Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave: I got a case coming and was told I have to share with the kids (darn kids!). Still will be gone by February if I didn't as I have the same intake issue.
As far as fires, I've actually had poutine and wish I could get it locally. Fries with gravy and cheese curds. What I have issue with is a local chain that has a fry sauce that is basically mayonnaise with a enough ketchup to turn it orange. Although it's probably better than straight mayo I used to dish out for people to dip fries in when I worked a Wendy's years ago.

On the Mickey D's fries, when the vegans got the beef tallow out of the restaurant, McDonald's added a beef flavoring that really peeved the vegans off. Now we're stuck with the so-so fries there. World's best fries they ain't.

<edit>
Willie: I understand the busy part. Whenever you have time is fine. I have some tree trimming work to do on the peach trees in next few weeks. I'm just now submitting insurance rebate forms I was given a month ago. Our cancer policy gives us a $50 rebate if you get certain screenings.
The local diocese did that with a lot of smaller parishes here as well. In some cases 4 churches handled by 1 priest.

Last edited:
Good morning. The only good French fries IMO at a fast service place are now no where. When they all switched oils, the French fry world to me went kaput. But, interesting discussion.

Hockey rink fries. I agree with Gary, fries were some of the best around. I was the Hockey association president for 6 years and 12 on the board. Our 2 best profit makers were the fries and popcorn. During high school games or youth weekend tournaments we had 3 people manning the fryers and big popcorn machine. That’s when oils were still oils in the 90’s and the early 2000’s.

I felt good yesterday around the noon hour. Pain killers were in full action. The hip is slightly sore this morning but no longer painful and I slept last night without any pain killers. So hopefully just a small scary set back. I did though laying on the ground Wednesday think my world was ending. That thought I can’t seem to be able to shake! But, hey there, there is no less drama on Tom’s medical front. No pain no gain so let’s have a nose bleed. Yes, the nosebleed is back this morning. It disappeared the day after my ice adventure. I did think to take my blood pressure during the bleed and it was elevated. Not crazy high, in the 140’s when 122 is my daily average at wake up. Hey, it’s me, got to have some excitement going on.

Today, packages to the post office before the white stuff now falling gets too deep. We either will get the 1/2” we already seem to have received since midnight when it was still clear or the 4-6” seemingly more likely since we passed the minimum, depending on the neighborhood you are in. The daughter, hubby and hockey player are off at noon for a hockey tournament in Hudson, Wi. about 4 hours driving on I94 west from here. We have the granddaughter after school today till Sunday. The daughter is finding out today how impractical her 4 seat speed demon SUV is in miserable Wisconsin weather. She decided yesterday to take her GMC SUV that I can’t remember the name of, it’s blue and big. 2 sets of parents, 2 hockey players, their equipment and luggage and room is still available for stuff, not people.

Wow, big flakes coming down that I now can see with the dawning light at 7:17am. A winter wonderland, now looking across the valley and pastures tinted with white. Geez, give me the green any day. But no shoveling this year for me…

enjoy the day

Willie, the one onthe left with the rust streak, that’s one of mine. How the heck did it get to Texas?
01613AB9-2916-416E-99B5-23EA1AC5F526.jpeg

I have 2 under frames that are missing cylinders and I have extras somewhere. But can I find the originals along the right of way? Heck no… At least until I find the ones in inventory and install them, then the old will show up!

Meanwhile, has anyone seen this bottle of CA? I left it there on Sunday and yesterday it was gone…
00E8596E-5A3E-4DCD-9112-4E448D6B254F.jpeg

next
next

My sister popped up a bit on her Facebook page about a cookie we used to get at home.

View attachment 157406

Steenstra's St Claus (Windmill) cookies. Can't get them here, but Meijer's sells them in the states where there are such stores. There's another store in Grand Rapids that I just ordered some from. I popped off the name of the place which surprised my wife that I even knew about it. Hopefully they aren't all broken when they get here. I knew about the place as I was going to order some for dad for Christmas before I made the run up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan before he passed.

We used to clean out the Grand Haven Meijer's store when we'd visit my grandmother and bring them back.

A bit on the story of St. Nicholas and these cookies:

Patrick, those Windmills look very familar. My sister might remember the brand we ate. Dad loved Windmills with milk. So that’s what we ate. Mom was not a baker. Terry is and we have not had store purchased cookies in our house I bet in 40 years.

Memories!

Hey, everyone!

Looking for advice on DIY N scale Cattails.

I have made a few plants using the imitation pine needles that fell off our Christmas wreaths. I saw all the loose needls litering the floor, and thought "cattails!"

I grouped anywhere from 3 to 5 pine needles, and clamped them into my old fly-tying jig and tied me up some cattails!

They look pretty good for being made from trash, lol. But I need to find something to simulate the brown part that ends up being all the seeds when it matures... not sure waht it's called, but you all know what I'm talking about... I have thin wire, but not sure what would make a good N scale sized "top" of the cattail.

Here's a pic with the individual plants inserted into a semi-cured pond. I think they came out looking fairly good.
1670601783738.png

Maybe a tiny diode painted brown?

Or, perhaps just dip teh end of a wire into liquid latex, let ir dry and paint it brown... That may work really well, and I have a whole bottle of liquid electrical tape.🤔

Last edited:
TomO: Those are made a few miles from where I and my father and grandfather were born. They seem to be mostly available through the Meijer's store chain. They may very well be ones you had in the past.
You know, I can taste them. Terry said nope she doesn’t make fancy windmills

With being close to the Chicago area I am sure back then I figured I might have had them.

love the memories
thanks

We are still talkin' about fries? OK so ya I like my fries that I do at home from real tater spuds. Fast food not so much as many has said they are now some kinda pasty nasty excrement of something. Although "5 Guys" actually have spuds and they use a good oil! I used to love an A&W stand in Eagle WI they did some of the best fries there back in the 70's. The when I was in Alabama this past spring I had Whataburger and their fries weren't too bad either. Later I went to Texas after I was in 'Bama I went to an "In-n-Out Burgers" for the first time and I was impressed with that as well.

Enough of that.....I wonder what I will do for dinner tonight. Suddenly I'm hungry....

Okay in train news....

I won 2 bids last night on a first ever for me..... Hubert's HO scale covered gondolas. I never own Hubert's product but I am curious to see how they are and will be. It cost me 27.95 each plus shipping of 12 bucks. We shall see. Has anyone used or have Hubert's products? What are your thoughts? I will post some of the pictures that was up on evil bay when I get home. I should have them by Wednesday next week though.

I also got a few items in the mail this week. I will share those on the RPO. I was happy to get another one of those Pan Am box cars by
Athearn. I also got an o'l D&H 2 bay hopper for my Saratoga & North Creek train which ran here locally.

This week has been wet with rains and in the 40's. No complaint there but today the winds are blowing from the north with a bite. Temps will be dropping. I may burn some wood this weekend. Snow is predicted for Sunday. Right now it's 37° F and dropping to 19° F. Tomorrow a high of 30° F.

Tonight might be a nice evening in the train room. No plans for anything else. I will check back later.

C-ya!

We are still talkin' about fries? OK so ya I like my fries that I do at home from real tater spuds. Fast food not so much as many has said they are now some kinda pasty nasty excrement of something. Although "5 Guys" actually have spuds and they use a good oil! I used to love an A&W stand in Eagle WI they did some of the best fries there back in the 70's. The when I was in Alabama this past spring I had Whataburger and their fries weren't too bad either. Later I went to Texas after I was in 'Bama I went to an "In-n-Out Burgers" for the first time and I was impressed with that as well.

Enough of that.....I wonder what I will do for dinner tonight. Suddenly I'm hungry....

Okay in train news....

I won 2 bids last night on a first ever for me..... Hubert's HO scale covered gondolas. I never own Hubert's product but I am curious to see how they are and will be. It cost me 27.95 each plus shipping of 12 bucks. We shall see. Has anyone used or have Hubert's products? What are your thoughts? I will post some of the pictures that was up on evil bay when I get home. I should have them by Wednesday next week though.

I also got a few items in the mail this week. I will share those on the RPO. I was happy to get another one of those Pan Am box cars by
Athearn. I also got an o'l D&H 2 bay hopper for my Saratoga & North Creek train which ran here locally.

This week has been wet with rains and in the 40's. No complaint there but today the winds are blowing from the north with a bite. Temps will be dropping. I may burn some wood this weekend. Snow is predicted for Sunday. Right now it's 37° F and dropping to 19° F. Tomorrow a high of 30° F.

Tonight might be a nice evening in the train room. No plans for anything else. I will check back later.

C-ya!
I have read stories about the guy who owned Huberts and the names of other various model RR companies he has owned. He was good with ideas but getting things done was his down fall. That said.

I have 2 wood chip hoppers from Hubert. That look exactly like the E&C wood chip hoppers. They are fine and we’re probably state of the art back in the late 80’s or 90’s.

As I always say, as long as your happy with something…

I have read stories about the guy who owned Huberts and the names of other various model RR companies he has owned. He was good with ideas but getting things done was his down fall. That said.

I have 2 wood chip hoppers from Hubert. That look exactly like the E&C wood chip hoppers. They are fine and we’re probably state of the art back in the late 80’s or 90’s.

As I always say, as long as your happy with something…

Hmmm....well I didn't think I could go wrong too bad at 27 and change for each one. I only got 2 of them. We will see how they look when I get them in my hands. I thought to myself they were about mid level products not high end. I guess the jury is still out on that. If I do not like them I will turn around and sell them. They are new in the box so there is that...

Hi Gary, I've been a big fan of MDC (Model Die Casting) and their kit locomotives, including the 2 Truck Shay and assembled a couple of them which with some careful adjustment and corrective measures can and due run great from point-to-point or short runs. Mine are all (DC)
I should add that my layout with hand laid weathered code 70 rail on the mainline and code 55 on the passing tracks and sidings is taking longer to complete the loop than expected so no continuous running yet.
I'm not sure about your Shay though as mine were all purchased prior to Athearn buying MDC ROUNDHOUSE about 10 years ago, so your Shay may have been reworked to iron out some of the kinks of getting the simulated drive line assembly working smoothly along with adding DCC ?

Evening All,

The new laptop came in today so MOH did the initial startup (she didn't trust me not to mess it up) and I ran it over to the computer guy to transfer everything to the new one. I should have it back Monday, so copying those famous words "I'll be back."

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back