Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news

Got the strong tone applied, and a dusting of khaki dry brushed over the Soviet Army models. Colored the molotovs, and I added a flesh tone wash to the fleshy bits. I'll dry brush on light flesh, as well as some gun-metal to the weapons, and then detail out the straps. That will call them done except for basing and dull coating.
Yes they look like their ready to carry out Comrade Molotov's foreign policy initiatives.

Greetings, Shop Dwellers! It's 54*F under mostly clear skies with a 9mph SSE wind at my central MD abode.

A tip o' the hat to each of you who clicked the button on my Sunday mini-post - Jerry, Joe, Tom (Cambria), Phil, Hughie, Patrick, Jaz, Guy, TomO, Sherrell

Lots of interesting conversations and photos over the past 2 days! It took me over an hour to get thru them all and now I'm running behind on writing my own post!

Mikey - the main problem you're dealing with is, you're just too dam good at what you do!

Sherrell - Sure does seem like those lifeguards are grossly overpaid; but aren't housing prices [and the CA cost of living in general] also obscenely high? I've often wondered how can anybody but a Silicon Valley CEO can afford to live there...

Didn't do any mrr stuff this afternoon, I was busy "summer-izing" the snow blower - siphoned out as much leftover gasoline as possible, and let the motor burn up what was left in the fuel line. Also had my mower picked up by my local small engine mechanic for the annual pre-season maintenance, apparently just in the nick of time too; he says he'll have it back to me in a week. He anticipates that by COB Friday, his backlog will be 4 to 6 weeks! Still have a lot of other yard chores in front of me, including cutting up and clearing away a number of branches that got blown off our trees over the winter. Those and my mower blades don't get along terribly well.

I did, however, find time to finish the external work on my project Stewart F7 model, all that remains now is for me to put the correct horn sound in it, a Nathan M-3 like the majority of B&O F-units had. Of course when the photo of my prototype unit was shot in 1974, the M-3 had been replaced by a leftover Leslie 3-chimer. I shot a few pics of the model with my cell phone camera, but I couldn't do it on the layout because it's in such deplorable condition with too many background eyesores - so my workbench had to suffice.

First, the prototype in 1974: http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo4598goa.jpg :
...and an earlier shot from ~1963: http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo4598alb.jpg (Notice the Nathan M-3 horn)

I didn't directly insert the proto images since I don't want to run afoul of the rr-fallenflags.org webmaster's copyright policy.

Now, the model:
View attachment 126492

View attachment 126493
(There actually is a piece of "glass" over that twin-beam headlight, just hard to see it at this angle!)

This was shot under normal layout lighting, so any subtle color differences are somewhat washed-out:
View attachment 126494

Been sitting at the 'puter for too long and now my legs are starting to feel stiff, so I hafta run - g'nite!
Ken the F-units look sweet! Can I run them next time?? Please!!!

At 11:44am, it's still morning here; so, Good Morning again!

Thought I'd drop in for a coffee break and share a few photos that I took yesterday in the local CN staging yard.
Thanks for all the likes on my posts over these last few days.

Willie - I do hope you're not getting cranky because I rib you for shorting us on photos. It's all in fun, just so you know. - Ever since I've been coming in here, you are the one that has repeatedly posted many, many photos of you're outstanding layout. That has been so duly noted and appreciated. If I only see one or two photos from you, I start wondering if you are ill, or if something terrible has happened. I've always liked you're photos.
Bye-the-way, I noted the outhouse detail right away. That detail is very realistic, as a photo taken this very morning proves:
03-31-2021.JPG

Ken - You're work on those B&O locomotives is fantastic. Well done, indeed! I only hope I have so much patience when it comes time to weather a locomotive.

Greg - I always thought that if you mix gasoline with diesel into a diesel engine, it might risk that engine to blow itself up. At least, that's what I saw on a 'Baywatch' episode, when some yo-yo filled a diesel running boat up with gasoline. And you can believe everything you see on TV.;)

Anyway, here are some photos I took yesterday. This Occidental Chemical Corp funnel tank car has recently received fresh paint. I was attracted to it because of it's color. The plate says it's carrying sodium hydroxide solution:
HOKX 111444_03-30-2021 (1).jpg

HOKX 111444_03-30-2021 (2).jpg

HOKX 111444_03-30-2021 (3).jpg

And here is a comparison photo of the car in 2014. Photo is attributed to Mr. Pat Huemmer, and was borrowed from RR.net:

HOKX 111444_08-08-2014.jpg

That's all I have for today. The wife is going to make me rake the lawn; I believe she has some kind of weapon to enslave me.
See ya'll later!

Greg - I always thought that if you mix gasoline with diesel into a diesel engine, it might risk that engine to blow itself up. At least, that's what I saw on a 'Baywatch' episode, when some yo-yo filled a diesel running boat up with gasoline. And you can believe everything you see on TV.;)

Tom: the practice of using gasoline to thin diesel fuel requires some experience and the owner of the company and equipment issued orders on how much gasoline to diesel could be used. And, yes straight or too much gasoline would destroy an diesel engine.

Greg

Good afternoon from my side of Wisconsin, west of Greg. We are at the predicted high of 39 but the wind is moving pretty damn good so it feels like 25f degrees. We need rain.

Guy, nice pictures especially like that you found the before and after. In the garage picture is that the stolen bike?

Greg, which mall were you at? Sounds like Brookfield.

Willie, love that you have so many pictures of the layout to post.

I am painting wheels today. And I don’t have enough. Need to search online for Intermountain as my addiction enabler has zip in the store and nothing in the pipeline. LHS’s are great crept when they are not!

enjoy the day
TomO

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.23.11 PM.png
Grill has arrived, and I put some charcoal in it just to burn off any residual yuk it might have been shipped with. Got it up to 350° F with that small amount.

One of the shelf brackets wasn't bent correctly. Normally, I'd just bend it to make it fit... but, it's attached to a steel band around a large ceramic cylinder. Probably not a good idea to put extra torque on that band.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.56.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.57.50 PM.png

Greg, which mall were you at? Sounds like Brookfield.

Tom: I was the Senior Operations Manager for Mayfair and the office complex for 39+ years and also at Southgate Mall in Milwaukee from the late 70's to 1982 at which time we stopped managing the Southgate Mall after selling it in 1980.

It was a very interesting experience and it allow me to do some travel and advanced education in shopping center management by attending week long seminars in cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Orlando at Disney World.

It doesn't seem like I was there for all those years.

Greg

View attachment 126534Grill has arrived, and I put some charcoal in it just to burn off any residual yuk it might have been shipped with. Got it up to 350° F with that small amount.

One of the shelf brackets wasn't bent correctly. Normally, I'd just bend it to make it fit... but, it's attached to a steel band around a large ceramic cylinder. Probably not a good idea to put extra torque on that band.

View attachment 126532

View attachment 126533
The grill looks real nice,,,,,would look even better with steaks on it!!

Howdy everybody.

I have been busy trying to catch up with NMRS (Non Model Railroad Stuff), and have not had much time remaining to comment here. Now, I'm trying to catch up with you all.

Willie .... I like your layout photos. Yesterday's downtown buildings seem to have life becasaue you include 1/87 people. The beauty shop looks nice in today's pictures.

Greg ..... I like your lighted interlocking tower.

Sherrel ...... I suppose family photos will be better without masks. I wonder why they are needed outside.

Ken .... Your F7 project looks great.

Karl .... I like your lash-up with F-units and GP-units (I think) .

Regarding conversations about diesel engines and cold weather, my Atheran Genesis GP7's include block heater details. Look at this photo of CB&Q 251 behind the fireman side of the cab. There is a box with a silver exhaust pipe extending upward. That represents the block heater which was on all CB&Q GP7's and GP9's. This allowed for the prime mover to be shut down when a locomotive ws to be parked overnight in the winter. CB&Q SD7's and SD9's also had block heaters, but they were inside the hood, and only the exhaust stacks were visible.

37055458846_a9a898fc88_k.jpg

Everybody ..... Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back