Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
97F50FFC-A8A2-45BE-A96C-B521810AE6EA.jpeg

Golfers, don't forget about Fuzzy Z. He has roots here in Indiana.

As does E Jean Carroll (she graduated from a Ft Wayne area High School) well before my time. She's not a golfer, but in the news for other reasons. I'm just amazed at how current events filter back to our own hometowns.

Back to the drama from yesterday... MIL has an abscessed cracked tooth that needs a root canal. But first, antibiotics. She's got a week to decide if she wants a root canal or just pull the tooth. At 88 years old, not sure which she'll pick.

I'm debating on picking up a cheap "contractors" table saw. I see the need to rip hardboard for fascia in my future. And, it's the type of tool you seldom use, but are happy to have it when you need it.

For those asking about the height of the layout... Here are some pics of the first backdrop piece installed and my reach. Note that I'm in slippers, not my thick Hoka shoes. So once I add a layer of foam to the top deck I might lose an inch of reach.

View attachment 168090

View attachment 168091
Troy What's with that Wabash RR I bought a hugh box of stuff one time had engines rolling stock buildings
and these There's a fold out map somewhere I need to hire a girl friday to organize for me :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_0565.JPG
    DSC_0565.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0568.JPG
    DSC_0568.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 36
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 68°. Today is not expected to warm up much, only getting to 77°. Clouds will increase and there is widely scattered rain moving slowly up from the Gulf that has reached the southern DFW area already. Very rare that it comes from that direction. Rain is in the forecast for the next 7 days.

Another day, another doctor appointment after lunch. Wife should return late this afternoon unless it's raining and then she'll stay at daughter's home in Dallas overnight. Of course since it might be raining, I am expecting a big box from UPS with a Mother's Day gift for my wife. It's a raised planter box 60" x 16" x 18", that will need assembly. She just doesn't have any luck fighting the invasive Bermuda grass for her flowers. That means an extra stop somewhere in town for a lot of potting soil today.

I did finish off all of the yard mowing yesterday, so that's out of the way for now. With the new garden tractor it takes four hours total time to do everything, nearly the same as the old one, even though the cutting deck is 6" more narrow.. It goes faster and is more maneuverable. Did the laundry in advance of my wife's return since she'll have a full load herself.

Short day out in the train shed yesterday, and expecting another short visit today. I'm taking a short break from sorting out the forest.and touched up some figures.
IMG_3448.JPG

Some of these were from Chet, some from me, some are Chinese ones, some are ones that were close to finishing from my figure painting palette. The real colorful (gaudy) ones are from China! Above them on the workbench is some fencing that will be installed between the food trailer and the main line. Gotta keep people safe.
One of the items that I purchased from the LHS on Saturday was a Woodland Scenics track cleaning kit.
IMG_3446.JPG

I have had one of these for years, but I broke the wand.
IMG_3449.JPG

While it can still be used, it isn't always convenient. The cleaning pads, like soft erasers, are grooved to conform with the track. To use over switches, you turn them over and use the ungrooved side. The head is detachable so now instead of turning the pads over, I can just change the head.
IMG_3450.JPG

I can also use the soft pads with the cleaning fluid on one if I wish. Adds some versatility.

Guy - Stay safe. I read this morning that the fires were subsiding a bit.
Chad - You'll be laying track soon.

Golf - I gave up when I realized that if I traded my golf score for my bowling scores, I would do better at both! I met John Daly once in the mid-90's, at a restaurant. He and a whole party were pretty inebriated. I wasn't sure which one was going to drive the Winnebago out of the parking lot.
My only other real exposure was when the 1963 PGA championship was played at the Dallas Athletic Club, located four houses down from where I was living in Dallas at the time. Police had blocked off the neighborhood streets to all but local residents to prevent patrons from parking there

Everyone have a great day.

Speaking of the Wabash... (river). There used to be a really good restaurant called the "Dutch Mill" in Bluffton, Indiana.

When I was kid, attending Culver Military Academy, my parents would always stop for dinner on their way back home after visiting me at Culver.

It burned down probably 25+ years ago. They had the best homemade French salad dressing.

Troy found the missing piece it's a timetable and map from 1948
If you have any interest in this stuff I can send them
OH and the NJI&I was part of the Wabash RR I think anyway rode on the yard engine a few times just for fun It was a NW2

Troy found the missing piece it's a timetable and map from 1948
If you have any interest in this stuff I can send them
OH and the NJI&I was part of the Wabash RR I think anyway rode on the yard engine a few times just for fun It was a NW2
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not actually modeling that railroad. You should try to get a few bucks on ebay if you can for them.

Afternoon all,

Seems my town missed on on some additional storms overnight.

The closer I got to work after my appointment, I noticed some ponds running running over. Seems at about 4:00a this morning it rained nearly 2" south and west of where I live. I know at 4:30a it wasn't raining and storming where I was and the streets and sidewalks were dry. It has been dry enough though that mush of that rain did run. Still talking some more rain later.

I feel sorry for my supervisor. Seems the storm had knocked the internet off at the waste water plant, although everything else on the network was working correctly. He came in early, as I and the 2 techs were out. Spent almost 3 hours banging his head against the wall and couldn't correct it. Once I was on site, I had the issue resolved in 15 minutes, at the Police Department. I cleared 12 helpdesk tickets in that short amount of time. Something I've been working with for 8 years, which is why had a good idea about what was going on. 2 years 9 months....

Afternoon All,

Started out today at 72F and supposed to get to 92F. I ran some errands then "planted" trees on the layout. After lunch son and I dug and cut the roots of the hedge bush's that were on the corners of the garage and finally removed them. MOH had wanted them gone and I was resisting. I decided it would be a good Mother's Day present. I'm not sure what she wants to replace them with. Tomorrow I'm heading up to my buddy Jon.

Golfing- I have only played 9 holes of golf and had a score over 100. I decided it wasn't for me.

Guy- I wish you continued good luck with the fires and nice 1:1 photos.

Willie- I saw him in Mobile, AL in either 1975 or 1976. I knew very little about him and didn't follow his music. A friend convinced me to go to the concert. It was in a small amphitheater that was only half full. The only song I recognized was Piano Man. I was not impressed. I like him better now.

Chad- It's starting to look like a house.

Smudge- Interesting looking steamer.

Jaz- A friend of mine (Jon) builds layouts for clients. When he transports the parts of one, he rents a U-Haul truck and packing blankets. He transports them after he finishes trackwork and wiring (no buildings).

Troy- That's a much better reach than I have in a couple of spots on my layout.

Karl- I read the HZ book and found it interesting.

TomO- That comic reminds me of when the kids were young. I would tell them something off the wall with my "Dad" face. They would listen then run to MOH asking if it was true. MOH would say "kids don't listen to your Dad". :) Good times!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Going to be a quick in and out.

I was out of town for a couple of weeks. My birthday was at the beginning of April and 12 other relatives in Indiana also have April birthdays. I was invited to come east and join the festivities. Actually had another April birthday, Olivia, the little dachshund that I adopted out of Texas. Many I hadn't see for years and during those years, others had been added to their families. It was good to visit all of them. Guess I missed a couple of snow falls while I was gone. On the way back I visited cousins in Harlowtown and Deer Lodge as well as my son and daughter in the Bozeman area. Am I ever glad I got the heck out of there.

Haven't been near a computer in over a month. Sure was nice.

Todd - Happy for you getting a gas range.I sure miss mine and there is no was to get a propane tank pt in where I am now.

Chad - Glad to see walls going up at your new digs, but I'm sure not as happy as you.

Curt - I did see some videos of your new layout on YouTube. IMPRESSIVE, well done.

Troy - The bench work is looking good.

Willie - I am so happy to see you getting some use out of some of the old Logan Valley layout. Looking forward to see where the items end up.

I do have a large box of PINE TREES For Sale if anyone is interested. Willie couldn't use pine trees. They were collected over probably a 25 to 30 year period. Don't know what brand they are. On some, ground foam was applied to them. Here are a few photos showing the trees. Didn't count them, but I am sure that there is well over a hundred of them.

20181111_162556.jpg

20180113_150836.jpg

20181013_133610.jpg

20181113_081020.jpg

20200328_123428.jpg

20190414_114135.jpg

The scratch built brass turntable is also available if anyone is interested. Got banged around during the destruction of the layout.

Still trying to catch up with things that I missed during the almost 4 weeks I was gone.

LATER

I guess most have heard that Campbell Scale Models is closing/has closed down.

Real work today, no time for bench work.

Everyone have a great day........John
It's always a shame when another model railroading manufacturer closes down. I was told that their kits just weren't the same after Leo sold the company in the early 2000's. Don't know whether they got better or worse. I only have one kit made by them from the pre-2000 period.

Afternoon all,

Seems my town missed on on some additional storms overnight.

The closer I got to work after my appointment, I noticed some ponds running running over. Seems at about 4:00a this morning it rained nearly 2" south and west of where I live. I know at 4:30a it wasn't raining and storming where I was and the streets and sidewalks were dry. It has been dry enough though that mush of that rain did run. Still talking some more rain later.

I feel sorry for my supervisor. Seems the storm had knocked the internet off at the waste water plant, although everything else on the network was working correctly. He came in early, as I and the 2 techs were out. Spent almost 3 hours banging his head against the wall and couldn't correct it. Once I was on site, I had the issue resolved in 15 minutes, at the Police Department. I cleared 12 helpdesk tickets in that short amount of time. Something I've been working with for 8 years, which is why had a good idea about what was going on. 2 years 9 months....
Remember to let them know when you leave you are available as a consultant at at lot more money per hour

After a very bad experience with air brushing 25 years ago, I have decided to try again. The beginner air brush set (spelled
(C-H-E-A-P) had a plastic single action brush and a can of propellant that leaked while in use. My efforts were much less than satisfactory.
I recently acquired a box of shells and rolling stock in various states of dis-repair.
I have also purchased a quality double action air brush, compressor and air brush paints. After watching several hours of you-tube videos, I found out that I previously did all the things experts say not to do.
20230510_143808.jpg

Here are some of the things I want to repurpose into storage, shops and offices. What is the best way to clean up these objects for air brushing?
I assume to start with soap and warm water. Some suggest lightly scuffing the surface with a plastic pad or sand paper. Others suggest wiping down the surfaces with alcohol.
What words of wisdom do the forum members have for me?

After a very bad experience with air brushing 25 years ago, I have decided to try again. The beginner air brush set (spelled
(C-H-E-A-P) had a plastic single action brush and a can of propellant that leaked while in use. My efforts were much less than satisfactory.
I recently acquired a box of shells and rolling stock in various states of dis-repair.
I have also purchased a quality double action air brush, compressor and air brush paints. After watching several hours of you-tube videos, I found out that I previously did all the things experts say not to do.
View attachment 168146
Here are some of the things I want to repurpose into storage, shops and offices. What is the best way to clean up these objects for air brushing?
I assume to start with soap and warm water. Some suggest lightly scuffing the surface with a plastic pad or sand paper. Others suggest wiping down the surfaces with alcohol.
What words of wisdom do the forum members have for me?
Check out this thread, lots of usefull tips and "How to's"

Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back