Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang and those who need new choppers! 🦷🦷🦷🦷🦷

Flo, can I get the steak and eggs special this morning?

Spent last evening cleaning up helicopters from the big ole Maple tree in the front yard, Tonight, I may attempt the gutters. Maybe. See with my balance issues SWMBO is leery of me on ladders, and definitely not the roof. My neighbors wife walks around all day on top of those huge oil and fuel tanks at the port, so we might enlist her assistance.
oil tank.jpg

She's not bothered by these, my roof ain't nuthin!

I am methodical not slow. No need to rush just do it right

I try to impress on the younger techs here to answer this question.

Why is there never enough time to do the job right but plenty of time to do it over?

BBL

Last edited:
Good morning. Back in Jersey, and back to cloudy with a chance of rain...Back to my usual routine of Cardiac Therapy and Food shopping. O's lost to Tampa Bay, Vegas clobbered Edmonton, and The Blackhawks won the draft lottery (Surprised?). Gossip columnists are still diesting Bonnie King Charley's coronation, and the circus goes on in DC.
On the model railroad front, I added another tank car to the targeted fleet. This one an ACDX 10,000 car from the Allied Chemical pool. Our mail was supposed to be held until today, but the carrier had a better idea, so he delivered yesterday.
Speaking of choppers,add me to the list. I see a few extractions, and new (partial?), plates in my future.
Louis: Neat photo of Camden station. You might have added that it is to some extent still an active railroad passenger station today.
Everyone enjoy their day.

I'm in the slow and steady camp myself. I hate doing things over. That's why I might look at a blank 2'x2' space on the layout for 2 years (or longer), before deciding what and how to do something. All of my benchwork took 3 years total, but part of that is that is because I laid track after completing 20' or so and ran trains back and forth!;)
I have to many things to get done around here to be in any kind of slow mode. The dandelions will take over the place if I let them. Their in the speed up mode to get their seeds spread across the yard. The two flower gardens have to be weeded. The back yard shed needs a new roof. Plus I'm installing a new ceiling in the train room. I'm in the speed up mode right at the moment.
Swal

Good Morning All!

44F @ 78% and overcast. Weather guessers say mo rain today in between sun and partly; tomorra too; might get to 75F, then sunny for the next few days with highs in the 90's.

Demo is going slow as I just can not crawl around ( even with knee pads ) as good as I used to. Glad we decided to take on getting the upstairs fixed as I can see daylight in some places at the roof to wall interfaces. Really bad insulation and seal job somebody did before we got the place. We even have electrical on ceramic posts hiding that needs redone. We have decided to take the old wood stove chimney out although I am still on the fence with that. From what I have found so far, there are not any steel support studs in the mortar at the peak, or 2nd floor. This is a 'stand alone' approx 20ft stack; no fireplace ( or any other breast of the chimney ) sticking out anywhere except for the roof top. Will know more when all the tongue and groove/tar paper/plaster and wall paper stuff is gone and I can get up close and personal with it. Now to find the style of metal roofing and top metal we currently have to cover that gaping hole that will be in the top of the roof. Yes, we need new roof metal; think I talked about that in an earlier post; but not this year. Little at a time ... right?

On a different front and even though Brandon forbids it, a brand new gas cook stove came home with us when we ordered flooring last week; new double door refer too. Refer has almost twice the room as the old one with a drawer freezer. We really don't need the freezer in the refer, but with the additional $$$ for a freezer-less refer; we will use the freezer. Don't make sense to me as to the more $$$ part. Anyway, have to convert the stove to Propane and should get the parts to change the 5 burners and convection orifices later today. Looking forward to this as the old gas stove had tiny burners and is/was a PITA to cook on and clean. Old stove disappeared yesterday as we took it to Ray's house. He found out we were doing a new one and gave me 2 C-Notes to take the old one off my hands. I did find out that the new oven will not light if house power is off. Easy fix, small UPS just for the stove. Note that you can light the burners with a flick of your Bic so that don't matter.

Trackplan is progressing as I have to have something to do in the AM while getting my coffee fix before I start making noise upstairs. I have also come to realize that when I decided to simplify the center blob I got a ton of real estate for various industries and scenery. Knew that the around the walls part has lots of space for stuff; it is just an added bonus! This should keep me busy for the rest of my life!

Wife has to get her mammalian protuberances smashed and a bone density scan this afternoon. Feel sorry for her.

Y'all be good!

Later

Louis: Neat photo of Camden station. You might have added that it is to some extent still an active railroad passenger station today.
An exceptionally good point, thank you!
The original station is no longer in use for the railroad. It is now used for the Sports Legends Museum among other things.
1683637850282.png

Camden Station, (photo below) now also referred to as Camden Street Station at Camden Yards, is a train station at the intersection of South Howard and West Camden Streets in Baltimore, Maryland, and is adjacent to Oriole Park at Camden Yards, behind the B&O Warehouse.
Camden Station is a light rail station.
1683638177334.png

In this second photo you can see the top of the original Camden Station over the top right side of the light rail station. The B&O Warehouse is on the left.
1683639416130.png

Last edited:
I can tell you when it comes to delivering packages slow and steady combined with efficiency and organization wins more often than not.
A few of the other contractors I work with call me "speedy" because I usually finish my route first.

At this point in my life, I have two speeds, slow and stop. My seven-year perfect driver safety status proves I don't drive fast. My winning tactic, keep moving. That and knowing the roads.

Last edited:
Good morning global modelers. I really do not know why I listen when the wife has the local evening weather guesser on the TV monitor. But she’s not home and I turned it on anyway before dinner on Sunday. Yesterday’s forecast for was rain from midnight to evening and then start up again overnight. It did rain till around noon and then stopped and didn’t come back. So, we are headed to a dry few days. Nope, no weather guessing from the local media today, the house is silent and I will gather the weather info from the app.

The only time the monitor will be on is for the hockey games tonight and maybe some You Tube content.

I am not real sure what might happen today. The grass if dry enough is shaggy and needs a trim. I am back from a lab where the “this will pinch” felt more like “I am going to hurt you”. 8 vials which is no big deal but the bloodsucking lady was not tender. I have dental or medical appointments each day for the rest of the week. I got a lot done at the bench yesterday and today some of that will go to the post office. I have 2 tractors for FedEx to finish weathering today and other then 4 locomotives for July delivery I have finished client work. My double stack and spline car train Guy’s project is finished and his daughter picked it up. If I never see another container of his I am ok with that.

The son called last night. He will be picking up a client on Saturday in Indianapolis for a trip flying over Niagara Falls. He will bring his mom and Aunt back here on Friday. He asked if I wanted to join his client for the flyover. Said I will need my passport as we will fly to Ottawa and overnight there. While I’d love to, I’m not sure how I’d fit in and I don’t want to feel like an extra in the cabin.

Going outside to check how wet the grass is, then I will hit some balls for 30 minutes or so…

enjoy your day

Good morning. Back in Jersey, and back to cloudy with a chance of rain...Back to my usual routine of Cardiac Therapy and Food shopping. O's lost to Tampa Bay, Vegas clobbered Edmonton, and The Blackhawks won the draft lottery (Surprised?). Gossip columnists are still diesting Bonnie King Charley's coronation, and the circus goes on in DC.
On the model railroad front, I added another tank car to the targeted fleet. This one an ACDX 10,000 car from the Allied Chemical pool. Our mail was supposed to be held until today, but the carrier had a better idea, so he delivered yesterday.
Speaking of choppers,add me to the list. I see a few extractions, and new (partial?), plates in my future.
Everyone enjoy their day.
I actually was shocked and disappointed the Black Hawks won the lottery. Now I feel they are locked in by general proclamation to picking Bednard at 5’10” over my personal preference of Adam Fantalli at 6’2”. I hope though either are as good as their past has demonstrated and that Bednard will be as impactful as Patrick Kane was for the Hawks. Now they need to find him a Jonathan Toews type to partner and grow up together into stars. That was so enjoyable watching that process unfold.

I know some of my friends are extremely slow golfers. Our foursome is done in 4 1/2 hours waiting on the other 2 groups in our skins game to finish. 45 minutes later they show up. Where have you been? You teed off 5 minutes behind us. I don't play in that group but maybe I should to see what's going there. This is like every week.
Swal

Second update for today:

Managed to get to the big box stores for morning errands. At Menards I got enough 1x13 lumber to keep working on the upper deck of the layout. AND my second trip to Lowes, I got the 1/4in hardboard sheet ripped down to 16in by 8 foot lengths. Looks like I'll be painting BLUE on them today.

And, the Mother-in-law texted my wife yesterday... call me after work...

With a toothache... probably infected.

Of course, wife waited until AFTER she was done with work for the day... and got to lecture her mother on ... Somethings I need to know BEFORE the medical offices CLOSE for the day...

So, early morning call into the dentist, and she can get in at 1pm today.

Which is the same time MIL was supposed to visit the diabetes clinic and get the rundown on her new insulin pump... So that got bumped off to make room for the emergency dental run.

I'll start cutting boards while the wife has the car out for her mother's dental trip.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 66° here. Staying below 90° today and thunderstorms predicted for the next five days, maybe only 77° tomorrow. May be able to turn off the A/C.

No new choppers needed here as I already have 9 crowns and 8 implants. Not many originals left.

More mowing today but almost done with the whole thing after getting the south and SW (septic area) done yesterday. Only have the north around the train shed and the area between the house and pool left to do today. I did get the ceiling fan installed yesterday, took longer than expected, but not as long as the previous one that I did last year. 4 of 5 in the house have been replaced in the last three years, the oldest one (42 years) in the kitchen just keeps hanging in there. It's actually the most used one that we have.

I'm late this morning because my wife called from her "Girls Winery "trip. Damn, she can talk long. Someone overindulged as my daughter cannot find her credit card this morning. Just an excuse to go back to the last speakeasy that they were at. She was able to check to see that no one had used it.

I did just two things out in the train shed yesterday, cleaned up some under layout areas so I can rearrange where some things are stored and I ran trains once again. I needed to consolidate detail parts which are stored in five organizer cabinets in three different locations, all in one place closer to the workbench. I have unbuilt structure kits in two spots and I need to decide how to handle 45 years of model railroad magazines that are stacked all over the place..
OK, I actually did a third thing out there yesterday, I planted a few of Chet's giant trees.
IMG_3445 (2).JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

In the first picture, I will be adding a few more to a blank area that is a scene divider. There is a stream (not yet modeled) to the left in the second picture and these large trees will fit in well on both sides. These are the infamous Sagebrush trees that he posted about many times.
Maybe plant a few more today, continue the cleanup and maybe relax at the workbench painting and touching up figures.

Troy - The photo of the benchwork in post #355 looks good, but that upper level is going to be really hard to reach.
Curt - Hope that you're feeling better today.
Karl - Wife forbid me from getting on the roof 2 years ago at age 69.
Todd - Yep! That no oven when there is no power is annoying at best. But as you pointed out, you still have burners. Try that with an electric range!

The Piano Man, Billy Joel, is 74 today. Maybe he can "sing us a song".
Everyone out there have a great day.

I know some of my friends are extremely slow golfers. Our foursome is done in 4 1/2 hours waiting on the other 2 groups in our skins game to finish. 45 minutes later they show up. Where have you been? You teed off 5 minutes behind us. I don't play in that group but maybe I should to see what's going there. This is like every week.
Swal
Swal, I've only played maybe a dozen rounds of golf. I loved every round I played, and I only broke one hundred once. It seemed like I was always waiting for the group in front to finish so we could tee off. I did play fast, even though I was sometimes in the wrong fairway. At least I had a good lie. :D "Fore!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back