Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a very bad experience with air brushing 25 years ago, I have decided to try again. The beginner air brush set (spelled
(C-H-E-A-P) had a plastic single action brush and a can of propellant that leaked while in use. My efforts were much less than satisfactory.
I recently acquired a box of shells and rolling stock in various states of dis-repair.
I have also purchased a quality double action air brush, compressor and air brush paints. After watching several hours of you-tube videos, I found out that I previously did all the things experts say not to do.
View attachment 168146
Here are some of the things I want to repurpose into storage, shops and offices. What is the best way to clean up these objects for air brushing?
I assume to start with soap and warm water. Some suggest lightly scuffing the surface with a plastic pad or sand paper. Others suggest wiping down the surfaces with alcohol.
What words of wisdom do the forum members have for me?

Mikey - Chris and Troy have steered you in the right direction. There's a lot of stuff there, going on 65 pages, but the information that you are specifically looking for should be in the first 3-4 pages if I recall. Some rather formidable posts from a few great weatherers. Is that a word???

Whiskey is "Stonehammer"

New reading material is by Tony Koester. Plant thingie by my wife...

The previous book by Allen McClelland is a good read, but the type is soooo tiny. Thankfully Tony's other book on the V&O was good enough. I'll get through Allen's book as time permits. Right now, Tony's is readable with larger type, and covers much of the same material...

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 7.18.24 PM.png

Sounds like your supervisor is like a newly graduated 2nd Lt. He may have rank, but rank doesn't necessarily equate to experience.
He was the former tech. He's just a year older than my kids and I've been doing this longer than he's been alive. Reason I don't have his job, I didn't want it. I was asked to apply, but too much hassle and was also responsible for another department. He does a good job as a buffer between me and the city administration. I helped hire him for the it department when he started.

Good evening. 56° and clear, went to 72° this afternoon.

I spent 1'30" in the rehab today, using only machines that were designed to be used while seated. Mild difficulty for 16" to 22" each. No Issues.
I've been overthinking what might have caused yesterday's incident. Conclusion is that since there were no indications and all my numbers were normal, that I wasn't Cardio. I also passed the Concussion protocol, and examination revealed there was no ear infection, or fluid in the ear. So... I was either dehydrated, or lacked sufficient protein in my diet...Also, that I have lost too much weight. Solution, pending blood work next week, Increase calorie intake to allow for an active lifestyle, vs. residing on my butt, looking at the computer all day.

Moving right along, the recycle contractor failed to show for their bi-weekly collection. They have all day tomorrow to pick up the recycles, before they are dumped into a plain bag and tossed in the garbage. While I believe and willfully participate in recycling, My garage isn't a recycling warehouse where I can hold this stuff indefinitely or until the contractor gets around to it.

After last night's second period collapse, I have given up on the Devils...perhaps, they are not quite ready for prime time this year.Last I looked the O's were ahead of Tampa Bay, 2 - 1 top of 9th, and the Mets were in the lead 2 - 1 over the Reds, bottom of the 8th. As an added bonus, the Phillies beat Toronto, in 10, 2 - 1. End of 2nd, Leafs lead Florida 1 - 0, trying to avoid being swept.

Tomorrow, is planting day. with flower pots and hanging baskets needing attention. The left overs will get clustered into beds. Later in the week, Veggies.

I have to find some time for the model railroad. All of my projects came to a halt, in anticipation of our recent road trip. Now, there is too much to do all at once.

Conrail ran an OCS Train, over the South Jersey branches today, using Juniata Terminal's SW1500 and Bennett Levine's PVs including PRR 130, Pennsylvania.

After a very bad experience with air brushing 25 years ago, I have decided to try again. The beginner air brush set (spelled
(C-H-E-A-P) had a plastic single action brush and a can of propellant that leaked while in use. My efforts were much less than satisfactory.
I recently acquired a box of shells and rolling stock in various states of dis-repair.
I have also purchased a quality double action air brush, compressor and air brush paints. After watching several hours of you-tube videos, I found out that I previously did all the things experts say not to do.
View attachment 168146
Here are some of the things I want to repurpose into storage, shops and offices. What is the best way to clean up these objects for air brushing?
I assume to start with soap and warm water. Some suggest lightly scuffing the surface with a plastic pad or sand paper. Others suggest wiping down the surfaces with alcohol.
What words of wisdom do the forum members have for me?
I agree with the others the Continous weathering thread has some great information.

You will find as WILLIE wrote the first few pages have some great information. Reads like you did the right thing in purchasing a quality airbrush and compressor. Paints, let us know which ones you have.

What I will strongly suggest here and is strongly suggested in the thread is PRACTICE on cars you don’t care about. Experiment with the paints and mixtures. Play with the PSI on the compressor. Plus write what works on paper or a computer page.

I am not a fan of scuffing with a sanding pad of any sort. Hot water and dish soap works well if thoroughly rinsed off. You will find in the thread I am a strong proponent of Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning models.

Be ready for some joys and frustration. It’s a process but I believe it to be a fun one

Good morning from WIsconsin. Another beautiful day is the prediction so it’s a day for a drive. Heading over through the back roads and the Horicon Marsh (a couple planned stops in the marsh for pictures) to West Bend, Wi. I packed the car after dinner last night so I am ready to go at 9:15. I am to deliver some weathered items, a few structure builds and check out I have been told, a great layout. No operations today, just a look see. Then after hopefully a good local lunch I will head over to Walthers. The Spring sale continues online until May 15th but the showroom is only open on Thursday and Fridays. I do have a list to give the staff and they pull it from the warehouse. The clearance table usually has some items worth the trip. Then I will go over to Hiawatha Hobbies (another list) before heading home, again on the back roads. The travel is planned for as few Interstates or 4 lane State Highways as possible. I will be not able to avoid them in Milwaukee or the suburbs to get to Walthers and Hiawatha but the main travel will be back roads. Just a lazy day moving around.

enjoy the day

Well, howdy there, internet peeps, and those wondering what devious evil genius plans Tom O is up needing all of those molten sulfur cars? Will he finally catch the roadrunner? or the Wascalwy Wabbit?

This is my 2nd favorite time of the year. Windows open all night, pollen count not horrible (Though I did jump up to the strongest OTC allergy med per the doc for the spring). Other than the midnight potty run, I slept in until 6:50 instead of my usual oh-four-hundred...

MIL, dealing with her abscessed tooth, managed to sleep most of yesterday, barely ate, and got her blood sugar out of whack... wife had to run over at 7pm and sit with her for two hours to make sure the injection and the insulin pump got it back down into stable ranges.

We're hoping she feels well enough to get the 4-1-1 on the new-in-box insulin pump later today.

Here's the first set of noodlings after reading through a lot of the track planning stuff from the V&O

I'm still in favor of a scenic loop on the layout. But I'm trying to disguise that loop as much as possible.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 8.09.57 AM.png

The highest elevation is on the left side at THE MINES at St. MO. Ore cars (eg: coal) from here will be needed elsewhere on the layout, but mainly heading to the MAJOR YARD

The purple line will descend on a 2% grade
It will wrap around through some scenic divides and spaces between places to stop off at Eerie Falls. A small drop off of a few ore here. Pick up some logging cars.

Out freight will head to the major yard to dump off a lot the ore and logging cars. It can either head "beyond the basement" by taking the "treadmill" route off layout... or head back on the scenic loop. Once it approaches ST Mo on the GREEN ROUTE, it can either venture back to the mines, or take the helix to the upper layout.

Upper deck will be a return loop wrapping around the peninsula (above Eerie falls and Major Yard). Minor Yard will be above the Major yard. Another Beyond the Basement connection point here... Just in case I want to expand into the treadmill/TV watching area.

The upper deck line will probably Y into the main line at the back of the peninsula loop.

I'm not one to totally draw things out before hand. Too many variables my brain wants, but won't be practical on the table. So, minimal design to begin with, and then make it fit, add the bells and whistles and dancing cows later.

I agree with the others the Continous weathering thread has some great information.

You will find as WILLIE wrote the first few pages have some great information. Reads like you did the right thing in purchasing a quality airbrush and compressor. Paints, let us know which ones you have.

What I will strongly suggest here and is strongly suggested in the thread is PRACTICE on cars you don’t care about. Experiment with the paints and mixtures. Play with the PSI on the compressor. Plus write what works on paper or a computer page.

I am not a fan of scuffing with a sanding pad of any sort. Hot water and dish soap works well if thoroughly rinsed off. You will find in the thread I am a strong proponent of Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning models.

Be ready for some joys and frustration. It’s a process but I believe it to be a fun one
I have had limited success with Dullcote, followed by weathering powder. I have not had a lot of success with painting techniques. I also lack the patience needed to learn such techniques. Believe, I will start with reading the Weathering thread myself. Good information, I'm sure.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 64°, rain possible later today. Rained yesterday with 0.10" in the gauge. Just enough to get things wet. The forecast for the next ten days is the same. low to mid-80's in the day, mid-60's at night with a chance of rain everyday.

Doing the weekly grocery trek tomorrow this week instead of today. Just not ready and I want my wife's input. She spent the night in Dallas last night instead of driving home in the rain during rush hour. I found and signed up with a different garbage service yesterday after the current one decided to up my rate excessively.

Garden is looking good despite my lack of care! These are the same two broccoli plants that I showed a few days ago, more than doubling in size.
IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

Unfortunately I have "cabbage worms" that made those small holes in the leaves. I desperately need a dry day today to go and squish them all.
The early Tomato plants are about 30" tall.
IMG_3456.JPG

Not a lot of activity out in the train shed yesterday, as a doctor's appointment took a lot of time in the early afternoon. I'm back to the food trailer project and added signs and installed a fence between the scene and the main line behind it.
IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

I decided to extend the scene a bit to the left and I now have to go back and add additional ground cover and a shade tree.

Jaz - Good luck with the layout rescue and move.
Patrick - That windfall that you are expecting is obviously an outgoing one...to your dentist.
Tom O - Have a great trip.

Today is the last day of Title 42. Get ready America.

Everybody have a great day. Maybe it will stay dry here. I have gardening to do.

Good morning everyone!

Another gorgeous day in Northern Illinois.

Sent my mower to the dealer last Friday for yearly service. They just delivered it back this morning, so it should be ready to go for the season.
True-green sprayed the lawn yesterday, so can't mow till to tomorrow. I seem to be way behind this year.

We have our last track meet for my daughter tonight. Its a make up from late April when it was cancelled by storms. Not sure why they are making it up. Neither Schools are going on to Regionals, so it really doesn't matter.

Hope you all have a safe day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back