Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAVE in PV said: PS, we can shoot, burn brush, and pee off the deck, (if thats what one likes to do)

DAVE,
Won't be that way in the near future, but I'd like nothing better that to be able to pee off the deck!
That is a beautiful place. Makes me wish that I still had the money that I spent on whisky, gambling, and wild women - the rest I just invested until it was all gone!

Sherrill: That's why country living has its advantages !

Hello Shop Dwellers, happy 1st day of 2021! 37*F and cloudy with wet remnants of a full day's worth of rain on my property.

Slept in until 10am this morning, then spent a few more hours in the trainroom packing away my freight cars. I've now re-packed them according to type and size, and noted the numbers of the boxes where I packed them on my roster printout. This will make it alot easier to find the individual cars when I'm ready to put them back on the layout. Now I just need to pack away the locomotives and clear everything off the layout surface that's not supposed to be there - tools, empty boxes, etc., then I'll be ready to run the CMX car over every inch of track. We'll see how much of that I can get done before Monday.

134818756_5521606481186524_1607205180683703110_n.jpg

Good morning gang!

McLeod, I spy a former BC Rail 8-40CM I think behind CN2658.

IBKen, Get that rail nice and clean, then repeat, then repeat again.

Tom, the grain facility is awesome!

I did get some time at the bench yesterday, assembled and weathered 3 Stewart 55 ton "fishbelly" hoppers, and started lining up parts to model MMID 56 (former LIRR unit)
MMID 56 RS3.jpg

Any suggestions on a paint match? Conrail blue is too bright, Maybe GN blue, or some other?? Maybe Conrail with some white added??
I already have the undec RS3, just have to find grabs, markers, sunshades, horn etc. then wait for painting weather.

Terry, this is only about a 2 hour drive from here, and SWMBO is already "on board" with us going, we are anxiously awaiting her return to service!

Almost time to open the shop, later gang!

Morning all,

Time for a bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries and a side of bacon. Coffee as well, Thanks Flo.
Jeffrey was definitely one of a kind. What he could do with what he could find. I did sell him a couple of items from the estate sale stuff in 2012. He was good folks. I always looked forward to his next project.

Good Morning All. Overcast and 34°, warming up to 54° later today when the sun makes an appearance. Radar shows that it is raining here, but the weather rock and back porch show otherwise.

Make that another on the sausage, gravy and biscuits this morning Flo.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on yesterday's posting; Ken, Hughie, Luke, Phil, Garry, Rick, Guy, Tom O, Joe, Karl, Tom, Patrick, David, Justin.

Yesterday was both good and not so good here on the SFW estate.
Good - The traditional Prime Rib Roast before.
IMG_5396.JPG

After - better!
IMG_5402.JPG

And then the not so good.
IMG_5397.JPG

Not one, but two kidney stones passed yesterday morning, about an hour apart. Saving them for the urologist. Since I am a rural country fellow, all I had to do was pick them up off the ground. Thankfully not as large as the one James just had removed. Not painful, but extremely discomforting for a few hours.

No train shed time yesterday, darn! No time this morning for the year 2020 in review either. Dammit! I'm retired, I should have all the time in the world!:mad:

Jesse - I like your ideas for MR II with the law firm, post office and diner. They go well in this type of block. Here's my version.
IMG_5399.JPG

The corner contains a natural foods store on the ground level and professional offices on the second level. There's residential quarters on the third floor. Next door, the Western Auto store occupies both levels while a gym anchors the other end. Another residence is above the gym.
Close up of the corner.
IMG_5225.JPG

On the MR IV that you posted the other day with your thoughts on the police station, etc; I went with the included interiors when I did mine.
IMG_5401.JPG

From L-R, Photo Studio, Hardware Shop and Bicycle Shop, since they all fit well with the locale.
I like the Merchant's Row structures. You can't completely credit Walther's for them, though, They were all originally issued by Magnuson Models back in the 80's before Walther's bought them out.

Troy - Thanks for the cinnamon rolls yesterday, even though I wasn't hung over!
Mikey - I went out and measured those drink cups at the pizzeria that you asked about, I made them with .040" styrene rod, not the .020" that I originally posted yesterday.
but 9:00 pm is the new midnight.
Then I must be a trail blazer because that's been the case in my life for over 45 years!
Sherrel -
Looks a bit like DDSS to me ... or is it SSDD?
Looks like SOS to me!
Tom O - That's going to be one hell of a complex there when finished.
David - Glad to read that you finally were able to get someone else up on that roof of yours .
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Morning!
And a fine Saturday morning of a wonderful new year, it is. Unusually warm at 26°F this morning, with an even more unusual opportunity to reach 36° later in the afternoon. It's going to be a splendid day with no precipitation predicted. - A good day to take down the Christmas lights and pack them up for the year.

McLeod, I spy a former BC Rail 8-40CM I think behind CN2658.

You are correct, Karl! That engine is BCOL 4603, visiting Whitecourt on 11-01-2020.
BCOL 4603_C40-8M_11-01-2020 (5).jpg

The photos were taken the day after I received the $600.00 tax collection ticket from the CN government crony.
As this engine was passing me right after I took this photo, the engineer hung is head out the side window and hollered out that he would be parking the engine in the yard in 10 minutes. He was giving me permission to photograph his engine when it was parked.

Thankyou, folks, for all the likes on yesterday's first post of the new year.
I've enjoyed the photos that have been posted, as well as the comics.

Have a great Saturday! I'm off to see if I won a million on the lotto, or just threw away another 10 bucks on the chance.

Happy Belated New Years again to everyone!
Most importantly, wish everyone well for this upcoming year! Selfish of me because I love all the great pics and railroad tips.
I spent part yesterday weathering and commencing the gluing of my Allied rebuilders window frames. The fumes get to me after a while so I will do a bit at a time. Spending most of my time with family over the holidays playing board games, having Chinese food last night and then a neighbour had a great fireworks show. I pray I don’t get those kidney stones (too many I know this year had them) but I would love some of that great looking prime rib !

Have a great day everyone

Attachments

• 353ACFE6-070F-4955-82BD-2F5E42B093DD.jpeg
    353ACFE6-070F-4955-82BD-2F5E42B093DD.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 141
Good morning and belated Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2021 is better than 2020 was, but that doesn't set the bar very high, does it?

I was busier than expected this holiday/vacation. Back to work Monday, a very fast 17 days!

I did get some work done on O'Neill's though, along with some general maintenance stuff on engines and rolling stock. I prepped the two new tank cars for weathering, put a bunch of placards on the tanker fleet, and got those McCrappy couplers off that new Athearn Commute Geep and replaced them with Kadees. I put the base castings, main building, and tower together on the O'Neill's project. There are still a few tweaks to be made on the assembly and I'll be doing the roof this weekend. Somewhere in here I have to fit in taking the tree down as well, and putting all that stuff away!

Right Wall Awning and base castings.JPG

Main building & Tower assembled.JPG

Roof components.JPG

Good morning y'all! Sunny and about 54 at the Jersey Shore. This time of year, that's almost beach weather. Good morning for some Taylor Ham and Egg on a bagel with pepper and ketchup.

This might be a good day to dull coat a few buildings, I am ready to assemble. Outdoor painting days are at a premium this time of year.

Willie: Those stones look nasty...at least you passed them without having to under go a nastier procedure to bust 'em up and get them out, like James suffered through..

Speaking of the Merchants Row, I have the original Magnuson Models MR #1 and #2, but I still haven't figured out where they fit on the layout.
Merchants Row #3 was a Heljan "Courthouse Square" Kit, #4 and #5 are Walthers. You do have a knack of bringing these structures to life. Magnuson was the first with the White Tower (White Castle) building also. I have one of them also.

Karl: I'm not a good paint mixologist. But see if you can find a reference to Metro North Blue. There are actually people that Model Metro North and LIRR and need those specific colors.

Guy: Nice shot. The BCR scheme doesn't want to go away, does it?

Thanks for all the likes and comments on my photo uploads. Unfortunately, I don't have a good one to share this morning.

Good morning from the refreshed white covering in So. Central Wisconsin. Many areas around us got rain first then the white, not us. Huge white wet flakes kept piling up when we weren’t to get any or less then an inch. Have at least 3 and I am not looking forward to removing it.

Terry- I like that cartoon. I saw it on another forum yesterday early and I am using it as my background avatar on Facebook
McLeod- Love the look of that scene
Willie- the prime rib is not a favorite but that looks very good, I will ignore the other...ouch!

To all, thanks for the comments on the grain terminal but the wife says “that’s really big” (no jokes please) and doesn’t fit the space correctly. The concrete coloring and the aluminum colored Wet/dry silos are still needed for the scene. Maybe she is right but I will try my way first. I want this portion done soon. I want to start the detail part, the part I enjoy the most. The conveyors, the fans and vents,
the towers and ladderways to me are fun. Also, they can make or break the scene. Like in so many of Willies pictures those Little People he has in those scenes enhance the picture IMHO. Thats what I look forward to and is also the most time consuming.

Be safe, be well, be distance
wear the mask
TomO

WOW - got to stay in bed until almost 6:30 this morning - then the pups decided it was tie to rumble!
37 was the low (39 now) going up to 66 with clear skies and destined to be the same, within a couple degrees, for the next three days.

TERRY - The cartoon you put up this morning is a hoot! Thanks for the laugh.
WILLIE - I'd like some of that Prime, but I'll let you keep those stones; it's a strange feeling when they come rolling out the tube. I have beeb lucky - have not had one in the last 28 years, but had several just prior to that.

FLO - If there is any left - I too will have a plate of those biscuits and sausage gravy. WHAT'd you say: Willie's double order finished off the pan? OK, Make that a CFS with eggs up and sourdough toast - thank you!

The Spousal Unit made me a Pecan Pie yesterday - she said that it was a belated present. She asked me a month back what I wanted for Christmas .. and I told her that I wanted a Pecan Pie.
It's her first since we are approaching the 30 mark. I have to say that she did a magnificent job.
My mother could have won contests with hers - and SWMBO just may have at least tied her.

I'm looking at a list a mile long this morning including taking down and packing up C-Lights and such, so it will be a busy day.

GUY - As usual - your photos stand out - thanks!

I wanted to comment on others, but come-on man, I have to start making a list ---anyway ---
ALAN - Super job on the build - that is museum quality!

Not one, but two kidney stones passed yesterday morning, about an hour apart. Saving them for the urologist. Since I am a rural country fellow, all I had to do was pick them up off the ground. Thankfully not as large as the one James just had removed. Not painful, but extremely discomforting for a few hours.

HO or O Scale Willie.....painful just to look at them!!!!

Good Morning Everyone...overcast after approximately 4 inches of white stuff. After a snowiness start to winter, it seems to be caught up to us in SE Wisconsin.

After watching some very good weathering videos by Mike Confalone on TrainMastersTV, I need to toned down my weathering intensity. Some of locomotive are rust buckets and well as a couple of cabooses. My coal and ore cars are dirty just due to their nature of not being given a bath after they were built and the dirt builds up fast. From here on in its going to light to moderate weathering, just like the prototype. Less is more I guess.

After lunch its down to the layout for the first time this year.

Some great looking modeling here on the Forum. You guys should be proud of your work and share more of it.

Trying not to break my New Year's resolutions, but so far of the 250 resolutions that I've made for 2021....maybe less than half remain unbroken and its only January 2nd!

Later......................

Greg

##################

Yesterday was both good and not so good here on the SFW estate.
Good - The traditional Prime Rib Roast before.

Willie: We had Prime Rib at our headquarters for the CM&N Railroad on New Year's day and to say the least, the roast was terrible!!! This roast we found was tied with butchers' string, the bottom third was bone, lots of fat and on top of it no taste. We called the butcher and they will refund our $$$ as they should. It should of been ground beef , not Prime Rib!

Send us a piece or two of your beautiful roast!!!

Thanks.

Greg

Good Morning---HAPPY NEW YEAR!---to all you model railroaders and beyond.....
Flo, you have a couple of sausage patties with hash browns on them, covered in gravy with a couple of over easy eggs on top? Sourdough toast w/blackberry jam & an oj, please & thanks!
Terry.....they might need a longer broom handle.... 😁
Willie....glad you got past the "stone" issue...ouch! That Prime Rib looks awesome...I can taste it from here.......👍
Guy....nice pics of the Canadian power, shows weathering nicely!

or just threw away another 10 bucks on the chance.
Guarantied not to win if you don't play!
Alan....Very Nice!

EVERY BODY STAY SAFE--HAVE FUN!

KARL - Spent way too much time trying to run down your color - but this may help?

1609619836757.png

1609619886614.png

It's Floquil "Light Blue" paint that I cut with Floquil "Reefer White" to varying degrees, depending on the amount of "fade" I wanted to represent.
Unfortunately, way back when these units were painted, I didn't write down a ratio of white to blue. Frankly, I didn't expect it to be over 20 years before I would paint another KC&G engine! (I think I have a bottle of KC&G "Gulf Coast Blue" out in my paint stash... I hope?)
Actually, I'm not too worried about mixing up some more "Gulf Coast Blue" I remember the "Light Blue/Reefer White" combo... it's the "Mountain Mist Gray" I'm concerned about. I can't remember what base gray I started with.
:mad:

I realize my info about the shade of blue wasn't much help... but it's the best I can do seeing as I don't have a ratio written down.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back