Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep issues - something I have largely dodged. Except about 2x per month when I just feel awake all night. Not sure if there is a trigger, but my mind refuses to relax.

My wife lives a different reality, until recently. She was unable to fall asleep, her legs were so restless she was in tears every day.

Finally a doctor prescribed some medicine they use for Parkinson disease. She takes it at bedtime and has experienced excellent sleep ever since, I think she has been on it about 4 months.

Turkey out of the smoker...pork another 15 degrees. Gotta go to physical therapy. Should be close to being done by then. Pics later.
I'm not sure about this smoiking thing. Thing is, I like the taste of turkey, pork & beef. Anytime I eat smoked , all I taste is smoke. Not my fav way to prepare meat .
you could drive around in the snow-blower that's parked outside:
heres mine :
Terry would have real issues with me if we left her car in Texas. Not an option
she can drive hers back while you drive the tesla back !
(and me a Lut-ran!)
You must fly on this airline ?
Capture.JPG
blower sask.jpg

At the cigar lounge enjoying another Rocky Patel and ignoring the back pain. I'll be getting another shot of steroid in the spinal cord tomorrow morning so I can't use pain relief 48 hours prior.
Seems that the Goldwing is less painful to ride than driving the F-150 so I enjoyed the 70 degree wx this morning.

Steve - I always looked forward to our Wed evening soup and sandwich fellowship during lent. Sounds like your group is a bit dull.

More later. Dave LASM

Alas, Dave, my first-ring suburban sheepsies are not yet comfortable with the idea of gathering together over table. So no Soup suppers this year. I agree, those do take the sting out of Lent.

Did I ever mention, and I know I did not, that I served the vacancy in North Branch back in 2014? Seems you are not far from there, or at least your modeling is not - Wyoming, if I recall correctly.

Its been bugging me that I neglected to post a photo this morning, I selected this one, shows off some of my Northern Pacific box cars. There is just a light spray of white along the bottom to dull the finish, also seeing the coal tower was a wood kit.

I still have the coal tower, however it does not move easily. I have reglued several smaller pieces multiple times, may end up scrapped as there is no room on the new layout and kind of sick fixing it.

sorting, reduced.jpg

more later, Dave LASM

Afternoon All,

Worked on a project for the wife today. She wants me to sand a crib for a friend of hers. I got the 2 ends and the base sanded between a power sander and by hand in 3 hours. I figure 2 more days on the project. The wife is attending a quilting convention tomorrow and Friday in Lakeland about 40 minutes from here. I should be back to the layout this weekend.

Joe- Nice consist. I ordered ALTO tower from Micromark last night. Scientific is the kit manufacturer. I plan on putting it on the entrance/exit curve of the peninsula.

George- Nice backdrop. You have some neat memorabilia.

Gary- The ship is fantastic.

Lee- Nice video. I liked the TOFC train.

Steve- Excellent scenes. Where is the club located?

Patrick- That looks really good.

Smudge- I hate when that happens to me

Terry- I hope Marie is improving.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sorry to hear about your sleep issues, Willie. I have occasional issues where my mind won't calm down but most of my issues are related to the prostate (though not necessarily the normal such issues).

Melatonin is sold as a cure-all for sleep issues. That it definitely isn't, and I personally think most people use it wrong.

Not to belabor the Heineken car, but the ÖBB is not an Austrian subsidiary of a German railroad. Now, after the Anschluss in 1938, when Germany "absorbed" Austria, the Austrian railroad was absorbed by the German railroad Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR, DRG up through 1937) and it is surely possible and maybe even likely that German railcars were transferred to Austria and after WW2, when Austria became an independent country again, and the Austrian Railway (ÖBB) was founded, they kept whatever was left of the DR that was left in Austria as their initial rolling stock. So a German railroad as the source of the car is likely. It is a G10-type adapted to beer transport :)

I only belabor it because the European (mostly German, Swiss, and Austrian) railroads are my interest. I don't know much about SD40s, Dash-9, E9, GPxx etc. so have a hard time participating in the detailed discussions :). But I do know a small amount about German and related stuff and am always motivated to learn more when questions come up.

If the car is a "fantasy" car with a made up livery, they did a good job, as it has small inscriptions like "Only for beer transport" and real "Heimats bahnhof" (home station) inscription -- Linz btw,. I suspect it is a model of a real wagon that was leased by Heineken to distribute their beer after the war.

You should try and find its stablemate: https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Brawa/49060.aspx
Marklin also does this wagon in DR livery

Its been bugging me that I neglected to post a photo this morning, I selected this one, shows off some of my Northern Pacific box cars. There is just a light spray of white along the bottom to dull the finish, also seeing the coal tower was a wood kit.

I still have the coal tower, however it does not move easily. I have reglued several smaller pieces multiple times, may end up scrapped as there is no room on the new layout and kind of sick fixing it.

View attachment 142916

more later, Dave LASM
Nice pic Dave thanks for Sharing

Well howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again...
shade.jpg

We gave away our big 10'x13' patio umbrella. Got a 12'x12' sunshade and cabled it between the condo and the detached garage.

Only had to make one trip to the hardware store. The install kit came with 12' long cables, hooks, eyes, etc. But no way to shorten the cables. I needed two at 16in. Not 12ft.

It's up. Now I'm getting used to all the noises as it catches the wind and rattles the hardware.

And on the kamado grill: Over the Top chili

chili.jpg

Told the wife she'll be on her own for adding noodles to it. Noodles aren't primal

Last edited:
Nice consist. I ordered ALTO tower from Micromark last night. Scientific is the kit manufacturer. I plan on putting it on the entrance/exit curve of the peninsula.
Curt: That's cool. I'm staying local, using Walthers Overbrook Tower which will control the Interlocking entering the terminal yard. It's amazing how many different styles of tower were used on the PRR. The Scientific product line has numerous PRR structures. I have several of their passenger shelters.

If I get a chance this evening, I'll dig out my C-628 and C-630, and see how that consist fits. Something tells me the ALCos will be longer than the SD-35s.

Good afternoon, all! A beautiful day, temp just hit 80 on the backyard gauge. I've been mostly lurking since not much as been happening here.
We went to Costco for a few items. Maybe 50% of the folks were wearing masks.
When we returned, I got started on my next structure, TJ Reilly's. It is a Bar Mills kit. At the moment I'm cutting out pieces and cutting the bracing.
1647466319068.png
1647466210080.jpeg

Willie - I got a catalogue with this kit. In N Scale Shipyard Brewing Co. is a full structure, (6"w by 4 1/4" d) going to 1/2 structure in S, HO and O scales. Guess what my next structure is going to be.

Terry - Hope your wife is feeling better.
Dave / Steve - Well you know it is Lent after all.
George - Backdrop looks good.
Gary - Nice Liberty ship. Question, why the guns? My first job after discharge from the CG was as a heavy equipment operator at a shipyard. We had 2 Liberty ship in dry dock for conversion to container carriers. (We made some lifts that would have made osha cringe)
Chad / Smudge - I like Heineken also. The freight car/wagon is nice too.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good Afternoon All. Sunny and 78°; A/C actually kicked on out in the train shed this afternoon.
Not a good day here on the SFW estate. My two-year old tankless electric water heater failed. Rheem sent me a PDF to test various components and we (me and their service rep) determined that one of the heating elements and controller failed. Bummer! The controller apparently went first which caused the heating element to fail. The warranty has been out for a year, but they could send me the parts Fedex in three days. She suggested using Amazon instead, which I did and I will get them tomorrow. Same price with no shipping charges, around $75. Well my wife wasn't going to wait until tomorrow for a hot shower, so I took her and the corresponding granddog to North Dallas to our daughter's home to await her return this evening from their out of town trip.Since today is her birthday, the cake went along instead of waiting for her to retrieve the granddog. I'm either taking a cold shower in the morning, or stopping at a friends house on the way to the grocery store tomorrow. I think that it will take about an hour to replace the parts. Between the troubleshooting and the trip to Dallas, I lost over 6 hours today. But I have a happy wife. I think that I will open a Heineken.

I'm not sure about this smoiking thing. Thing is, I like the taste of turkey, pork & beef. Anytime I eat smoked , all I taste is smoke. Not my fav way to prepare meat .

heres mine :

she can drive hers back while you drive the tesla back !

You must fly on this airline ? View attachment 142913View attachment 142912
I’m a Farm Boy and that’s the first time I’ve seen Combining Snow

Ask and thee shall receive.
View attachment 142936
Afternoon All,

Worked on a project for the wife today. She wants me to sand a crib for a friend of hers. I got the 2 ends and the base sanded between a power sander and by hand in 3 hours. I figure 2 more days on the project. The wife is attending a quilting convention tomorrow and Friday in Lakeland about 40 minutes from here. I should be back to the layout this weekend.

Joe- Nice consist. I ordered ALTO tower from Micromark last night. Scientific is the kit manufacturer. I plan on putting it on the entrance/exit curve of the peninsula.

George- Nice backdrop. You have some neat memorabilia.

Gary- The ship is fantastic.

Lee- Nice video. I liked the TOFC train.

Steve- Excellent scenes. Where is the club located?

Patrick- That looks really good.

Smudge- I hate when that happens to me

Terry- I hope Marie is improving.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks for the complement Curt.I hope to have some more HO Piggybacks soon I’ve been working on some old Athearn 85’ Pig Flats. I love Quilts seems like they warm the soul. I used to sleep with just one in the winter time I must be getting old I have to sleep with two on me now. Hope she has fun. Good luck with the Crib project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back