Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmmm. Yes, used to do chuck roast(s) on the grill and they great. Have you noticed lately that meat, beef in general, has loss its taste and needs a lot of seasonings? I remember looking forward to a T Bone on the grill, medium rare and the great taste of the beef. But, that seems to be a thing of the past.

Greg
I hadn't noticed that here. But I usually only purchase Nolan Ryan Angus Beef, which is not be available everywhere, only Texas and Louisiana.

EDIT - Added states where available.

Last edited:
Hi, Folks!
Yesterday when I was walking the dog, I accidentally dropped my trail camera out of my pocket into the snow. Didn't realize it at the time.
I noticed the camera missing this morning. Thinking that I had lost the SD card, I wasn't very happy. Don't really care about the camera.

When I walked the dog this morning, I found someone had placed the camera on top of a stump. Wow; I'm so happy an honest person found it. I believe most would have been thrilled at finding a discarded camera.
Now I'm going to talk to the folks I meet on the trail. I want to thank that unknown person who found it. They need to be thanked.

If I lost that SD card, I would have lost photos like this:
View attachment 142996
View attachment 142997
View attachment 142998
View attachment 142999

I find some comfort in knowing that not the whole world has gone down the toilet. There are still good people out there.

Have a good one!
You are not alone in experiencing good deeds -

A couple weeks ago I lost my cell phone. Many know what a disaster that can be...

I decided to call my cell number and voila - someone answers. He found my phone on the ground at the car wash!

Funny thing, I was not even sure of where it may be.

Later that day it was back in my possession.

Yes Good people may be more common than we think!!!!!

Considering how I used my father's method of grill... hot fast and charred for many years, I always wondered what good beef tasted like. Now that I'm slowing down and cooking it right-ish, I'm discovering flavor. And I use a homemade rub that is mostly black pepper, with Lowry's seasoned salt and a dash or two of onion and garlic powders. Meat is pre-salted with kosher salt, so I don't have a bunch of lowry's salt. Probably 5pts pepper for 1 part Lowry's.
Troy - My go to for beef spice is Garlic, Pepper and Salt. When people wanted to know what the spice was I always told them 'Good Sh.t'. Welp, happened to be at Duke's in Canton Tx and found:
GoodShit.jpg

Got the stuff as joke. Tried the chicken stuff and found it tasty. Now we use the rest depending on the meat as they are darn good. Still like Garlic, Pepper and Salt though. Website here > Special Sh.t ifn y'all are interested.

Joe - Actually I have not had a problem with the tankless water heater since installing, except having to replace the fuse whenever there is a lightning surge causing a power failure. It has been other plumbing in general that's been a problem. Shortcuts were taken by someone else when the house was built and I have been having to replace much of that.
The plumbing contractor who did my house was bad...must have overbought ¾" copper, because they could have gotten by using about half of what they used. But it Pa$$ed inspection...and was issued a CO. My hot water still operates off a pilot light, so we still have hot water when the power fails.
Let's just put it as commemorating suffering.
You mean mandatory Penance...dating back to Cosimo de' Medici, who was in the seafood business, among other enterprise. ;)

Joe, I'd advise caution about Dell stuff right now.
Terry: Thanks for the heads up. I got my Inspiron 15, what, about six months ago, and so far, no complaints. No touch screen though, she wants a touch screen. I am seriously considering something with an AMD Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 chips this time. We are going to look at what's out there.

Boston - Minnesota, first Pre-season game of 2022, followed by the Sox vs.the Cubbies. Baseball is back.

9915 Harsimus Cove.jpg

ARS10 #9915 at Harsimus Cove - Jersey City, NJ

Boris - I better get rid of my old Iphone before it starts a fire in my house. I guess you don't want to leave some of that stuff laying around
Dave: Don't want to sound like an alarmist, but Lithium Ion batteries need to be handled with care. While there is insufficient statistical correlation,(yet), there are numerous incidents, involving appliances that use lithium - ion batteries. Many of these instances can be linked to other causes, but the batteries are present.

Afternoon All,

Finished up the sanding today. It only took 7 hours to do. Tomorrow, dad has a follow-on cardiologist appointment and I guess every 2 weeks for quite a while. I hope to be working again on the layout Saturday. I think I'm going to finish about half the peninsula then move over to the last pier. That way I can use half the peninsula for supplies.

Hughie- Look forward to seeing your progress. I almost bought the shipyard brewing several years ago.

Willie- Now that's funny.

Joe- I'm glad the phone didn't start a fire. Cool photos.

Lee- Another great video.

Terry- I'm glad Marie is making progress even if it is slow.

Guy- Great 1:1 photos.

Got this in the mail today.
20220317_143645 (1).jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

have you noticed a shift to Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar?

Even though it's the Pepsi plants here making and distributing DrP, they've shifted to the new Zero Sugar brand for the diet.
What I have seen in Wisconsin and diet Dr Pepper.

The HyVee store: diet 16.9oz 6 packs or 12 cans of 12oz, does not carry the sugarless version

Festival Foods: diet 16.9oz bottles, no sugarless in 16.9oz bottles. 12cans in both sugarless and diet versions

Pick and Save, a Kroger store: bottles are diet only 16.9oz, cans are only the sugarless version

I go buy where the best soda deals are. All 3 stores are near each other in a circular route so I am not going out of the way. We often stop at all 3 stores in one trip. Terry buys meat the same way. We look online for the deals, maybe 1/2 an hour a week checking prices for all groceries before we head out. Terry is a list maker and the search features for each store work for her very well.

TomO

Last edited:
Dave: Don't want to sound like an alarmist, but Lithium Ion batteries need to be handled with care. While there is insufficient statistical correlation,(yet), there are numerous incidents, involving appliances that use lithium - ion batteries. Many of these instances can be linked to other causes, but the batteries are present.
Seriously, I have my old iPhone, which totally crashed and is worthless, sitting in a desk drawer under some papers. I think it is a good idea to "take care of it"

Diet versus sugar-free soda means nothing. It's the same stuff. I noticed it a few months ago when Diet A&W Root Beer became Sugar-Free A&W Root Beer. Since then most Dr Pepper products have also switched, at least around here. I noticed today that Coca Cola is following suit, as there was both Diet Coke and Sugar-Free Coke side by side on the shelf. It's all political correctness! The word diet has negative connotations to it. Some companies are using Zero Sugar instead, although I believe that Zero Sugar may have an additional ingredient in it.

Diet versus sugar-free soda means nothing. It's the same stuff. I noticed it a few months ago when Diet A&W Root Beer became Sugar-Free A&W Root Beer. Since then most Dr Pepper products have also switched, at least around here. I noticed today that Coca Cola is following suit, as there was both Diet Coke and Sugar-Free Coke side by side on the shelf. It's all political correctness! The word diet has negative connotations to it. Some companies are using Zero Sugar instead, although I believe that Zero Sugar may have an additional ingredient in it.

I disagree. Many of the new “No Sugar” sodas I’ve seen use a different sweetener than the Diet version. Most of the “No Sugar” ones use sucralose, often in combination with a sugar alcohol based sweetener (the -itol ending ones). The diet versions usually use Nutrasweet (aspartame). I’ve checked multiple types including Mt Dew — Check the ingredients labels.

Also,the Raising Canes restaurant near me has both Diet Coke and Coke No Sugar in it separately and there is a distinct difference in taste between the two. We were there recently and I accidentally got the Diet Coke and thought it tasted a little different than I was used to and then I noticed the Coke No Sugar and that was the taste I had in mind. (The Diet Coke was like Diet Coke usually is — not a problem with the machine or anything).

Hughie- Look forward to seeing your progress. I almost bought the shipyard brewing several years ago.
Curt - The catalogue states it is a full structure in N scale, and half structure in HO and O gauge. The catalogue gives an item number of 0855 but everywhere I look the item number 0851 shows up. I'm afraid 0851 is a half structure. 0855 may be a new issue, not sure. A half structure just wouldn't work for me.

Coke no sugar is the same recipe as Coke, only as it says, without sugar.
Diet Coke is based from the recipe when they tried to make Coke taste like Pepsi in the 80's\90's.

Corned beef turned out. First time on forever I didn't crock pot it. Nice Slices!

Didn't mean to start issues on the no meat Friday's. I remember when we didn't eat meat during lent and no meat on any Friday.

Joe- I'm glad the phone didn't start a fire. Cool photos.
Didn't mean to start issues on the no meat Friday's. I remember when we didn't eat meat during lent and no meat on any Friday.
Seriously, I have my old iPhone, which totally crashed and is worthless, sitting in a desk drawer under some papers. I think it is a good idea to "take care of it"
Curt & Dave: I'm very happy that there was no fire, from the old phone. Yesterday, I was really upset. I also got rid of a lot of old stuff that was still sitting somewhere, just in case. Lesson learned. Felt I needed to pass the word. I understand, from Firehouse Magazine, that lithium-ion battery fires are hard to put out. Remember, this is relatively new technology,and we learn by experience.

Patrick; There was no issue that I know of...Even when the cannon was changed to only Fridays in Lent, my mother refused to change, she believed the change was a mistake. :rolleyes:.

Curt: That's going to be a fun project.

I disagree. Many of the new “No Sugar” sodas I’ve seen use a different sweetener than the Diet version. Most of the “No Sugar” ones use sucralose, often in combination with a sugar alcohol based sweetener (the -itol ending ones). The diet versions usually use Nutrasweet (aspartame). I’ve checked multiple types including Mt Dew — Check the ingredients labels.

Also,the Raising Canes restaurant near me has both Diet Coke and Coke No Sugar in it separately and there is a distinct difference in taste between the two. We were there recently and I accidentally got the Diet Coke and thought it tasted a little different than I was used to and then I noticed the Coke No Sugar and that was the taste I had in mind. (The Diet Coke was like Diet Coke usually is — not a problem with the machine or anything).
I may have gotten my versions confused, there is a difference between "no sugar" and "zero sugar". One of them, perhaps zero sugar is identical to diet. The other (no sugar added) has that sucralose added in addition to aspartame. It may be the zero has only aspartame. It's hard to tell as different manufacturers are using different terminology. What remains is that "diet" has fallen out of favor.
From what I can gather, those with sucralose are closer in flavor to the originals. Diet Coke for example , has always had a different taste.

Even when the cannon was changed to only Fridays in Lent, my mother refused to change, she believed the change was a mistake.
Even after the rules were relaxed in 1966, my mother also believed it was a mistake and we ate seafood on Fridays until I moved out in 1969 and went to college. I'm not sure how much longer she continued that tradition after I left. Here in the South, Friday night fish frys were very popular and almost all eating establishments had some version of it. Many still do during the Lenten season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back