Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you bought big suitcases!
I think he's bought several.

By the way, if you forget what something is called, simply say "I don't remember the English word for it". That way, people think you're multi-lingual, instead of an idiot.
A lot of Dutch are are tri-lingual, Dutch, English and German and some even speak Flemish too.

On a totally separate note, anyone know/have a Badger 250-3 Airbrush, thinking of getting one, but although I know the name, not sure, (as this is a cheaper version), how easy/good are they to use?

Last edited:
Ok Everyone, I'm going to wish you all a

1672526166686.png

A lot of Dutch are are tri-lingual, Dutch, English and German and some even speak Flemish too.

On a totally separate note, anyone know/have a Badger 250-3 Airbrush, thinking of getting one, but although I know the name, not sure, as this is a cheaper one, how easy/good are they to use?
I recently asked a professional model painter how much he spent on airbrushes and how many did he have. He claimed he had 1 airbrush and it cost him about 1/2 a DCC sound equipped HO scale locomotive. His brand is Itwata but never gave the model. He did say he had a few needles to use in it though.

Chris. I am a Badger airbrush fan. I needed to search the 250-3 and it is an inexpensive entry level brush that will provide coverage for you. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish this maybe a very good air brush for scenery, track and structure work. While it will work with railroad models I’m not sure how fine a spray you can dial it to. Not trying to burst any bubbles as I am sure you can get some good painting out of it.

I thought you posted a few months ago about an airbrush you already had.

On a totally separate note, anyone know/have a Badger 250-3 Airbrush, thinking of getting one, but although I know the name, not sure, (as this is a cheaper version), how easy/good are they to use?

A 250-3 isn't a true airbrush. They call it a spray gun. It has limits, the largest being it doesn't do fine work very well. If you want a Badger, I'd invest the money and get either a Patriot or an Anthem. They are good quality airbrushes and will last you forever with proper maintenance. I used to be a professional model painter, or at least I got paid for my work. My brand is also Iwata. I used to be, well I technically still am, an Iwata dealer, but I've owned several Badger airbrushes, and they work quite well. Buy a good quality one. Don't say to yourself "I'll buy a cheapie and get a better one when I improve". That's how you wind up with 10 airbrushes!

No matter what air brush you buy, expect a learning curve. Expect dry finishes and / or runs in the paint. Also experiment with different types of paint, ie water or solvent based. Find what you like and have good results with.
I cut my painting teeth painting 1:1 cars and trucks with lacquer and enamels, then models with Floquil. I never had good luck with water based acrylics but get great results with Tru-color (acetone based) paints.
As far as equipment either use bottled air or a compressor with a large tank. Small compressors can induce a pulse in air pressure that can lead to mottling of the finish. I’ve got sprayers from Pasche, Binks, and Badger , oddly enough my go to is a 60 year old Binks Wren handed down to me by my grandmother. She used it for ceramic and porcelain work, and I inherited it. It just feels “right” in my hands.
Your mileage may vary.

I recently asked a professional model painter how much he spent on airbrushes and how many did he have. He claimed he had 1 airbrush and it cost him about 1/2 a DCC sound equipped HO scale locomotive. His brand is Itwata but never gave the model. He did say he had a few needles to use in it though.

Chris. I am a Badger airbrush fan. I needed to search the 250-3 and it is an inexpensive entry level brush that will provide coverage for you. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish this maybe a very good air brush for scenery, track and structure work. While it will work with railroad models I’m not sure how fine a spray you can dial it to. Not trying to burst any bubbles as I am sure you can get some good painting out of it.

I thought you posted a few months ago about an airbrush you already had.
I did, but the airbrush I have is a cheap Chinese one, ($14), and it's been a real PIA, so after doing this re-paint, I think I may need a better one, I saw the Badger, and it's affordable for me, some are £150+, which for the amount of spray painting I'm likely to do is silly money, but only knowing the name doesn't help me find a decent airbrush, so I thought I'd ask.
Seen this one I quite like.

Last edited:
A 250-3 isn't a true airbrush. They call it a spray gun. It has limits, the largest being it doesn't do fine work very well. If you want a Badger, I'd invest the money and get either a Patriot or an Anthem. They are good quality airbrushes and will last you forever with proper maintenance. I used to be a professional model painter, or at least I got paid for my work. My brand is also Iwata. I used to be, well I technically still am, an Iwata dealer, but I've owned several Badger airbrushes, and they work quite well. Buy a good quality one. Don't say to yourself "I'll buy a cheapie and get a better one when I improve". That's how you wind up with 10 airbrushes!
Thank's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back