Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon from Wisconsin. Still raining.

Terry and Karl, best wishes and prayers for your loved ones.

I currently have the grandkiddos. Their mom and dad went to a showing and funeral mass for a neighbors mom. I was unaware I was watching them until I got a text saying they’d be here in 15 minutes. I had just returned from the LHS. I went to buy styrene and somehow came home with 2 Atlas grain cars, both had steel wheels and Kadee #5 couplers for 12 each. They will be stripped and painted in my road colors. LHS impulse buys for grains cars are noting counting toward the 100 per month grain car budget. The LHS just purchased an estate and has been doing really well selling them.

enjoy your day
TomO

Well bad luck is spreading I went out to feed my birds the first mallard duck we bred and had indoors missing,2 caygunas missing 1 cayguna dead,one cayguna in a state alive but clearly shaken,one Muscovy male duck dead also A pet he struggled as a baby and the chickens had eaten a lot of him, he and the others were ok yesterday..unless a fox is getting in and had a meal first, looking closely we have 3 culprit areas I will look at tomorrow, I suspect a female but catching her will be hard early morning or twilight is usual for them we don’t get up early and twilight is hard I have night vision glasses but sitting there waiting on her will be a pain,it has spooked the cats two they were under the car rather than on a cosy duvet in the packing shed,so I shut a door left open and I suspect the pest has been in there too, there is so many directions and so much cover getting it will be hard.prevention is my best way but the o thre half is gutted although that first duck was a boy it was our first duck easy to recognise,and the caygunas are a lovely petrol blue we had a male and 3 females, and poor forest (gump) was not the smartest duck in the hen house but he was a sweetie he could not find his way out of the night shelter when young and would make a loud noise my husband would say that the fire alarm was off again, I would go out direct him around the end of the wall so he could get near the others, always bullied poor little creature he would chase his own tail, am gutted,still I should be grateful at least it is animals and not family, off to go watch tv sci fi where it won’t remind me of birds. Sad face.

Good evening. I have strange good news.
After running a slew of tests, they determined my wife did not have a stroke.
They say she has something called pres. For reasons currently unknown, her blood pressure suddenly spiked to over 260, and brought on seizures and behavior that looked exactly like a stroke. The doctor says she should fully recover from it, with no new neurological damage.
She still has the bacterial infection, which they are treating her for, and are trying to figure out why her blood pressure went so high to begin with. She is still on a vent, since she isn't conscious, and they aren't entirely sure why. So, the elephant has left the room, but we still have a couple of serious mysteries to solve before she can start to recover.
Thanks for all your good thoughts and well wishes, they are appreciated.

Howdy :

Terry ...... It's good to hear it was not a stroke, but it still sounds very serious. Prayers for your wife, for you, and the family.

Karl ..... Continued prayers for your son. Hoping he gets well soon.

Willie ......... The hotel looks great, and I am glad you enjoyed the treehouse kit.

Greg ....... Those are nice scenes on your layout in the photos you posted.

I'm going to a follow up appointment with my cardiologist tomorrow. I still have very little energy and I sleep too much. My weight is still decreasing.

Everybody: ....... Have a good evening.

Hello Shop Dwellers, it's 56*F and calm, cloudy and humid (99%) in my corner of the Land of Pleasant Living.

Here's a brief shout-out to those of you who "clicked the button" on my post from yesterday: Tom (Cambria), Tom-O, Hughie, Phil, Sherrell, Willie, Patrick, Karl, Guy, Gary, Jaz, Justin

Terry
- continuing the prayers for you and Marie! Hopefully they'll be able to wean her off that ventilator so they can withdraw the sedation and she can become conscious again...

#1 son is stable, on meds and steroids, If he keeps on this path, they may kick him out by the weekend. We'll see. Thanks to all for the prayers and wishes.
Karl, glad to hear he's not on the ventilator! My sister had to spend a few days in the hospital for Covid, and probably got similar treatment; she's fine now.

Guy - good to see you posting here again!

Willie - that tall hotel building looks fantastic, sure wish I had the space on my layout for a few structures like that.

Jaz - so sorry to hear about what happened to your pet ducks! Foxes certainly live up to their reputation of being crafty when it comes to exploiting weaknesses in fencing and/or cages. Luckily we don't have any pets, we'd be in serious trouble if we did - there are foxes running across our lawn on a regular basis, we see one every couple of days.

Garry - best of luck with that follow-up cardio visit. At least the diuretics appear to be doing their job in keeping down your body weight!

No further mrr activity to report, since today was a long workday plus I had to respond to a distress email 10 minutes before the normal quitting time and that delayed my sign-off for another 30 minutes. Plus, the new generator I ordered last month is finally being delivered tomorrow afternoon, so I had to go out and buy a couple tanks of propane for it.

I'm also still somewhat shaken by that fiery accident that I [indirectly] witnessed yesterday. Apparently the victim was a 57yr-old man who, along with his wife, ran their own private fuel distribution business in Mt Airy. Still no theories on what led to the crash. This tragedy serves as anecdotal evidence of why trucking companies can't find enough drivers: it is highly dangerous work, especially when idiot car drivers cut in front of them on freeways.

Good morning!
The weather has been really nice here in Halifax the last couple days, fog in the mornings at times but breaking some records for here by the afternoons. Cinnamon Raisin bagel here this morning toasted with peanut butter. Snow is almost gone from my yard now and the ice is melting off the lake. Thanks to everyone who finally helped me get my track plan to where I want it, Iron Horseman, and Mark And Ben from my other forum. So many brilliant modellers out there and if I missed anyone, I apologize.
29F2951B-6CB6-4B5D-8FCA-16D43D74FF00.png
i might add to the Spurs, but this is near perfect for what I want. Finally, my real yard.

Attachments

• 36B83D8D-8EC3-410A-872A-AB6EE7A3AE57.jpeg
    36B83D8D-8EC3-410A-872A-AB6EE7A3AE57.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Morning all,

Terry: Good news on the wife. Prayers continuing for her and your family.

Time for a cup this morning as I've got to keep an eye on the email server. It has a service that keeps shutting down for no apparent reason which is keeping email from coming in.

The new to me truck has a door speaker that sounds like it's under water when it's cold or there's higher humidity in the air. I finally got the part number and ordered a new onr, so now all I see are ads for car stereo components. A little late IMO. 🤣

Last edited:
Good morning gang!

Terry, glad to hear the update on Marie, keep us posted!

The 2-8-0 is frustrating me, the Tichy decal set is quite difficult to work with, the lettering is almost 3 dimensional, and the logos supplied with it are almost impossible to work with. The tender may go back in the strip tank tonight. :(

I'm gonna take my coffee and sit in a booth to contemplate my next move, or maybe doze if the caffeine doesn't kick in.

Good Morning!

It's wonderful to hear stories about the road to recovery here in the shop. I do hope the needle continues to point in the right direction for Terry and Karl.

This is the season of the squalls, so if we don't like the weather around here we only need wait a few minutes and it will change. It's 15°F right now, and we are expecting sunny breaks mixed with rain, or perhaps, blizzard conditions.
At least the goose's are back, this photo taken the other day on the Athabasca River:
CanGeese_03-21-2021 (1).jpg

There were also Common Golden-eye on the river, so the ducks arn't far behind the geese.

Still having issues finding the patience to model right now; everything is kinda put on hold for the time being. I did go for a walk yesterday, and was able to get some not so good photos down at the CN yard. My ability to take good photos was hampered by the poor weather and the number of CN workers in the area. Here's a few, though:
SD70M-2s+SD40-2W_03-24-2021.jpg

CN 8802_SD70M-2_03-24-2021.jpg

CN 8963_SD70M-2_03-24-2021.jpg

Maybe 20 minutes after I took those photos, we were in white-out conditions with the snow coming down.

Can't complain, though. And the Mule deer can't complain this year either. The winter has been very mild, so the Muleys are in very healthy condition.
I took this photo through my front window a few days back:
MuleDeer_03-21-2021.jpg

Those deer are looking very good. Way better than they looked last year at this time.

Well, I suppose that is my report. Just a matter of drinking a few coffee and having toast while I'm reading the forum notes.

Have a great day, everyone!

Good morning from Wisconsin. 40f degrees now heading to 49. Gloomy and nasty looking out but the Weather channel app has nothing drastic happening today.

After the exercise program this morning I will get in the train room. It is time to run some trains.

Have a great day
TomO

Good Morning!

It's wonderful to hear stories about the road to recovery here in the shop. I do hope the needle continues to point in the right direction for Terry and Karl.

This is the season of the squalls, so if we don't like the weather around here we only need wait a few minutes and it will change. It's 15°F right now, and we are expecting sunny breaks mixed with rain, or perhaps, blizzard conditions.
At least the goose's are back, this photo taken the other day on the Athabasca River:
View attachment 126217
There were also Common Golden-eye on the river, so the ducks arn't far behind the geese.

Still having issues finding the patience to model right now; everything is kinda put on hold for the time being. I did go for a walk yesterday, and was able to get some not so good photos down at the CN yard. My ability to take good photos was hampered by the poor weather and the number of CN workers in the area. Here's a few, though:
View attachment 126221
View attachment 126222
View attachment 126223
Maybe 20 minutes after I took those photos, we were in white-out conditions with the snow coming down.

Can't complain, though. And the Mule deer can't complain this year either. The winter has been very mild, so the Muleys are in very healthy condition.
I took this photo through my front window a few days back:
View attachment 126224
Those deer are looking very good. Way better than they looked last year at this time.

Well, I suppose that is my report. Just a matter of drinking a few coffee and having toast while I'm reading the forum notes.

Have a great day, everyone!

Cheer up Guy. Keep walking around and enjoy your surroundings. I see no real issues with the pictures of the locomotives and the deer.
when up in North Central Wisconsin every deer evasive plant Terry planted seemed to get eaten. Tulips which deer supposedly hate them always went fast. Occasionally inside the 6’ fence protecting the garden would be 3 or 4 of them.

TomO

when up in North Central Wisconsin every deer evasive plant Terry planted seemed to get eaten. Tulips which deer supposedly hate them always went fast. Occasionally inside the 6’ fence protecting the garden would be 3 or 4 of them.

I know of what you speak, TomO.
I planted an expensive, bushy 5' Mountain Ash in my front yard a few years back. The very next morning after planting, it was just a stick coming out of the ground.

Good Morning Everyone. Light rain and 50° this morning. 0.6" in the rain gauge so far. Ten day outlook is for temperatures in the afternoon to remain in the mid-60's to upper-70's range, with lows staying above 48°. Nice spring weather for here. Of course being spring, there is a minor chance of rain occasionally.
Despite 1.5" of rain Monday, the garden yesterday was just right for planting the remaining pepper plants and also a 40' row of green beans. The local feed store still has not received the tomato varieties that I am looking for; I left room for 18 more plants. Hopefully, my wife can pick them up this afternoon or tomorrow after work. I also planted two Italian Parsley plants into bigger pots on the back porch. I'll harvest and dry some Monday or Tuesday. I just pick off the outer stems/leaves and the centers keep producing. Yesterday, I also picked some red lettuce from plants started indoors and set in the garden five weeks ago.

Sausage, biscuits and gravy for me this morning Flo. Make it a grape juice instead of the usual OJ today.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post here; Karl, Sherrel, Phil, Patrick, Justin, Hughie, Tom O, Jaz, Tom, Gary, Ken, Garry, Guy.

I spent too much time yesterday doing other stuff, and didn't get enough time in the train shed. All that I did was work on some unpainted figures that were received as a Christmas gift from one of my daughters. Those who know me know that I alter many so I don't have the same pose all over. In many cases it's simply removing luggage since I don't have any passenger or bus stations.
Note that I also used some body putty to fill in the mold void on the front.
IMG_5854.JPG

Another one.
IMG_5857.JPG

Again, cut off the luggage and fill in the void.
Many of these figures have on heavy clothing. Here is one that I cut the arm off to reposition it as well as removing the heavy coat.
IMG_5853.JPG

I filed off the coat detail and re-attached the arm outstretched a bit.
IMG_5855.JPG

You can see from the next photo that I trimmed off the coat in back.
IMG_5856.JPG

Guy - It was good to see your post yesterday. Hope that you get things sorted out. At least one of your pictures yesterday showed one loco without the power pole appendage!
GT - Sorry to read of the delays in getting the Covid Vaccine. I am still not understanding what the vaccine delays are in your part of the state. Here in the North Texas area, things are going very smoothly. It took us three weeks from registration to the first shot, but that was back in January when the vaccine supply was still somewhat limited. It's still taking that long, but there are many more people eligible and registered. It has been over a month since we got the second dose. I believe that fellow forum members Jim (in Dallas) and Hughie (who's actually in the Houston area) have also been shot at least once.
Justin - Do you keep maintenance records on your rolling stock? I find that it helps me identify problematic locos, but I have a few more than you do and I forget stuff!
Hughie - I do have an external hard drive that can handle all of my requirements, but I got too comfortable with that computer being brand new and I didn't do a backup when I should have. I still have most stuff, but there is a three month gap in my pictures and this years entries in my gardening log now.
Chad - Probably too late now, but have a safe trip to AZ, and a return one as well.
Tom O -
I had just returned from the LHS. I went to buy styrene and somehow came home with 2 Atlas grain cars, both had steel wheels and Kadee #5 couplers for 12 each.
I hate it when that happens! ;)
Jaz - WOW! Really hated to read about you varmint issues. Best to act now as they remember "easy pickings". I never had a problem with foxes with my chickens and ducks here; I am not sure if there are many in the area. We have coyotes which tend to avoid us because there are many small edible creatures in the woods down the road. There may be foxes in those woods as well, but all the woodland animals tend to keep their distance from me and it's hard to tell the difference between a fox and a small coyote.. Good luck!
Terry - While it is good to read that there was no stroke, she's not out of the woods yet. Continued best wishes and prayers for both of you.
Ken - That is my only structure that tall. It's surrounded by smaller ones. I'd like to obtain another one, but suitability and availability just haven't hit at the right time.
Gary - The track plan looks great, just needs a few more sidings for industries, looks like they would be easy to add. To me at least, the turning wye makes more sense than the turntable.

That's all for today. It's the weekly grocery/beer trek to the big city this morning, my wife hasn't yet decided whether she's going.
Today is National Medal of Honor Day, a pretty important commemoration in my opinion.
Everybody have a great day. Be safe.

Gassed the truck yesterday - fuel is $3.00 a gallon for regular. Up 70 cents a gallon in the last month. Retirement checks stay the same. Welcome to the New America, same as the old America but more expensive. Lots of stuff missing from store shelves around here, too.

Glad I'm retired. One less thing to worry about.

Bright and sunshiny today, nice temp, weatherman can;t make up their minds what might happen, but since the're almost always wrong anyway, who cares?

Nice thing about modeling - your world is how you want it to be.

Cheer up Guy. Keep walking around and enjoy your surroundings. I see no real issues with the pictures of the locomotives and the deer.

I see the deer relocation plan is working . They don't have the balls to shoot them in Austin /Lakeway, but they're more than willing to torture ,abuse , mutilate and force relocate them . That's how they solve problems in Austin ... make it someone else's.

Even the Feds have more sense, Aransas gets overpopulated ...get the hunters in here and liquidate the excess.

They could solve the problem by just letting someone harvest them for food, turn em into jerky , I can't tell the difference between beef and venison jerky and we,ve got plenty of jerky plants in central Texas. It would be a hell of a lot more humane ( mortality rates on trap/transporting was as high as 90%).

I almost hit one of the bastards the other night...the deer not the people. I don't mind the deer , I just hate hitting them. You have to drag them out of the road and...baaauhh ..baauhh ...you S.O.B. are you still alive ?

Enjoy the deer ...there's more on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back