Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golf is a great walk made better by having fun playing!

I have caddied for quite a few old ”name” players while in high school. I graduated in 1970. Palmer( super nice) Nicholas (jackass) Trevino ( outrageously funny) Watson ( just cool and not that much older then me), Archer (another jackass) Olive Moody (a true pice of sh..) Casper ( strange) and a few others for practice rounds before the 2 Western Opens held at Midlothian CC in Illinois in 1969 and 1973. I caddied for an unknown in the 69 tournament, Ron Cerrudo who finish 4th and tried to stiff me. The caddy master at the club and a few western Open officials handled that. Got 50 a day and 250 tip. In 73 I was able to caddy practice rounds during the week when pros showed up but not the tournament as I was working for the Club pro running the Bag Room.

My son played in a rock band at a music school a couple semesters with Johnny Miller's grand daughter. Does that count? (I am pretty sure that is the relationship).

Today the framers started putting up the walls that they can in the bonus space. That room you see the walls for in the middle is the train room. The foam was also completed on the back wall, to complement the front, which I've already showed pictures of. Still have to finish putting in the extra foam sheets in the final layers of foam, vertical steel (rebar) every 16", as well as one window lintel (I did the other 3 today). And while they did a lot today (no pics), there is still a bunch of windows to put strapping/bracing around the frames to hold them in the foam, as well as corners, seams, etc to brace, and the joists on the external walls to finish putting up to hold the walls straight. They are hoping to be ready for the final pour of concrete this Monday. A week to set and they can put the ridge beam in and other stuff and get the rough roof up. They can actually start some of the non load bearing stuff after a few days of the pour (attaching sills etc).

IMG_2727.jpeg
IMG_2729.jpeg

A friend is letting his layout go :( after being messed about twice/3 times we plan on taking it piece meal and resurrecting it,it is a fantastic piece of modelling on a real station and he paid a modeller for two major features that can easily pass for the real thing, 18footx2 foot twice this can luckily go in our 2nd loft, like us it is not moveable in sections.
I plan to take boxes,and a marker pen and number a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3 and do crosses on the back 3 on each join to help realign the pieces afterwards,we have a good month before this occurs,we get track and pints but they rest on and are not fixed,his build was much followed and their is plenty. Of video but I will hit it for more to try to help the rebuild.

if anyone has any clever or even not so clever ideas or experiences pls give me your thoughts to aid the process, we will do a reccie run to see if it will go in car or need a trailer or need a van, he has visited us previously and will be welcome to visit whenever.

I have opened a 00 Dover Priory rescue thread for ideas 💡:)
Today the framers started putting up the walls that they can in the bonus space. That room you see the walls for in the middle is the train room. The foam was also completed on the back wall, to complement the front, which I've already showed pictures of. Still have to finish putting in the extra foam sheets in the final layers of foam, vertical steel (rebar) every 16", as well as one window lintel (I did the other 3 today). And while they did a lot today (no pics), there is still a bunch of windows to put strapping/bracing around the frames to hold them in the foam, as well as corners, seams, etc to brace, and the joists on the external walls to finish putting up to hold the walls straight. They are hoping to be ready for the final pour of concrete this Monday. A week to set and they can put the ridge beam in and other stuff and get the rough roof up. They can actually start some of the non load bearing stuff after a few days of the pour (attaching sills etc).

View attachment 168077View attachment 168078
wow you really moved on

Golfers, don't forget about Fuzzy Z. He has roots here in Indiana.

As does E Jean Carroll (she graduated from a Ft Wayne area High School) well before my time. She's not a golfer, but in the news for other reasons. I'm just amazed at how current events filter back to our own hometowns.

Back to the drama from yesterday... MIL has an abscessed cracked tooth that needs a root canal. But first, antibiotics. She's got a week to decide if she wants a root canal or just pull the tooth. At 88 years old, not sure which she'll pick.

I'm debating on picking up a cheap "contractors" table saw. I see the need to rip hardboard for fascia in my future. And, it's the type of tool you seldom use, but are happy to have it when you need it.

For those asking about the height of the layout... Here are some pics of the first backdrop piece installed and my reach. Note that I'm in slippers, not my thick Hoka shoes. So once I add a layer of foam to the top deck I might lose an inch of reach.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 5.26.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 5.27.53 AM.png

Morning from home,

66° and cloudy yet this morning. Rain overnight brough the total to 6/10th of an inch. every little bit helps. Supposed to get to 84° later.

Chinese fortune cookie over the weekend said to expect a windfall soon...I'm still waiting. Dentist is getting a windfall from me this month, between the root canal and 2 crowns in the past 6 weeks. Where's mine?

Row of green beans I planted are up. Looks like almost every seed is growing. Middle to the end of next week I'll put in another row. Garden space is 9' x 9' so not a ton of space. Got the bush type cucumbers yesterday and will plant those tonight or tomorrow. I really hate the buffalo grass sending it's shoots into the space. It's a lot like bermuda grass, growing best where it's not wanted. I can hardly keep ahead of it.

BBL

View attachment 168077View attachment 168078
Nice space

Good morning gang, and happy hump day to one and all!! 🐪🐫🐪🐫🐪🐫

Currently it's 54° under sunny skies, heading to 75°. 😊

My Colorado reported a tire pressure drop on the way to work this morning, sure enough there is a nail or screw in the L.F. tire. Good thing I work where I do, it will be fixed by lunch.

BBL

Good morning from a beautiful start to a WIsconsin day.

Finally found 2 black Walthers Proto sulfur cars at decent prices from weathering artist Dan Arnold. Paid at 11pm last night he will ship them new and unweathered today.

Then at 2AM one of my weathering clients texted and said he found 5 at great prices and will give me 2 and send the other 3 to be weathered. I knew eventually I‘d fine some I just didn’t figure it would happen so quickly. I replied yes this morning to him. Those EBay prices I was watching were getting tempting, so glad I fought the urge

I have a dental appointment at 10. They texted that remember “we moved”. No I didn’t remember.

enjoy the day

Good morning gang, and happy hump day to one and all!! 🐪🐫🐪🐫🐪🐫

Currently it's 54° under sunny skies, heading to 75°. 😊

My Colorado reported a tire pressure drop on the way to work this morning, sure enough there is a nail or screw in the L.F. tire. Good thing I work where I do, it will be fixed by lunch.

BBL
At least they got smarter with the 2nd Gen Colorados. Mine says low tire only when the weather is poor (rain or snow blown by 40+ mph winds). Then you gotta check them all and it's always the last one you check. How'd I piss Murphy off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back