Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one side there would been a come-along ratchet but that is very hard to model.
Shapeways make them

Both of us are wrong.🤔

Belgium
In winter, when the river froze, the fish-deprived villagers fried potatoes instead. It's said that this dish was discovered by American soldiers in Belgium during World War I and, since the dominant language of southern Belgium is French, they dubbed the tasty potatoes “French” fries

Read the Wikipedia entry I posted. It gives a much more in depth history that links back to France much earlier than the Belgium story including some variation of French or France in their name. (And from a Belgian historian at that!)

Scale model supplies, I incorrectly called it Hub Hobby. Come to think of it, Hub Hobby is on HWY 36 in roseville, does not have half the inventory as Scale Model Supplies.

Their neighborhood was hit by the Riots of 2020, although not as bad as areas to the west. As you know, their store is a basement with some tacky stuff on the street level.

The gas station at the corner was shuddered as well as several buildings along University Ave. During Covid they were still doing some business. I don't know how the Twin Cities has totally ignored the fallout of that failed policy of "let them riot, let it burn". Now, we have a 17 billion tax surplus. If housing wasn't so screwed up everywhere, I would be headed out to Montana or Wyoming!!!!

Drug deals can be seen in there vicinity, however the hobby shop is a long time fixture pre-dating much of the neighborhood blight.
Dave: Housing is going back down in my neck of the woods. House that Chet was sorta interested in has gone from $600K to $400K with a 'motivated buyer' - so it is kinda make offer and see what you get. Think that it is close to 3 acres in the County about 1/2 mile from City Limits and bout 1 mile from SR2 - 2nd property South from ours. Not a huge house, but BIG shop and garage.

Later

[edit] that should have been 'motivated seller' - sorry

Last edited:
Louis: Mikey D's used to fry their fries in beef tallow. Then the militant vegans got their way. They quit tasting as good when that happened. Now there are better places for then.

DQ and BK put a coating on their fries, so they taste less like potato. I prefer peanut oil or lard anymore. The wife's cardiologist prefers neither nor it's vegetable oil replacement. So we don't do either very often.

Last edited:
My sister popped up a bit on her Facebook page about a cookie we used to get at home.

872573-PKG-6-300x300.jpg

Steenstra's St Claus (Windmill) cookies. Can't get them here, but Meijer's sells them in the states where there are such stores. There's another store in Grand Rapids that I just ordered some from. I popped off the name of the place which surprised my wife that I even knew about it. Hopefully they aren't all broken when they get here. I knew about the place as I was going to order some for dad for Christmas before I made the run up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan before he passed.

We used to clean out the Grand Haven Meijer's store when we'd visit my grandmother and bring them back.

A bit on the story of St. Nicholas and these cookies:

Louis: Mikey D's used to fry their fries in beef tallow. Then the militant vegans got their way. They quit tasting as good when that happened. Now there are better places for then.
I did not know that!

I too like my fries to taste like potatoes.

I do like "western fries" Here western fries are deep fried thick, wedge sliced potatoes coated with fried chicken batter. They are so thick they still taste like potatoes.

We deep fry in canola oil. but we don't do it often.

Good morning.
It's foggy and 61.
"French fries" refers to the way the potatoes are cut before cooking, not the country of origin.

Morning all,

I need a quiet day. Was supposed to be foggy on the way to work, but clear and 32° was all I noticed. It is supposed to get to the 50's today. I'll believe it when I see it.

Just got a pop-up, seems I'm by myself today as the boss just called in and the 2 techs were scheduled off.

Oh well...gotta get to it.

Good morning all; I have to weigh in on the french fry discussion as it is so important. Canadians and some hockey fans in the US and elsewhere might be able to relate as well; but french fries in the deep fryer at your local cold hockey arena were the best ever in my opinion until they switched to air fryers. It was the pinnacle of treats in my early days.

Train related, I am purchasing an old roundhouse shay this weekend with some log cars and caboose (with DCC) for $100 cdn with no shipping. Hopefully it will look and run good when I get there (an hours drive).

Anybody have one of these; that can offer opinions?

Last edited:
Good morning all, 17F and bright moonlight at the present. Heading down to the cities in a couple hours with Wife, have a vacation day today to go to the cities and buy some STUFF.

Patrick - Windmill cookies are one of my favorites. We often end up with the cheap brand, however have tasted some high end ones and have difficult time controlling my intake.

George - I have some Roundhouse log cars, the skeleton ones. Kit came with 3 cars. I don't have them on the layout cause they were designed for 20' logs and we cut our logs 16'6" in the midwest. Thats why I use the flat cars. Still holding on to the skeleton cars cause I like the way they look. They are super light, however, and want a load to do good on the track.

Todd - We have that low 3 percent interest and any purchase up would be pretty tough to swallow at my income level. A person has to dream, however...

I toyed with purchasing the roundhouse shay, however have too many other projects in my head. I think they are trustworthy locos.

French fries, I would rather be eating them then talking about them! I used to live on the Canadian border, and they would serve the fries with a brown gravy. It really grows on a person. Wife likes hers soaked in Ketchup. I will take mine any way.

While scrolling through pics, found this one I took a week or so ago, a nice little fella watching the sheep

IMG_2918r.JPG

Plan to be back tomorrow late in the day...

Be good, Santa's watching

Dave LASM

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 53° around here, clouds will keep it from warming up much more than 60° today. And with the wind slightly out of the NE, it will be back to jeans today. Real winter returns next Tuesday night.
Starting yesterday or today depending on where you live, the sun sets later in the evening despite the days still getting shorter. Sunrise still gets later in the morning until about January 4th. I don't remember off-hand what this phenomenon is called, but it exists.

Grocery/beer trek went without a hitch yesterday, but I spent too much. Wife went along and purchased items that weren't on the list! Since she went along, I didn't stop for her Christmas gift or stop by HD for wood. Gasoline dropped again to $2.69/gallon in many places.
Busy day today. I have a 9:15 appointment with a new to me doctor, a Pulmonologist to check out my recent chest X-ray and the wheezing in my lungs. the shortness of breath has led to a reduction in energy levels. Then this evening we drive to North Dallas for my granddaughter's birthday party at a restaurant there that we have eaten at a number of times. It's one of her favorite places and coincidentally was also the favorite of a late friend.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding my progress.

I did a lot more ballasting out in the train shed yesterday, No boring pictures yet.
In between, I started painting detail parts over on the workbench. None will bee in this scene, but they were all in some stages of completion on the shelf that I removed at the start of this project.
I painted a bicycle and rider to use elsewhere.
IMG_2611.JPG

Then I touched up an armored car with dabs of metallic paint.
IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

I am still searching for the origin of freight car parts found on the periodic layout clean up projects.
IMG_2610.JPG

And a stack of other stuff.
IMG_2608.JPG

David - The 1500 watt ceramic heater is the best you can get without going to 240v. Energy efficiency among all makes is about the same. A lot depends on wind direction and velocity, and where the garage door is facing; but a room that size will stay about 20° warmer than outside temperatures. However, you have to have the heater on prior to cold weather. It will maintain temperatures, but it will not heat it up very rapidly from a cold start. That's where the thermostat comes in handy.
Troy - You do look like you're enjoying yourself, but if it was me, I would be by the pool looking at the eye candy instead of looking at the ocean.
Tom O - What an unfortunate turn of events at the doctor's office! I would dangle the threat of a lawsuit even though I would probably not follow through, just in the hope that the parents start to maintain some degree of discipline over their wayward offspring.
Dave B - The 350 parishioners is a best case scenario. The dioceses closed down two nearby Catholic churches because there aren't enough priests any more. Our parish is without a pastor right now, and has been since the previous one retired. So we have visiting priests for every service. They usually come up from Ft Worth on Saturday for Saturday evening Mass and stay overnight in the rectory for two Masses on Sunday morning. Capacity of the church is ~125, but is generally not always full except Christmas and Easter. I would guess that over a third of the active parishioners are older than me.
Copy of 2011 09 14 St Peters Lindsay 005.jpg

While it looks like a brick building, it is actually carved and painted wood. It was built in 1903 and it has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
Todd - I like the smell of real evergreens as well, but as my wife got older she started having issues with the smell.
I am also curious about the warning sign to hi-rail vehicles in the BNSF photo.
Patrick - I haven't forgotten the ballast pictures, just been really busy.

Everyone have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back