Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Afternoon all! A beautiful sunny albeit windy day. Looks like we should have some nice weather for a few days. Temps down in the 30's forecasted for later in the week.
Well yesterday I put on shorts, sun screen and sun hat (lied about the hat) and mowed the yard. Willie it was 10 days later than last year. I believe I mowed as many crawdad holes as blades of grass. It surprised me just how ragged the yard was till I started mowing.
Did have time to do some train watching on the layout.
Question. Does anyone here have a Kato steam loco with tender pickups. I am having difficulties keeping the rear truck on my FEF-3. As long as you pull the truck s ok, but if you back up into cars or with cars the truck falls loose. I'm not sure how it is supposed to lock, and afraid to apply too much force. Mine of coarse is N scale but I suspect HO would be mounted the same way.

Ok so under the hood of my Chessie GP7. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this thing has a decoder in it. Any thoughts?
20210131_170722.jpg

Ok so under the hood of my Chessie GP7. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this thing has a decoder in it. Any thoughts?
View attachment 124064
Justin, from the looks of it you may have a dual mode decoder there, The plug at the rear has 2 ways it fits. One set of holes its DC, the other it is DCC. I've got some older (2005) Atlas locos that are that way. Never seen this in a Proto before.

Justin, from the looks of it you may have a dual mode decoder there, The plug at the rear has 2 ways it fits. One set of holes its DC, the other it is DCC. I've got some older (2005) Atlas locos that are that way. Never seen this in a Proto before.
This is under the hood of my Atlas GP7. That's on me though as I failed to disclose that information. I owe you thanks though. This and my Atlas GP38 both jump to life when I use them. Unlike my Atlas U23B which is super smooth at all ranges. Just moving the plug made my GP7 come to life super smooth. I'm guessing the lights are burned up in this one though.

To put it accurately, ScaleTrains now has all the stuff to produce 18 different HO scale steam locomotives.

Then tack on the MILW Bi-Polars, Little Joes, and all the diesels and cars..

I am not thrilled with this move by ST but I believe they can make this succeed. I know no one personally that has had good experiences with MTH.

My issue is, do I change my pre-order to Milwaukee units and change the layout to 1980 Avery, Idaho, double decked? I always liked that RR town. Bipolar, Little Joe’s oh man I could go broke. Anyone need a Paper Mill and Grain complex? Will I live long enough? Decisions, decisions

TomO

I am not thrilled with this move by ST but I believe they can make this succeed. I know no one personally that has had good experiences with MTH.
The main spokesman, Shane, said the MTH stuff will have ESU loksound as the factory install, instead of MTH's stupid DCS stuff. That's the biggest hangup for MTH HO models. I'd trade my Little Joe for one with ESU with zero hesitation.
My issue is, do I change my pre-order to Milwaukee units and change the layout to 1980 Avery, Idaho, double decked? I always liked that RR town. Bipolar, Little Joe’s oh man I could go broke. Anyone need a Paper Mill and Grain complex? Will I live long enough? Decisions, decisions

TomO
Depending on how picky you are about realism, MILW's electrics were long gone when 1980 came around (and so was the line through there).

Hopefully SC will also weed out the inaccuracies in the MTH lineup.

One of these schemes never existed,

1612142813481.jpeg
20-91196.jpg

Here's your answer,

Original-Slide-MMID-Maryland-Midland-Caboose-15.jpg

Why they ever bothered with the 1st one is beyond me. Of course if SC ever does this caboose I'm sure the ladders, roofwalk , trucks and smokejack will all be remedied.

In weather news, been snowing here all day, and will til tomorrow. 4-5 inches on the deck, made a pass on the driveway earlier, we'll try again tomorrow!

In other news,
I bought the wife a new refrigerator, you should have seen her face light up when she looked inside! 😁 🤣 😀🤣😁

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back