Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrιstιaη

In France it is already December 1st. So it's the new place to be. Tell everyone !

999996.jpg

Good morning, Everybody!

Thank you, Curt, for your kind thoughts.

Thank you, Willie, for letting me know it is December and the new Coffee shop is open.

Being self-employed most of my life a paid day off is only something I knew of long ago. Working seven days a week is normal for me. On the other hand, I never faced disciplinary action for taking a day off. At this point in my life, I do take days off. Sometimes two days, rarely three. days off/month. Last month I took four days off, I can't remember the last time I did that!

Once again, I am glad, I am not the King.

Good Morning All. Clear and 31°. Wasn't supposed to get this cold, but I have observed over the years that Mother Nature doesn't pay any attention the the weather geeks. Settled weather for the next week or so.

Weekly grocery trek today. It's been two weeks and the fridge and freezer look bare. Although in reality, I could eat from the freezer for close to a month before it's really bare. Hell! I still have two turkeys, two prime ribs, assorted bags full of chicken parts, two pork shoulders and a chuck roast in there. Frozen veggies are not plentiful this year and I haven't started on the wintertime bread making ritual yet. Wife went Christmas shopping the other day and came home with a rack of baby-back ribs as well. But it looks bare compared to the mass that's usually in there.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the scenes that I posted yesterday.

Out in the train shed, I started a bit early on my initial major project for 2023. You may recall that I posted that I was going to start development on a 2' x 24' section of the upper level that currently just has track running over it. Well I started with some preliminary stuff like clearing everything off, well most everything. Since I still have 16' of backdrop to put up, that's where I started the clearing. First I had to remove a temporary storage shelf that I put up five or six years ago.
IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

Shelf is now gone. The upper one is still there but will not be in the way. Then I made an unpleasant discovery. Only one of my two remaining sheets of sheathing that I use for backdrops measured 16" tall. What to do? Put up a piece that's only 14.5" or wait until I can buy another larger piece. I decided that I will go to Home Depot and get a proper sized piece, but I can't do it while I have a passenger in the car. Maybe this weekend. I'll get the one that I have installed today and then brush paint the plywood an earth brown color; and also spray paint the track, roadbed and ties. Only the first four rows of track here are spiked down, as I haven't determined the final configuration yet. At least I can start ballasting by early next week.

Curt - Thank you. I am a believer that signs along with figures can really add a lot to a layout. Late forum member Garry also was a sign fanatic.
Dave B - Regarding dusting: To me it depends on what it is. Running stock and structures I remove from the layout and do my dusting with one of several soft paintbrushes, 3/4" and 1.5". I do it over in the corner over a shallow box in case I knock a part off. The layout itself I use a hand-held vacuum with a piece of stocking over the inlet to catch loose scenery or parts. The dust mostly goes through the material. I have to wipe away cobwebs as they accumulate.
Todd - Worst case scenario here is that I have to get an umbrella to get to the train shed. I have a spare out there as well in case I need one for a return trip.

Bette Midler is 77 today. She had some stuff that I liked.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Crew from the rolling hills of So. Central Wisconsin. It’s a very nice calm and bright morning. 14f
degrees feeling like 14 heading to a comfortable 36 as winds should remain calm during the daylight hours. Yes, one can acclimate to the temperature.

Doctor appointment at 2:30 to go over my labs from a couple weeks ago. The house is being shown this afternoon and our realtor asked for 2 AtV’s to tour the property with. Our realtor yesterday was quite happy when she notified us. Said if this happens she will buy our coach friend airline tickets to anywhere in the USA as he told the lookers about our place. That gIves me a clue who it might be.

Louis, the pill sorter also tells me the day of the week. You are not alone for that. The date, rarely can I tell you without looking at the cell phone

Our regular Amazon driver I was told yesterday took a different route. The current deliveries have been left at the gate instead of the house entrance way. There is a spot there facing away from the County Highway but until recently Amazon had delivered to the entranceway. The rest of the delivery services still do. Amazon has the key pad code. Seems the majority of the packages since T-Giving have been Amazon. Not complaining but the lady who I caught delivering while I was walking the driveway said she is working many more hours then she wants but needs the job. I never thought to ask if she had the code. The conversation didn’t last a minute, she was on the move…

My rehab stuff was done on my own this morning. The therapist/trainer is coming every other day now. It’s one thing to swim in the pool but to walk for rehab in it is different. I guess I never realized the amount of effort it takes to walk in 4’ of water. 15 minutes and I am exhausted.

I have to straighten the work bench area for the realtor tour this afternoon. Basically I put my sharp objects back in the drawers same thing I do when the grandkids are here. The timers for the outdoor display lights have been installed by the electrician. Digital and yesterday they all popped on at once at 3:50pm and off at 11. I am happy never to have to set those dial timers ever again. Read spoiled!

Because of my knee I am behind my schedule for the paper mill. Spoke quite a bit with the client last night and I can proceed again as his new ideas I can do of course but basically would have needed to start the bench work over. We had been discussing this project every few weeks since I gave him drawings in August. To commission the job and then 1 week in decide on major changes just makes no sense to me. I have been working on structures but now can assemble the bridges that will be on the connecting drop downs over the 5’ river aisle. I have the shipping warehouse and the separate maintenance warehouse sitting near the paint booth. I completed as I watched you tube videos of Fleetwood Mac concerts, 15 trees. 110 more to go. The trees I am working on are not for the neighborhood to the left of the tracks but for the pulp yard are and alone the road to the left of the shipping warehouse. He is building the neighborhood trees as he didn’t want to pay what I wanted for them.
4A94CA50-32FD-4E55-A31D-4A052FF32196.jpeg

have a great day

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 31°. Wasn't supposed to get this cold, but I have observed over the years that Mother Nature doesn't pay any attention the the weather geeks. Settled weather for the next week or so.

Weekly grocery trek today. It's been two weeks and the fridge and freezer look bare. Although in reality, I could eat from the freezer for close to a month before it's really bare. Hell! I still have two turkeys, two prime ribs, assorted bags full of chicken parts, two pork shoulders and a chuck roast in there. Frozen veggies are not plentiful this year and I haven't started on the wintertime bread making ritual yet. Wife went Christmas shopping the other day and came home with a rack of baby-back ribs as well. But it looks bare compared to the mass that's usually in there.

Out in the train shed, I started a bit early on my initial major project for 2023. You may recall that I posted that I was going to start development on a 2' x 24' section of the upper level that currently just has track running over it. Well I started with some preliminary stuff like clearing everything off, well most everything. Since I still have 16' of backdrop to put up, that's where I started the clearing. First I had to remove a temporary storage shelf that I put up five or six years ago.
View attachment 156984
View attachment 156985
Shelf is now gone. The upper one is still there but will not be in the way. Then I made an unpleasant discovery. Only one of my two remaining sheets of sheathing that I use for backdrops measured 16" tall. What to do? Put up a piece that's only 14.5" or wait until I can buy another larger piece. I decided that I will go to Home Depot and get a proper sized piece, but I can't do it while I have a passenger in the car. Maybe this weekend. I'll get the one that I have installed today and then brush paint the plywood an earth brown color; and also spray paint the track, roadbed and ties. Only the first four rows of track here are spiked down, as I haven't determined the final configuration yet. At least I can start ballasting by early next week.

Curt - Thank you. I am a believer that signs along with figures can really add a lot to a layout. Late forum member Garry also was a sign fanatic.
Dave B - Regarding dusting: To me it depends on what it is. Running stock and structures I remove from the layout and do my dusting with one of several soft paintbrushes, 3/4" and 1.5". I do it over in the corner over a shallow box in case I knock a part off. The layout itself I use a hand-held vacuum with a piece of stocking over the inlet to catch loose scenery or parts. The dust mostly goes through the material. I have to wipe away cobwebs as they accumulate.
Todd - Worst case scenario here is that I have to get an umbrella to get to the train shed. I have a spare out there as well in case I need one for a return trip.

Willie, I forget but is that where the ethanol plant is being placed? Nice space.

Bette Midler, agree some of her stuff was fine. We saw her do a Vegas show years ago. I can’t remember the name but it was worth every penny for the tickets. She has quite the stage presence

View attachment 156984
View attachment 156985

Willie: Lucky guy! Train cave is only about 120Ft from the house back door so I figured that the umbrella out there could go away. If it is raining THAT hard, I probably could do a shower anyway so no big deal all-in-all. Hmmm, must be doing pretty good with the shower thing as the wife has not told me 'You Stink' for quite awhile. Still have brooms both sides which work for the dry snow. Wet snow on the other hand requires more attention and I usually don't screw with it until later.
I don't remember, but didn't you get snow ...um... last year or the year before when all the power problems happened?

Later

Morning everyone! December 1st????? Holy moly where does the time go?

Well I got a surprise call yesterday afternoon when I was at the office. Mom and Pops have COVID. They think they got it at church this past Sunday. So on my way home yesterday from the office I made a stop at CVS and the local grocery store, got ton of supplies for them. I dropped off everything on the front porch and called them to let them know I made their delivery. I talked with Pops this morning. He said he has a headache and cough. Mom says it is in her chest and is coughing as well. I told them both to stay hydrated as this was key. I got Gatorade and complete Ensure chocolate and vanilla shakes for them as well as our local water Saratoga water (free). They are on the well water with Culligan filter system but it is not as good as the Saratoga water. Anyhow I will be busy looking after them. They will have soup for lunch today. My older sister who had heart surgery is doing ok on the recovery. I spoke with her yesterday as well. The lab test came back on the removed tumor came back negative so that was good news. Pops had to cancel his doctor appointment and is scheduling a web x conference call with the doctor to review all of his test results. I am praying that there will be no issues. Stress levels are up for me but I will need to decompress soon.

Weather here has been moderate for this time of the year. Very windy as of late though. It was 27 this morning. The last 2 days nothing but rain. Today we are supposed to get some white stuff then Saturday more rain. I am in the office today. I plan on making stops on the way home today for any other additional supplies for mom n pops. I think I will work in the train room tonight. Last night I passed out and went to bed early as this is unusual for me. I usually don't hit the sack until midnight or later. I guess my body said recharge....

Well nothing exciting on the train front but I did get the sanding tower for the diesel facility that will be going on the layout. 17 bucks. I will post that later. I also got 2 new hoppers coming to me and a GM EMD E9 #951 coming to me as well. Got it cheap 70 bucks. It will go with UP #949 of course that I already have. I will post all of this later.

Ya'll have a good day and stay warm and healthy!

Good Morning All!
26F and overcast.
Weather guessers say 'more snow' - Joy!

Looks like we ended up with about 14" of the white stuff total. No idea if anything came down last night.

ACE finally came through with the brackets to put up the new LED lighting fixtures. Currently have 16 ( 40w + 40W ) dual tube florescent fixtures that are gonna go away. I have not specifically checked with a current meter, but from the product specification the power draw is somewhere near 20W which could cut my usage quite a bit depending on how many I put up. I will figure if I really need more than 12 of the new; bought 18 JIC. The new has 5 petals each fixture, plus one pointed down using those 'super bright' LEDs. Time will tell to see how fast the meter turns.

Later

Good Morning All!
26F and overcast.
Weather guessers say 'more snow' - Joy!

Looks like we ended up with about 14" of the white stuff total. No idea if anything came down last night.

ACE finally came through with the brackets to put up the new LED lighting fixtures. Currently have 16 ( 40w + 40W ) dual tube florescent fixtures that are gonna go away. I have not specifically checked with a current meter, but from the product specification the power draw is somewhere near 20W which could cut my usage quite a bit depending on how many I put up. I will figure if I really need more than 12 of the new; bought 18 JIC. The new has 5 petals each fixture, plus one pointed down using those 'super bright' LEDs. Time will tell to see how fast the meter turns.

Later
14" ? Glad we did not get hit with that, I just am not ready for it yet psychologically. We got nothing at work but 60 miles away where I live we got about 5". Still I did some shovelling, I bought one of those big scoops you push and dump, they work really slick and maybe will be sidelining the snow blower, we will see.

Good morning, all and merry December. A nice sunny, but cool morning, about 55 degrees.
Flo, my favorite please, breakfast tacos, no beans.

After breakfast and my 3rd cup of coffee, I'm considering mowing the yard. Should be the last time this year. I'd like to put up the Christmas lights this weekend, so I need to mow today or tomorrow. I'm still in shorts, and the forecast isn't indicating the need for big boy pants any time soon.

No progress on the Val-U fuel and Oil yesterday as we went grocery shopping yesterday. Hopefully some progress will be made today and tomorrow.

As Guy would say, "just throwing down a photo"

1669914700889.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Last edited:
Our regular Amazon driver I was told yesterday took a different route. The current deliveries have been left at the gate instead of the house entrance way. There is a spot there facing away from the County Highway but until recently Amazon had delivered to the entranceway. The rest of the delivery services still do. Amazon has the key pad code. Seems the majority of the packages since T-Giving have been Amazon. Not complaining but the lady who I caught delivering while I was walking the driveway said she is working many more hours then she wants but needs the job. I never thought to ask if she had the code. The conversation didn’t last a minute, she was on the move…
I've got a similar situation, with a much shorter distance.

I laminated a sign, asking all packages to be placed inside the gate, on the porch.

Whenever they go the extra few steps, I make sure to give a thumbs up 👍with a "Delivered with care" compliment on the email notification that asks "How was your delivery?"

It works in my case. They've been coming into the gate and walking the additional 20 steps in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back