Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out late today sleeping in until almost 8 am. After getting going I did some inside and outsides chores. I discovered the wood strips from NESL were too small. :( I did some rummaging and found the right size and cut 6 legs, 2 beams, and the side bracing. After that I ordered a Russet color stain from Hunterline to stain them. I like the reddish-brown color of the original. After that MOH decided that I needed to chauffer her to 3 grocery stores including Wally World. Ugh.

Joe- Where west of Charleston? We lived in Summerville when we were stationed there.

Smudge- That looks very nice but expensive. Nice video with great looking scenery.

Karl- Congrats on winning the rifle and train auctions.

Patrick- Nice job on the cabinet.

Bill- Welcome and nice photo.

Willie- Nice scenes. Safe travels.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. Clear and 50°, heading up to 83° later on. 75° yesterday was rather pleasant. Mid to upper 80's for another week before possible rain next Tuesday. I will miss our weather as we're going to Gulf Shores AL beginning Saturday. Sadly, their weather is not forecast to be as warm as ours home here. We don't normally go this late in the season, but all of the housemates couldn't get it together for any other time.

Spent time yesterday mowing, again. And I started preparing for the trip. I still think that it will be shorts and tee shirt weather there despite it not being as warm as I would like it to be. Still going to pack a single pair of jeans. The first leg of the trip will be the longest. We'll stop in Lafayette LA for lunch before proceeding east on IH10/IH12 to Gulfport MS. Sunday we'll be going to the Mississippi Gulf Coast Model Railroad Museum there in Gulfport. They opened a new place this past June and they are now called Traintastic. We stop there every time we make the trip on the southern route. The northern route using IH20, takes us to model railroad museums in both Vicksburg MS and Jackson MS. On the return trip, we''ll be headed to Texas City, near Houston, to visit their model railroad at the Texas City Museum.

More trip prep today, mainly packing every thing except food and medications, tomorrow is the last grocery run for any last minute items, and it may not happen at all.

Not much to report from out in the train shed yesterday. I did get the back of the burned townhouse finished and the Dahlias planted next door.
View attachment 175519
View attachment 175520
Winding down activity out there for now. The next three days will offer very little time which I will mostly run trains since I'll be gone for 8 days.

Joe - Rather shady business with the property salesperson there. You made the right decision to walk away.
Karl - Nice looking Bingo prize.

Renown but sometimes controversial rocker Chuck Berry would have been 96 today, famous footballer Mike Ditka is 84.

Everyone have a wonderful day.
If you are going to Houston, not far down the road is the Railroad Museum in Galveston Texas. Also the three masted sailing ship Elissa is in Galveston area.

If you are going to Houston, not far down the road is the Railroad Museum in Galveston Texas. Also the three masted sailing ship Elissa is in Galveston area.
I know all about the museum in Galveston, but we're reserving it for the next trip. We'd like to get home before sunset which is why we're not going to both places on the day that we're there. It was a coin flip that decided which one came on this trip. Traffic in both Houston and Dallas could pose problems as it is. It's a six hour trip after lunch from Texas City to home.

I know all about the museum in Galveston, but we're reserving it for the next trip. We'd like to get home before sunset which is why we're not going to both places on the day that we're there. It was a coin flip that decided which one came on this trip. Traffic in both Houston and Dallas could pose problems as it is. It's a six hour trip after lunch from Texas City to home.
WILLIE - I'll never understand your 'balls to the wall" driving trips. There are motels along the way and the ranch isn't going to fall down with another day added on, besides you and Arlene are both retired now!

WILLIE - I'll never understand your 'balls to the wall" driving trips. There are motels along the way and the ranch isn't going to fall down with another day added on, besides you and Arlene are both retired now!
Ever heard of "There's no place like home"? Overall it's over 13 hours drive-time, the first leg from Gulf Shores to Texas City is an 8 hour drive with an extra hour for lunch probably in Lafayette LA. Then a visit to the museum the next day which opens at 10, then lunch there or maybe in Houston and another 5 hours to home. Driving through Houston and/or Dallas is no picnic, even on Saturday although Dallas isn't normally too bad. There are no places to stop between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and no places between Lafayette and Beaumont, where there are nothing but oil refineries. So even if I stopped, I'd probably have to stay at a Motel 6! I would prefer going through Shreveport, which splits the trip into two 5 hour drives; when younger, we'd make that trip in one day, but no longer. We're taking this route this time to vary the trip somewhat. It's 8 days away from my layout, which is actually more than I can stand!!!
Besides, after a week with our housemates, I will be going batshit crazy.:eek: Six Republicans and one Democrat who never stops talking!

My poor attempt at steel blue. Adding some light rust made it somewhat better but not real happy with it.
IMG_6282.jpg
IMG_6283.jpg

Good Morning All. Clear and 50°, heading up to 83° later on. 75° yesterday was rather pleasant. Mid to upper 80's for another week before possible rain next Tuesday. I will miss our weather as we're going to Gulf Shores AL beginning Saturday. Sadly, their weather is not forecast to be as warm as ours home here. We don't normally go this late in the season, but all of the housemates couldn't get it together for any other time.

Spent time yesterday mowing, again. And I started preparing for the trip. I still think that it will be shorts and tee shirt weather there despite it not being as warm as I would like it to be. Still going to pack a single pair of jeans. The first leg of the trip will be the longest. We'll stop in Lafayette LA for lunch before proceeding east on IH10/IH12 to Gulfport MS. Sunday we'll be going to the Mississippi Gulf Coast Model Railroad Museum there in Gulfport. They opened a new place this past June and they are now called Traintastic. We stop there every time we make the trip on the southern route. The northern route using IH20, takes us to model railroad museums in both Vicksburg MS and Jackson MS. On the return trip, we''ll be headed to Texas City, near Houston, to visit their model railroad at the Texas City Museum.

More trip prep today, mainly packing every thing except food and medications, tomorrow is the last grocery run for any last minute items, and it may not happen at all.

Not much to report from out in the train shed yesterday. I did get the back of the burned townhouse finished and the Dahlias planted next door.
View attachment 175519
View attachment 175520
Winding down activity out there for now. The next three days will offer very little time which I will mostly run trains since I'll be gone for 8 days.

Joe - Rather shady business with the property salesperson there. You made the right decision to walk away.
Karl - Nice looking Bingo prize.

Renown but sometimes controversial rocker Chuck Berry would have been 96 today, famous footballer Mike Ditka is 84.

Everyone have a wonderful day.
Willie- other famous BOTD(not necessarily in sequence) include college football broadcaster Keith Jackson(“you got big uglies, FUUMMBULL & ‘wish, Nellie’ “) 1928-2018, George C. Scott 1927-99, Forrest Gregg, RT from the Lombardi era Packers & the SMU head coach coming back from the “frequent violator” aka “death penalty” 1933, Pam Dawber(Mark & Mindy) 1951, Martina Navratilova 1956, JC Van Damme 1960, skiier Lindsey Vonn 1984

Good evening gang!

Little Miss Layla is resting comfortably with the wife after her spay ordeal today. I'm glad we left early. I had forgotten how much of a pain in the derrière Baltimore to D.C. traffic can be. The pre-paid spay location was in Laurel, right off Rt 95 so 8 a.m. traffic is a real cluster! We left at 7:15 for an 8:30 appointment and didn't arrive until 8:40. The Nav system in the truck initially predicted an arrival time of 8:15. In any case we dropped her off then, the went to the Double T Diner on RT 1 for breakfast. Afterward we spent time at Harbor Freight, Home Goods and Burlington coat factory before heading back to wait for a phone call. Shortly after we pulled on the Vet place's parking lot the called and announced she was done. We gathered her up with her paperwork and meds and headed home. This time it only took an hour to get home. The rest of the day was spent just chilling with the pup.

Tomorrow, 8 a.m. endo appointment, then HD, then a little yard cleanup , then PLAYTIME!!

Willie, I can relate to your "balls to the wall" driving style. Son #1 several years ago went to live with a friend and his wife, after several months the friend and his wife separated and his friend was being a real jerk to him. He calls me wanting to come home so I did what any Dad would do. I rented a minivan and his stepmom and I drove out to get him. We are on the east coast, he was 5 miles west of Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. Day 1, drove to east St Louis. Day 2 drove to Son#1, loaded him and all his stuff up in the van and drove back to Huntington WV. Spent the night, left before dawn and still had the rental back before noon.
Batman .jpg

I'm not saying I drive fast, but this was the only guy who passed me!

BBL

Good evening gang!

Little Miss Layla is resting comfortably with the wife after her spay ordeal today. I'm glad we left early. I had forgotten how much of a pain in the derrière Baltimore to D.C. traffic can be. The pre-paid spay location was in Laurel, right off Rt 95 so 8 a.m. traffic is a real cluster! We left at 7:15 for an 8:30 appointment and didn't arrive until 8:40. The Nav system in the truck initially predicted an arrival time of 8:15. In any case we dropped her off then, the went to the Double T Diner on RT 1 for breakfast. Afterward we spent time at Harbor Freight, Home Goods and Burlington coat factory before heading back to wait for a phone call. Shortly after we pulled on the Vet place's parking lot the called and announced she was done. We gathered her up with her paperwork and meds and headed home. This time it only took an hour to get home. The rest of the day was spent just chilling with the pup.

Tomorrow, 8 a.m. endo appointment, then HD, then a little yard cleanup , then PLAYTIME!!

Willie, I can relate to your "balls to the wall" driving style. Son #1 several years ago went to live with a friend and his wife, after several months the friend and his wife separated and his friend was being a real jerk to him. He calls me wanting to come home so I did what any Dad would do. I rented a minivan and his stepmom and I drove out to get him. We are on the east coast, he was 5 miles west of Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. Day 1, drove to east St Louis. Day 2 drove to Son#1, loaded him and all his stuff up in the van and drove back to Huntington WV. Spent the night, left before dawn and still had the rental back before noon.
View attachment 175565

BBL
Very familiar with Laurel. My niece lives there with her hubby & son(who don’t know how to slow his growing). She’s a teacher with Howard County, as a county-wide consultant. Her parents live “out west”, in the mountains south of Cumberland(only Garrett County is west of them).

Good evening gang!

View attachment 175565

BBL
That was me. And it's a white Jeep Cherokee, not quite what it looks like there. ^^^

The wind as I passed must have fooled you, or even glazed your eyes over such that you imagined the illusion. But it was me.

My Jeep also sports stealth technology. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back