Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of my friends are extremely slow golfers. Our foursome is done in 4 1/2 hours waiting on the other 2 groups in our skins game to finish. 45 minutes later they show up. Where have you been? You teed off 5 minutes behind us. I don't play in that group but maybe I should to see what's going there. This is like every week.
Swal
I used to play in a group of 24 golfers. We always were the 1st to open the course at 8AM on Thursday mornings, so it was easy to time. Before every round $10 went in the kitty. If you finished in under 4 hours walking 18 you got your money back, if not it went to the party fund. That ended because guys were blaming groups in front of them for delays.

Golf: Way back when playing in the Spokane area in the summer, we would get to the course not to long after dawn. If there was no dew on the greens we would start. By the time we finished 18 the club house would be open and we would go in and pay. They *usually* gave us a discount - something like $12 instead of the normal $18. Was playing 2 or 3 times a week back then and finally broke 90. Boy, I would have a bowling score now days!

Later

Yep... I'm painting the sky today:

skypaint.jpg

Those are the three 16" panels for under the upper deck. I've got 24" inch for the upper deck.

Golf: A pleasant walk, except you're always in the sun. Hit the ball, chase the ball, hit the ball, chase the ball. Hit the ball, lose the ball. Start over with a new ball. Golfers just need to get themselves a good dog. Like a lab or a golden retriever.

WILLIE: Depending on what scenery I put at the front edge of the lower deck, I can reach the upper deck, midway back everywhere. Remeber that I'm curving the backdrop out away from the extreme of that back corner. The brace between the decks (back right of pic above) is also a support for the backdrop.

I might have to break out the small step stool on occasion - like Jim's infamous Two-Step-Stool he often wrote about in his infamous thread

Afternoon All,

Started out this morning with a walk at 68F and currently it's 83F. Today I finished up the last set of 10 trees that I turned into 12. They're drying in the garage, and I hope to plant them tomorrow. Also, tomorrow son and I need to dig out hedge bushes on the corners of the driveway that MOH wants removed so we're doing it for Mother's Day. Speaking of, MOH and daughter have a hotel getaway (local) Fri-Sun.

Louis- Neat photos. That is a beautiful station and an immense warehouse.

Patrick- I definitely feel your dental pain.

David- Nice videos. I was surprised by the apparent lack of headlights.

Willie- Nice scenes. I did better today, I was initially dizzy but stared at a fixed object and it went away quickly.

Troy- Great progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I guess I live in a different world than most people. In 1984 a carpenter friend and myself started work on a IBM the construction site in Somer NY. On the second day on the way home my friend said, they told me to either move a little faster or go home. That's the mind set your in until you get your 30 thousand hours in and retire.
Swal
I prepare shop drawings for steel fabricators. I have done this for over 45 years. I started my own business in 1990. I am fully aware in the construction industry every project is behind according to the owners and GC They are constantly pushing for things to be done........time is money they say but what they don't tell you about is the bonus THEY receive if the project comes in early. I have friends that are retired iron workers and I always appreciated their input concerning my side of the business.
My Dad was a finish carpenter. He was a cabinet maker and remodeled kitchens mostly. His customer base included attorneys, stock brokers Architects and other individuals. All of his work was "word of mouth" advertising. He never lacked for work. He told me when a customer would want something in a hurry he would tell them "you can have it fast or you can have it right".
However, my layout is my hobby. It gets me away from being pushed. I can progress at ANY rate I choose. And on my layout "slow and steady wins the race" works for me. Again, everybody else to your own devises, do what works for you.
I find model railroading to be fun and I enjoy it. The moment it becomes a drudge and hard work, I'll move on.
Enjoy the hobby........John
If your into horse/auto/motorcycle racing my philosophy on speed probably won't apply. But there are other forums for those topics.

Last edited:
Bruette you didn't have to go over any trees or anything to get back in your own fairway?
Swal
At Clifton Park golf course there are two holes on opposite sides of a line of pine trees. I can't remember the hole numbers. I used to clear those trees easily. I was a big distance hitter, but only God knew where the ball would end up.

One guy I played with suggested I only use a 7 iron and a putter.

Out of my approximately 100 strokes, one or two would be a beauty. I'd out drive everyone in my foursome and be in the middle of the correct fairway. That was enough to make me happy. Oddly enough it was often my first shot of the day. I suppose I was showing off for everyone watching at the clubhouse.

At Clifton Park golf course there are two holes on opposite sides of a line of pine trees. I can't remember the hole numbers. I used to clear those trees easily. I was a big distance hitter, but only God knew where the ball would end up.

One guy I played with suggested I only use a 7 iron and a putter.

Out of my approximately 100 strokes, one or two would be a beauty. I'd out drive everyone in my foursome and be in the middle of the correct fairway. That was enough to make me happy. Oddly enough it was often my first shot of the day. I suppose I was showing off for everyone watching at the clubhouse.
In his book, Harvey Penick says "the woods are full of long drivers."

His theory was to focus on wedge and closer. He says over half your strokes are within wedge distance (or should be), so if you want to improve your game the most, stop going to the driving range to practice, and stay on the chipping green.

I'll say I have to agree. Early in my career, I played a lot of company golf outings, and old "Uncle Saul" never hit a ball farther than about 100 yards, but they were always in the fairway. And he consistently was in the top 10% even before adjusting for handicap.

Good Afternoon All. Somewhat exasperating day so far. Been on the phone most of the morning. All about money! First it was the garbage removal people. After tolerating a year of $5 or $10 increases every month for "diesel fuel surcharges", "environmental fees", and other BS, they went over the line when May's bill came and it was 20% greater than April. The girl's comment when I pointed out that the price of diesel had come down in the last 8 months, was "I don't set the fees". OK, I sort of won because I found an alternate service that is 48% lower for the same 3 yard dumpster, and they already service several other homes in my area.

I lost on the other issue. I received my property tax appraisal for 2023, and my house valuation was increased by a whopping 53%!!! It went up 11% in 2021. The appraiser told me that it was partly a catch-up since he should have done half last year and didn't. I now have to submit a "protest" and appear before "The Appraisal Board". I'll have to evaluate whether or not it's worth my time. It actually makes no real difference; the amount will be less than $20 since in Texas most property taxes are frozen when you reach age 65. The only two items that are allowed to go up are the county hospital, and the federal flood control district, which combined were less than $100 last year out of the $730 that I paid on a four bedroom house, train shed and 15 acres. By comparison, I have a brother in Dallas who pays that much every month on his "suburban house and pool" on a quarter acre lot. I don't have near the amenities as living in the big city though. No sewer or garbage pickup (see above), volunteer fire dept located 7 miles away, the county sheriff has only been sighted on my road a half dozen times in the 42 years that I have lived here, and no annoying neighbors! Well, OK, one annoying neighbor but he has remained under the radar after serving over 7 years in the state penitentiary for federal firearms issues.

Now to move on and out to the train shed, a much happier setting. Phone stays in the house.

Out of my approximately 100 strokes, one or two would be a beauty. I

That's me I haven't golfed in a few decades but once at the Stuttgart Country Club (not in Stuttgart but in Ludwigsburg) in 1987 I was pretending to be military and 4 of us were golfing. Probably the second time in my life to do an actual course. 18 holes if I remember. I had a lousy drive most of the time (I'd top the ball and play croquet) but we were about 1/2 through the course and the tee was up on a rise and the fairway was below us and rose gently to the green. It was a long hole. Some German kids were at the hole trying to sell us balls they had collected. My companions were telling the kids to watch me as I was a great player (which I definitely was not). I told the kids I sucked (total truth, not just being modest). I stepped up and had the most perfect drive I've ever done. Straight up the fairway and a really good distance. It was beautiful. I've had nothing comparable before or since though I've occasionally had a good drive (and on a work scramble once, they even used my ball once!). Needless to say, the German kids didn't believe me in the least.

I later took a golf class in college and would occasionally go a round of 9 with work friends or roommates etc but have not been in a long while. Maybe someday I'll give it a go again. My grandfather lived for golf and his sons are all great golfers, as are my cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back