Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WILLIE- A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. You're one week younger than DEBBIE. She too graduated in 1969 .

SHERREL - NO- 1969 wasn't to good a year. Was married to my ex. Nuff said.

Hope everyone has a nice day. Here it's 58* , bright and sunny.

Phil
For me, flip those last two numbers around. Much happier the 2nd time around.... even if she’s a “younger woman”.

Good evening Shop Dwellers. 38*F, cloudy and calm here in central MD.

Thanks everybody for the "likes" and comments on my Sunday evening post. I'm too fatigued to screen-scrape names for a list, but y'all know who you are...

Willie - Happy Birthday! 🎂

. . .
Ken: Not for nothing, but since you already have the GP9, you may as well dig up a couple of B&O coaches and alter history. A passenger train adds another dimension to operations.
. . .
Joe, I actually do have a few Walthers C&O and B&O coaches that I picked up while they were still available, but I misplaced the name/number decals that came with them. Plus, there are no passenger facilities on my layout [due to space constraints] so any passenger trains can only be operated as run-throughs. BTW - Your layout is lookin' good!

SHERREL- I was 69 in 2005- not a good year- DEB had TWO spinal surgeries. Either could have left her immobile.
Thick or thin/For better or for worse, here we are together.
Phil
Phil - I remember you posting about those surgeries in the Kalmbach Coffee Shop when I was still hanging out over there, I hadn't discovered this forum yet...

Well, today was my first day back on the job after the holidays. Mostly just sitting in front of my work 'puter, staring at the monitor. I was in "Maytag Repairman" mode because on all of my active projects, I was either (1) waiting for guidance/feedback from customers, or (2) waiting for some specific action to be taken by network support/admin folks. No mrr activity, didn't feel inspired to do any more cleanup work in the trainroom for my few hours of "free" time after cleaning up the dinner mess.

Tomorrow is when my new snow blower is supposed to arrive. The delivery service (not UPS Or FedEx) is supposed to contact me when the item is "in my area" to schedule a 4-hour delivery window. It's been listed as "in transit" for two weeks, but no tracking number...hmmmm...[?] At least I did find a source for bulk ethanol-free gasoline near Hagerstown, an hour's drive away from my house. At 3.49/gallon, I think it's worth the trip - I'd rather spend my time driving than trying to do the ethanol separation process myself with an uncertain probability of success. I'm bringing along four 5-gallon jugs to fill up.

Good evening: Temperature hanging around 41, it was still cloudy when I put the garbage can at the curb.

Yo Willie: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and any more too.

Today was also my dad's birthday. He would have been 109.

Garry: Thank You. Like the RS3 photos from your layout.

I graduated HS in 1966

Apparently, the LTC Facility where my MIL is staying, has a surge in Covid Cases. Many more than they are reporting. Since the residents are sequestered, and family visitations have been verboten since last March, it has to be the staff that's infecting them. They are scheduled for the first vaccination later this week. The MIL supposedly had the virus last Spring, so she may have retained immunity.

Patrick and Karl: 60 is painless...

George: Yeah, $600 each, actually became "Pending" on the 2nd. Just in time for the Christmas Bills.

Curt: Thank you.

Sherrel:
You are becoming quite the philosopher.

James Cagney using Phone on Broadway Limited.  PRR Photo.jpg

James Cagney, using the "Phone" on the Broadway Limited.. based on the TT cover, I'd guess 1952-1953. PRR Photo.

Conrail era Media to Philadelphia local using Reading Cars in 1979 - Joe Osciak Photo.jpg

Reading EMUs running on the PRR, on the Media - West Chester line in 1976. Media Line was the only PRR line not set up for Cab Signals, so it was the only line that could use Reading Equipment. Joe Osciak Photo. Contrary to Reading practice of not raising every pantograph, this train operated with all pants up against the wire, on PRR teritory.

Fretz Building Fire 01-01-1963 - Philadelphia Newspapers Photo.jpg

January 1, 1963, fire at the 8 story, Fretz Building, adjacent to the Reading Main Line in Philadelphia. This job went to 12 alarms, the biggest ever in Philadelphia, and destroyed a large industrial complex, and extended across the tracks where it destroyed a fuel dealer, Reading's Diamond Interlocking Tower, and damaged another warehouse. On the opposite side, the walls collapsed on top of a row of Row homes, displacing 300 residents. The Reading operation was affected for about a week after. Diamond St Tower was not rebuilt, but made remote controlled from another location.

Good evening, just left the train room with a headache. I am ready to pitch the Grain Terminal, nothing fits where I want it.

Tom, not sure I’d want to be 53 again in this work climate. But give me the knowledge I have now at say 40, I could handle that.

CECB5143-55E9-48CA-952A-DF2F6F0A0F93.jpeg

C8C6688C-F46D-42CC-A0DD-200B87A10C81.jpeg

Enjoy your evening
TomO

Sherrel: You are becoming quite the philosopher.
JOE - Wasn't that one of Yogi Berra's famous quotes?

GUY's --- I want to clear up something ... Those KC&G units that I posted were from a friend. There is nothing I would like better than to say that they were mine, but while I once had the ability to come close to that, I never got into the weathering chapter. I had a set of Varney F units painted and decaled the Frisco in black and yellow that I was proud of. (I remember how Jeffrey liked the Varney units)
He would have liked mine. Had an "O" scale sized motor with a double shaft that was so large that I had to "Dremel" out the sides of the unit in order to squeeze it in - and it was a hefty 2+ pounds.
I used to joke with the club members that I could pull the paint off the walls and take the carpet too!
I was a fool to part with all my HO stuff; I might have been more interested in getting a layout going.

GARRY - The RS units with your backdrop is an awesome jaw drop photo. It looks like the "whole" outdoors!

Patrick - I always enjoy your photos and build. I think the tower is looking good.

Greetings.

Just Coffee FLO...

I need to starting taking the Covid 19lbs off -

it's hovering right around freezing this morning, and misty. Need to do some walking, so I'll go hit target in the wee hours before they get busy and full of virus-load.

You gents aren't making me want to cross the 60 bridge in a few years... Better work on my weight and BP by then.

this morning I started culling and sorting my iPhone pics from the 3+ years we spent in California. Figured I could find some fun pics of the Metro light rail lines for you. Just in case anyone is modelling around Los Angeles.

funny, looking through those pics, there are three themes that come to the forefront:
What we ate (a LOT)
Where we went (tourist spots
Where I spent my time... AKA the Santa Monica Pier and/or coffee shops

Minor themes included "Wow! That happens in our section of LA?"

Here are a couple of fun pics from the time:

Expo Line zips by Bagley Ave - looking under the I-10 overpass near Culver City (we lived a block away from there).
IMG_5703.JPG

Some Carry-out only BBQ in Culver City... I'd walk over daily and get a tri-tip sammich until they went catering only.

IMG_5748.JPG

Good Morning Model Railroaders from the Left Coast! Blustery with overcast skies, intermittent snow/rain forecast for the week. Glad to see it! Any reservoir in the So. Oregon/Nor. Cal area is sucking air. That triple digit simmer last year all but finished 'em off.
Willie.....dude...Happy Birthday! 🎂 Hope there is many more in your future!
the ceiling gophers have been chased off
Reminded me of the long ago episode of "The Trouble With Tribbles" How many of you geezers remember that one? 😁
Nice seeing the layout photo updates along with the 1:1 photos......and here's my 1:1 photos with a question,
So, here is how you see the BN hoppers.....
IMG_20201215_112218544.jpg

What up with this one? BNSF in green? Unusual!
IMG_20201215_081012853_HDR.jpg

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Morning all,

34° and clear this morning. It's supposed to get to 54°.

Time for a cuppa and a pecan roll this morning. Thanks Francine!

We got our stimulus yesterday. Going to use it for some new eye glasses. A man's gotta see.

Karl: My Bday is mid-February. I'll be celebrating with a 3-day weekend this year. It's such an event even the feds are calling it! lol President's day weekend. I'll have 2 days to recover. You all do the math. ;)

Boris: I'd also heard that 59 was painless, but.....🤣

Jerry: As long as we can beam the Tribbles to the Klingon's, it's all good! And I was in a HS Star Trek club, God I was a nerd....I guess I still am as a Network Admin.

Good morning all,

19 and cloudy, heading for 32. We are having a mild winter as well, McLeod!

I got some more stuff from ebay in the mail yesterday. One item mailed Dec 9 and one mailed Dec 28, both from approx the same distance, arrive on the same day. At least they came (pretty low bar).

Troy - your layout room is looking great. It looks a lot like my last layout, which was a folded dogbone. This time I plan on more of a rectangle with a couple spurs.

TomO- I would not want to be 53 again either, or for that matter anything younger than I am.
Your grain complex is looking very nice!

I love the photos posted in the coffee shop!

more later, Dave

Archive photo: gravel extraction area

_MG_5568.jpg

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 40°, going up to 65° again today. Taking advantage of these warm days, I did a lot of outdoor projects yesterday, as well as removing the ashes from the wood burning heater.
Today is the last of my string of doctor/dental appointments for a while. I will be visiting the dermatologist for my annual "look me over" session for any signs of skin cancer. Next anything appointment is April.

A large handful of bacon and a tall stack of blueberry pancakes this morning Flo. I want to be my best at the doctors.

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes yesterday. For those that haven't reached this plateau yet, don't fret it. Other than weight and BP, I am no worse off than when I was 50. Not as agile as when I was 40, but the weight has something to do with that. Yes, I am quite hearing impaired, but that's been ongoing for over 20 years due to sitting in the front rows of concerts and my earlier use of headphones during and immediately after my college days. It's my own fault.

Thanks also for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's photos; Patrick, Phil, Justin, Guy, Karl, Troy, Tom O, Dave, Jerome, James, Chad, Hughie, Gary, Curt, Garry, Joe, Tom, Rick, Ken, Jerry.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I paused on figure painting for a day. Planted some trees here and there, nothing special. I fully immersed myself in the quarterly layout cleaning project. For those who are new here in the Coffee Shop, I have divided my layout into roughly eight equal sections. At the beginning of each quarter, I clean and vacuum all of the track in that section, if ballasted already, I also make any needed repairs or touch up. I have also been documenting the process as many members have expressed interest in seeing the whole layout. Cleaning isn't particularly significant because my track doesn't really get too dirty; the result of pretty near daily running. At least that's what I tell my wife. So this is an ongoing repeating two-year project. I also remove all structures one by one and clean, make repairs and sometimes add additional details to them. This quarters target is the east and north walls on the upper level. East wall is easier because I have not painted or ballasted any track there, thus making it easy to spot stray parts along the ROW, in this case there were none, yet!
Here's a view of the east wall from the south (from the north RR wise).
IMG_5427.JPG

Main line is the leftmost track, passing siding is in the center, and various industrial track is on the right. The two tracks leading off to the right at the bottom go to an engine servicing facility. As you can see, I haven't installed all of the ground throws yet!
Here is a view from the other end.
IMG_5428.JPG

When I get to doing scenery here is guesstimated to be fall 2021.
The main and passing siding cross the entry door to the train shed on a bridge from the south side, hus offering the opportunity for continuous running. Partial picture next.
IMG_5406.JPG

Initially it was meant to be removable, and can still be converted, but at 60" high, it is easily a "stoop under" for most. It is also far enough from the door to allow me to stand on the door side and open and close it from there. So it may never be converted to be removable.

Some of the structures will remain in their present locations, others are simply plopped down for various reasons.
This yellow one for example used to reside over where I eventually put the scrapyard.
IMG_5412.JPG

At the corner where the layout turns west and runs along the north wall is where I am putting the recently built trailer.
IMG_5425.JPG

As part of the year 2020 in review, here is the scrapyard project that I worked on during May. It is on the other side of the tracks from the candy store, grain elevator and antiques store.
05-21-20 004.JPG

05-18-20 004.JPG
05-18-20 005.JPG

I can't seem to be able to locate the overall shot this morning!

Patrick - Switch tower is looking good.
Dave - Thanks, I thought that I would do something a bit different.
Tom O - I didn't know that about Tesla and Austin. I haven't been in Austin in over twenty years, I just take the bypass around it when I travel to San Antonio. Austin is no longer my kind of town. Politics there have ruined it.
Guy - I have bookmarked your post from yesterday because it looks interesting and I don't have the time right now to study it fully. Looks interesting though. I have bought a few railroad things from "WeHonest" before and I am happy with them. Love that name!
Troy - Lights look good. Now get back to the layout!
Tom -
Happy Birthday Willie. Seems I'm the youngster around here at 53.
Close, but I think that Justin and Luke have you beat.

I am going to leave it that for now. Some interesting posts this morning that I will have to comment on later.
Today is the Feast of the Epiphany, traditionally the last day of the Christmas celebration. It's also National Keto Day, blah!
Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Morning all,

34° and clear this morning. It's supposed to get to 54°.

Time for a cuppa and a pecan roll this morning. Thanks Francine!

We got our stimulus yesterday. Going to use it for some new eye glasses. A man's gotta see.

Karl: My Bday is mid-February. I'll be celebrating with a 3-day weekend this year. It's such an event even the feds are calling it! lol President's day weekend. I'll have 2 days to recover. You all do the math. ;)

Boris: I'd also heard that 59 was painless, but.....🤣

Jerry: As long as we can beam the Tribbles to the Klingon's, it's all good! And I was in a HS Star Trek club, God I was a nerd....I guess I still am as a Network Admin.
Maybe I can outgeek you...
More Tribbles, More Troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back