Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers, it's 57*F under partly cloudy skies with a 6mph ESE breeze on my central MD property.

Thanks for all the likes & comments on my Sunday post - Joe, Jaz, Phil, Patrick, Karl, Tom (Cambr.), Gary, Garry, Tom-O, Sherrell, Hughie

Karl -
Holy s___! I didn't notice until just now that your son is in the hospital for Covid!:eek: Hopefully they're able to just give him oxygen and not put him on a ventilator. Will add him to the the prayer list ASAP 🙏.

Terry - Got you and Marie on the prayer list as well! 🙏

Justin - Nice to hear your wife is happy being there in WV. Along a similar vein, my son-I-L is a California native; grew up in a beachfront community just south of L.A. Like your wife, he left his home state to move to Maryland since my daughter was getting depressed being away from her family & friends. Fell in love with the region in short order; loves the hunting he can do here, in fact he even bought a cabin near Keyser, WV, but sold it last year so he could pay off his house before the baby arrived.

Another 2-o'clock Tuesday has come and gone. Signed off from work at 2pm as I do every Tuesday, then took a drive west to Frederick to pick up on order of paints and other supplies from the Hobbytown there that I'd ordered online. Original plan for the return trip was to make a brief stop at the supermarket, then do some more touch-up work on my F7 shell while the dinner was in the oven. Instead, I got to spend almost an hour parked on I-70E with several hundred other vehicles shortly after this incident happened: https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/crime_and_justice/cops_and_crime/fuel-truck-crashes-catches-fire-on-i-70-near-mount-airy/article_c8f237ed-3e06-597f-99e4-29f323c0d873.html
Eventually a state trooper came down the westbound lane and told everybody [thru his megaphone] to back up and turn around, since that mess wasn't gonna be cleared any time soon. Then I spent another hour crawling along the back roads with all the other displaced vehicles to find my way home. Sometimes things just don't turn out the way you planned. Gotta admit though, it was a lot worse for the truck driver...:(

Good morning all,
A great drive home yesterday, my route follows the rail and the rails were full alongside the Bedford basin.

AF72E7C2-F75D-47C5-A577-953C93311768.jpeg
The drive in during the morning fog was nice as well, as one of our submarines was out and they are a lot more rare.
DF5F338F-16B4-4816-83AF-46686A54B794.jpeg

Morning.
It's 2:30am and I can't sleep, so I thought I'd make a pass through here; just to see if the lights were on.
Haven't been around for a-bit. Not modeling and suffering with a few cutting issues that have reared their ugly heads to make life miserable.
Not going to get into it, as life's little problems pale to what I'm seeing in here. So sad to hear about Karl's son and Terry's wife. God's speed in recovery. Prayers are presently being sent across the border without delay.

I've been doing lots of walking in the forest, as I can think clearly out in the peaceful tranquility of the land. I did skid by the local CN yard the other day and took a few photos of the current engines being used as local switchers. Here is a number of them for your study and enjoyment:
SD40-2W and an SD75 I:
CN 5329_5678_03-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5329_SD40-2W_03-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5329_SD40-2W_03-18-2021 (2).jpg

CN 5678_5329_03-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5678_SD75 I_03-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5678_SD75 I_03-18-2021 (2).jpg

Some good news: I've got a new, more advanced camera; a Fuji. Haven't used it yet, but, I hope get to the CN staging yard soon and take a massive number of photos.
Need to wait until the weather clears up some, as we are into a squalid weather pattern at this time.

Some good photos have been posted these past days, anyway. Well done!
I drop in again soon enough. Hope better fortunes are ahead!

Good morning. It's extremely foggy and 54. NWS has a fog advisory in effect until 11 this morning.
I've been awake since 3:30, and decided to get up and do something, even if it's wrong.
The hospital was going to perform an MRI at some point over night, they haven't called me to make the results known, but I know they have more patients there than my wife to deal with, so I'll try to contain myself until we go in around 9, when they try to remove the vent.
Most of my wife's immediate family and I had a conference call last night, where I updated everybody at once on what had happened to that point, what I know and don't know, and confirmed her advanced directives. They all said they understood, and since I was the person at the scene, it should be my call as to what happens in that regard, and when. This isn't the first time I've had to be in this position, and it's very sobering to know you hold someone's life in your hands, literally. It's even worse than the military, where you at least are in a position of ordering a conscious person into harm's way, This is a loved one, and having to decide what to do without their being able to agree with your decision makes it much worse.

Good morning. It's extremely foggy and 54. NWS has a fog advisory in effect until 11 this morning.
I've been awake since 3:30, and decided to get up and do something, even if it's wrong.
The hospital was going to perform an MRI at some point over night, they haven't called me to make the results known, but I know they have more patients there than my wife to deal with, so I'll try to contain myself until we go in around 9, when they try to remove the vent.
Most of my wife's immediate family and I had a conference call last night, where I updated everybody at once on what had happened to that point, what I know and don't know, and confirmed her advanced directives. They all said they understood, and since I was the person at the scene, it should be my call as to what happens in that regard, and when. This isn't the first time I've had to be in this position, and it's very sobering to know you hold someone's life in your hands, literally. It's even worse than the military, where you at least are in a position of ordering a conscious person into harm's way, This is a loved one, and having to decide what to do without their being able to agree with your decision makes it much worse.
Following another’s wishes that might break your own heart is really hard been there done that with my dad, hope to never have to make such a choice for my husband, thoughts are with you,do not forget to eat or drink however cut up you are,and try to sleep when you can because you need your strength for this, said before the emoticons suck we need a hug emoticon, that said 6 years ago my dad was in icu and had 4 organ failure and we refused to turn him off threatened legal action, he had 4 more good years and the last one ups and downs,he was glad to go in the end,his choice,but we got 4 more that he enjoyed, you’ll likely feel bad whatever the outcome,you follow your own conscience, and do not let anyway beat you up over it,best wishes.

Good morning gang,

Happy hump day!!🐪🐫🐪🐫🐪🐫

Terry, more prayers for you and Marie. I can't imagine your position right now, and I wont pretend to. Just know we are all here for you brother should the need arise.

#1 son is stable, on meds and steroids, If he keeps on this path, they may kick him out by the weekend. We'll see. Thanks to all for the prayers and wishes.

Mrr wise. Touchup done on the 2-8-0, decaling is beginning!

L8ter!

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° this morning. Rain that was originally in today's forecast has been pushed back to after nightfall.
My daughter came by yesterday evening to pick up the granddog who has been vacationing at our home for the last 12 days. Score was 10 good days and two not so good. She puked in the house the first day and did some digging in the garden one day. I am sure that she couldn't wait to get back home to see my grandsons, but she will miss being able to sprint at will here.
It looks like my asparagus patch has come to life again this spring, picked my first one yesterday.
Otherwise, I spent nearly half a day setting up the new computer and copying files. The music file alone took an hour (174G). And then all of the other stuff that I use, Classic Windows Shell, Open Office, AVG anti-virus, AdBlock, and some audio manipulating software. Today I will work on recovering some of the picture files that I loaded onto the forum. I think that I have figured out how to do that, but I will still look for an easier way than I have found. Then I will try to re-create the lost information for my gardening spreadsheet.
Two eggs over easy, a handful of bacon and a toasted English Muffin this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes regarding the tree house (and maybe the scales) yesterday; Justin, Tom O, Karl, Garry, Patrick, Hughie, Rick, Jaz, Tom, Gary Phil, Sherrel, Joe, Ken, Guy.

Yesterday was run trains day in the train shed. My daughter hadn't seen them in a couple of years and wanted to take some videos with her phone. Prior to and after that I worked on painting some figures since I still had everything out from the tree house build. Too soon for progress pictures. I haven't forgotten about the area on the upper level of the east wall that I just finished ballasting, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Since I have decided to add some elevation to it, just 1/4"; I have to get out the proper tools and set up the temporary outdoor workbench.
So let's go back to the archives to see what I might have been doing in 2016. It looks like I was building the Ashmore Hotel. Here's a few shots prior to being located in the city of Ft Wish.
10-05-16 001.JPG

There are a lot of windows in this place.
10-05-16 012.JPG

10-05-16 003.JPG

This is a Walther's kit that had nearly 250 windows and doors.
10-05-16 022.JPG

Garry - I was a bit apprehensive about the tree house, specifically the "tree" part. The foliage net was a bit tricky but it actually went better than I expected. I am not completely happy with the tree trunk coloring, but I will wait until I see it in the actual scene before I make any adjustments.
Ken - Bummer that the traffic accident spoiled your plans, sadly yes, the truck driver fared worse.
Terry - May the Good Lord guide you in your decisions.

Everybody have a great hump day. Be safe and stay well.

All sort of quite here on the Western Front - Prayers for all concerned with family and health issues.
Supposed to be 70 degrees with clear and sun today.
FLO, just a couple breakfast burritos to go this morning with a large coffee. I have to get the CRV into the mechanic for service this morning and then to the recycle place for literally a carload of drink containers to try and get back a little of what the tariff is when they are bought, Supposed to get back the 5 and 10 cents on each, but they weigh them and the consumer comes up shy - another government tax of sorts.
Then a stop at the grocery for some much needed stuff, then to the hardware for another of the Spousal Unit's project.

Glad to see GUY back with us - I had began to worry that the constantable had nabbed him again?

As JUSTIN says - I'll try and stop back by again!
Have a great day all!

At least you got something , here 4,600 doses/wk for 250,000 people , at that rate they should done by May of 2022 . We now have websites for making appointments on the appointments website.

Waiting in line , to wait in line.

Next appointment ...June.

And that's why I traveled 290 miles one way to get myself and the kids their shots. Couldn't do it local at the time of the first shot (kids still can't) but a western KS county is setting appointments for anyone that wants one. Daughter has in-laws in the area that helped us know about them giving shots to any and all. Also why a county of 2,500 is giving 4000 shots.....lol

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and periods of down pours and thunder last night. The robins are out in force and the usual amount of Redwing Blackbirds is down in numbers. More rain today....better than snow.

Thinking of all those who are facing health concerns and my hopes for speedy recoveries.

Looks like a day at the computer finishing and printing my taxes. First time in years that I'm getting a refund check from the Feds.

Time is coming to transition Riley from using Potty Pads inside to doing her job outside. Katie our previous dog, we brought home on a Saturday when she was 8 weeks old and by Monday afternoon she was housebroken.

We planning our first trip to the cabin to start the opening. We keep the heat off when we're not there so freezing of the water pipes is always a concern and the pump house isn't heated either. One Spring we turned on the water and one morning the temperature was 6 degrees and nothing froze. I guess the temperature drop was so fast and short along with the small amount of heat from the ground and cabin concrete slab helped keep the temperatures above those on the outside. I usually wait until I hear the campgrounds have turned on their water systems before I do mine which is April 15th or so.

I sure like those new auto rack cars by Scale Trains, but my radius will not handle them at all. Maybe I get one or two to park on a siding??? I see a bunch of them on a CP siding near our house.

1616600033958.png

I found this photograph and it is one of my favorites. I since installed another flashing signal on the other side of the tracks. The lighting is a mix of incandescent and LED's by Woodland. The roadway was just a cardboard strip that I covered with plaster and painted faded asphalt color. I cascade ground foam over the edges of the fascia ala Howard Zane.

When I attached the ground foam to the fascia, I used to use Walther's GOO, but found cheap contact cement at $1.00 a tube worked just as well.-Greg

Not much more to report today.

Greg

#######

1616600629192.png

The trackwork near the Omro Junk Yard and the spur leading to the old terminal-Greg

We are halfway there fellers. Well for those of us still working to make our way. Lost the GP9 auction. I bid my max and stuck with my guns on it. Why I typically dont do bid auctions. I'm surprised that the auction didnt explode at the end. GP9s and 7s painted for the C&O are very slim at the moment. It's been that way since December. So any that pop up go fast! Not only fast but for a lot of money! I fell victim to this as well. I spent way more than I wanted for my GP9. At the time it was the only one available. Now theres a few up right now but they are in Great Britain? They ain't here in the states let's say. So their price is way way way more than anyone wants to pay. Going back to the GP9. It sold for $56. My P2K GP7 I bought for $57. Comparing the two side by side my GP7 wins hands down. So I dont count this as a loss as I really dont need anymore locomotives. I'm looking more at growing the hopper fleet and scenery items. With that I'm all out of stuff to talk about. I didnt work on the layout last night. I just didnt feel up to it. I ran some laps. Brought out my C&O painted GP35 and observed how it would respond to my newly acquired throttles. It performs well enough to get some run time on the layout if need be. Be better once I work the two turnouts I have that need pulled off the layout entirely. I might get to those tonight I dont know. Having to redo stuff because of shoddy 2x4s is annoying. Anyways that's all i have for now. I'll stop by later if i get a chance.
Terry i do hope your wife is doing well and gets better.

Good Morning all! A drizzly morning with a cool breeze. Rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow.
I think I'd like an order of French Toast with a couple of slices of Canadian bacon, Irish coffee, Scottish marmalade on Jewish rye.
Terry & Karl - Prayers for you and your families.
Willie - I have a 2T external hard drive that is on our home network. It's Wi-fi accessible for all our computers and tablets. Anything that truly needs saving goes to that hd. ( 460G videos, 322G music, 46G photos)
I'll try to get a Sculpamold report later today.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Terry: Prayers for you guys and especially for your wife.

--

Off in a few moments for a 10-12 hour drive (10 + stops) to Phoenix where y son has a Speedo Sectionals Swim Meet for a multi region mountain and upper west regions. I'll stop in while in Arizona when I can. Lots of down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back