Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOSES WEST in Needles, CA yesterday!
BNSF Needles 2021-01-02.jpg

Good Afternoon all. A chamber of commerce day here. 68 degrees, bright sunny day. Conductress said lets go out for a ride so there will be limited train time. Started working on what type cars each industry might need for materials in and products out. The plan is to rebuild an Excel spreadsheet I have somewhere on my computer and have it randomly set up a car movement for a operating session. The first iteration worked OK, but I think I can actual use car numbers to specific industries rather than just saying move box car to X place. Anyway I'm going to try.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Once Covid gets cleaned up, let me know when you come through. We're about two miles off I-69 on the west edge of town. Happy to grab a burger or let you in to see the train room (that is barely begun).

Troy .... Sounds good. .... I don't know when. We did not go to MI in 2020 which was very unusual. Normally, we swing through OH instead of In because we have family in Cincinnati.

Sherrel ..... Feel free to tell more about the KC&G. Apparently, that is your RR before I joined this forum..... It was good to see one Warbonnet remaining in your BNSF photo.

Here are my Atlas/Kato RS3's. They are detailed and painted for Northern Pacific . Also, they are weathered somewhat .

36371650300_33f975bde7_b.jpg

35934113574_4627ef975f_b.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then once again reconnected the track feeders and amazingly everything worked. I ran the F3 and 2-8-8-2 over everything without issue. After that for the first time on this layout I ran a train for 30 minutes. Up to now I've only run what was needed for testing. It was only a F3 with 3 H21a coal cars but it counts as the first train. I was very happy there was no derail issues. The grandkids will be here tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to the layout or not.

IB Ken- Nice job on the cabin car storage box.

Troy- Good luck with the lighting and those pesky ceiling gophers.

Willie- Great scenes.

Sherrel- Nice photo.

Garry- Great photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I visited the club for aa little while last night and took the Del Monte for a spin. Foe those non SP people the Del Monte was pretty much the last local, lasting all the way until Amtrak. It ran from San Francisco to Monterey. There were enough wealthy people with political clout to keep the train running until passenger service ceased. At the end, it was just two cars, a coach and a lounge. The double decker coach was dropped off at San Jose. In my train, the lounge is a stand in, a Walthers 48 seat diner with a re-done interior and an antenna added. Close enough. A correct lounge would be very expensive, as it would only be available in brass. It makes a nice little pike sized passenger train.

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

View attachment 122646

As promised, here are the ideas for the second component of downtown.

The dime store on the end will be the home of a law firm. Still working on a name. Considered Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe; but not completely sold on it. Also in the running was Ditcher, Quick, & Hyde. I want comical, but not trite. The lower level will be reception and offices for the junior partners, while the middle level will be records storage and conference room. The upper level will house the senior partner's office and living quarters.

The center unit is going to be my post office. I have not yet figured out if I am going to leave the display windows or cover them up. Leaning toward keeping them because I like the look.

The lower unit on the end will house the Crossroads Diner. There will be a black 4 door Impala parked on the street in front of it. Sam and Dean are hungry fellows and the Crossroads has a pecan pie to die for.

The upper unit will house Valiant & Valiant private detective agency. It will also double as their living quarters.

Jesse
Suggestion

Case, Law and Associates

TomO

Good evening. It's been raining, foggy and cold all day, temperature never got above 39, which is either 1° below "normal", or 7° above, depending on which weather guru I happen to be watching. :rolleyes:. I can not complain about the mild winter, so far, keeps the gas bill within reason.

After a slow start, I slept in, I managed to spend a good part of the afternoon in the train room, with success.

The last track was ballasted, finally, and the last of the trees were placed. I also started weathering the old boxcar that will sit on the out of service team track, in company service. I have three structure kits to finish, and one more that will be delivered tomorrow (UPS). I also have the station to build, most likely using styrene, or wood. I'm determined to finish this module, before I move on to the next.

Essington 1-3-2021.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Thanks for all the likes on my previous post.

TSC and HD sell ethanol free fuel by the half gallon, it aint cheap, but it is close.

Luckily here in Utah a lot of stations sell ethanol free gas. Been using it in my vehicles for years. Most stations that sell it, sell a mid-grade ethanol free for about the same price as premium. I also run it in my small motors. The only car we don't run it in is my son's 2--8 Honda Fit, which he has"on loan" from my dad. My dad ran normal fuel in it forever so I don't see any point in switching now. Our other cars, an Audi and a VW have run on it since we got them new.

When I first started looking for and using ethanol free gas about 10-12 years ago, only a handful of stations had it. I had to travel a bit or time my fill ups for when I was in the area. Now, I have two stations (a "Maverik" -- a Utah based regional chain, and a Murphy Express, within 2-4 miles and probably a half dozen other stations with it [mostly Maverik or Murphy but also some franchised Exxon and similar] with 6-7 miles.

Small motors work better and last longer with it. I am betting your car will to as alcohol is corrosive, even though modern cars have been made to use alcohol for quite awhile now. Gasoline also has more energy in it per unit volume so you get a bit better gas mileage with it.

Hello Shop Dwellers, we've got 35*F and cloudy with a slight NW breeze in my backyard; everything still wet from the on-and-off rain we've been having all day.

Thanks for all the "likes" and comments on my Saturday post - Joe, Hughie, Sherrell, Jerry, Luke, Phil, Tom-C, Willie, Gary, David, Tom-O, Garry, Guy, Curt.
TSC and HD sell ethanol free fuel by the half gallon, it aint cheap, but it is close.
Thanks for that Karl - I found some on the Home Depot website and you're right, at $46/gallon it's definitely pricey! Since I already have the necessary gear, I'm going to try removing the ethanol myself from the 93 octane gas I got yesterday. If it doesn't look like I got a lot of it out, then I'll invest in the VP Small Engine Fuel.

. . .
Curt ..... I read your post about working on a turnout. You and Ken each were solving problems with turnouts yesterday.
. . .
Garry - my turnout problem didn't happen yesterday, I was actually describing an event from 2015... 🙃

Alan - that bi-directional "torpedo boat" geep looks totally awesome with the bloody-nose pattern on both ends! I have the B&O version of that Athearn Genesis model, but it is used for freight service since the line I'm modeling had no passenger trains after the early 1950's.

Today was the last day of my 12-day Christmas vacation, and I removed and packed-away all of the locomotives that were left on the layout. I wasn't really sure exactly what my layout goal for this vacation was, since a lot of time was committed to family and holiday-centered activities. But at least now I'm a few steps closer to having my layout ready for MER 2021 by October - hopefully much earlier than that!

Last edited:
Fellers! I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year. I'm a day late on a layout update. Things didnt pan out yesterday like I had hoped. Chessie lives again! I was finally able to correct the issues with my chessie system hoppers. With that being said i brought out an old friend. My chessie GP40 that awhile back.....a few years back actually became a floor model. Pays to make sure the turnouts are positioned correctly. She still runs and is currently the motive power for the layout. Anyways my scene divider is up. Well most of it anyways. Made up of items on hand. This was the only answer to my problem at the current moment. I'll be tweaking it this week as time allows. Here's what I got so far. Time for bed and I'll try to stop by again here soon.
20210103_233334.jpg

20210103_233244.jpg

Good morning y'all. It's dark and 43 outside. Inside it is much more comfortable.

Flo- coffee, toast, and bacon please.

Willie- love the layout shots. Thank you. I'm hoping soon to actually put my hands on a kit and see if I can get it built and find out what kind of detail I can do in such a small scale.

Tom- thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to the list. As with all things so far, I'm sure the perfect name will eventually just materialize in my brain and I can transfer it to the building.

Y'all keep me in your prayers today. After nearly two weeks off for Christmas, I have to go back to wor...I have to wo...w....oh I can't even bring myself to type it. 😭. Y'all just sympathize with me, especially y'all retired folk. 🤣

Y'all have a good one.

Good morning. It's dark and 46* . 2nd cup of coffee already gone.
Someone mentioned RR songs, so I went looking for an old CD. Found it. I remembered buying it at a "CRACKER BARREL" restaurant. "The LONESOME WHISTLE". Has 14 different songs Picture of a steam engine on the front and a cabosse on the back. Music pretty good .
Hope all have a good safe day.
Phil

Thought for a Monday:
When someone asks what I did over the weekend, I squint and ask, "Why, what did you hear?"

Headed back to McWane this morning to finish putting the HP layout back in the basement.
Got the On30 and N scale layouts transferred yesterday afternoon and evening.
I will take a couple pain killers BEFORE I leave to do physical labor today.
Check on your $600 dollar stimulus check today and decide which new hobby related items you want to purchase!

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 36° in this part of the world this morning. A bit warmer today at 65°, my kind of weather, but yesterday was beautiful at 62°. Should be a good day today as I have now completed 69 trips around the sun. Coincidentally, my high school graduation was the Class of '69! I wish that I could re-live that year again.;)

The usual this morning Flo, two eggs over easy and a pile of sausage patties, with OJ.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterdays post; Phil, Tom, Karl, Luke, Tom O, Garry, Hughie, Jerry, Sherrel, Curt, Guy, Joe, Ken, Rick, Jesse.

Out in the train shed, I continued to paint figures.
IMG_5433.JPG

I also did some work on the layout cleaning project. More on that tomorrow.
And now continuing the year 2020 in review, March saw the beginning of a major project filling in a large blank area between my towns of Ft Wish and Graham. I started by adding a rail spur and grain elevator from Walther's.
03-15-20 008.JPG

Then I built and added this candy store by Bar Mills at one end.
03-20-20 005.JPG

A Pasture full of cows came next, sandwiched between the store and elevator.
03-24-20 005.JPG
03-30-20 006.JPG

Then I assembled another Bar Mills kit to anchor the other side.
04-04-20 005.JPG

It has been re-christened as an antique dealer.
IMG_5365.JPG

This stretched into April for this section of layout

Joe - I consider it a successful day in the train shed even if I only plant one tree! That module is looking good.
Karl - Interesting given that Tesla's have been around for quite a while now; but I have only seen a single one on the highway in the last ten years. They're pretty much useless here in Texas where "oil is king".

Ethanol free gasoline is readily available here in farm/ranch country. It's maybe a nickel per gallon higher than regular of the same octane. I have two sources within 12 miles and another four (that I am aware of) in a 22 mile range, which isn't far by Texas standards. A lot of farm equipment uses it, and I use it mixed with oil for my two cycle yard equipment

Today is National Spaghetti Day here in the US. Leave some for me.
Everybody have a great day.

Attachments

• 03-15-20 008.JPG
    03-15-20 008.JPG
    483.3 KB · Views: 115
Morning all,

Coffee this morning Francine. Thanks.

Well, I won't be having much time in the train room for the next several weeks. My son closes on his house Thursday, so I'll be busy helping him paint before he moves in. Floor guy should be meeting us to give a complete estimate and timeline to get the wood floors refinished and a small area in one of the bedrooms replaced. Then he moves in. Then the daughter will want her bathroom dealt with.....it's a vicious circle. LOL

What has 5 teeth and 8 legs???? (Answer below)

Here's a couple of pics I promised on Friday:

20210101_153952.jpg
20210101_154003.jpg

I think it will look best as a rail building in the switch yard. I'll post a=these and the rest in my build thread.

Answer to above: A Bluegrass Band!

Good morning, y'all. 35° and cloudy. According to my gas bill, our median temperature is 11° warmer, comparable billing period 2020 vs 2019. I'll take it.

Later today, I will take down the outdoor decorations and store them for next year. This is not the job it once was.

Wanamaker Ave #2 - 01-03-2021.jpeg

Another photo of my Essington module. The end section of backdrop comes down (4 screws), so it will be easy to paint. At least I'm using the artist colors I have had sitting around for better than 10 years. Didn't know I had it in me...:rolleyes:

Justin: Nice to see your layout is moving along.

Alan: The Del Monte was an interesting operation. great model.

Ken: Not for nothing, but since you already have the GP9, you may as well dig up a couple of B&O coaches and alter history. A passenger train adds another dimension to operations.

BS24m consist passes under the P&W Trestle, in 1958 Norristown, PA.jpg

Norristown, PA in 1958. Baldwin TRS-24, PRR ES24m on Reading PA to 52nd St freight passing under P&W Interurban trestle. Photographer Unknown.

Good morning, it is 28 and cloudy in St. Paul.

I had a real quiet new year celebration. My wife is up north looking after her sister so it was even quieter than usual this year.

Gary - I love the photos of the NP locomotives

Curt - glad to hear your trains are running smooth

Terry - nice photo of F7's

Alan - thanks for the history of the Del Monte

Boris - good progress in the train room

Justin - interesting scene divider

Willie - clever idea with the "year in review"

Patrick - I like the new switch tower

I put a couple coats of red paint on my SW-1 yesterday. It is going to take some patience to get it to cover well.

Meanwhile, a photo from the archives. This is the Boarding house with the Lumber company office on the left

_MG_5566.jpg

Thats all for now, Dave LASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back