Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.....Thanks Willie, I'll have a coffee with you before I head off to work.

The long range is typical for March, we really don't start seeing nice weather till we get past ST. Patrick's day, seems we get some type of snow around that time or before as a last hurrah.

Morning all,

Clear and 27° this morning, expected high of 58° and 60's the remainder of the week.

Played electrician over the weekend. Swapping old outlets and switches for nice shiny new ones. Found 1 outlet box that had me concerned as both the hot and neutral wires were not only touching, but the insulation between them had been melted as well. 2 layers of heat shrink took care of the issue. The boy asked what would have caused something like that and I said based on proximity to the window, probably a window air conditioner. The central A/C unit is at least 12 years old, so it was probably older than that. I'm surprised the hadn't caught fire. New outlet is working fine. Still have the living room and utility room to go, with 1 stray outlet in the kitchen.

Now I gotta go read the walls at the old place.

Last edited:
Morning!

Just stopping into the new place for a couple of coffee and say howdy! Promised my 85yr old neighbor I'd skid over to his place and clean his sidewalk of snow first thing this morning, before it melts and turns to ice. He's got pigs valves in his heart, and I don't like seeing him over-do it.
It's 26°F right now, and heading up into the mid 40's. - Falling snow should be done for now.

So I suppose I'll head over there before day-light, and get it done!

Since I don't have any recent modeling photos, I thought I'd drop down a photo of my latest acquisition. The photo is about a month old now. This Genesis GP9 gives me a total of 6 HO locomotives; 2 for the G-kids and 4 for me. - That's a start, anyway, considering I don't even have a layout yet to run them on. I am trying to correct that situation.
AtheranGenesisGP9.jpg

So, there's the first photo in the new shop! And it even deals with the hobby.

Well, gotta grab the snow-shovel and get to work. Catch ya later!

Wow, the new place looks like the old place but cleaner. Mel, when was the health department here last? Really! Ok, I don’t care, I am here for the bacon, the English muffin, a diet Dr Pepper and good company. Flo, per Guy Fieri of Diners, Dine Inns and Dives tv fame, I need 9 pieces to appreciate the taste. The first 3 set the tone, the next 3 to enhance and the final 3 set that flavor. I just love the taste.

The pictures have been less but still wonderful. I love the layout pictures. Before and after are cool. I took them but saved them on a failed external drive. I should be able to retrieve them per the son. He will work on it when he gets here if I remember them.

The prototype pictures are always interesting in both color or b/w. Please keep posting.

guy, your rail yard and up close loco photos and Boris’s are the best of the real.

22f degrees now in So. Central Wisconsin with a high later of 24. The wind is back big time making the wind chill feel like 9.

Not sure what the day has planned as I have no clue.

Below is a portion of the layout looking from what is now the grain complex and before the new LED’s were installed.

TomO

53E21C92-C9C0-4299-AFFA-6319188759EA.jpeg

Good morning y'all. I see I've missed quite a bit of action in my absence, I will try to catch up. The wet weather has returned once again after a beautiful weekend. Yesterday was quite pleasant. So much so that we spent the day at Chester State Park after church. It was far too nice of a day to spend it indoors.

Flo- Coffee and bacon please.

Now to find a corner that smells less like wet paint.

So we move to a new room, so what happens to the old rooms? are they recycled or just lined up in a long smelly mess, wouldn’t it be easier to get a daily in? Still it encourages us to stay current,do the files get deleted after a while? So if you see something you like you’d to keep, then move it to a place you can record it?
FYI I joined two new railway forums recently so if I accidentally repost an item slap me but not so hard as to make me senseless :p

C4F02027-8271-4571-9E3F-1DFC7D1EECE2.jpeg

4D13B527-9491-4371-9089-6EA3FC194C9C.jpeg

1827C06D-0D4C-4188-811E-A90CDE29B205.jpeg
7DC3FD03-2271-467C-BC31-2F8E686E18F0.jpeg
E55A850E-7501-4F43-9527-59809C849278.jpeg
86DE8BCD-95D2-4527-8AF6-B3BC8389A979.jpeg
2DB8DB77-B4BD-4349-97C0-5FD8FB864355.jpeg
D65335C7-D87C-44F1-BD22-201F5A8DDB1D.jpeg
0CAB4DA8-1B05-473B-A362-FFC1AC849C58.jpeg

now to be fair if you think that’s a LOT of detail remember it is for 00 1 to 76
and even then it would be 150 feet which is one of our giant trees plus O gauge could use this and I decided it looked too big and moved it away frombuildings
F6DD467F-9292-4326-85BA-E257AAF2B32B.jpeg

Last edited:
19F but it looks to be a sunny or partially sunny day. 7:30AM. Much colder than St George. Time to get ready for morning meetings. Most work meetings are mornings as our teams are in Ft Wayne, Toronto, and Bangalore India. I am the only one here out west, in a remote office.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 45°. It's raining at the Weather Underground station about a mile away, but not here...it's widely scattered and very light. I did get about 100 onion slips planted yesterday before the meager rain and cold front hit. Only .15" in the rain gauge, just enough to keep it mucky where there is no ground cover. Since the ground is already rather wet, the onions will be fine.
After all of the plumbing work that we had done, it was quite a surprise to hear an additional leak yesterday. It turned out to be behind the wall in the utility room, not related to any of the other work that was done. Plumber was out within an hour of my call (on Sunday no less) and replaced a three foot section of pipe in less than an hour. Cost=$95. I'll have to go in this week and replace the piece of sheetrock that was removed since it got wet to begin with. I think that I have a spare piece large enough already.

Just the usual for me this morning Flo, a pair of over easy eggs and a handful of bacon with a tall cool glass of OJ.

Thanks a whole lot for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's archive posting; Tom O, Tom, Rick, Karl, Phil, Justin, Gary, Garry, Ken, Hughie, Sherrel, Jaz, Patrick.

Another no-show day in the train shed due to the plumbing adventure. I was the helper yesterday. Let's do another before and after series.
This is a 2' x 2' peninsula that I put into place for adding a small town.
09-16-18 001.JPG

I decided to make it all laser cut wood structures from Bar Mills, American Model Builders, JL Innovative and Blair Line. Here's the lineup.
09-16-18 003.JPG

Here's the result including a small park that's blocked by the yellow structure.
IMG_5691.JPG

View from the other side.
IMG_5692.JPG

George - Congratulations on your new window installation. Window E is a good company, they were competitors with my company, but they are a bit pricey. However energy savings over single pane windows should pay back within five years. Yours appear to be a double pane vinyl unit, good choice.
Mike - Don't leave us hanging with the concussion reference. Best wishes.
Greg - That's the only picture of that night. If someone has a video then I don't know about it. Two years later my son got married in San Antonio, the only picture of me is one of me dancing with my sister in law, long after I had already removed my suit coat. But since both you and PV Dave asked, here it is.
05-04-14 070.JPG

Thankfully I have lost 40+ pounds since then, and the clothes no longer fit!

Everybody have a great day. Stay negative and stay safe.

So we move to a new room, so what happens to the old rooms? are they recycled or just lined up in a long smelly mess, wouldn’t it be easier to get a daily in? Still it encourages us to stay current,do the files get deleted after a while? So if you see something you like you’d to keep, then move it to a place you can record it?
Jaz - Yes we move to a new Coffee Shop at the beginning of each month. Nothing goes away. All pictures that are loaded directly to this site are preserved. Those from third party hosts might be troublesome but not because of this website. Anytime that I see a posted photo that I like, I right-click on it and save it to my own "Inspiration" folder elsewhere on my computer. That saves me the trouble of searching for it except the file folder is rather full.
We used to go until there were ~1000 posts, but that was too cumbersome for some patrons.

Greg - That's the only picture of that night. If someone has a video then I don't know about it. Two years later my son got married in San Antonio, the only picture of me is one of me dancing with my sister in law, long after I had already removed my suit coat. But since both you and PV Dave asked, here it is.

I think a name change is in order and from now you'll be known as Disco Willie.

Good morning ya’ll! Beautiful day in the neighborhood. Had some rain last night and another shower just this morning. The boss lady informs me that I am overdue on getting my share of household chores done, so guess what I am about to do.

FLO - can I get a couple of sausage biscuits to go, and a to go cup of coffee.

WILLIE - the new busted pipe you discovered scares me. I am just 70 miles south of you and had decided we escaped any damage from the storm. Hope and pray we don’t discover anything this late.

Good morning again. The daughter called and asked if the g/kids could swim for an hour or so. Fine but no neighbor kids without at least 1 of THEiR parents along. So here’s what I got, 2 grandkids, the 2-14 year old twins who are certified life guards, 1 parent and 5 neighbor kids. Supposedly the daughter and her neighbor will be here at noon. The first hour is almost up, but they promised here at noon. Told the daughter, not here at noon, no swimming for 2 weeks. I was stern and meaningful!!!

Took this picture, roughly the same spot as the one posted this morning but with the aisle lights off, the lights above the Ethanol load out in the foreground are off and with the new LEDs are on over the PM and the negative space With the trees. The negative space is something Lance Mindheim has been promoting the last few years. In front of the negative space is the transload facility. The light blue and brown buildings in the corner will someday be the bio-mass steam plant for the Paper Mill

TomO
9C547474-015C-4D5D-B00D-C025F7042D26.jpeg

ALAN - Just wanted to comment on what a nice job you accomplished on the loading platform.
On the other hand - I have grown to expect nothing less from a master!

Oh Hell, Another month and I wasn't finished with the last one. FLO - I see that JESSE has bacon over in the corner again ... TomO and I will join him shortly! Please bring us more!

Speaking of that dirty word "housework" - the Spousal Unit just informed me that I need to do some around here before her PT lady shows up for her morning session and her Doctor calls! (Not sure that the Doctor will be able to tell whether or not the house is "picked up" over the telephone?)

CHAD - Once upon a time I drank a lot of Mt Dew - haven't in quite a while? Mostly now it is the flavored, bubbly, water stuff from the grocery shelf - I crave the carbonation for some unknown reason. I had to look at the map after your post - I did not realize that it was 4 hours from St George to SLC? For some reason I thought it was only a couple hundred miles?

JAZ - I am enjoying all your talent - the tree build is outstanding!

Good morning ya’ll! Beautiful day in the neighborhood. Had some rain last night and another shower just this morning. The boss lady informs me that I am overdue on getting my share of household chores done, so guess what I am about to do.

FLO - can I get a couple of sausage biscuits to go, and a to go cup of coffee.

WILLIE - the new busted pipe you discovered scares me. I am just 70 miles south of you and had decided we escaped any damage from the storm. Hope and pray we don’t discover anything this late.
fun3.jpg

FYI I joined two new railway forums recently so if I accidentally repost an item slap me but not so hard as to make me senseless :p

View attachment 125453
View attachment 125456
View attachment 125457View attachment 125458View attachment 125459View attachment 125460View attachment 125461View attachment 125462View attachment 125465
now to be fair if you think that’s a LOT of detail remember it is for 00 1 to 76
and even then it would be 150 feet which is one of our giant trees plus O gauge could use this and I decided it looked too big and moved it away frombuildings
View attachment 125466

JazA

Wonderfully great photos of a growing tree. Is that a modeling clay you wrap around the trunk? If so, is it air dryer or oven dried.
? Paint colors that you use?

I love making trees! I like HO sized between 35’ to 65’ or roughly 6-9” real size. All wire armatures

TomO

B3660D6E-82E5-4A93-95B4-FBF04F776613.jpeg

2242B634-50BE-4B97-AA03-CDCE1E48F61B.jpeg

51B2B9EE-9E8C-4250-9594-2C0C52D6ADAB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back