Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Walthers #6 code 70 switches arrived today. Not opened yet, I plan on using them for a crossover. Resemble the old Shinohara switches, these have a point rail that runs to the frog, rather than the heel block. (like modern switches).
Nice looking turnouts.

Do these have the improved spring throw bar, Similar to Peco?

I am looking at the code 83 turnouts for my intermodal yard.

And on that note, I went for my annual eye exam a month ago (still waiting for my new glasses?), and the eye doctor nonchalantly told me my cataracts weren’t that much worse than last year.
My what?
When was somebody planning to tell me about this?
Welcome to the club.

My optometrist said I had them, as does everyone of our age. Whether they progress to the troublesome level is the question.

Update about the YaMoRC command station. Taken from the "DCC Automation" Facebook page (they are a UK based dealer)

----
Updates from YaMoRC about products and delivering times.
Hello dear YaMoRC customers.
Here is a status report on delivery delays, and the YD7100 in particular.
As already written on our website, due to the withdrawal of a DC-DC converter chip, we are unable to produce a number of products.
The affected products are: YD7100, YD7101, YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912.... The pre-order has already gone quite well for "YD7100 + 7101 Set", and to prevent disappointment we have worked out an interim solution in consultation with our distributors.
We have good contacts with the Far-East producers of the bankrupt Digikeijs and we were offered some remaining stocks of products that were ordered by Digikeijs, but never paid for, and after the bankruptcy of Digikeijs, they contacted us and offered us these products.
Among these products there is a limited number of DR5000 PCBs. This makes it possible to offer a DR5000-based central called YD7001-E as a replacement for the pre-ordered "YD7100 + 7101 set".
You can read the E as "expanded". The YD7001-E has already had the YD9401 upgrade, has YaMoRC green LED, fixed some weaknesses in the area of power measurement and the YD7001-E will measure not only the track current but also the track voltage, and also the input voltage from the power supply.
For information on this offer, please contact your dealer.
Exactly the same goes for our turntable controller YD7652. There is also a similar offer for this because we also bought DR5052 that had been produced but not paid for by Digikeijs. We also need make some quality changes to these units before we are able to sell them as YaMoRC products.
And onto what and how the future is going...
1. Since the command station needs to undergo a redesign. We are about to hit the road on this and instead of making a "small + expansion", we are about a complete the YD7100 + YD7101 into the same, larger, housing being used for the YD7001-E. Attached are the pictures of the new YD7110 We will come out with a release date later this year. The current rough estimate suggests the end of April 2024.
2. Because of the YD7110, the extension YD7101 will be cancelled.
3. The "small" YD7100 could possibly be released at the end of 2024, if there is sufficient demand.
4. YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912.... Well, because of your enormous demand for our products (Many, many THANKS for that ) we have been a little cramped in terms of development, and because development is very, very important to stand well in the future, we will temporarily stop the production and distribution of the YD9401 until the beginning of December. We are truly sorry because we know how many there are still to deliver, but in order to stay healthy within company and staff this is an unpopular but very necessary measure
5. Our booster YD7403 will be produced soon – hopefully in the 1st or 2nd week of December at your dealer.
A long post, and not always with pleasant news, but we believe this is the best way for as many people as possible – and importantly we will keep our company healthy
Your YaMoRC Team!

----

Good morning!
1937-NICKELPLATEROADMAP.jpg

Good evening gang!

Had a little excitement today. To start off with, son #4 called from college. He can't get in the truck. He said he pushed the button on the fob, and it won't unlock. Sharon asked if he tried the key, he said the what? Ahh yes, this younger generation has no concept of keys in doors. After a brief explanation he gets into the truck, but it won't start. He parked it in a loading zone with his flashers on last night to unload some stuff, and after running all night the battery died. Thankfully campus security gave him a jump start so after his last class he came home for the weekend.

DR. appointment went well, A1C under 7, cholesterol and BP were right where the Doc wants them, see ya in 4 month.

Picked up all my auction goodies and went through the lots today. One of my favorite lots is what a lot of people call junk lots. For $7.50 bid the "junk" consisted of 7 can motors, some in the original NWSL packaging, several packs of KD couplers, new wiring, new 1/16 shrink wrap, lots of brass steam loco detail parts, motor mounts for brass engines, a lifetime supply of those itty bitty screws that are so popular on brass engines. I really think the original owner of this box did a good bit of brass repair or rebuilding. I still have a lot to put away yet. I also scored a lot of 3 lamp signals and a signal bridge. Also a few locos and cars that only need minor stuff to make them whole again.

Boris, I believe Walthers did purchase the initial tooling from Shinohara. My 20+ year old Shinohara's and my new Walthers switches are virtual twins, except the new ones are DCC friendly right out of the box.

Morning all,

Not much going on yet and hope for a quirt day (outside of the noise the contractors are making during the lobby renovation).

2.5 hours left in my day...got tons of crap to get done this weekend. I have some siding to redo around the outside of the house and I still have to finish the kitchen base molding. I need to remove the broken attic ladder at the boy's house and install a removeable opening. That will take longer than it should, but once again, it's been on my plate a while. It just got too darn hot to want to work in the garage.

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° in North Central Texas, expecting 91° later today.

The vacation prep continued yesterday, and will continue again today. Actually loaded a few things in to the car and packed my travel bag. Supper last night was a real mash-up as we clear the fridge of most perishables. Tonight, I will pull a meal-sized Ziploc of pulled pork out of the freezer to make it easy. A handful of frozen onion rings and the last raspberries should complete the meal.

Another short day in the train shed yesterday, but productive. I decided that I needed a little action in the small scene behind the burned townhouse. I started by painting some Evergreen Styrene 2"x4"'s.
IMG_0623.JPG

Then I did some minor surgery on a figure from the box. Before.
IMG_0624.JPG

Here is the finished scene.
IMG_0626.JPG

Tom O - I hear you loud and clear on the layout build thread. I chose not to do one originally because of the time involved in picture taking, writing up and editing. At the time I was also still working at a real world job. The thread that I am doing now is easier both because I am retired and because I have 1000's of pictures to pick and choose from. Most of those pictures are now organized into folders as well. The daily Coffee Shop updates are also easy, as there is no pressure to get things done; if I choose to not do anything, so be it.
I am envious of you in having a ready crew to assist in building and testing the layout. My feedback comes from fellow forum members who only see pictures.
David - I had to look up Rowland Emett, since his name seemed familiar but I couldn't recall from where. Interesting character.
Chet - Not having a shop for vehicle work must be a real drag for you. It means putting up all tools at the end of the work session instead of leaving them out for the next day.
Mike -
Didn't someone in here one time mention they come in 3s?
My wife always says that bad things come in 3's. But according to the FRA, there is an average of three reported train derailments every day. Most aren't as serious as this one, and probably many more occur in yards or remote industrial sidings that never get reported.

Today is Mickie Mantles birthday as well as Tom Petty, both have left us. It's also Kamela Harris's 59th, - just a heartbeat away!

I don't know whether or not I'll be in tomorrow morning, probably leaving around 0700. So everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Nice looking turnouts.

Do these have the improved spring throw bar, Similar to Peco?

I am looking at the code 83 turnouts for my intermodal yard.
Mike, I haven't opened them yet, so I really don't know. According to write ups, they do. What I really like is the absence of a heel block (rail joint). That in itself eliminates problems. I primarily use Micro Engineering switches, so I'm not up to speed on PECO.

Update about the YaMoRC command station. Taken from the "DCC Automation" Facebook page (they are a UK based dealer)

----
Updates from YaMoRC about products and delivering times.
Hello dear YaMoRC customers.
Here is a status report on delivery delays, and the YD7100 in particular.
As already written on our website, due to the withdrawal of a DC-DC converter chip, we are unable to produce a number of products.
The affected products are: YD7100, YD7101, YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912.... The pre-order has already gone quite well for "YD7100 + 7101 Set", and to prevent disappointment we have worked out an interim solution in consultation with our distributors.
We have good contacts with the Far-East producers of the bankrupt Digikeijs and we were offered some remaining stocks of products that were ordered by Digikeijs, but never paid for, and after the bankruptcy of Digikeijs, they contacted us and offered us these products.
Among these products there is a limited number of DR5000 PCBs. This makes it possible to offer a DR5000-based central called YD7001-E as a replacement for the pre-ordered "YD7100 + 7101 set".
You can read the E as "expanded". The YD7001-E has already had the YD9401 upgrade, has YaMoRC green LED, fixed some weaknesses in the area of power measurement and the YD7001-E will measure not only the track current but also the track voltage, and also the input voltage from the power supply.
For information on this offer, please contact your dealer.
Exactly the same goes for our turntable controller YD7652. There is also a similar offer for this because we also bought DR5052 that had been produced but not paid for by Digikeijs. We also need make some quality changes to these units before we are able to sell them as YaMoRC products.
And onto what and how the future is going...
1. Since the command station needs to undergo a redesign. We are about to hit the road on this and instead of making a "small + expansion", we are about a complete the YD7100 + YD7101 into the same, larger, housing being used for the YD7001-E. Attached are the pictures of the new YD7110 We will come out with a release date later this year. The current rough estimate suggests the end of April 2024.
2. Because of the YD7110, the extension YD7101 will be cancelled.
3. The "small" YD7100 could possibly be released at the end of 2024, if there is sufficient demand.
4. YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912.... Well, because of your enormous demand for our products (Many, many THANKS for that ) we have been a little cramped in terms of development, and because development is very, very important to stand well in the future, we will temporarily stop the production and distribution of the YD9401 until the beginning of December. We are truly sorry because we know how many there are still to deliver, but in order to stay healthy within company and staff this is an unpopular but very necessary measure
5. Our booster YD7403 will be produced soon – hopefully in the 1st or 2nd week of December at your dealer.
A long post, and not always with pleasant news, but we believe this is the best way for as many people as possible – and importantly we will keep our company healthy
Your YaMoRC Team!

----
I see I got an email from them in the Inbox. Thanks Chad!

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° in North Central Texas, expecting 91° later today.

The vacation prep continued yesterday, and will continue again today. Actually loaded a few things in to the car and packed my travel bag. Supper last night was a real mash-up as we clear the fridge of most perishables. Tonight, I will pull a meal-sized Ziploc of pulled pork out of the freezer to make it easy. A handful of frozen onion rings and the last raspberries should complete the meal.

Another short day in the train shed yesterday, but productive. I decided that I needed a little action in the small scene behind the burned townhouse. I started by painting some Evergreen Styrene 2"x4"'s.
View attachment 175636
Then I did some minor surgery on a figure from the box. Before.
View attachment 175637
Here is the finished scene.
View attachment 175638

Tom O - I hear you loud and clear on the layout build thread. I chose not to do one originally because of the time involved in picture taking, writing up and editing. At the time I was also still working at a real world job. The thread that I am doing now is easier both because I am retired and because I have 1000's of pictures to pick and choose from. Most of those pictures are now organized into folders as well. The daily Coffee Shop updates are also easy, as there is no pressure to get things done; if I choose to not do anything, so be it.
I am envious of you in having a ready crew to assist in building and testing the layout. My feedback comes from fellow forum members who only see pictures.
David - I had to look up Rowland Emett, since his name seemed familiar but I couldn't recall from where. Interesting character.
Chet - Not having a shop for vehicle work must be a real drag for you. It means putting up all tools at the end of the work session instead of leaving them out for the next day.
Mike -

My wife always says that bad things come in 3's. But according to the FRA, there is an average of three reported train derailments every day. Most aren't as serious as this one, and probably many more occur in yards or remote industrial sidings that never get reported.

Today is Mickie Mantles birthday as well as Tom Petty, both have left us. It's also Kamela Harris's 59th, - just a heartbeat away!

I don't know whether or not I'll be in tomorrow morning, probably leaving around 0700. So everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.
Safe travels if you are not here Saturday. I knew you would understand about not doing a layout thread.

TomO

Boris, I believe Walthers did purchase the initial tooling from Shinohara. My 20+ year old Shinohara's and my new Walthers switches are virtual twins, except the new ones are DCC friendly right out of the box.
I have a few #4s and a #6 wye. in my stash, they were replaced by ME's #5s. Work fine in the confines of urban industry. I thought I would try out a pair of #6s when they came out with the Code 70 line. Only thing missing from when it was distributed by Lambert are the #5s. Amazing how useful that frog size is. Pretty much handles everything a #6 does,with a smaller footprint.

Good morning, 62°, cloudy with passing downpours. So far, ¼" of rain has fallen. Little temperature change is forecast for today.

SA-31, made its final run down the NJ Coast Line from South Amboy to Red Bank and return, yesterday. The Delaware & Raritan will begin running directly from Jamesburg to Lakewood next week. The SA - 31, may return to NJT Rails in December when the D&R begins replacement of the bridge over Lake Manalapan which is Just East of Jamesburg, NJ.

Conrail proposed this change, way back in the 1990s, while L. Stanley Crane was CEO, but the idea retired with LSC. Twenty-three years later, someone else decides it's a great idea, and spends a few bucks. Took less than a year to implement it.

1697810522368.jpeg

Last SA-31 Westbound over Navesink River between Middletown and red Bank, NJ on 10/19/2023. Marc Pitanza photo.

Firefighter L.L.O.D. in Baltimore:

A little while back my younger granddaughter wanted lights on the layout.

''Turn the room light out, Papa''.

IMG_5855 by David Harrison, on Flickr

IMG_5856 by David Harrison, on Flickr
Awesome scene...you might want to check out one of those old London buildings though. I heard Londoners are digging under their appartments to increase the size of basement, with dissastrous results😉 That second one from the camera view is a little out of plumb.

Good morning crew. It was a rough sleep night for me! Not feeling the best I headed to bed 45 minutes earlier than the normal 11:45. Son texted at 11:40 waking me. His truck was broken into. He said his phone went off as he was ordering a burger in downtown Austin. Ran out to his truck with the bouncer right behind him. Truck is flashing lights but nothing externally broken. But, the inside is tossed but they did find his emergency cash in the console. I respond, too bad and then he calls me! We talk.

It’s now 12:30 and I fall back to sleep, then he texts again as he is home. Went online and checked the truck log. HE forgot to lock the doors according to the log. Someone must have jiggled the door handle and found it open. Now I’m tossing and turning and at 3 get up, go grab a sip of soda and sleep till 5. There will be I predict a nap this afternoon.

Hockey on campus at 7 and Terry is asking where is dinner tonight.

A TCS command station was added to the layout at 8 this morning. It just screwed into the control station spot we had the NCE system in. Connected the wires from the circuit breakers to the Command Station and everything worked. The owner installed it and we ran 1 train over the layout with no issue. I have the unit till Tuesday when I will take it back to him. Then he left about 8:35 as he’s heading to an opt session.

I am heading to the pool and the exercise torture chamber. The new equipment is set up but not anchored permanently. The PT came as usual on Wednesday and took me through how to use the bike and workout stations. She looked at the treadmill and said start at 3 miles an hour and increase it to 5 mph 30 minutes. After 4 miles an hour I am not walking I am running, I hate running. She also told me Terry wants a stair climber. My reply that she can use the stairways to my trains on the lower level didn‘t go over very well.

enjoy the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back