Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
23F and headed up to 40+.
We couldn't go ice-fishing yesterday due to the high winds. Ice-fishing is never fun if it's a windy day. If this warm keeps up, the season is over.

With no ice-fishing on the radar, I built that layout table joiner section, instead. Here's the latest photo, that I've marked up so you can see what I'm up to:
LayoutConst_03-16-2022 (2).jpg

The entire set-up is perfectly level according to my 4' carpenters level, back to front and lengthwise.

Since I had this much built, I started measuring and playing with drawing pencil lines on where I'd like the track to go. I'm finding out in a hurry that HO scale isn't really all that small, and real-estate gets eaten up in very quick order. Like the typical beginner trying to look like a professional, I thought I was making a good sized layout. Now, I'm thinking it's just a bit bigger than the 4x8 plywood set-up I had as a kid.
Oh well! It is what it is. I'm more into the modelling than running long train excursions anyway. This layout will give me heaps of modelling opportunity.

Thank you for the likes on these simple posts.

Willie - Don't be surprised if I try to copy the scratch fencing idea of yours. I think the bard-wire fence looks the part, for sure.

Lee - Thank you for posting the excellent layout photos. It's a pleasure to view your work.

Steve - Wonderful to see you're trials and tribulations as you move forward with the layout. Wish I could help you more, but, I'm inexperienced as well. That makes me mostly an observer.

I think I'll try to make a river crossing module today. I'm thinking a multi-layer 1-1/2" styrafoam module that I can cut a river valley into. But, without having a bridge to cross it, how wide should I make it??? I'm thinking 3' of styrafoam.

Have a good one!

Good Morning!
23F and headed up to 40+.
We couldn't go ice-fishing yesterday due to the high winds. Ice-fishing is never fun if it's a windy day. If this warm keeps up, the season is over.

With no ice-fishing on the radar, I built that layout table joiner section, instead. Here's the latest photo, that I've marked up so you can see what I'm up to:
View attachment 142972
The entire set-up is perfectly level according to my 4' carpenters level, back to front and lengthwise.

Since I had this much built, I started measuring and playing with drawing pencil lines on where I'd like the track to go. I'm finding out in a hurry that HO scale isn't really all that small, and real-estate gets eaten up in very quick order. Like the typical beginner trying to look like a professional, I thought I was making a good sized layout. Now, I'm thinking it's just a bit bigger than the 4x8 plywood set-up I had as a kid.
Oh well! It is what it is. I'm more into the modelling than running long train excursions anyway. This layout will give me heaps of modelling opportunity.

Thank you for the likes on these simple posts.

Willie - Don't be surprised if I try to copy the scratch fencing idea of yours. I think the bard-wire fence looks the part, for sure.

Lee - Thank you for posting the excellent layout photos. It's a pleasure to view your work.

Steve - Wonderful to see you're trials and tribulations as you move forward with the layout. Wish I could help you more, but, I'm inexperienced as well. That makes me mostly an observer.

I think I'll try to make a river crossing module today. I'm thinking a multi-layer 1-1/2" styrafoam module that I can cut a river valley into. But, without having a bridge to cross it, how wide should I make it??? I'm thinking 3' of styrafoam.

Have a good one!
Your welcome and I like that setup for your layout I’m going to be expanding my HO and your plan is exactly what I’m looking for but not as big thanks for sharing.

Good morning all! Looks like another beautiful day on tap. 52 and sunny now and later 73 and sunny.

Got some work in the garage done yesterday and really enjoyed just being outside. So glad Spring is almost here. I love this time of year, despite the allergies that come with it.

Nothing much to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those wanting some of Willie's beer train cargo

It's Troy again

I discovered what happens when I print an elephant, without an elephant's worth of resin in the vat

276007105_4982033745197093_2024467195020811235_n.jpg

And, I now know which side of the vat is a bit lower than the other side. Time to shim up the workbench. See the leg on the left side of the photo? Enough resin to print it, but not the other three legs. So the front left is lower.

I was going to name him Stampie, to go with Stompie, the first elephant I printed.

Now, I think I'll print up a watering hole, and have him coming up out of it. That will be an interesting piece of terrain for the game table.

In other news, I picked up a chuck roast today for smoking on the grill.

I had 5 windows replaced yesterday and didn't realize I would be needing to change all the blinds. I couldn't even try cutting the smaller 16 inch blinds because the mechanisms are in the way. I just bought all new blinds about 5 years ago. The new windows side frames are much wider than the 1964 single pane wood ones. I also made another mistake by installing the hardware for the blinds on the 48 inch window putting it dead center only to realize again the mechanism for the blind is dead center. Had to move it off center. I'm learning.
George
blinds_02.jpg

blinds_01.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning all,

We hit 52° yesterday! No wind to boot, the snow is really melting! Saw two robins yesterday, a sure sign of spring at our location.

Willie - Nice radius tool, way better than mine! Also, like the cow scene (er train scene), the green grass and cow calf pair very convincing.

Hughie - 80°? I am jealous.

Boris - I better get rid of my old Iphone before it starts a fire in my house. I guess you don't want to leave some of that stuff laying around

Lee - another nice train video

Terry - I hope your wife continues to improve

Patrick - we are having corned beef and cabbage for supper as well

McLeod - you are moving right a long on the layout

Troy - Print a waterhole? Elaborate, please

George - new windows look great

I made it to the train room last night, got some painting done. Also gradually unwrapping some of my packed away stuff, found this kit I assembled a couple years ago: trying it out on the new layout

IMG_2022.JPG

Thats all for now, more later

Dave LASM

Hi, Folks!
Yesterday when I was walking the dog, I accidentally dropped my trail camera out of my pocket into the snow. Didn't realize it at the time.
I noticed the camera missing this morning. Thinking that I had lost the SD card, I wasn't very happy. Don't really care about the camera.

When I walked the dog this morning, I found someone had placed the camera on top of a stump. Wow; I'm so happy an honest person found it. I believe most would have been thrilled at finding a discarded camera.
Now I'm going to talk to the folks I meet on the trail. I want to thank that unknown person who found it. They need to be thanked.

If I lost that SD card, I would have lost photos like this:
10-31-2020 (4).JPG

09-26-2020 (127).JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

11-01-2020 (21).JPG

I find some comfort in knowing that not the whole world has gone down the toilet. There are still good people out there.

Have a good one!

Mmmmmm. Yes, used to do chuck roast(s) on the grill and they great. Have you noticed lately that meat, beef in general, has loss its taste and needs a lot of seasonings? I remember looking forward to a T Bone on the grill, medium rare and the great taste of the beef. But, that seems to be a thing of the past.

Greg
Considering how I used my father's method of grill... hot fast and charred for many years, I always wondered what good beef tasted like. Now that I'm slowing down and cooking it right-ish, I'm discovering flavor. And I use a homemade rub that is mostly black pepper, with Lowry's seasoned salt and a dash or two of onion and garlic powders. Meat is pre-salted with kosher salt, so I don't have a bunch of lowry's salt. Probably 5pts pepper for 1 part Lowry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back