Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Foggy and 53°. This fog started yesterday morning and hasn't gone away yet. the rain that was predicted looked like it was headed this way two hours ago, but slid by north of the Red River into Oklahoma.Supposed to warm up into the 70's today, after a high of 58° yesterday. Still pretty much a mixed weather pattern until next Wednesday when it is supposed to get cold again. It will be the kind of weather pattern that almost requires an overnight fire in the heater, but because both my wife and I are kinda miserly, I will skip making one until Tuesday night. No fire for 11 days in December saves me a lot of wood. Temperature at night in the house has only been dropping to ~70°, and the SE facing windows in the living room coupled with cooking in the morning, heats the place up nicely.

Speaking of the wood burning stove, the chimney sweep made it by yesterday morning and did what appears to be a fine job. I won't know for sure until I start the next fire and check out the draft. Filled a five-gallon pail with creosote and then some. The overflow he vacuumed up. That's about the same amount that I used to get when I did it myself, once a year. He used a new to me method. I always just used an 8" wire brush from above and reamed it up and down, collecting the creosote in the pail. He used a rotating wire brush on a semi-flexible metal shaft and did the whole thing from the bottom up, and didn't have to get on the wet roof. I also appreciated the 10% cost reduction that they made because he was a day late.
Other stuff - Wife bought a new Christmas Tree from Amazon that arrived yesterday. We're replacing the older one that she got at a garage sale in the early 90's, after my friend moved from the property where I used to cut my own. I haven't opened the box yet, it's only 6' as opposed to the old 7.5' one. Safer to decorate when I don't have to use a stepstool. Of course I have two stepstools out in the train shed that I use a lot when working on the upper level, but it's not like leaning over an unstable tree.
It's Thursday once again, time for the weekly grocery/beer trek. If my wife goes, it could be a quick trip. If she stays home, I can shop for her Christmas present and go to Home Depot for that sheathing that I need to complete the backdrop in the train shed.

Thanks for the comments and reactions yesterday regarding my progress. It's slow, it's sure and I don't try to rush ballasting because it sucks to do it over.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued ballasting. I did more of the main line and took the time to do two switches at the north end of the complex.
IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

I took a bunch of pictures so I can post my ballasting technique later. It may be helpful to anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Patrick - I took photos yesterday as I added more ballast. I'll post them later after I get done with the grocery trek.
Steve J - Many folks who I know who had Covid, got over the initial effects within two weeks, but the residual effects lasted more than two months in many cases.
Ken (D&J) - Thankfully our church is small enough, ~350 parishioners total, that there is generally no nefarious activity there. Everyone knows everyone! And if there is someone in need, they generally don't have to ask because everyone already knows.
That was a quick fix on the layout.
Guy - The tank car issue is very minor. It isn't/wasn't any mistake, but it wasn't noticed. I'll turn all of the tankers the same way. Since they will never leave the layout, and I don't intend to turn them, (no wye of reverse loop), they will always line up.
Tom O - The grocery store shortages that I am seeing are very minor, nothing really runs out, but some favored brands do and one is left to decide which other one will be satisfactory. Of course I go early after the overnight re-stockers have done their jobs; it may be different later in the day.
I fully agree with your advice of "don't watch the installers". It can be very unnerving.
Don't go out of your way with my package, I can wait. Your comfort and recovery is primary
Hughie - My nemesis is the wet fallen leaves that stick to my shoes no matter how hard I wipe them on the mat, if I remember!

Today would have been the late Greg Allman's 74th birthday. It would also have been Jim Morrison's 79th.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all, -7° F to start warmed up to -1 allready. Beautiful sunshine, however; full moon and bright snow combine for a surreal night almost daylight I wish I was camping on nights like that, in a couple warm sleeping bags dozing off and on all night looking at the stars through some frosty pine boughs...

THANKS Jaz, Curt, anyone else I missed with the comments of the updated log cars posted yesterday

Smudge - I see your lunch time is my breakfast. Today I had Rice Crispies also an eggmcmuffin on the way to work. 2 big mugs of coffee already down the hatch

Patrick - luck and skill combined with your deer encounter this morning

Tom - hit by a scooter, OUCH, hope it heals fast.

We are headed to the cities tomorrow for a little getaway for the better half. Eating, shopping, Hub Hobbies all on the agenda. Reminds me I need to make a list for the hobby shop.

more later, Dave LASM

Good Morning All. Foggy and 53°. This fog started yesterday morning and hasn't gone away yet. the rain that was predicted looked like it was headed this way two hours ago, but slid by north of the Red River into Oklahoma.Supposed to warm up into the 70's today, after a high of 58° yesterday. Still pretty much a mixed weather pattern until next Wednesday when it is supposed to get cold again. It will be the kind of weather pattern that almost requires an overnight fire in the heater, but because both my wife and I are kinda miserly, I will skip making one until Tuesday night. No fire for 11 days in December saves me a lot of wood. Temperature at night in the house has only been dropping to ~70°, and the SE facing windows in the living room coupled with cooking in the morning, heats the place up nicely.

Speaking of the wood burning stove, the chimney sweep made it by yesterday morning and did what appears to be a fine job. I won't know for sure until I start the next fire and check out the draft. Filled a five-gallon pail with creosote and then some. The overflow he vacuumed up. That's about the same amount that I used to get when I did it myself, once a year. He used a new to me method. I always just used an 8" wire brush from above and reamed it up and down, collecting the creosote in the pail. He used a rotating wire brush on a semi-flexible metal shaft and did the whole thing from the bottom up, and didn't have to get on the wet roof. I also appreciated the 10% cost reduction that they made because he was a day late.
Other stuff - Wife bought a new Christmas Tree from Amazon that arrived yesterday. We're replacing the older one that she got at a garage sale in the early 90's, after my friend moved from the property where I used to cut my own. I haven't opened the box yet, it's only 6' as opposed to the old 7.5' one. Safer to decorate when I don't have to use a stepstool. Of course I have two stepstools out in the train shed that I use a lot when working on the upper level, but it's not like leaning over an unstable tree.
It's Thursday once again, time for the weekly grocery/beer trek. If my wife goes, it could be a quick trip. If she stays home, I can shop for her Christmas present and go to Home Depot for that sheathing that I need to complete the backdrop in the train shed.

Thanks for the comments and reactions yesterday regarding my progress. It's slow, it's sure and I don't try to rush ballasting because it sucks to do it over.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued ballasting. I did more of the main line and took the time to do two switches at the north end of the complex.
View attachment 157376
View attachment 157377
I took a bunch of pictures so I can post my ballasting technique later. It may be helpful to anyone who hasn't done it yet.

Patrick - I took photos yesterday as I added more ballast. I'll post them later after I get done with the grocery trek.
Steve J - Many folks who I know who had Covid, got over the initial effects within two weeks, but the residual effects lasted more than two months in many cases.
Ken (D&J) - Thankfully our church is small enough, ~350 parishioners total, that there is generally no nefarious activity there. Everyone knows everyone! And if there is someone in need, they generally don't have to ask because everyone already knows.
That was a quick fix on the layout.
Guy - The tank car issue is very minor. It isn't/wasn't any mistake, but it wasn't noticed. I'll turn all of the tankers the same way. Since they will never leave the layout, and I don't intend to turn them, (no wye of reverse loop), they will always line up.
Tom O - The grocery store shortages that I am seeing are very minor, nothing really runs out, but some favored brands do and one is left to decide which other one will be satisfactory. Of course I go early after the overnight re-stockers have done their jobs; it may be different later in the day.
I fully agree with your advice of "don't watch the installers". It can be very unnerving.
Don't go out of your way with my package, I can wait. Your comfort and recovery is primary
Hughie - My nemesis is the wet fallen leaves that stick to my shoes no matter how hard I wipe them on the mat, if I remember!

Today would have been the late Greg Allman's 74th birthday. It would also have been Jim Morrison's 79th.

Everybody have a great day.

THANKS for posting your track work!

350 parishioners? We have less than 90 with maybe 25-30 in attendance each Sunday. I think our building holds 100, the entire city of Finlayson holds about 300 people. I am ok with the small group. Gives some insight into the rural Minnesota communities and "country" churches. Even at that, there are 4 churches in the town of Finlayson.

Talk about being in the war's, think it might be prudent for you to stay indoors for the next few weeks.
I will not hide from the world! I will live it to the best of my abilities, even while I limp along.

Chris, thanks I’ll be fine. Who’d of thought anything like this would happen. Terry did get a call on voicemail from the parents of the kid who hit me. They apologized

Good morning all, -7° F to start warmed up to -1 allready. Beautiful sunshine, however; full moon and bright snow combine for a surreal night almost daylight I wish I was camping on nights like that, in a couple warm sleeping bags dozing off and on all night looking at the stars through some frosty pine boughs...

THANKS Jaz, Curt, anyone else I missed with the comments of the updated log cars posted yesterday

Smudge - I see your lunch time is my breakfast. Today I had Rice Crispies also an eggmcmuffin on the way to work. 2 big mugs of coffee already down the hatch

Patrick - luck and skill combined with your deer encounter this morning

Tom - hit by a scooter, OUCH, hope it heals fast.

We are headed to the cities tomorrow for a little getaway for the better half. Eating, shopping, Hub Hobbies all on the agenda. Reminds me I need to make a list for the hobby shop.

more later, Dave LASM
Dave, yep hit by a scooter! Not a glancing blow either.

Do you stop at Scale Model Supplies on Lexington in St Paul? The first time I walked in there I was very impressed, now I find that MidwestModelRailroad in Independence, Missouri blows it away but it was a great place. Been there 3 times before Covid, not at all since the riots.

Dave, yep hit by a scooter! Not a glancing blow either.

Do you stop at Scale Model Supplies on Lexington in St Paul? The first time I walked in there I was very impressed, now I find that MidwestModelRailroad in Independence, Missouri blows it away but it was a great place. Been there 3 times before Covid, not at all since the riots.
Scale model supplies, I incorrectly called it Hub Hobby. Come to think of it, Hub Hobby is on HWY 36 in roseville, does not have half the inventory as Scale Model Supplies.

Their neighborhood was hit by the Riots of 2020, although not as bad as areas to the west. As you know, their store is a basement with some tacky stuff on the street level.

The gas station at the corner was shuddered as well as several buildings along University Ave. During Covid they were still doing some business. I don't know how the Twin Cities has totally ignored the fallout of that failed policy of "let them riot, let it burn". Now, we have a 17 billion tax surplus. If housing wasn't so screwed up everywhere, I would be headed out to Montana or Wyoming!!!!

Drug deals can be seen in there vicinity, however the hobby shop is a long time fixture pre-dating much of the neighborhood blight.

As I understand it was US soldiers returning from WWI that coined the term "French Fries".

Side note: In Belgium, many places cook the fries in beef fat, and I love it! Some places also use lamb or mutton fat. Not as good as beef, in my opinion.

By any name, fried potatoes are great!

Last edited:
No, sausages in batter, (or battered sausages if you prefer), beans and medium chips.

"French fries" are definately an American invention, nothing to do with Christian or his family and friends. 😂

Supposedly the "French fry" comes from Belgium (French speaking). Whether the tale is true or not...

However a Belgian historian claims they are older and do come from France:

-----
Belgian food historian Pierre Leclercq has traced the history of the french fry and asserts that "it is clear that fries are of French origin".[32] Fries are first mentioned in 1775 in a Parisian book, and the first recipe for modern French fries is in the French cookbook La cuisinière républicaine in 1795. They became an emblematic Parisian dish in the 19th century. Frédéric Krieger, a Bavarian musician, learned to cook fries at a roaster on rue Montmartre in Paris in 1842, and took the recipe to Belgium in 1844, where he would create his business Fritz and sell "la pomme de terre frite à l'instar de Paris", 'Paris-style fried potatoes'.[33][34] The modern style of fries born in Paris around 1855 is different from the domestic fried potato that existed in the 18th century.

In 1673, Francisco Núñez de Pineda mentioned eating "papas fritas" in 1629, but it is not known what exactly these were. Fries may have been invented in Spain, the first European country in which the potato appeared from the New World colonies.[35] Professor Paul Ilegems, curator of the Frietmuseum in Bruges, Belgium, believes that Saint Teresa of Ávila of Spain cooked the first french fries, and refers also to the tradition of frying in Mediterranean cuisine as evidence.[36][37]

The French and Belgians have an ongoing dispute about where fries were invented.[38]

A Belgian frites shop
The myth of Belgian fries dates from around 1985. From the Belgian standpoint, the popularity of the term "french fries" is explained as "French gastronomic hegemony" into which the cuisine of Belgium was assimilated, because of a lack of understanding coupled with a shared language and geographic proximity of the countries.[38] The Belgian journalist Jo Gérard [fr] claimed that a 1781 family manuscript recounts that potatoes were deep-fried prior to 1680 in the Meuse valley, as a substitute for frying fish when the rivers were frozen.[29][36] Gérard never produced the manuscript that supports this claim, and "the historical value of this story is open to question".[39] In any case, it is unrelated to the later history of the french fry, as the potato did not arrive in the region until around 1735. In any case, given 18th-century economic conditions: "it is absolutely unthinkable that a peasant could have dedicated large quantities of fat for cooking potatoes. At most they were sautéed in a pan".[40]

----

Good Morning All!
26F and overcast.

Christmas Tree: Boy, *always* had a real tree that most of the time I/We got our butts outa the house and harvested one. About 3 years ago, Maria talked me into a fake one. Miss the smell of real although I probably could just grab some bows from a tree out back and put it near the fake one. This is so much easier - 3 pieces in a box and pretty much nothing has fallen off since we got it. Since we have young kittens, no other ornaments on the thing.

IMGP0516.JPG

Actually got out for a bit this am and found trains. One here to let ya know, the rest in ctclibby pix. This one is from East Troy, Eastbound train. Not much snow as the river keeps stuff warmer. In fact, most of Troy only has about 6" whereas we still are around 10 - 14". Supposed to be more snow for the next few day according to the weather guessers.

IMGP0510.JPG

Later

Actually according to Wikipedia they may indeed be French.
Both of us are wrong.🤔

Belgium
In winter, when the river froze, the fish-deprived villagers fried potatoes instead. It's said that this dish was discovered by American soldiers in Belgium during World War I and, since the dominant language of southern Belgium is French, they dubbed the tasty potatoes “French” fries

Good morning, a chilly 5° and it snowed during my entire commute, so visibility about 150', drove about 45 mph the whole way. Only added up to a couple inches, I think,

Christian- Clementine was a person in a familiar old time song (Oh my Darling). I suppose it could have been the name of a gold mine somewhere.

Curt - I purchased a reconditioned computer once. It lasted exactly 6 months then simply did not respond. Was a "Toughbook" proved not to be very tough. Will never buy a reconditioned one again, as it was a bit spendy. Since it worked fine out of the box I gave them a good rating. Wish I could go back and change that.

I worked on dulling down my log cars a little, just used some water/white/alcohol. Also added some fine dirt to the bed of the , also some bark, so far I like the way they turned out:

View attachment 157342

The focus is on the back log deck.

more later, Dave LASM
Dave: The flat car log load looks good as does the entire scene, I also really like the mile post 7 sign !

Something I noticed though is that there doesn't appear to be any fastener on the chains to tighten them-up to help prevent the logs from shifting. Possibly a bolt and nut through two links when the chain is doubled back on itself after going through the stake pocket. On one side there would been a come-along ratchet but that is very hard to model.

I'm envious of you though, and the progress you've made, which is giving me a kick in the butt to get back working on my layout.

My main push right now is to be able to get up on my roof and repair the leaks which due to poor health I was prevented from doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back