Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning....Got 3 of 5 updated last night. The updated sound files are nice much of an improvement. The SD40-3's are advanced consists but I just have to make a couple of lighting changes. Getting use to the drive hold feature, makes for realistic operation. I your not sure what I'm talking about here's a video.

Love my job, really I do, honest. Go to pull away and engine cuts out, now it's dead as a dodo, will not start, starter motor not making a sound, boss says Batteries are dead, but all my indicators, warning lights and headlights are bright and shiny. Now having to wait for a mechanic to turn up with a replacement coach, should be here in about 3 hours, (coz I know he's coming the slow way, but the longer route is over an hour quicker, ??) Now I have to sit here freezing the proverbial butt till he gets here. Did I tell you I love my job, honest, I do:(

Good Morning Model Builders of all kinds.......
Looks to be another blustery day on the periphery of the Great Basin.
Flo, a cup of deer camp coffee if you have it please.......
I have been away for a while, a lot of things going on, all good, looking so forward to getting back to the layout. Which I have been able to do, I just put an update in on the Gateway Sub.
I'll have to cruise around the place to find out what's going on with every body.....
HAVE A GREAT DAY, HOPE SOME LAUGHTER COMES YOUR WAY!

Greetings all!

No train work done.

Mentioned a few weeks back I hurt my knee trying to get physically more fit. Ah, yes, the ironies of life, eh? And not to mention God's wry sense of humour!

Still bothering me fiercely, so had wifeykins get me a hurry-up appointment with her hand selected ortho doc. That appt is today at 1330. So pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of . . . . . (and me a Lut-ran!)

Service tonight, long-a$$ meeting tomorrow evening - - no wonder I hate Lent!

Good morning friends! Sunny and 36 heading for sunny and 73. Off work today and tomorrow, then it's back to work Friday for my final day. Just got off the phone with my new boss, the head of IT for the college district who let me know I was "officially" hired by the board last night as expected. I am so excited to get started on this new job!!! This is the kind of work I've wanted to do for so long and now I finally get to do it.

Gonna miss my friends at the current job though. I've developed some great friendships there in the last 2+ years. Hoping to stay in touch, but I know how that goes.

Hope you all have a great day!

Well, howdy there internet MRR peeps

It's Troy again

Weigh-in... Started 226
Down to 223.5 yesterday
up to 225 today

Putting the increase down to snacking on mixed nuts and salami. Both have fats (roasted nuts have veg oil added in roasting) and Salami has sugars added. And I had some dark chocolate pieces. Back to drinking unsweet iced tea.

Figure it's going to be a rocky up and down for a few days until my body gets used to the new meat and veggies only. I've done away with popcorn, sodas, wine and/or whiskey, and licorice bitz.

Monday and Tues I met my step goals of 12K +

Good morning Crew from Wisconsin. High 30’s now with the sun shining. Mid 60’s later today. I plan to walk one of the trails and see how much damage they took this winter season. I also will be collecting branches to create pulp loads for the remaining pulp cars.

The sleep issue, is a big subject that I jumped into yesterday here with both feet. Roughest night of sleep I have had since I started being able to get into bed again on 1/27/2022. I used every technique I have been learning. I was able to get back to sleep and in the bed. All the anxiety issues that manifested from November to January were back.

All weathering projects are done and I have no plans to weather anything until we come back from Texas in later April. The paint booth is being redone as bigger and better. I should have a quote from the HVAC guy in email sometime today. This will be much cheaper then the crazy prices for the same size booths online. The daughter is thrilled as the bigger size will allow her to paint her doll house walls in one piece.
31A81C4B-9DF8-48EA-8B55-3FE08D406D5F.jpeg

TomO

Good Morning!
Be Happy! It's above 29F.
Sherrel - You need to come up for a wellbeing relaxation visit. It's easier to sleep in the 30's than it is in the 80's. Just to keep active and warm during the day, you could drive around in the snow-blower that's parked outside:
VolvoSnowBlow_03-15-2022 (4).JPG

Managed to get another layout table up yesterday, and get on some backing for the 2' back-board installation.
LayoutConst_03-13-2022.JPG

Today, I'd like to build the 31" section that joins those tables.
There will be a river crossing on the left hand side; a bit different style of table. I'd like to get that started today as well.
If I can get that dropped river board built and installed, the rest of the layout tables will continue around to join with that 8 footer on the right.
I intend to build a swing lift-up, at an angle coming off the 8' table.
The 8' table is cut from a 4x8 sheet of birch plywood, because the birch is cheaper than GIS spruce. Also, the back-board will be 1/4" red-oak, because that is also cheaper than the spruce. The hardwoods are old stock and being sold at the old prices.

If the wife don't want to go ice fishing today, I'll be working on the layout tables. I'm having fun getting the train room together!

That's all I have for today, other than thank you for the likes on these simple posts. Time to get to it!

Have a good one!

Well, Boss will not be a happy bunny wabbit with me. Mechanic turns up with another coach (57 seater). Brilliant, swap over, mechanic gets his bag of tools, 'just try starting it for me, yep no problem.........and she bloody well starts first time of asking, WTH!!!!!!
Anyway, the mech's taken it back to our yard, but it's a bit hard to find the fault if it's no longer got the fault.:mad:

Good morning, 38F and rising lt rain.

Flo - healthy breakfast today - oatmeal. 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee please.

NYC George - your backdrop looks great, nice 3d effect

TruckTrain - nice train video

Dakota - super nice logging scene there

Steve - I always looked forward to our Wed evening soup and sandwich fellowship during lent. Sounds like your group is a bit dull.

More later. Dave LASM

Well, Boss will not be a happy bunny wabbit with me. Mechanic turns up with another coach (57 seater). Brilliant, swap over, mechanic gets his bag of tools, 'just try starting it for me, yep no problem.........and she bloody well starts first time of asking, WTH!!!!!!
Anyway, the mech's taken it back to our yard, but it's a bit hard to find the fault if it's no longer got the fault.:mad:
Gremlin... or fuel pump. Had a van that did that once. Pump started overheating and binding. It eventually stopped pumping and turning, so no go. Let it sit for an hour, and it would run again. Until it overheated.

I've now exhausted my engine knowledge. good luck.

Good Morning All. Clear and 44° this morning in North Central Texas. Expecting a high of 80° today and maybe tomorrow, before the next cool front and 60° on Friday.

My doctor visit was yesterday with mixed results. All vital signs are normal, matter of fact my BP is lower than it normally is when I go there. He's still trying to figure out the firmware issue with my shortness of breath, so I am going in for an upper body CT scan on Monday. He patted himself on the back for the BP since he prescribed a new pill for it about 5 weeks ago, until I told him that I hadn't taken it in 3 weeks because it made my mouth too dry to even talk! He had also cut the dose of a different one to make up for the addition. They did a blood draw to look at some things that they skipped last time including the A1C level.

It seems that I am not the only one with some sleep disorders lately. Mine has been coming and going for around 6-7 months. Melatonin does no good for me, nor does the over the counter ones. I have tried CBD-10 lately and it seems to be good for about five hours. My doc prescribed some Temazepam which seems to be better at 6.5 hours, but I really don't want to be taking a controlled substance. I am hoping that it just gets me into a sustainable pattern and then I can stop using it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the Heineken wagon from yesterday; Troy, Sherrel, Karl, Patrick, Steve J, Joe, Guy, Lee, Tom O, Dave B, Hughie, James, Gary, Louis, Smudge, IB Ken, Rick, Tom, George, OB Ken.

The main reason that my BIL bought me that car is because my beer of choice is Heineken. Oh! But what a can of worms I opened. Here's what I remember from the background included with it, which I cannot locate right now: It is from a German railroad's Austrian subsidiary and is a Type II unit. That housing unit is a brakeman's shanty, but is translated in German as guard shack...guarding the brakes and is raised so the occupant can send visual signals to the engineer. No one is really guarding the contents of the "refrigerated goods wagon".

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did very little. Between doctor visit (and other errands) and doing stuff in the garden I only left myself enough time to run a few trains and no modeling or infrastructure.
posts here recently regarding track radius tools. Here's mine that's over 35 years old.
IMG_0569.JPG

It came from a defunct big box lumber place called Payless Cashways, courtesy the pink fiberglass people, Owens.
Troy -
Weigh-in Update:

Was 226
Now 223.5

The first several pounds are usually water-weight from dumping carbs.
That's usually my results when I trim my beard and get a haircut!;)
Sherrel - Sad to read about Kate's cousin. I have known a couple of non-relatives that went that way.
Guy - Enjoy the ice fishing expedition today. Stay warm.
Tom O - Yes, you are right about San Antonio being a great friendly place. Despite it's size, I like the place as well. In San Antonio, like Ft Worth, they preserve the old buildings and use them forever. In Dallas and Houston, they bulldoze them down and build some glass enclosed structure instead. Austin is kind of in-between. That Tesla place is a behemoth!
Some of my Ethanol plant is going to have to be backdrop structures I think. I haven't decided the whole setup yet because I only have the loading ramps so far. I have room for several full tank models, but not a full-fledged facility.
Chad - I am not sure that the Heineken car is an authentic model of a real one. Could be like the old Athearn blue box cars and just represents something they know will sell.

Gotta stop this post for now, I have visitors.

Everybody have a great day.

Putting the increase down to snacking on mixed nuts and salami. Both have fats (roasted nuts have veg oil added in roasting) and Salami has sugars added. And I had some dark chocolate pieces. Back to drinking unsweet iced tea.

You WANT the fats. That is how your body will get energy n low carb diet.

Your fluctuations are just normal. I bet dollars to donuts you just have extra water in your body on your latest weigh-in. Maybe the salt in the salami and nuts helped you retain a little bit of extra water or maybe you just haven't pee-ed enough before weigh-in.

Small daily fluctuations are normal. If you cycle between 222 and 227 and are always in that band, I wouldn't worry about the minor ups or downs. Just try and get the trend down over time. 220--225 after a couple weeks. 217-222 after a couple more, etc.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 44° this morning in North Central Texas. Expecting a high of 80° today and maybe tomorrow, before the next cool front and 60° on Friday.

My doctor visit was yesterday with mixed results. All vital signs are normal, matter of fact my BP is lower than it normally is when I go there. He's still trying to figure out the firmware issue with my shortness of breath, so I am going in for an upper body CT scan on Monday. He patted himself on the back for the BP since he prescribed a new pill for it about 5 weeks ago, until I told him that I hadn't taken it in 3 weeks because it made my mouth too dry to even talk! He had also cut the dose of a different one to make up for the addition. They did a blood draw to look at some things that they skipped last time including the A1C level.

It seems that I am not the only one with some sleep disorders lately. Mine has been coming and going for around 6-7 months. Melatonin does no good for me, nor does the over the counter ones. I have tried CBD-10 lately and it seems to be good for about five hours. My doc prescribed some Temazepam which seems to be better at 6.5 hours, but I really don't want to be taking a controlled substance. I am hoping that it just gets me into a sustainable pattern and then I can stop using it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the Heineken wagon from yesterday; Troy, Sherrel, Karl, Patrick, Steve J, Joe, Guy, Lee, Tom O, Dave B, Hughie, James, Gary, Louis, Smudge, IB Ken, Rick, Tom, George, OB Ken.

The main reason that my BIL bought me that car is because my beer of choice is Heineken. Oh! But what a can of worms I opened. Here's what I remember from the background included with it, which I cannot locate right now: It is from a German railroad's Austrian subsidiary and is a Type II unit. That housing unit is a brakeman's shanty, but is translated in German as guard shack...guarding the brakes and is raised so the occupant can send visual signals to the engineer. No one is really guarding the contents of the "refrigerated goods wagon".

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did very little. Between doctor visit (and other errands) and doing stuff in the garden I only left myself enough time to run a few trains and no modeling or infrastructure.
posts here recently regarding track radius tools. Here's mine that's over 35 years old.
View attachment 142894
It came from a defunct big box lumber place called Payless Cashways, courtesy the pink fiberglass people, Owens.
Troy -

That's usually my results when I trim my beard and get a haircut!;)
Sherrel - Sad to read about Kate's cousin. I have known a couple of non-relatives that went that way.
Guy - Enjoy the ice fishing expedition today. Stay warm.
Tom O - Yes, you are right about San Antonio being a great friendly place. Despite it's size, I like the place as well. In San Antonio, like Ft Worth, they preserve the old buildings and use them forever. In Dallas and Houston, they bulldoze them down and build some glass enclosed structure instead. Austin is kind of in-between. That Tesla place is a behemoth!
Some of my Ethanol plant is going to have to be backdrop structures I think. I haven't decided the whole setup yet because I only have the loading ramps so far. I have room for several full tank models, but not a full-fledged facility.
Chad - I am not sure that the Heineken car is an authentic model of a real one. Could be like the old Athearn blue box cars and just represents something they know will sell.

Gotta stop this post for now, I have visitors.

Everybody have a great day.
Not a can of worms Willie a lively debate is always welcome. I've pinched your photo of the Heineken, sent it to a friend of mine in Germany who models the DR around the same period the wagon would have been used. Something Chad said piqued my interest, so I've asked his opinion on it, hope you don't mind.

Sorry to hear about your sleep issues, Willie. I have occasional issues where my mind won't calm down but most of my issues are related to the prostate (though not necessarily the normal such issues).

Melatonin is sold as a cure-all for sleep issues. That it definitely isn't, and I personally think most people use it wrong.

Not to belabor the Heineken car, but the ÖBB is not an Austrian subsidiary of a German railroad. Now, after the Anschluss in 1938, when Germany "absorbed" Austria, the Austrian railroad was absorbed by the German railroad Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR, DRG up through 1937) and it is surely possible and maybe even likely that German railcars were transferred to Austria and after WW2, when Austria became an independent country again, and the Austrian Railway (ÖBB) was founded, they kept whatever was left of the DR that was left in Austria as their initial rolling stock. So a German railroad as the source of the car is likely. It is a G10-type adapted to beer transport :)

I only belabor it because the European (mostly German, Swiss, and Austrian) railroads are my interest. I don't know much about SD40s, Dash-9, E9, GPxx etc. so have a hard time participating in the detailed discussions :). But I do know a small amount about German and related stuff and am always motivated to learn more when questions come up.

If the car is a "fantasy" car with a made up livery, they did a good job, as it has small inscriptions like "Only for beer transport" and real "Heimats bahnhof" (home station) inscription -- Linz btw,. I suspect it is a model of a real wagon that was leased by Heineken to distribute their beer after the war.

You should try and find its stablemate: https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Brawa/49060.aspx

Willie. hope you can get that sleep problem under control. I’ve been dealing with long Covid now 16 months I got a CT scan last year showed I have a enlarged heart and my lungs have been damaged from Covid pneumonia some nights I just can’t go to sleep found out that’s one of the symptoms of Long Covid is insomnia I’ve never been like that before so I know how you feel with tbe shortness of breath and can’t sleep. Playing with my Trains is always good therapy for me.

Dave. Thanks for the complement I really enjoy making videos of my trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back