning setting up a Shopify store to sell the ebooks (and eventually print books) direct to the client. I'll actually see 80%+ that way instead of the 60-70% I currently let from the big chain retailers.

Then I have to set up a landing page, and start testing ads and tweaking sales copy. OH JOY! I'd almost rather go serve in congress.... no, forget I said that. No way!

Off to do the facebook stuff. Back later.

Morning from the WEST! Reached 97f yesterday and supposed to be 96f today with sunny and breezy.
Just a note: the record high this date was 103f in 1999. (if anyone cares)

I woke up at TWO AM -- looked at the puter for a few min - turned on the TV for a few min ... got bored and turned everything off and managed to sleep another hour.
Spousal Unit has a severe head cold - Daughter went to the ER night before - My ailments have subsided, PTL.
Have to schedule a MRI today as Cscan showed a spot on my liver; goodie - something else!

SIL has a new puppy - It appears to be Border Collie, or some mixture ... sure is a cute little fellow!
I took Rosie out to see her for a hair cut and blow job ... BIL, John just completed his last Chemo treatment and felt like crap. I guess that Clinacal Trials will be next? (NOT looking good for him!)
Just another day at the old folks home!

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 38 degrees but we are supposed to get up into thenmid 70's later in the day.

Tood the girls to the dog park yesterday to run free without a leash. The section for the larger dogs is around 2 acres so there is plenty of room to explore. I was going to put a new brake cylinder on the pickup, but the part didn't arrive yesterday and could be the wrong part when it does arrive. if it is the wrong part, it's off to the dog park again. Don't see why there should ne a problem with the part unless the wrong part number was put in.

20220730_130211.jpg

Trucks like this are very common. I am keeping this old truck because my son wants it. He spent a lot of time learning to drive in it and wants to restore it with his son. The motor is great as I replaced the original with a new Goodwrench 4 bolt main 350 a few years back. Bought it new in '72.

Gotta go, LATER

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 38 degrees but we are supposed to get up into thenmid 70's later in the day.

Tood the girls to the dog park yesterday to run free without a leash. The section for the larger dogs is around 2 acres so there is plenty of room to explore. I was going to put a new brake cylinder on the pickup, but the part didn't arrive yesterday and could be the wrong part when it does arrive. if it is the wrong part, it's off to the dog park again. Don't see why there should ne a problem with the part unless the wrong part number was put in.

Trucks like this are very common. I am keeping this old truck because my son wants it. He spent a lot of time learning to drive in it and wants to restore it with his son. The motor is great as I replaced the original with a new Goodwrench 4 bolt main 350 a few years back. Bought it new in '72.

Gotta go, LATER
Thats a good-looking old truck!

Don't make them like that anymore!

Good morning from a to be pleasant day in WIsconsin. We should hit 60 today and hopefully I get some time outside.

At least 6 crew are coming today to test the layout. I put all 83 cars in one train yesterday and ran it around the layout, even backwards. No issues with 2 diesels on the front and a DPU in the middle. One guy is bringing his auto rack train and another is bringing 2 stack trains. Plenty of action today on the layout. The average through train after testing is complete will be 30-36 cars. The sidings should be able to hold 40 cars but this will work.

First up though is to add 2 more power buss under the layout. One is for signaling and another is, just because! I purchased the wire a few weeks ago and I am still in sticker shock even though I got a deal from the electrician who wired the hous.

enjoy the day

TomO are you doing a thread on this layout? Did I miss that somewhere?

TomO are you doing a thread on this layout? Did I miss that somewhere?
James, thanks for asking. There will not be a thread on the layout. I tried it on a different forum on the last layout and no thanks…

Putting together the weathering thread has proven to be an interesting endeavor and the layout would be worst. I don’t understand how the YouTube content providers do it. Especially guys like Boomer Diorama and the Seaboard Central and Dansrailroad2011 who provide new stuff weekly. Boomer says he spells as much time editing as he does on the layout.

Once scenery starts (hopefully by Easter 2024) I will put up the occasional pictures here. Meanwhile any pictures when I start posting them will appear 1st on my FB.

The backgrounds on my weathering pictures are from the 3 modules I did not pull apart from the old layout. They are now above my workbenches in the shop

View attachment 175571

Gotta go, LATER
GM was kind of bad about that in years past. If they were about to change lines for a different model year, they sometimes would put on a part for an older or newer model to get the vehicle through the line. And of course they wouldn’t document it anywhere. I usually run into that with larger trucks, over 1 ton, but if it was something one-off, like disc brake-equipped 3/4 tons, it happened, too.

James, thanks for asking. There will not be a thread on the layout. I tried it on a different forum on the last layout and no thanks…

Putting together the weathering thread has proven to be an interesting endeavor and the layout would be worst. I don’t understand how the YouTube content providers do it. Especially guys like Boomer Diorama and the Seaboard Central and Dansrailroad2011 who provide new stuff weekly. Boomer says he spells as much time editing as he does on the layout.

Once scenery starts (hopefully by Easter 2024) I will put up the occasional pictures here. Meanwhile any pictures when I start posting them will appear 1st on my FB.

The backgrounds on my weathering pictures are from the 3 modules I did not pull apart from the old layout. They are now above my workbenches in the shop

TomO,

I was wondering. It is time consuming without a doubt. As you know I have a 2 YouTube channels one for my boat/fishing etc and the other of my layout. Although I do not earn any monetary value etc. I just go at my pace and post whenever it suits me or rather when time allows me to do so. Even here I have not posted on my layout thread in a while but intend to this fall but so many other things take priority or life in general. Maybe if I ever retire I may do so more frequently I dunno. I just do me. Anyhow thanks for the response.

GM was kind of bad about that in years past. If they were about to change lines for a different model year, they sometimes would put on a part for an older or newer model to get the vehicle through the line. And of course they wouldn’t document it anywhere. I usually run into that with larger trucks, over 1 ton, but if it was something one-off, like disc brake-equipped 3/4 tons, it happened, too.
i usually have no problem at all getting parts for this old truck. Put a new starter in a couple of weeks ago and it only took a day to get the a starter from Napa. In fact Napa beat the price on some of the discount internet sites when the radiator needed replacing a few years ago. Granted, it was aluminum instead of brass, but I would imagine that all replacements would be aluminum. Getting close to 300,000 miles on it. It does have disc front and drum rear and a cylinder for the rear shouldn't be a problem.
20230321_154721.jpg

One problem I do have is not having a shop or a place to work on vehicles. I store it here where I live, squeezing it up close to the building. I rarely drive it but start it every few weeks and let it run until it gets up to operating temps. it did come in handy as a storage shed not having to rent a storage unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back